relationships of 3 tables

Greeings,

I am creating a db to track who serves what function in what Sunday at church.
So I think I need 3 tables.
1. people who serve
2. functions they serve
3. dates they serve

Many people can serve many dates and many people can serve many functions on
many dates.

So do I have the three tables and then a join table for people/dates and a
join table for people/function and a join table for dates and functions? And
how do I structure them. I am thinking:
tblPeople
       peopleID     pk
       name

tblFunction
      functionID    pk
      functionName

tblDate
      dateID         pk
      serviceDate

tblJoinPeopleDates
     peopleID       pk
     dateID          pk

tblJoinPeopleFunction
     peopleID       pk
     functionID     pk

tblJoinFunctionDate
     functionID     pk
     dateID          pk

If this structure works, what does the relationship window look like? This is
the first time I have tried anything like this.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott_Brasted

Hi Scot,

You don't need all those tables! I have assumed there are different
functions for different dates.
TblPeople
PeopleID
FirstName
LastName

TblFunction
FunctionID
Function

TblChurchDateFunction
ChurchDateFunctionID
ChurchDate
FunctionID

TblChurchDateFunctionPeople
ChurchDateFunctionPeopleID
DateFunctionID
PeopleID

Assuming you have TblPeople and TblFunction filled, next create a form on
TblChurchDateFunction and enter all the functions for each church date. You
can use a calendar control for entering the church dates and a combobox
having a rowsource of TblFunction for entering each FunctionID. Next create
a query that includes TblFunction, TblChurchDateFunction and
TblChurchDateFunctionPeople. With the proper design of the query, you will
be able to display a list of each church date and all the functions on each
church date. Use this query as the recordsource of a form and use a combobox
with a rowsource of TblPeople to enter the person for each function on each
church date.

Steve
santus@penn.com

"Scott_Brasted via AccessMonster.com" <u56211@uwe> wrote in message
> Greeings,
>
> I am creating a db to track who serves what function in what Sunday at
> church.
> So I think I need 3 tables.
> 1. people who serve
> 2. functions they serve
> 3. dates they serve
>
> Many people can serve many dates and many people can serve many functions
> on
> many dates.
>
> So do I have the three tables and then a join table for people/dates and a
> join table for people/function and a join table for dates and functions?
> And
> how do I structure them. I am thinking:
> tblPeople
>       peopleID     pk
>       name
>
> tblFunction
>      functionID    pk
>      functionName
>
> tblDate
>      dateID         pk
>      serviceDate
>
> tblJoinPeopleDates
>     peopleID       pk
>     dateID          pk
>
> tblJoinPeopleFunction
>     peopleID       pk
>     functionID     pk
>
> tblJoinFunctionDate
>     functionID     pk
>     dateID          pk
>
> If this structure works, what does the relationship window look like? This
> is
> the first time I have tried anything like this.
>
> Thanks,
> Scott

Steve
12/13/2009 1:46:10 PM
In TblChurchDateFunctionPeople, make DateFunctionID ChurchDateFunctionID.

Steve

"Steve" <notmyemail@address.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> how do I structure them. I am thinking:
>> tblPeople
>>       peopleID     pk
>>       name
>>
>> tblFunction
>>      functionID    pk
>>      functionName
>>
>> tblDate
>>      dateID         pk
>>      serviceDate
>>
>> tblJoinPeopleDates
>>     peopleID       pk
>>     dateID          pk
>>
>> tblJoinPeopleFunction
>>     peopleID       pk
>>     functionID     pk
>>
>> tblJoinFunctionDate
>>     functionID     pk
>>     dateID          pk
>>
>> If this structure works, what does the relationship window look like?
>> This is
>> the first time I have tried anything like this.

Steve
12/13/2009 4:54:45 PM
Steve,

Thanks for the info. Ihave been strubbling with this most of the day. I ran
aground on the query. I have found several ways to get the data to display,
but none of them allow me to add people to the mix.

My joins in the query:

tblFunction (left table) to tblChurchDateFunction (right table) to only
include rows where joined fields from tables are equal. This by itself gets
me a list of dates and functions.

Then I add tblChurchDateFunctionPeople. I join it to tblChurchDateFunction.

My Joins:
tblChurchDateFunction (left table) to tblChurchDateFunctionPeople (right
table) to include All records from tblChurchDateFunction and only those
records from tblChurchDateFunctionPeople where the joined fields are equal.

There are several permutations of joins that allow me to see the data in the
query, but so far no join has allowed me to add a person to the
tblChurchDateFunctionPeople table.

And it just dawned on me that I did not realize when I first posted this that
I sometimes need to have more than one person in a function on a date.This
may be possible with tblChurchDateFunctionPeople table,but I do not know how
to enter it.

Thanks,
Scott

Steve wrote:
>In TblChurchDateFunctionPeople, make DateFunctionID ChurchDateFunctionID.
>
>Steve
>
>> Hi Scot,
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 81 lines]
>>> Thanks,
>>> Scott

Scott_Brasted
12/13/2009 9:53:53 PM
Scott,

I only briefly perused the subsequent exchange, but if you make a solid
decision on the entities being database and then a solid table structure
based on that, then I think you job will be much easier / more successful.

The first question is whether "dates" are an entity that needs databasing
vs. just an attribute of other entities.

If the answer is yes, the next question is whether or not your "date"
entity has other 1:1 attributes that you will be actively databasing.   That
will make the difference between a true data table vs. a table that is just
there to populate dropdown lists.

Either way, I suspect that you will need to ditch a few of your tables and
your main 3 tables should be:

People

Functions

InstancesOfAPersonServingAFunctionOnAParticulerDate (of course, shorten
that).  This table will have FK's for People and Function and probalby just a
date field, but possible a FK for a dates table, if the latter is truly an
entity that needs databasing.

Well, there's my 2 cents.

Even if the answer is the former, then the next question is whether  or not
you need to
Hi Scott,

TblChurchDateFunctionPeople has the field PeopleID. Include PeopleID in your
query. PeopleID is a specific person. On your form, use a combobox to enter
PeopleID. Create a query based on TblPeople. Put PeopleID in the first
column of the query. Put the following expression in the second column:
Person = [LastName] & ", " & [FirstName]
Sort Ascending on this column. Set the rowsource of the combobox to this
query. Set the Bound Column property to 1 , Column Count property to 2 and
Column Width property tp 0;2.

Regarding having more than one person in a function on a date, Yes, you can
record more than one person in TblChurchDateFunctionPeople for the same date
and function.

Since you can have more than one person in a function on a date, the better
way to enter your data would be a form/subform. Create a query that includes
TblFunction and TblChurchDateFunction. Include Function from TblFunction,
ChurchDateFunctionID from TblChurchDateFunction and ChurchDate from
TblChurchDateFunction. Use this query as the recordsource of the main form.
You can the display a church date and a function on that date. Base the
subform on TblChurchDateFunctionPeople. Make the subform a continuous form
and you only need the combobox described above. On the main form, set the
LinkMaster/Linkchild properties to ChurchDateFunctionID.

> Steve,
>
> Thanks for the info. Ihave been strubbling with this most of the day. I
> ran
> aground on the query. I have found several ways to get the data to
> display,
> but none of them allow me to add people to the mix.
>
> My joins in the query:
>
> tblFunction (left table) to tblChurchDateFunction (right table) to only
> include rows where joined fields from tables are equal. This by itself
> gets
> me a list of dates and functions.
>
> Then I add tblChurchDateFunctionPeople. I join it to
> tblChurchDateFunction.
>
> My Joins:
> tblChurchDateFunction (left table) to tblChurchDateFunctionPeople (right
> table) to include All records from tblChurchDateFunction and only those
> records from tblChurchDateFunctionPeople where the joined fields are
> equal.
>
> There are several permutations of joins that allow me to see the data in
> the
> query, but so far no join has allowed me to add a person to the
> tblChurchDateFunctionPeople table.
>
> And it just dawned on me that I did not realize when I first posted this
> that
> I sometimes need to have more than one person in a function on a date.This
> may be possible with tblChurchDateFunctionPeople table,but I do not know
> how
> to enter it.
>
> Thanks,
> Scott
>

> Steve wrote:
>>In TblChurchDateFunctionPeople, make DateFunctionID ChurchDateFunctionID.
>>
>>Steve
>>
>>> Hi Scot,
>>>
>>[quoted text clipped - 81 lines]

Steve
12/14/2009 4:04:23 PM
Fred,

Working! Simple is better.

I have decided that date is an entity. Four tables and a query.

SQL:
SELECT tblChurchDate.ChurchDate, tblFunction.Function, tblPeople.Name
FROM tblChurchDate INNER JOIN ((tblChurchDateFunctionPeople INNER JOIN
tblFunction ON tblChurchDateFunctionPeople.FunctionID = tblFunction.
FunctionID) INNER JOIN tblPeople ON tblChurchDateFunctionPeople.PeopleID =
tblPeople.PeopleID) ON tblChurchDate.ChurchDateFunctionID =
tblChurchDateFunctionPeople.ChurchDateID
ORDER BY tblChurchDate.ChurchDate, tblFunction.FunctionID, tblPeople.
PeopleID;

The reason I am doing this is to get the table structure and the SQL to
create a mySQL db for a website. I am just starting to learn how to do a
mySQL. Now I have to see how to get this to work on a web page.

Wish me luck.

Thank you Fred & Steve.
Scott

Fred wrote:
>Scott,
>
>I only briefly perused the subsequent exchange, but if you make a solid
>decision on the entities being database and then a solid table structure
>based on that, then I think you job will be much easier / more successful.
>
>The first question is whether "dates" are an entity that needs databasing
>vs. just an attribute of other entities.
>
>If the answer is yes, the next question is whether or not your "date"
>entity has other 1:1 attributes that you will be actively databasing.   That
>will make the difference between a true data table vs. a table that is just
>there to populate dropdown lists.
>
>Either way, I suspect that you will need to ditch a few of your tables and
>your main 3 tables should be:
>
>People
>
>Functions
>
>InstancesOfAPersonServingAFunctionOnAParticulerDate (of course, shorten
>that).  This table will have FK's for People and Function and probalby just a
>date field, but possible a FK for a dates table, if the latter is truly an
>entity that needs databasing.
>
>Well, there's my 2 cents.
>

>Even if the answer is the former, then the next question is whether  or not
>you need to

Scott_Brasted

Is there some kind of color reference table for values?
Hi, Im using a flexgrid that lets me set fillcolors etc... i saw some code that defined some colors but i wanted to know if there was a chart so i can figure out my own colour schemes.. the code was... Const conCream As Long = 13303807 Const conNavy As Long = 8404992 Const conPaleGreen As Long = 13434828 Const conLightBlue As Long = 16760445 thanks On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 21:49:15 +0100, "Craig Armitage" <craig@icarmitage.co.uk> wrote: >Hi, > >Im using a flexgrid that lets me set fillcolors etc... > >i saw some code that defined some colors but i wanted to...

Pivot table formulas
Hi, I am trying to create a calculated field in a pivot table but cannot get the expression to work correctly. I have a field called Class Description and I need to perform a COUNT function on it. I have entered =COUNT('''Class Description''') as the formula but Excel always returns 1. Does anyone have any ideas how I can resolve this please? Hi Alan if its a text field then excel will automatically "count" it when you drag it into the data area - or am i completely misunderstanding what you're after. Cheers JulieD "Alan Bentley" <...

Pivot Table filter--can the select (All) option be eliminated?
I'm trying to find out if there is a way to eliminate the select (All) option in a report filter--so that you can only select 1 of the other filter names at a time and cannot select all of them at once ...

Microsoft CRM 3.0 Professional has lost some feature!
Dear all, I have a problem with Microsoft CRM 3.0 Professional. The first CRM server has broken and I did the schedule backup everyday at 12:00am. So, I setup the second CRM Server with the same product and I follow the same step to do it. The problem is: When I browse to crm webpage I only see some features as: 1. Workplace - My Work: Articles, Reports, Announcements - Service: Knowledge Base 2. Service 3. Settings Before when I install this product and I browse I see more some feature: 1. Workplace - My Work: Activities, Calendar, Queues, Acticles, Reports and Announceme...

Excel 2002 Pivot Table Newsgroup
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C596A9.0B0BF6A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Is there an Excel Pivot Table newsgroup or is it the one with excel = formulas/worksheet functions? ------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C596A9.0B0BF6A0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/h...

Double clicking in a Pivot Table, Please HELP
Hi! You know when you double clik in a field in a pivot table it shrinks down and everything right to that field isn't visible any more, only the total of that field which you double clicked is visible. I hope you will understand me because my english isn't good. So I have in My pivot table four columns: Year, Month, Model, and Price and in the data area i have some total. I have only Year 2005 and when i double click on it in shrinks, and i can only see the total for 2005. I have all the months(1-12) and when i double click on January it shrinks but the other eleven months don't...

multiple charts from a single pivot table
Hi can i create several pivot charts from a single pivot table? Nope. -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "Yossi evenzur" wrote: > Hi > can i create several pivot charts from a single pivot table? No, but you can copy the pivot table to create another which uses the same pivot cache, so they will refresh in synch with each other, and share any grouping and calculated fields. Filtering won't be synchronised though, so you may want to either automate that with macros or use formaulas to check for bas...

adding new records from one table to an existing table
I'm pretty new to access so please bear with me. This may be really simple. I have a table listing thousands of existing stores. In the existing table i have a lot of geographic information including lat/ long, address, etc. Periodically I will need to add new records from another table. However, in the new table the field names aren't identical. ie....in the original table i have Original Address 1 and in the new table it says Address 1. I also don't have all the fields in the new table. So i need to add in the new records with their corresponding fields(i will fill in the mi...

Pivot Table (blank) Cells
Can I remove the '(blank)' entry that appears in pivot table cells that have no contents? Thanks Select one of the cells with (blank) in it. Hit the space bar and hit enter. This is really replacing the (blank) with a single space character. koala824 at Comcast wrote: > > Can I remove the '(blank)' entry that appears in pivot table cells that have > no contents? Thanks -- Dave Peterson Pretty slick. Works great, even if I cannot follow the programming logic of it all. My mindset never considered actually editing the contents of a pivot ...

Pivot Table Sort Issue
Hi Using Excel 2003 and the field Month (Jan....Dec), moved into the Row area. Been working fine (special month sort order) for months. Now the months do now sort "correctly" (Jan....Dec), but sorts Jan...Dec with May and Jun in the last 2 positions. All other 10 months sort correctly. ? thanks, Gene:) Maybe its a data issue -- text dates/real dates ? Check the recent data. Ensure all are real dates. -- Max Singapore --- "Gene Moirao" wrote: > Using Excel 2003 and the field Month (Jan....Dec), moved into the Row area. > Been working fine (speci...

Tabs within table cells
Hi, folks. I am having trouble setting tab stops within a table cell. I set the tabs, use option-tab to move text, and then the text moves with no seeming relation to the tabs. I've checked paragraph alignment, and everything else I can think of. I'm using Office X. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks, all. Jeff ...

Mail Redirection #3
We currently have a problem where an external customer mails all senior staff when he has a complaint. What we would like to do is redirect all mail sent by this person (e.g. complainer@abc.com) to our internal complaints mailbox so that all the senior staff do not receive a copy of the message. Do you know of a way this can be done on Exchange 2003 (single server)? Many thanks You could enable sender filtering with the archive option. Nue "Whit" <Whit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:49F22F4B-CA5A-4179-AB85-6DFB5CE2177C@microsoft.com... > We currently ...

How can I handle reporting with relationship information?
I am wondering if anybody has some ideas on how to best accomplish what we are looking to do. I have a custom entity which is related to the contacts entity. I would like to get a report that contains all of the contact information that I need plus one column for all of the relationships between a given contact and all of the related records to the contact. So if I have a contact John Smith and he has 3 related records A, B, and C I would like to see a view with all of John's information plus a column that looks like A;B;C. One idea I had was to create a field on the contact ...

Contacts question #3
I have Outlook 2003 on a Windows XP system. I had a motherboard failure last Friday, and am trying to get things back up & running. I was able to get all my old email over onto the new system (my old C drive is now a slave drive in my new system). However, the contacts didn't come with it. How can I get the contacts over to the new instance of Outlook 2003? Any help appreciated. BC How did you move the mail? Can you open your old PST on the other hard drive using the File menu > Open > Outlook Data File command then drag/drop the info you want from the old PST to the ...

multiplication table
is there a way to automaticly fill in a multiplication table? In Cells A2 to A13 I have 1, 2, 3...11,12. I then have 1 in B1, 2 in C1, 3 in D1, etc. Or in other words, numbers 1-12 going down column A (starting at A2) and numbers 1-12 going across row 1 (starting at B1). Is there a way to fill this entire thing in with one formula and dargging? I know "=A$2*B1" will work for the entire row, but not the whole table. Thanks guys, Robbi =$A2*B$1 will work for the whole table. On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 20:21:02 -0800, "Robbi777" <Robbi777@discussions.microsoft.c...

Querying a Linked table
Hi: I am trying to do this: SELECT * FROM MySybaseLinkedTable WHERE dtDateTimeField > (SELECT MAX(dtDateTimeField) FROM MyAccessTable) When I run this query without the subselect and manually put the date in like #5/26/2007# then the query comes back immediately. When I try to do the above it crashes Access. Is what I am trying to do possible? If not, what is the best way to get a MAX value from an Access table and pass it into the linked table query? Thanks, Kayda On 28 May 2007 21:35:36 -0700, Kayda <blairjee@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi: > >I am trying to do this: > &g...

PiVot Table charts
Hi, Data struct. ============= 1) Division/Dept 2) Projects other data.... Scenario =========== Analysing the data relevant to each division & projects having the Dept as Page Field and Projects as Base field thro' Pivot chart Problem ======== Base field (Project) list all the projects irrelevant to that particular division/dept. Please provide a solution ...

Quicken Conversion #3
I recently installed Money 2003 Deluxe & converted my Quicken file to Money. When the conversion process ended I got the following error: 'An error occurred, but Money ran out of memory while trying to retrieve and display details about what happened.' I appreciate the message, but I've no clue about the nature of the problem, nor the status of the conversion. When I look at the accounts I don't see anything missing, but considering the number of entries in the accounts I'm not certain that I can rely on Money to have all of my data. This happens when I convert...

Bulk Import MS CRM 3.0
Hi I am trying to import data from excel sheet to CRM. The data has certain columns which exists as customized entities. I have created ..csv file with double quotes as field data delimiter. I have checked the data and it is correct. Is there any issue for importing customized entity data ? regards Vipin there should be no issue as long as data mapping is properly done. "Vipin Kavishwar" <vipin.kavishwar@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1166521589.550019.204520@a3g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... > Hi > I am trying to import data from excel sheet to CRM. The data has >...

Adding a table connection in report writer
I would like to add some user defined fields that we use for project names etc on our pick tickets. I can access them on my packing slip reports but I have to establish a table connection to I believe the Sales User Defined Work History Table to make the fields available for this report in report writer. Can someone direct me? The relationship between the tables for this link is already defined, so on the report definition window click on the Tables button, click on Sales Transaction Work, click on New, click on Sales User-Defined Work History, click OK. When the relationship does not...

The ever annoying tables... Lock column width?
Trying to do up a catalog in Pub XP. I'm trying to put all the products into columns but when I shrink the table from the right all the columns shrink accordingly. I'm trying to fix column widths to fit a certain area, and this is really screwing me up. Why don't the columns in Publisher work the same as FrontPage? I will have to settle on text boxes, but that is an annoyance. Marc Place your cursor on a cell line, it will change into the re-sizer cursor. Fool around long enough and you will get the hang of it. Publisher is a breeze compared to FrontPage. -- Mary Saue...

combo box on form to update different table
Access 2000, Windows2000 Several tables: ratings has fields: TrxID*, name, id, game, and shift, plus 20 others customers has fields: Cname,Cid, StAdd, City, and so on GAmes includes fields: name* Shift includes fields: shiftname* I have created a form to update the ratings table. problem fields on this form are lookups I want the name field to allow selection form those entries in the customer table and display the selected name and ID in two separate fields on the form, the ID should then be stored in the ratings table. The name( on the form is for user input selection only) since it...

macro to merge two table cells?
I've trying unsuccessfully to record a macro that will merge a table cell with the cell to the right of it. Could anyone suggest code that would do this? Sub MergeCellToRight() Dim oRng As Range Dim oCell As Cell Dim i As Long Set oCell = Selection.Cells(1) If oCell.ColumnIndex = Selection.Rows(1).Cells.Count Then MsgBox "There is no cell to the right?", vbCritical, "Error" Exit Sub End If Set oRng = oCell.Range oRng.MoveEnd wdCell, 1 oRng.Cells.Merge oCell.Select Selection.Collapse wdCollapseStart End Sub will merge the cell containing ...

Very slow outlook client for CRM 3.0
Everyone, We have implemented a test system for one of our clients and we are experiencing slowness on the outlook. The laptops are with at least 1 gig of RAM and there is only the sample data in the CRM. When the users starts the outlook it takes anywhere from 5 seconds to 15 seconds for outlook to start. We have turned off the inital sync and also increased the sync interval to 120 minutes. Even after these, the client is still slow. There are no other network issues with the users nor any other programs running on the laptop. Any advise ? Thanks Al ...

Bulk Importing of Outlook Contacts to CRM 3.0
We have just installed MSCRM 3.0 with the Outlook plugin. I would like to bulk import my Outlook Contacts. Most importantly, I want to map the Notes Field in each Outlook Contact, to one of two CRM Notes fields. Either 1 will do. 1. Into the Notes Field on the Information level of an Opportunity OR 2. Into the Contact Notes associated with an Account. I was told by our CRM consultant that because my Notes were too long they would only come across in a truncated format into the Administration field of a CRM Contact (i.e. when I select "Track Contact in CRM" using the Outloo...