Rookie-building DB-want to get right the first time! Help?

Rookie user: Access 2007, Using “Picture Yourself Learning: Microsoft Access
2007” as reference guide.
Need suggestions for how to structure what seems to me to be a very
complicated DB. I want to build it the best way the first time, so I don’t do
a lot of work and not have it do what I need.
Here’s what I need to do:
Track GIS datasets  for about 50 natural and environmental  hazards.
The data itself does not need to be tracked. I do need to track its source
(National, State, County or City data) and know its  date of creation, and
frequency of updates for example.
I don’t know whether to create one Table with tons of fields, and then try
to figure out queries. Or should I create tables for each specific hazard
like Earthquake, Flood, etc.?  Should I create tables for each source of data
such as National, State, County and each  City from which I obtain data?
What I want to be able to do is easily determine which updates to which data
need to happen when, which data came from which source, what data is
available for each specific hazard and what datasets overlap at the National,
State, County and City levels.

Here’s an example: I have data from the National Wetlands Inventory that is
updated annually.
I also have data from the County that is updated quarterly. The State and
the Cities have no additional data. I need to be able to know, for 50
different hazards or issues, the source of the data, how often it’s updated,
a scheduled reminder when it’s time  to update if possible, and a field with
a hyperlink to the actual data or metadata.

My reference book includes instructions on Creating a DB, Creating and
Editing Tables, Improving Table Design and Creating Relationships, Creating
Forms, Creating Simple Queries, Creating Queries that filter and Summarize
Data and Creating Reports. I think it’s a beginner type book – well it must
be, if I’m able to sort of understand it. But I’m hoping someone who
understands the whole picture can tell me what parts to build and where. I
can follow directions, but can’t see the forest for the trees at this point.

Any help would be extremely appreciated, and paid forward!

YOU understand the whole picture, much better than we can!

I agree that you're much better off to get your table structure down right
before you move on.

I strongly recommend against committing spreadsheet on Access (one table,
tons of fields).  You will always be revising that table and your queries,
reports, forms, etc if you use that approach.

What are the "things" about which you want to keep data?  These are the
"entities" in relational database design.

In your situation, it sounds like [Hazards], [Sources] and [Datasets].

Now, how are they related ("relationship")?  Can you have one [Hazard]
(e.g., "earthquake") that shows up in many [Datasets]? (guessing yes).  Can
you have one [Source] that shows up in many [Datasets]? (again, guessing
yes).

Then your [Dataset] table would probably have a field for the [Hazard], a
field for the [Source], and a field for the datetime that it was created.
I'm not sure I understand if the frequency of update is being calculated
from the other data, or is a piece of data in its own right.

Good luck!  Post back with further questions!  That's how most of us
learned.

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"SandraRae2000" <SandraRae2000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Rookie user: Access 2007, Using "Picture Yourself Learning: Microsoft
> Access
> 2007" as reference guide.
> Need suggestions for how to structure what seems to me to be a very
> complicated DB. I want to build it the best way the first time, so I don't
> do
> a lot of work and not have it do what I need.
> Here's what I need to do:
> Track GIS datasets  for about 50 natural and environmental  hazards.
> The data itself does not need to be tracked. I do need to track its source
> (National, State, County or City data) and know its  date of creation, and
> frequency of updates for example.
> I don't know whether to create one Table with tons of fields, and then try
> to figure out queries. Or should I create tables for each specific hazard
> like Earthquake, Flood, etc.?  Should I create tables for each source of
> data
> such as National, State, County and each  City from which I obtain data?
> What I want to be able to do is easily determine which updates to which
> data
> need to happen when, which data came from which source, what data is
> available for each specific hazard and what datasets overlap at the
> National,
> State, County and City levels.
>
> Here's an example: I have data from the National Wetlands Inventory that
> is
> updated annually.
> I also have data from the County that is updated quarterly. The State and
> the Cities have no additional data. I need to be able to know, for 50
> different hazards or issues, the source of the data, how often it's
> updated,
> a scheduled reminder when it's time  to update if possible, and a field
> with
> a hyperlink to the actual data or metadata.
>
> My reference book includes instructions on Creating a DB, Creating and
> Editing Tables, Improving Table Design and Creating Relationships,
> Creating
> Forms, Creating Simple Queries, Creating Queries that filter and Summarize
> Data and Creating Reports. I think it's a beginner type book - well it
> must
> be, if I'm able to sort of understand it. But I'm hoping someone who
> understands the whole picture can tell me what parts to build and where. I
> can follow directions, but can't see the forest for the trees at this
> point.
>
> Any help would be extremely appreciated, and paid forward!

0
Jeff
2/2/2010 7:50:38 PM
Do what Jeff said.

Adding / reinforcing the fine points, start by pushing your Access book and
the computer aside and decide on what the ENTITIES that you want to database
are, and what the relationships are between them.   You might even discuss
that further here in this forum at this early important stage.

My first guess is that main main entity is dtatsets, which are instances of
receiving data, or, more specifically, instances of data being recorded or
summarized by your sources.

"Sources" will probably be another major table.  If so, a good guess would
be to put a SourceID autonumber PK field in your Sources table, and an
integer "SourceID" FK field in your Datasets table and link those two fields.

"Hazards" will probably be more of a "lookup table" to fill a "hazard" field
in your Datasets table.

Good luck!

I'm trying these things you suggested, but what is FK?

"Fred" wrote:

> Do what Jeff said.
>
> Adding / reinforcing the fine points, start by pushing your Access book and
> the computer aside and decide on what the ENTITIES that you want to database
> are, and what the relationships are between them.   You might even discuss
> that further here in this forum at this early important stage.
>
> My first guess is that main main entity is dtatsets, which are instances of
> receiving data, or, more specifically, instances of data being recorded or
> summarized by your sources.
>
> "Sources" will probably be another major table.  If so, a good guess would
> be to put a SourceID autonumber PK field in your Sources table, and an
> integer "SourceID" FK field in your Datasets table and link those two fields.
>
> "Hazards" will probably be more of a "lookup table" to fill a "hazard" field
> in your Datasets table.
>
> Good luck!

Hi Sandra,

In order to answer your last question:

I know you're having some trouble on this first step for your medium
complexity situation, but most people would, and that's what this design
discussion group is for.  Are you somewhat fluent on the the basics of Access
design, like queries, forms etc?

Will this dtatbase need to be used by other people who will know absolutely
nothing about Access?  If so, you will probably need to get substantial help
from a developer.

How much time to you have to get this up and running?

PS:  Don't use anybody who hits you up for money in these free advice forums.

FK is foreign key'and PK is primary key. You need to understand what these 2
extremely important concepts are. I suggest googling them.
Basically, a PK is a column (or columns) in a table that uniquely identifies
a row. A Fk is a reference to a PK from a related table.
-- Dorian
eat for a lifetime".

"SandraRae2000" wrote:

> I'm trying these things you suggested, but what is FK?
>
> "Fred" wrote:
>
> > Do what Jeff said.
> >
> > Adding / reinforcing the fine points, start by pushing your Access book and
> > the computer aside and decide on what the ENTITIES that you want to database
> > are, and what the relationships are between them.   You might even discuss
> > that further here in this forum at this early important stage.
> >
> > My first guess is that main main entity is dtatsets, which are instances of
> > receiving data, or, more specifically, instances of data being recorded or
> > summarized by your sources.
> >
> > "Sources" will probably be another major table.  If so, a good guess would
> > be to put a SourceID autonumber PK field in your Sources table, and an
> > integer "SourceID" FK field in your Datasets table and link those two fields.
> >
> > "Hazards" will probably be more of a "lookup table" to fill a "hazard" field
> > in your Datasets table.
> >
> > Good luck!

BTW that was just my first guess, not knowing the details of your
business/agency.  But a good place to start, even if imperfect.
FK = Foreign Key

To answer this and your linking question.

Let's say that you just entered a new Source, the city of Las Vegas, NV.
You have an autonumber PK field  named   SourceID. When you entered that
record, Access automatically gave it a source ID number of 1234.

Now you have your first two datasets:  December 2009 Plutonium leaks, and
January 2010 Plutonium leaks.  You want to enter these and record where they
came from via a link.  There are three steps to linking:

One time:    Put an integer (not autonumber)  field called
"IDNUmberofSourceofThisDataset"   (or "SourceID" as I said before is also OK)
  into your Dataset table.  This defines the intended use of this field as a
"Foreign Key" ....FK is  a USE, not a structure setting in Access like PK.

One time:  Open the relationships window and draw a line between this field
and the "SourceID" field in your source table.

When adding those two DataSet Record, write "1234"  in your
"IDNUmberofSourceofThisDataset" field.

Later this loading of the field and and use of the links gets automated by
forms.

If the responses you have gotten are all greek to you, I would like to offer
tp build the database for you. I provide help with Access, Excel and Word
applications for a small fee. My fee to help you would be very reasonable.
Contact me and let's discuss how we can work together to create your
database.

Steve
santus@penn.com

"SandraRae2000" <SandraRae2000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Rookie user: Access 2007, Using "Picture Yourself Learning: Microsoft
> Access
> 2007" as reference guide.
> Need suggestions for how to structure what seems to me to be a very
> complicated DB. I want to build it the best way the first time, so I don't
> do
> a lot of work and not have it do what I need.
> Here's what I need to do:
> Track GIS datasets  for about 50 natural and environmental  hazards.
> The data itself does not need to be tracked. I do need to track its source
> (National, State, County or City data) and know its  date of creation, and
> frequency of updates for example.
> I don't know whether to create one Table with tons of fields, and then try
> to figure out queries. Or should I create tables for each specific hazard
> like Earthquake, Flood, etc.?  Should I create tables for each source of
> data
> such as National, State, County and each  City from which I obtain data?
> What I want to be able to do is easily determine which updates to which
> data
> need to happen when, which data came from which source, what data is
> available for each specific hazard and what datasets overlap at the
> National,
> State, County and City levels.
>
> Here's an example: I have data from the National Wetlands Inventory that
> is
> updated annually.
> I also have data from the County that is updated quarterly. The State and
> the Cities have no additional data. I need to be able to know, for 50
> different hazards or issues, the source of the data, how often it's
> updated,
> a scheduled reminder when it's time  to update if possible, and a field
> with
> a hyperlink to the actual data or metadata.
>
> My reference book includes instructions on Creating a DB, Creating and
> Editing Tables, Improving Table Design and Creating Relationships,
> Creating
> Forms, Creating Simple Queries, Creating Queries that filter and Summarize
> Data and Creating Reports. I think it's a beginner type book - well it
> must
> be, if I'm able to sort of understand it. But I'm hoping someone who
> understands the whole picture can tell me what parts to build and where. I
> can follow directions, but can't see the forest for the trees at this
> point.
>
> Any help would be extremely appreciated, and paid forward!

0
Steve
2/3/2010 9:54:47 PM
"Steve" <notmyemail@address.com> schreef in bericht news:uogrBuRpKHA.4348@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> If the responses you have gotten are all greek to you, I would like to offer tp build the database for you. I provide help with
> Access, Excel and Word applications for a small fee. My fee to help you would be very reasonable. Contact me and let's discuss how
> we can work together to create your database.
>
> Steve
> santus@penn.com

From now on I am going to hunt each and every post of you Steve
Again.... It won't work but that 's no problem... it's a shame...
--
Get lost $teve.  Go away... far away....

Again... Get lost $teve.  Go away... far away....
No-one wants you here... no-one needs you here...

This newsgroup is meant for FREE help..
No-one wants you here... no-one needs you here...
OP look at http://home.tiscali.nl/arracom/whoissteve.html
(Website has been updated and has a new 'look'...  we have passed 11.000 pageloads... it's a shame !!)

Arno R

0
StopThisAdvertising
2/3/2010 10:52:54 PM
"Steve" <notmyemail@address.com> wrote in message
> If the responses you have gotten are all greek to you, I would like to
> offer tp build the database for you. I provide help with Access, Excel and
> Word applications for a small fee. My fee to help you would be very
> reasonable. Contact me and let's discuss how we can work together to
> create your database.
>
> Steve
> santus@penn.com

Still pimping your questionable services?

Stevie is our own personal pet troll who is the only one who does not
understand the concept of FREE peer to peer support!

These newsgroups are provided by Microsoft for FREE peer to peer support.
There are many highly qualified individuals who gladly help for free. Stevie
is not one of them, but he is the only one who just does not get the idea of
"FREE" support. He offers questionable results at unreasonable prices. If he
was any good, the "thousands" of people he claims to have helped would be
flooding him with work, but there appears to be a continuous drought and he
needs to constantly grovel for work.

John... Visio MVP

0
John
2/3/2010 11:41:52 PM
Thanks for the advice Fred. I AM feeling a bit overwhelmed, but feel like I'm
catching on slowly. I only have the knowledge I've gleaned from the books and
tutorials I've read this week. I'll be the only person using the database at
first. I'll then hopefully have someone else updating the database as well as
staying on top of the external data updates we'll be tracking.
I sort of get it that a report takes information from the table and makes it
'pretty'. I think I get it that a form just makes it easier to enter data,
but it still goes into the same table. I'm not sure what a Query does yet.
Is it possible to show you what I've done so far to see if I'm on the right
track? I'm not sure if that's out of bounds. I'm grateful just to try to
follow the instructions you are offering. I messed with the relationship
keys, but got a bit confused using the examples given. I'll play with that
again later.
As for when this needs to be up and running, that would be ASAP. I didn't
realize I needed something like this until it became a logistical nightmare
trying to figure out which agency to ask for what data. Now I'm a little
thwarted in the efforts needed to get the most basic aspect of the business
built - the data! Sigh. I AM a little overwhelmed. This forum is INCREDIBLE
though! I didn't realize there would be people as generous as you willing to
help me out. Thank you.

"Fred" wrote:

> Hi Sandra,
>
> In order to answer your last question:
>
> I know you're having some trouble on this first step for your medium
> complexity situation, but most people would, and that's what this design
> discussion group is for.  Are you somewhat fluent on the the basics of Access
> design, like queries, forms etc?
>
> Will this dtatbase need to be used by other people who will know absolutely
> nothing about Access?  If so, you will probably need to get substantial help
> from a developer.
>
> How much time to you have to get this up and running?
>

> PS:  Don't use anybody who hits you up for money in these free advice forums.

These newsgroups are "staffed" by volunteers.  The Code of Conduct for these
'groups precludes soliciting paid work.

If someone solicits paid work here, please consider whether you want to do
business with someone who ignores the rules.

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

"SandraRae2000" <SandraRae2000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Rookie user: Access 2007, Using "Picture Yourself Learning: Microsoft
> Access
> 2007" as reference guide.
> Need suggestions for how to structure what seems to me to be a very
> complicated DB. I want to build it the best way the first time, so I don't
> do
> a lot of work and not have it do what I need.
> Here's what I need to do:
> Track GIS datasets  for about 50 natural and environmental  hazards.
> The data itself does not need to be tracked. I do need to track its source
> (National, State, County or City data) and know its  date of creation, and
> frequency of updates for example.
> I don't know whether to create one Table with tons of fields, and then try
> to figure out queries. Or should I create tables for each specific hazard
> like Earthquake, Flood, etc.?  Should I create tables for each source of
> data
> such as National, State, County and each  City from which I obtain data?
> What I want to be able to do is easily determine which updates to which
> data
> need to happen when, which data came from which source, what data is
> available for each specific hazard and what datasets overlap at the
> National,
> State, County and City levels.
>
> Here's an example: I have data from the National Wetlands Inventory that
> is
> updated annually.
> I also have data from the County that is updated quarterly. The State and
> the Cities have no additional data. I need to be able to know, for 50
> different hazards or issues, the source of the data, how often it's
> updated,
> a scheduled reminder when it's time  to update if possible, and a field
> with
> a hyperlink to the actual data or metadata.
>
> My reference book includes instructions on Creating a DB, Creating and
> Editing Tables, Improving Table Design and Creating Relationships,
> Creating
> Forms, Creating Simple Queries, Creating Queries that filter and Summarize
> Data and Creating Reports. I think it's a beginner type book - well it
> must
> be, if I'm able to sort of understand it. But I'm hoping someone who
> understands the whole picture can tell me what parts to build and where. I
> can follow directions, but can't see the forest for the trees at this
> point.
>
> Any help would be extremely appreciated, and paid forward!

0
Jeff
2/4/2010 1:00:36 AM
"Steve" <notmyemail@address.com> wrote in message
> If the responses you have gotten are all greek to you,

Patronising oaf.

> I would like to offer tp build the database for you.

Would you hire someone who can't even check their own spelling?

> I provide help with Access, Excel and Word applications for a small fee.
> My fee to help you would be very reasonable.

Small or reasonable?  The two are not the same.  Either way it'll be money
for old rope.

> Contact me

As a last act of desperation.

> and let's discuss how we can work together to create your database.

No, let's discuss how to follow newsgroup rules.

0
Keith
2/4/2010 9:10:51 AM
Hi Sandra,

The confluence of two items (you are barely started on the big job of
learning Access  and are in a big hurry to get this up and running then you
are probably going to need many hours of help from an expert.

If I were looking for such help, expert help, I scan back through this
discussion groupl for regular contributors who appear to be in the business
and who aren't the one person (who you've now met) that abuses this group by
hitting people up for money, and email a couple of them.

-  -  -

Alternatively, hit the books really hard and ask questions here. At the same
time that you are reading the books, here is your overall process:

1.  Shut the computer off and decide the real world entities are that you
want to database. Use the discussion in this tread to guide you.

2.  Design Tables and links between them to implement  your decisions from#1

3.  Make rudimentary queries to look at your individual tables.  Not
essential, but a good next step.  And (although not essential) make single
table queries which will be the middlemen (record sources) for your forms and
reports.

4.  For cases where you need to see & enter   the data from multiple linked
tables all at once, make a form with subform(s)  to do so.  For example, to
see an organization that sends datasets, then the show and enter their data
sets underneath them, make and "Organizaiton" form, and put a "Data set"
subform underneath it.

5. Make rudimentary reports for single tables

6. In a similar manner an situaiton as number 4, make reports with
subreports to show data.

What do you not understand about the nature of a volunteer newsgroup?  If you
don't understand that basic concept you are not capable of understanding the
complexities and subtleties of relational database design.

Steve wrote:
>If the responses you have gotten are all greek to you, I would like to offer
>tp build the database for you. I provide help with Access, Excel and Word
>applications for a small fee. My fee to help you would be very reasonable.
>Contact me and let's discuss how we can work together to create your
>database.
>
>Steve
>santus@penn.com
>
>> Rookie user: Access 2007, Using "Picture Yourself Learning: Microsoft
>> Access
>[quoted text clipped - 43 lines]
>>
>> Any help would be extremely appreciated, and paid forward!

BruceM
2/4/2010 2:11:10 PM
"SandraRae2000" <SandraRae2000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Rookie user: Access 2007, Using “Picture Yourself Learning: Microsoft
> Access
> 2007” as reference guide.
> Need suggestions for how to structure what seems to me to be a very
> complicated DB. I want to build it the best way the first time, so I don’t
> do
> a lot of work and not have it do what I need.
> Here’s what I need to do:
> Track GIS datasets  for about 50 natural and environmental  hazards.

FWIW I have a "hazardous materials" tracking database which you're welcome
to a copy of if you like. It may be of no use to you whatsoever, but then
again it might just help.  Drop me a line if you'd like to take a look.

Keith.
www.keithwilby.co.uk

0
Keith
2/4/2010 2:20:15 PM
Sandra,

See my response of today,  hidden several posts back in the above thread.
Thanks Fred!
I'm going to follow your instructions of how to approach this. Then, if that
fails, I'll consider your other suggestion. If I do go the professional
route, what is a typical fee structure like? While learning all of this and
starting from scratch is extremely fun and rewarding, I'm supposed to be
focusing on other aspects of my operation! But, I have more time than money!!
Thanks so much for your help and advice.
Sandra

"Fred" wrote:

> Hi Sandra,
>
> The confluence of two items (you are barely started on the big job of
> learning Access  and are in a big hurry to get this up and running then you
> are probably going to need many hours of help from an expert.
>
> If I were looking for such help, expert help, I scan back through this
> discussion groupl for regular contributors who appear to be in the business
> and who aren't the one person (who you've now met) that abuses this group by
> hitting people up for money, and email a couple of them.
>

> -  -  -
>
> Alternatively, hit the books really hard and ask questions here. At the same
> time that you are reading the books, here is your overall process:
>
> 1.  Shut the computer off and decide the real world entities are that you
> want to database. Use the discussion in this tread to guide you.
>
> 2.  Design Tables and links between them to implement  your decisions from#1
>
> 3.  Make rudimentary queries to look at your individual tables.  Not
> essential, but a good next step.  And (although not essential) make single
> table queries which will be the middlemen (record sources) for your forms and
> reports.
>
> 4.  For cases where you need to see & enter   the data from multiple linked
> tables all at once, make a form with subform(s)  to do so.  For example, to
> see an organization that sends datasets, then the show and enter their data
> sets underneath them, make and "Organizaiton" form, and put a "Data set"
> subform underneath it.
>
> 5. Make rudimentary reports for single tables
>
> 6. In a similar manner an situaiton as number 4, make reports with
> subreports to show data.

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 05:47:02 -0800, Fred
<Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Alternatively, hit the books really hard and ask questions here. At the same
>time that you are reading the books, here is your overall process:
>
>1.  Shut the computer off and decide the real world entities are that you
>want to database.

This is really good advice.  Every new database design should start
off as a pencil or whiteboard sketch of just the basic tables and how
they're related.

If you haven't already found it, a really good book for getting
started is Database Design for Mere Mortals by Michael Hernandez.

Armen Stein
Microsoft Access MVP
www.JStreetTech.com

0
Armen
2/4/2010 9:28:12 PM
I can't answer the fee structure question.    I do this as a break from work
rather than to make money.  Plus my area is data architecture and the
combination of databasing real world  business processes.  When it comes to
true Access developer stuff, you'll find me asking questions rather than
answering them.

If you're serious about getting more substantial help, I would do what I
recommended previously. Scan previous posts here for helpful people who
appear to be in the business, who haven't hit you up for money.

It's coming together! I am SLOWLY figuring this out. I'm following each of
your suggestions and I can see it taking shape. Mostly, I'm beginning to
understand it, which is HUGE progress! You folks are amazing! Thank you. I'm
sure I'll have more questions soon.

"SandraRae2000" wrote:

> Rookie user: Access 2007, Using “Picture Yourself Learning: Microsoft Access
> 2007” as reference guide.
> Need suggestions for how to structure what seems to me to be a very
> complicated DB. I want to build it the best way the first time, so I don’t do
> a lot of work and not have it do what I need.
> Here’s what I need to do:
> Track GIS datasets  for about 50 natural and environmental  hazards.
> The data itself does not need to be tracked. I do need to track its source
> (National, State, County or City data) and know its  date of creation, and
> frequency of updates for example.
> I don’t know whether to create one Table with tons of fields, and then try
> to figure out queries. Or should I create tables for each specific hazard
> like Earthquake, Flood, etc.?  Should I create tables for each source of data
> such as National, State, County and each  City from which I obtain data?
> What I want to be able to do is easily determine which updates to which data
> need to happen when, which data came from which source, what data is
> available for each specific hazard and what datasets overlap at the National,
> State, County and City levels.
>
> Here’s an example: I have data from the National Wetlands Inventory that is
> updated annually.
> I also have data from the County that is updated quarterly. The State and
> the Cities have no additional data. I need to be able to know, for 50
> different hazards or issues, the source of the data, how often it’s updated,
> a scheduled reminder when it’s time  to update if possible, and a field with
> a hyperlink to the actual data or metadata.
>
> My reference book includes instructions on Creating a DB, Creating and
> Editing Tables, Improving Table Design and Creating Relationships, Creating
> Forms, Creating Simple Queries, Creating Queries that filter and Summarize
> Data and Creating Reports. I think it’s a beginner type book – well it must
> be, if I’m able to sort of understand it. But I’m hoping someone who
> understands the whole picture can tell me what parts to build and where. I
> can follow directions, but can’t see the forest for the trees at this point.
>
> Any help would be extremely appreciated, and paid forward!

Need help to read Pie Chart Series Range
Excel 2003, I have an existing Pie Chart and want to extract the Ranges (cells) used. My code below returns with a "Type mismatch" error. Sub GetPieChartSeries() Dim mySeries As Series ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1).Activate Set mySeries = ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1) Debug.Print mySeries.XValues (errors here) Debug.Print mySeries.Values End Sub Thanks, - Pat ...

need Help for Migration Exchange 5.5
Hello NG, we`ve the following Configuration : - Exchange 5.5 with SP4 - single Winwos 2000 DC - configured both side ADC a new Hardware should be used for an Exchange 2003 and second DC. next steps i would do as following : - Update ADC Version with Exchange 2003 ADC - running Exchange 2003 forestprep, then domainprep, an after all running setup to install Exchange 2003 in the same organization, site - replicate system Folders and public Folders - moving all Mailboxes to the Exchange 2003 Store - configure the Exchange 2003 virtual SMTP Server to send outgoing Mail - reconfigure the F...

Word Doc Macro help needed please!
I need to make a mocro that will work in a word doc. This macro would start with [000001] and count up one number each paragraph. For example paragraph two would auto show [000002] and so on. Any help would be GREAT! I have a word file which contains 100 pages. All the pages have name & address of companies.(not in table) i have to transfer them to excel in column format(for example first name, last name, address, phone etc) can any one tell me code for this( i know how to open word & creat new excel sheet) . I need code for how to reach to lines of word. r there any thing like &quo...

How do I get a filter to "UPDATE" the rows selected?
Hey there! I am using Excel 2002 and I have a speadsheet that has prices in it. If I have the filter set to (the filter criteria is much more complex than this though) prices for items that cost >$5.00. Of I change an item to 4.59, it should not be seen. How can I get it to re-update the rows shown, with out releaseing the filter and resetting it? Is there something like refresh.filter or anything like that? Thanks Phil AFAIK you must release and reset but a macro with a worksheet_change event could trigger this for you so that it would happen automatically. -- Don Guillett SalesAid...

Decimal to time conversion
How do i convert 75.2 minutes to show 75 minutes & 11 seconds (75:11) or 4511 seconds to show 75 minutes & 11 seconds (75:11) in Excel can it be done or am i being thick???:confused: :confused: ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Try tips posted here http://www.exceltip.com/show_tip/Excel_Time/Converting_time_to_decimals_in_Microsoft_Excel/96.html ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~...

Printing changes layout
I am printing a booklet on Pub 2002 - when I print one page, it prints a page where everything has changed - resized, cut off the edges, etc. The worst part - when done printing, it goes back to normal view and it actually changes my layout to match what is printed - permanently. Any ideas what is going on? I printed on both my Lexmark and HP printers, does the same thing. I have Windows XP. Help! Thanks! Look at your page layout, has it changed? I know this will happen to me occasionally when I change printers. If I change back to the original printer the publication will revert...

I want to buy the best book of office 2003
Hi. I want to buy the best book of office 2003, what is the name of it? Marco Hi, Marco. > I want to buy the best book of office 2003, what is the name of it? "The Best Book of Office 2003." (Just kidding!) "Best" is subjective. Check out former Access MVP Jeff Conrad's lists of recommended books and find the ones for Access 2003, then go to your bookstore and look at each one to see if it's "for you" -- and your learning style. http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html#Books Notice that these books are all Access databas...

Publishing Free/Busy Time
I was reading in the Help section that I can set our PCs to publish each person's Free/Busy time to our local server. Can anyone give me any extra information on hos I do this? I went to Tools/Options/Calendar Options/Free-Busy Time and foudn where I can setr it to do that. THe question is how exactly do I specify where to publish the information to, and how do I get all my PCs to be able to retireve the informatino to make it useful to everybody? THere's no Browse button so do I need to just type in a folder such as (X:\schedule) or something different? Just can't get it to wo...

How do I display daily duty timings (day/night) of employees for .
I am looking for a template that would permit me to display the work timings of my 30 employees. They either work the day shift or the night shift. ...

How do I convert time format to text?
I have a cell with a formula of =text(c3-b3,"h:mm") as the difference from cell b3 and c3. Assume the result is 5:00. I need to minus another cell value that is formatted as general text. eg. =text(c3-b3,"h:mm")-G3 Thanks....Andrew Hi Andrew- Try the VALUE() fx and format that cell with your choice of Time Formats. HTH |:>) "Andrew" wrote: > I have a cell with a formula of =text(c3-b3,"h:mm") as the difference from > cell b3 and c3. Assume the result is 5:00. I need to minus another cell value > that is formatted as general text. ...

Help With Sorting #3
Gudday to all XL gurus. I need some help on using the SORT function. I have a list of 100 competitors in a scoring spreadsheet that I hav written. I was trying to sort by surname (a-z). The problem is that this list i generated elsewhere and contains VLOOKUP functions. Obviously if i hav less than 100 competitors I end up with some cells appear blank bu contain VLOOKUP functions. XL sorts them first and I want them sorte last after the surnames (a-z). I cant add a helper column as this lis relates to over 48,000 forumulaes and functions that are already added If I add a helper column I have...

Need help converting Microsoft Outlook calendar to Entourage.... At wits' end here! Please advise...
I have a Mac at work which runs Microsoft Outlook 2001 client on an Exchange server. I have a calendar on this machine (stored locally, not on the server) which has a ton of reminders programmed into it - very useful! Now, at home I got a new Mac laptop with Entourage X. Is there any way to move all of the reminders (appointments) from my calendar on Outlook to my Entourage calendar? I've tried two things: 1) I exported the calendar info as a CSV text file, and then tried importing it in Entourage. The problem is that Entourage import function seems to think it's importing an Address...

right align int fields
I would like to right align integer fields. I would like to do this in a while/for loop in onLoad event, because I have many fields. How can I see in javascript if a field (I do not mean the value of a field) is an integer. Marc ...

Run-time error 2465 after database import
I'm trying to tidy up a database by starting with a fresh, blank database (Access 2000) and importing everything from the original database. Here are the steps I've gone through: 1. Started with a blank database. 2. Set all the properties to be the same as the original database. I've set the properties in: - File / Database Properties - Tools / Startup - Tools / Options - Visual Basic Editor - Tools / database Properties - Visual Basic Editor - Tools / Options - Visual Basic Editor - Tools / References 3. Selected File / Get External Data / Import and ...

Using namespaces? I've some messy nested contexts that I want to clean up...
Hi, I've got the following code structure Class A { ... private: Class B { public: enum C { ENUM X } C MyVar; C MyFunc() } } So for function definitions in B I have to write A::B::C A::B::MyFunc() and for objects of B in A if(pb->MyVar==B::ENUM_X) It's all just a bit messy. Isn't it. Someone please help. Regards. ...

help with lookup formula (sheet 2, not a double post)
I need to make a formula using a lookup. The first spreadsheet is a inventory (ALO INVENTORY JP). The second (P&G 103) is a chart tha tells number of gallons of alcohol per foot/inch/fraction. On ALO INVENTORY JP I insert the # of feet, inches, and the fraction i cells R5 and T5. I want these numbers to lookup the number of gallon off of the P&G 103 worksheet. For example: P&G 103 (on inventory sheet) is 26ft 4 1/2 inches, i should look-up to be 34572 gal. for the 26'4" and 55 gal. for the 1/2" These two numbers should be added together and multiplied by the numbe ...

cannot get BCM to work on Office Enterprise 2007 and Windows 7
I have Windows 7 and Office enterprise 2007 and tried to install BCM 2007 and got it installed then opened Outlook and said it could not setup database. Is BCM 2007 compatible with Enterprise and Windows 7. Is there a work around? ...

Help!! Way to find users sending email to large amount of receipients.
Could some one tell me if there is a way in Exchange 2003 to find out what users are sending email to a large amount of recipients? I'm having some serious performance issues and I'm sure it's some one sending email to a large amount of recipients. Thanks, Will ...

Help #15
I have a problem. I have a list of numbers that are in one column. Alot of numbers 8000 or so, and I need to find if there are an duplicates. I sort them so that they are in order, but having t scroll through the whole list takes alot of time and hurts my eyes!! I tried advanced filter but I can only find how to find duplicates in different columns. Someone help me please! ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step...

Help with displaying the contents of the last populate cell.
I have numerous sheets within a book where all cells in column C in all sheets have the following formula “=IF(ISBLANK(P4),"",(R3-P4))”. For you reference both columns P and R hold a monetary value and are formatted as Currency. Is there a way that cell D1 can automatically be populated with the contents of the last cell in column C that has a value in it. E.G. Sheet 1, cell C19 has a value of 200, therefore cell D1 should be 200. Sheet 2, cell C25 has a value of 250, therefore cell D1 should be 250. Sheet 3, cell C99 has a value of 900, therefore cell D1 should be 900. Any h...

Combining second row to first row
How do I make this: John Edwards 24 Main St NY NY 08000 (all data is in seperate cells) Look like this: John Edwards 24 Main St NY, NY 08000 (Each cell moved to top line) There are multiple rows of this data. Thanks try this Sub moverow() For i = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row To 2 Step -2 Range(Cells(i, 1), Cells(i, 10)).Copy Cells(i - 1, 2) Rows(i).Delete Next End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "LisaJ27" <LisaJ27@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3CFDD53F-0D38-4117-AFAD-D65414BB86FB@microsoft.c...

getting tight vertical fit automatically
Is there a way to get a tight fit vertically, without having to hand-adjust many row heights (some of three lines, some of 1, etc)? If format|row|autofit is too "loose", then I think manually is the way to go. Kevin wrote: > > Is there a way to get a tight fit vertically, without having to > hand-adjust many row heights (some of three lines, some of 1, etc)? -- Dave Peterson ...

help!
Hi I have been given a dataset with data,but the problem is now i need to create membership cards,which i plan to use the label wizard in reports,but i also have to display the intials of the customer but i have not been given the fields for intials just forename and last name.Is there maybe a way of running a query to search for some of the forename field to use as my intial???? thanks ! I thought I had seen this post a day or two ago and it was answered. If you want Initial and Last name Left(FirstName,1) & " " & LastName -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP &qu...

Help on filter
HI, I have a list to filter. I have to keep only integers. I tried everything in advanced filters... does not work. Can you help me please? Thanks Sylvai -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi one way: use a helper column. Lets say your numbers are in column A then enter the following formula in an adjacent cell for row 2 =IF(MOD(A1,1)=0,"X","") copy this down for all rows. After this filter with this helper column -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > HI, > I have a list to filter. I have to keep only integers. > I tried everything in ...

Pointing to correct macro path using excel custom toolbar
I have created an excel 2000 template (.xlt) containing a number o macros. When I open copies of this template on various pcs, the macro function correctly, except I cannot successfully run the macros usin the custom toolbar I created, because (I think) within the toolbar th paths to the macros are pointed to the original location on my pc. An advice on how I can resolve this would be gratefully received -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Have you thought about building the toolbar when the file opens? Or maybe separating the worksheet portion of the template from the code pa...