Modify existing table for more details?

I have a table of estimates. Each estimate can have multiple locations
stored as a text field. New need: I want to store the sizes of each
location. Example is -Old method: EstNo= 200 which has Location =
bedroom, Location= Family room.    New need is:  EstNo 200,  Location
= bedroom  with Size= 100  and Location= Family room size = 125.  I
assume I need to split the Location field into its own table with a
Location ID field, Location field, location size field and EstNo
field. Also, How would I go about correcting the existing estimates
that have no location sizes entered.   Hope I discribed this clearly
as I am a newby.
0
Shannon

>>I assume I need to split the Location field into its own table
You did not say how your table(s) is structured now - field names with
datatype or provide sample data.
How will you use the Size?  Will you be adding or multiplying by some other
factors?

>>How would I go about correcting the existing estimates that have no location sizes entered.
Not knowing the above I would guess to set all old records = 0.

--
Build a little, test a little.

On Feb 23, 1:05=A0pm, KARL DEWEY <KARLDE...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> >>I assume I need to split the Location field into its own table
>
> You did not say how your table(s) is structured now - field names with
> datatype or provide sample data.
> How will you use the Size? =A0Will you be adding or multiplying by some o=
ther
> factors?
>
> >>How would I go about correcting the existing estimates that have no loc=
ation sizes entered.

> Not knowing the above I would guess to set all old records =3D 0.
>
> --
> Build a little, test a little.
>

> "Shannon" wrote:
> > I have a table of estimates. Each estimate can have multiple locations
> > stored as a text field. New need: I want to store the sizes of each
> > location. Example is -Old method: EstNo=3D 200 which has Location =3D
> > bedroom, Location=3D Family room. =A0 =A0New need is: =A0EstNo 200, =A0=
Location
> > =3D bedroom =A0with Size=3D 100 =A0and Location=3D Family room size =3D=
 125. =A0I
> > assume I need to split the Location field into its own table with a
> > Location ID field, Location field, location size field and EstNo
> > field. Also, How would I go about correcting the existing estimates
> > that have no location sizes entered. =A0 Hope I discribed this clearly
> > as I am a newby.

Thanks for the response and here is the info requested.
tblBidInfo
  EstNo=3Dnumber
  Descrip=3Dtxt
  JobCatId=3D lookup table txt
 Other misc fields

tblBidDet
 BidId=3D autonum
 EstNo-=3Dnumber ~ linked to tblBidInfo
 Location=3D txt  values recvd from lookup table
  Other misc fields

I was thinking I need to add a new tblLocations with the following
fields,
LocId =3D autonum
LocName =3D txt ~ recvd from exisitng Lookup table of txt listings

I get confused here.
I will be using Location size in simple math calcs. Basically Estno
2010.1 has a bedroom thats 100 sf.  All the listed work in that
location will be reported and then calculated on the size [ bedroom
work costs 8,000 / 100 sf =3D 80 psf cost. There are other calcs and
percentage operations I will do in reports based upon that data.]

Again, thanks for you input.
Shannon

0
Shannon
2/23/2010 10:03:00 PM
Hi Shannon,

What do you think of this design for your tables:
TblLocation
LocationID
LocationName
Size

TblEstimate
EstimateID
EstimateDate
EstimateAmount
<other estimate fields>

TblLocationsIncludedInEstimate
LocationsIncludedInEstimateID
EstimateID
LocationID

Importing existing estimates that have no location sizes entered is not a
problem with the above design. The Size field in TblLocation will just be
blank.

Steve
santus@penn.com

"Shannon" <shannon.nelms@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a table of estimates. Each estimate can have multiple locations
> stored as a text field. New need: I want to store the sizes of each
> location. Example is -Old method: EstNo= 200 which has Location =
> bedroom, Location= Family room.    New need is:  EstNo 200,  Location
> = bedroom  with Size= 100  and Location= Family room size = 125.  I
> assume I need to split the Location field into its own table with a
> Location ID field, Location field, location size field and EstNo
> field. Also, How would I go about correcting the existing estimates
> that have no location sizes entered.   Hope I discribed this clearly
> as I am a newby.

0
Steve
2/23/2010 10:07:14 PM
It seems to me you do not need another table as your tblBidDet.Location is
not a true location but a text description using a lookup of common names
ffor areas.

I would just add a Size field.

--
Build a little, test a little.

On Feb 23, 4:16=A0pm, KARL DEWEY <KARLDE...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> It seems to me you do not need another table as your tblBidDet.Location i=
> not a true location but a text description using a lookup of common names
> ffor areas. =A0
>
> I would just add a Size field.
>
> --
> Build a little, test a little.
>

> "Shannon" wrote:
>
> > > You did not say how your table(s) is structured now - field names wit=
> > > datatype or provide sample data.
> > > How will you use the Size? =A0Will you be adding or multiplying by so=
me other
> > > factors?

> > > Not knowing the above I would guess to set all old records =3D 0.
>
> > > --
> > > Build a little, test a little.

> > Thanks for the response and here is the info requested.
> > tblBidInfo
> > =A0 EstNo=3Dnumber
> > =A0 Descrip=3Dtxt
> > =A0 JobCatId=3D lookup table txt
> > =A0Other misc fields
>
> > tblBidDet
> > =A0BidId=3D autonum
> > =A0EstNo-=3Dnumber ~ linked to tblBidInfo
> > =A0Location=3D txt =A0values recvd from lookup table
> > =A0 Other misc fields
>
> > I was thinking I need to add a new tblLocations with the following
> > fields,
> > LocId =3D autonum
> > LocName =3D txt ~ recvd from exisitng Lookup table of txt listings
>
> > I get confused here.
> > I will be using Location size in simple math calcs. Basically Estno
> > 2010.1 has a bedroom thats 100 sf. =A0All the listed work in that
> > location will be reported and then calculated on the size [ bedroom
> > work costs 8,000 / 100 sf =3D 80 psf cost. There are other calcs and
> > percentage operations I will do in reports based upon that data.]
>
> > Again, thanks for you input.
> > Shannon

To Karl: I believe that I must move the Location field to it's own
table for this example. Estno 200 can have a bedroom thats 100 sf.
EstNo 201 can have a bedroom thats 175 sf. So, my logic is One
Estimate can have many locations[rooms lets say] of differant sizes.
Another Estimate might have the same location name, but differant
sizes.

To Steve: I will try your suggestion.

Is it ok to post a pdf of the relationship window once I get it how I
think it should be?
0
Shannon
2/24/2010 10:24:24 PM
You would have two tables in a one-to-many relationship.
The first for the basic bib information --
BidID - primary key
Client -
Bid - $'s
Bid_Date
etc.

  BidComponents --
BidCompID - primary key
BidID - foreign key
Location -
Size -
etc.

And possibly a third table --
  BidCompMaterial --
BidCompMatID - primary key
BidCompID - foreign key
Material -
Cost -
Labor -
etc.

--
Build a little, test a little.

"Shannon" wrote:

> On Feb 23, 4:16 pm, KARL DEWEY <KARLDE...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
> > It seems to me you do not need another table as your tblBidDet.Location is
> > not a true location but a text description using a lookup of common names
> > ffor areas.
> >
> > I would just add a Size field.
> >
> > --
> > Build a little, test a little.
> >

> > "Shannon" wrote:

> > > Thanks for the response and here is the info requested.
> > > tblBidInfo
> > >   EstNo=number
> > >   Descrip=txt
> > >   JobCatId= lookup table txt
> > >  Other misc fields
> >
> > > tblBidDet
> > >  BidId= autonum
> > >  EstNo-=number ~ linked to tblBidInfo
> > >  Location= txt  values recvd from lookup table
> > >   Other misc fields
> >
> > > I was thinking I need to add a new tblLocations with the following
> > > fields,
> > > LocId = autonum
> > > LocName = txt ~ recvd from exisitng Lookup table of txt listings
> >
> > > I get confused here.
> > > I will be using Location size in simple math calcs. Basically Estno
> > > 2010.1 has a bedroom thats 100 sf.  All the listed work in that
> > > location will be reported and then calculated on the size [ bedroom
> > > work costs 8,000 / 100 sf = 80 psf cost. There are other calcs and
> > > percentage operations I will do in reports based upon that data.]
> >
> > > Again, thanks for you input.
> > > Shannon

> To Karl: I believe that I must move the Location field to it's own
> table for this example. Estno 200 can have a bedroom thats 100 sf.
> EstNo 201 can have a bedroom thats 175 sf. So, my logic is One
> Estimate can have many locations[rooms lets say] of differant sizes.
> Another Estimate might have the same location name, but differant
> sizes.
>
> To Steve: I will try your suggestion.
>
> Is it ok to post a pdf of the relationship window once I get it how I
> think it should be?
> .

Yes, I will be glad to look at it!

Steve

wrote:
> It seems to me you do not need another table as your tblBidDet.Location is
> not a true location but a text description using a lookup of common names
> ffor areas.
>
> I would just add a Size field.
>
> --
> Build a little, test a little.
>

> "Shannon" wrote:
>
> > > You did not say how your table(s) is structured now - field names with
> > > datatype or provide sample data.
> > > How will you use the Size? Will you be adding or multiplying by some
> > > other
> > > factors?

> > > Not knowing the above I would guess to set all old records = 0.
>
> > > --
> > > Build a little, test a little.

> > Thanks for the response and here is the info requested.
> > tblBidInfo
> > EstNo=number
> > Descrip=txt
> > JobCatId= lookup table txt
> > Other misc fields
>
> > tblBidDet
> > BidId= autonum
> > EstNo-=number ~ linked to tblBidInfo
> > Location= txt values recvd from lookup table
> > Other misc fields
>
> > I was thinking I need to add a new tblLocations with the following
> > fields,
> > LocId = autonum
> > LocName = txt ~ recvd from exisitng Lookup table of txt listings
>
> > I get confused here.
> > I will be using Location size in simple math calcs. Basically Estno
> > 2010.1 has a bedroom thats 100 sf. All the listed work in that
> > location will be reported and then calculated on the size [ bedroom
> > work costs 8,000 / 100 sf = 80 psf cost. There are other calcs and
> > percentage operations I will do in reports based upon that data.]
>
> > Again, thanks for you input.
> > Shannon

To Karl: I believe that I must move the Location field to it's own
table for this example. Estno 200 can have a bedroom thats 100 sf.
EstNo 201 can have a bedroom thats 175 sf. So, my logic is One
Estimate can have many locations[rooms lets say] of differant sizes.
Another Estimate might have the same location name, but differant
sizes.

To Steve: I will try your suggestion.

Is it ok to post a pdf of the relationship window once I get it how I
think it should be?

0
Steve
2/25/2010 5:28:01 PM
"Steve" <notmyemail@address.com> wrote in message
> Yes, I will be glad to look at it!
>
> Steve

For how much are you offering your questionable services?

0
John
2/25/2010 5:36:45 PM
"Steve" <notmyemail@address.com> schreef in bericht news:%23Y4Uj$jtKHA.6124@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Yes, I will be glad to look at it!
>
> Steve

Amazing... but I guess the bill comes later ??

--
Get lost $teve.  Go away... far away....
No-one wants you here... no-one needs you here...

OP look at http://home.tiscali.nl/arracom/whoissteve.html
(Website has been updated and has a new 'look'...  we have passed 11.500 pageloads... it's a shame !!)

For those who don't 'agree' with this mail , because $teve was 'helping' with his post...
We warned him a thousand times...  Sad, but he is not willing to stop advertising...

He is just toying with these groups... advertising like hell... on and on... for years...
oh yes... and sometimes he answers questions... indeed...
and sometimes good souls here give him credit for that...

==> We are totally 'finished' with $teve now...
==> Killfile 'Stop$teve' and you won't see these mails....

Arno R

0
Stop

Ability to change filter in DETAILS Activity or History view.
In various Record views (i.e., Account, Contact, Lead, etc.), when using the DETAILS view for Activites or History, it would be nice to have the ability for the user to change the filter default time frame from 30 days to another setting. That way the user would not have to change the filter each time a record's Activities or History would be viewed, to something other than 30 days. MS CRM 3.0 ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in...

Creating templates from existing forms
How do I take a perfect spreadsheet and make it a template. I have created a spredsheet that has all of the data I need in my template, so I don't want to recreate the wheel. Hi choose file / save as under files of type choose template ... it should automatically go to the correct folder to access it choose file / new - if you're using ver 97/2000 you should see your template if you're using ver 2002/2003 you will probably have to click on "On my computer" - under "new from template" on the task pane (i think the wording is slightly different for 2002 &...

Floating table
Does anyone know if it is possible (preferably without using Macros) to have a table that always stays at the top of the screen? Basically when I scroll down along the information I lose the table, but I cant use a standard frame freeze as then the information becomes very difficult to make out!!! Maybe this can be done by manipulating the frame freeze somehow or maybe there is some other way of doing it. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks, Niall. If the table is too big for Freeze Panes, then I'm not sure how making it "floating" will help. You can split th...

VBA
How to copy and paste an Excel Table (obviously from an open Excel Spreadsheet) without bringing over the Gridlines / comments etc? how would I do this in VBA automatically? thanks, Amrit ...

setiing Folder View to show details
Is there any way to set the Folder View to details for all the folders rather than to tiles in XP? nospam;3370973 Wrote: > Is there any way to set the Folder View to details for all the folders > rather than to tiles in XP? Yes there is. It's really easy to do too. Here's what you do. Go to any folder and set the view to details. Don't close the window (stay in that folder). Go to the "Tools" menu and select "Folder Options". Select the "View" tab. Click the "Apply To All Folders" button under the &q...

Word randomly changing my figures and tables captions
I'm trying to format a large document, with over 150 tables and figures in it. I've used captions to label them all, but I'm now finding that Word is randomly changing some that I have specified as 'table' to 'figure' and vice versa. This particularly seems to be happening with tables and figures that appear on the same page, but is not restricted to these instances. As soon as I change one caption back to the correct type, the one below will change itself to the wrong type again! I need the captions to remain as I've entered them for my table of f...

Linking tables in a query
I have a database that contains information on a certain number of individuals during different session. Table 1 'tbl_Tracking_Form1' has information on sessions 2,4 and 6. Table 2 'tbl_Tracking_Form2' has information on sessions 1,3 and 5. Table 3 'tbl_General_Info' has demographic information on all the individuals (those who will eventually attentd sessions 1,2,3,5,5 and 6). I need to create two reports. One (Report1) should display all the information on the individuals during session 2, 4 and 6 and another(Report2) that displays all the information on the i...

Can You Embed An Equation in a PP Table 2007
I've got a table of financial data in PowerPoint (instead of an Excel worksheet - I know!). Is it possible to put in a simple equation to add the column similar to Word 2007 tables? Thanks! (B^>)-]=[ No, sorry. PPT tables don't have any kind of functions like this at all. -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com What's new in PPT 2010? http://www.echosvoice.com/2010.htm Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://tinyurl.com/36grcd PowerPoint 2007 Complete Makeover Kit http://tinyurl.com/32a7nx "WSR" <wsr-203@hotmail.com> wrote in...

How to I convert an existing excel file to an csv* file?
I need to import the file into another program but it wont let me without converting the original file into a crv (comma separated value) file. HELP! Thanks! File|SaveAs Look for "CSV (Comma delimited)(*.csv)" in the "Save as Type:" box. Tasting Room wrote: > > I need to import the file into another program but it wont let me without > converting the original file into a crv (comma separated value) file. HELP! > Thanks! -- Dave Peterson ...

Create Excel Pivot tables from MS Access
How can I create Excel Pivot tables from MS Access ? Thanks a lot in advance. Have you tried creating a crosstab query? That may do what you want. If you want to control Excel, while inside Access, try this sub: Option Compare Database Option Explicit ' Use this to make sure your variables are defined ' One way to be able to use these objects throughout the Module is to Declare them here, and not in a Sub Private objExcel As Excel.Application Private xlWB As Excel.Workbook Private xlWS As Excel.Worksheet Sub Rep() Dim strFile As String strFile = "C:\MyEx...

How can I delete rows from Pivot Tables in Excel 2000 as in 97
I was able to delete multiple unwanted rows from Excel 97 Pivot Tables. Now I find I can only delete rows individually by untagging them in Excel 2000 Pivot Table. This is far too time consuming... Does anyone have a faster Solution ...

Sorting a dynamic database table
I have a database for tracking equipment under outage as given below. The basic data for each row is linked from other worksheets in the workbook, where each worksheet pertains to an individual equipment. The data which gets populated under the Final Sheet is not necessarily in a sorted order as per the Item_Out Time.. It may look like Equipment Out DateTime IN DateTime Out_Hrs MILL_GRP_1E 14/06/2010 10:10 16/06/2010 18:00 55:50 MILL_GRP_1D 28/05/2010 11:21 08/06/2010 14:35 267:14 MILL_GRP_1A 07/06/2010 12:03 12/...

Modifying the Sales Receipt
We are using RMS, and our receipts print out on a simple Star impact printer. Two things would be nice. It would be nice to know, generally speaking, how to modify what prints on the receipt. More specifically, when we sell items at a discount, it shows the discount and it shows the discounted price, but it does NOT, for some reason, show the original price. I would like to be able to show the original price at least, and if possible, calculate the amount saved. Our prior system, FoxPro based Biztracker, did that as standard. All suggestions greatly appreciated. -- Bud Izen In the...

applyng a multiple header row across pages in default table style
Hello, I want to set up the default table format on an RTF document that will take the fist 2 rows in my table and repeat them as a header on all the pages the table extends to. so I need to know 2 things 1. how do i edit the default table style 2. is it possible to set the first 2 rows as the header. the data in my table is generated automatically and I don't know in advance how big it will be. thank you 1. Use the Modify Style dialog box to modify a table style in Word. The exact steps depend on your version of Word. 2. As far as I know, this is not possible in...

Document does not exist
One of our bookkeepers PC froze while was was working in GP. Now when she tries to apply a credit memo she gets the following error message: "This document does not exist for this customer or type." I haven't found anything on tech support on how to resolve this. Any ideas? Thx,, Mike Hi Mike, This is what I would try: 1) Make sure all users are out of that Company 2) Have a backup made of the Company and Dynamics Databases 3) Run Checklinks in the Sales Module specifically the Recievables Open Transaction Files See if that won't take care of the problem. Therese ...

Refinancing an existing mortgage loan with cash-out
Is there a way to enter transactions into Money showing refinancing an existing loan (or in my case, a first and second mortgage) into a single loan and accounting for a cash-out scenario? I would like to show the first notes being paid with the proceeds of the new loan, and the excess distribution deposited into an asset account. It would be helpful if Money could do perform this task since the scenario is not uncommon. Any help is most appreciated. Thank you. See http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q86. "Joseph" <jlyonsREMOVETHIS@astound.net> wrote in message news:00...

=if order received, Highlithing details section in grey
Hi Folks, I've tried to figure out how can I highligt entire specific record row on a report, and this by clicking a check box on a form ie: (if order received, then highligth section detail in grey) but till now no success. Consequantly, if anyome knows how can I do that, please help me, Thanking you in advance for your help! Fred's On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 08:57:52 -0800 (PST), Fred's wrote: > Hi Folks, > > I've tried to figure out how can I highligt entire specific record row > on a > report, and this by clicking a check box on a form ie: (if order > recei...

Pivot Tables in Excel 2007
How do you change the data range for a pivot table in excel 2007 without deleting the table itself and redoing all the steps for pivot table creation. e,g, yr current range is A1:D49 but u want the range to be A1:D56 since u added some records for pivot table purposes. > How do you change the data range for a pivot table in excel 2007 > without deleting the table itself and redoing all the steps for pivot > table creation. e,g, yr current range is A1:D49 but u want the range > to be A1:D56 since u added some records for pivot table purposes. Click on the pivot table, Options Ribb...

Basic Pivot Table Questions
Two basic questions: In my pivot table I click on the "Data" box to get a pop-up window of the possible fields I can filter. By default "show all" is checked. If I go through and uncheck some fields, hit "OK", only those fields are displayed. When I click the "Data" box again, only the fields that I filtered to appear, and even when I hit "Show all", I cant seem to get back that full original list. How do I do this? Also, is there an easy way to add a customized "group" to this list? For example if I have 30 fields, and regula...

Update the values in a table from another table
What type of query would i use in the following scenario... I have a table called UserPW, with PK UserPWID,autonumber, long; field ONID,text; field PW, Text; AND another table called InUsers InUsersID PK, autonumber, Long Field ONID, text; Field WebPW, text. I am trying to update the WebPW with the values in PW where the ONID is the same in both tables. Hope this is clear...I am using Access 2007. Thanks for any help! Billiam UPDATE InUsers SET InUsers.WebPW = UserPW.PW FROM InUsers INNER JOIN UserPW ON UserPW.ONID = InUsers.ONID I have not tested it. -- Dorian &q...

How to modify UI lables/captions in the existing MS CRM Menu's
Hi I am new to customization of the MS CRM UI. Can anyone guide me as to how to go about customizing the MS CRM UI lables/captions that are there on the various forms. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Amit Reddy Log into CRM with a user that has CRM System Administrator role assigned to it. Go to the Home Page in CRM. Click the Settings tab on the left, then click "System Customization." You will get a list of the different entities in CRM: leads, accounts, cases, contacts, opportunities, etc. Click the entity that you wish to customize. For example, click...

INSERT date into Access table
Hi there, I am having a bit of problem in populating a table with date as one of its columns. myTable ----------- id | label | date where my SQL string to populate the table from Perl is INSERT INTO myTable (label, date) VALUES ('blahblah.', '3/20/2007') I am getting some generic error SQL ERROR: Error: [-3502] [1] [0] "[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Syntax error in INSERT INTO statement." If I only populate the label column then it works. Any idea where I got my SQL syntax wrong? thanks. On Apr 26, 5:19 am, "Kok Yong Lee" &...

return cell reference in a table based upon given lookup criteria
Is there a way to return the cell reference, or column/row coordinates, of a cell within an array or table by providing lookup criteria? Perhaps something like this: For a table of value in A1:E10 F1: (the value to find) G1: =ADDRESS(MAX((A1:E10=F1)*ROW(A1:E10)),MAX((A1:E10=F1)*COLUMN(A1:E10))) Note: Commit that array formula by holding down the [Ctrl][Shift] keys and press [Enter]. That formula returns the address of the 1st cell containing the value in F1, or #VALUE! if there is no match. Am I on the right track here? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP-Pro "Travis" ...

Excel ODBC driver created table/inserted data lost on application
Using native ODBC API I connect to an Excel spreadsheet using Microsoft Excel Driver (*.xls) 4.00.6305.00 successfully and I am able to create a new table and insert data into the new table and retrieve the inserted new data successfully. While my application is running I can disconnect and reconnect to the Excel data source and see the new table and its data. However, when my application exit the new table and inserted data are lost and the spreadsheet is never updated. Is there a special ODBC command to close/save an Excel worksheet? OK. I found out the cause of this is...

Excel 2007+AnalysisServices2005SP2: Pivot Table to SSAS why menu item "Options"->"Formulas" is disabled?
I am using Excel 2007 with SQL Server Analysis Services 2005 SP2. IN Excel 2007 I want to create calculated measure based on other measures, but I cannot do this for Pivot table. If I go to menu "Options"->"Formulas" I can see that it is disabled. Same menu is enabled if I create Pivot table based on cells in sheet. How can I create caclulated measure for Pivot Table based on SSAS? Thank you ...