How do I record the date of the first record entry.

I have a small database and I want to record, in a table
field, the date at which a record is added (but not edited).

I want this to be permanent.

Should I make the "primary key" this date?

 Please help, Frank

0
Frank

"Frank Martin" <fm@general.com.au> wrote in message
> I have a small database and I want to record, in a table field, the date
> at which a record is added (but not edited).

In table design view, add the field to record when the entry was made.

In the lower pane of table design, set the Default Value property of this
field to:
    =Date()
if you just want the date. If you want the date and time, use:
    =Now()

When you create a form to show the entries, don't provide a text box for
this field, so the user won't have a way to modify the date.

Allen
> "Frank Martin" <fm@general.com.au> wrote in message
>> I have a small database and I want to record, in a table
>> field, the date at which a record is added (but not
>> edited).
>
> In table design view, add the field to record when the
> entry was made.
>
> In the lower pane of table design, set the Default Value
> property of this field to:
>    =Date()
> if you just want the date. If you want the date and time,
> use:
>    =Now()
>
> When you create a form to show the entries, don't provide
> a text box for this field, so the user won't have a way to
> modify the date.

Thanks, this worked.

0
Frank

CRM - Sales Pipeline Report
Please help me - I am trying to get the Sales Pipeline report to order correctly on the Estimated Close date. My report formats correctly and I have set to Group by Date from the parent report of the sales pipeline - BUT - when I view the Sales Pipeline Detail report the Estimated Close date is all over the place... E.g. August opportunities following by December then November then October then September! I have spoken to one of my developers and he says that Group by Date is one thing... you need to also order by estimatedclosedate... but he was no help in providing a solution. BTW ...

Problem entering any data into any of the data entry screen
I have a problem entering any data into any of the data entry screen fields in GPDynamics. For example - if I go to the transactions radio button - financial - batches - the window opens - the cursor briefly goes to the first entry field -Batch Id - it will stay for approximately 2-3 seconds at this field then will disappear and the SAVE radio button will be highlighted. If I click on the entry field again Batch ID - the process repeats itself. I could probably get 3 keystrokes in before the cursor disappears and the SAVE radio button appears highlighted - I have tried to tab over from the SA...

Generating a new Record
Can anyone help point out what i am doing wrong Please? I want to generata a new record and I get to that point by having the user enter a search for a record in a Table via a combo. When the record is Found in the Table, no problem The user can view the Record, Edit it, etc. When the record is not Found in the Table, the "not in List" event triggers the question "Not Found, Do You Want To Generate"? The answer "Yes" triggers the Code DoCmd.accNewRecord acForm,Me.Name,acNewRec My Form then displays a blank series of Fields (Name Address, etc) and my...

problems with imported dates
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC I am importing data with dates that range from 1887 to 1950s. Excel keeps the 1880s dates, but either subtracts or adds 4 years and one day to all of the 1900s dates. I have tried reformatting the dates in the source information, reformatting in excel and copying to another spreadsheet, using different date formats to move the data, etc. nothing seems to work. <br><br>If there is anything this program should do, its process dates correctly. This is a major issue when accuracy is involved and is wor...

Work flow to create new record
Is the following possible in v4 without code writing (we currently use v3 and I don't think it is possible). Assume that account and competitors have a relationship. When an account is created I want it to automatically add a certain competitor record to the account. This is to faciliate a work around whereby I can then run a search to show all records that do not have a competitor. Thanks James that is possible in v4 workflow James. you can create a new record (of almost any type) when your account creation workflow is fired. Dave "JamesE" <JamesE@discussions.mi...

Automatic Entry
Is there a way to avoid adding each payee to a list that stays in memory? All I want is the poayee name, once, and nd the category, with no other information. You may be referring to Tools | Options | Editing | Confirm new payees. At least I think that's where it is these days. I'm not sure form your description if this is what you want or you want the functionality provided by a thing called Payee Rules Manager or you want something you can't have. Somewhere in there lies the solution. "RmF" <RmF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D4394AF4-40...

PM
Is there an option to set the default date for the Void Date to the current date vs. the trasaction date? Meaning that I want to use the current date as the posting date instead of the doc date, without having to remember to change it manually (senility). Thanks Jeff G Jeff, There is no option to do this, you have to keep changing the date manually unless you want to have a customization that does this. -- Victoria Yudin GP MVP "Jeff G" <jgarrison@theathletesfoot.com> wrote in message news:uJCMQ8hQGHA.2692@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Is there an option to set t...

Order Fulfillment Date bug?
When you fulfill an order (ACTIONS->FULFILL ORDER), a dialog window pops up and you can specify the date the order was fulfilled, which may of course be a date in the past. I assume that this date is written to the DATEFULFILLED attribute in the ORDER entity. Problem is that no matter what date is entered as the fulfillment date, the DATEFULFILLED reverts to the current date. We need to be able to specify and retrieve the actual date the order was fulfilled, not the date CRM was updated. Grateful for any insights! Henricus ...

Graph where source data has different dates
I'm trying to do a comparision line graph with two series of data. The are both tracked by date with the same range (from April 2008 to April 2009). However one series has data monthly and the other has data weekly. When I try to combine on a graph the dates just don't line up. Is it possible to have these line up correctly. I've tried formatting the axis to days instead of months but it appears to only line up data points. So for the data reported monthly, it is graphed across the first 12 days. Hopefully that makes sense. If not, just let me know & I'll try t...

Spreadsheet as data entry form
I wish to use some of my excell files as dataforms so I will have all information straight away in database, are there any good ways to do such a thing or my idea is crazy ? regards Peter Hi Peter my "database" do you mean in excel or in a database program? either can be achieved (although i've not had much experience with writing from excel to a database). if you mean a database (ie flat file - records running across rows and the fields in columns) in excel, then one place to start is to create your "database" (put the headings in row 1) and then as long as you&...

Using Journal to record daily tasks
Does anyone know how to make new journal entry types default to "task" instead of to "phone call?" Thanks, Marti ...

Use XML Classes or DataSet to manage Data Records?
I am currently using native .net XML classes for managing my little key/value data storage requirements and they work great. I have created a simple class to abstract the XML and manage my key/value data requirements that saves me tons of time and works great. Now I need to use XML files to store and manage records as a flat file (no relational data) and was wondering which path would be best. Do the native ..net classes make this kind of data manipultion easy (such as creating an auto index field) or am I better of to read the XML file into a DataSet and manipulate it from there. If native ...

Records in Listbox Identified in Reverse Order
Hello, I have a list box that is populated as data is entered into the form. (I'm reusing a database that worked well, but needed editing for a different project.) In the original database, the records were identified correctly--first item entered is record 1, second item entered is record 2,... In the "new" database (I had to modify some data sources), the items are in reverse. The first item entered is record 2, the second item entered is record 1,... Any idea why this is occurring? I've checked what I know to check and cannot tell what the problem ...

Displaying only the FIRST TWO WORDS of a field
I am writing a report that could get quite lengthy. Therefore, instead of displaying the entire description in a report, is there anyway of displaying just the first two words of the description. The format of the description field is "XXX <WordOfAnyLength>" where XXX is a fixed length of 3 characters, followed by a space. The next word can be any length. I would like to display the first two words in their entirety. Thanks. Try this expression in the query Field: TwoWords: LEFT([Description],Instr(5,[Description] & " "," ")) Short...

Last record backcolor
Hi I have samll report with fields, trnDate and Customer and Balance. Balance is the running sum, I want to change the background color of Balance if the transaction is last for that month. Pls I dont want to create group for month. Since you don't want to do it the easy way you will have to modify the query that is the report's source. Personally I would group by month and have a group header with a control that was set to get the count of records in the group. You can set the visible property of the header to no so it has no effect on how the report looks. ...

Date Format #9
Hi I copy a SQL Query output and place it into Excel. The time column shows dates as 4/7/2006 4:02:10 AM, 2/28/2006 10:37:39 AM, 3/1/2006 1:56:40 PM. IS there a way to get rid of the hr, min and secs ? I used the format cells function on eg 4/7/2006 4:02:10 AM, 2/28/2006 10:37:39 AM, 3/1/2006 1:56:40 PM. and the columns show 4/7/2006, 2/28/2006, 3/1/2006. However, when you select the each cell, it still actually retains the values as 4/7/2006 4:02:10 AM, 2/28/2006 10:37:39 AM, 3/1/2006 1:56:40 PM I need the dates only because I am plotting a graph. With the hr, min and sec fun...

Send Date to a Memo Field
I have a subform with the following fields: Status NoteField I would like the double click event for Status to do the following: Change the status to "Ordered" Change the Notefield to Notefield + The Current Date I have tried: Private Sub Status_DblClick(Cancel As Integer) Status.Text = "ORDERED" NoteField.SetFocus NoteField.Value = NoteField.Text & Date End Sub I have also tried Notefield.Text in place of NoteField.Value I can copy text but I cannot get the date into the NoteField field. Thanks Your code does fail, as stated. I did a little modif...

Error in in validating some dates
Hi all, i've installed SQL server 2000 english version and the CRM server in my native language, italian. Italian date formatting is different from the US model, i.e. we use 24/12/2004 instead of 12/24/2004. So, in some case, in particular for due dates, the validating of the suggested date format sends me an error and doesn't insert the record. I've set italian language on mail SQL server properties, but i got no benefit. Any idea about this behavior? Thanks in advance. Domenico. Hi Domenico, See if this helps at all: Go to Home > Settings > System Customization. ...

Continuous form / new record
Hi all, I have the following issue.. In a continuous form, for each new record, I have a command button that “creates” a related record...this command button is visible in the “next record” even if a record is not created in the current form. How do I restrict the command button from creating a new related record if the current record is not created..? I hope I managed to explain my problem well... Thanks! On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 23:19:02 -0800, Peter <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: If you setup your db design correctly, the related (child) record CANNOT be...

ON RECORD CHANGE
I would really like some on record change events off of which I could run code how about on record change on previous record on next record on last record on first record just like the nav buttons at the bottom of a form. IUt's really irritating to have to make custom nav buttons just so I can run code off of them. -- BlueWolverine MSE - Mech. Eng. Go BLUE! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see ...

How can I check the expiry date on my office trial version?
I recently activated the OEM trial version of MS Office on a PC that I was using for other applications before. I seem to remember that the expiry date displyed at activation was shorter than I expected and wanted to check this. So far the Office applications have not prompted me with warnings about the expiry. How can I display this information? Thanks, Peter Whenever you start you get nagging alerts informing you that you have xx days left or xx times left to use this application. You can also check whether or not it is trial by going to: Windows Logo/Word Options/Res...

Lost Calendar Entries
Somehow, between adding email accounts and seperate data files for those email accounts, I've lost all the entries in my calendar. Is there any way to get them back? I still have all the pst data files and they are all in use. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks "MrMike" <MrMike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A209348C-2906-403D-879A-3894182C2223@microsoft.com... > Somehow, between adding email accounts and seperate data files for those > email accounts, I've lost all the entries in my calendar. Is there any way > ...

insert the last date when the file was modifie
Dear all; This should be an easy one for you ; I work on spreadsheets daily and then save them to refer to them later or update them. What I would like to achieve is : When I actually work on a spreadsheet - i want to insert the date of the day only when the data changed or update the contents of the worksheet. i mean what i am trying to achieve is insert the last date in a specefic cell when that the file was modified (upadted-cahnge of contents) Is there perhaps any way to do this I thank you for your help and your offers Hi Chetoos. Take a look at Mr. McGimpsey's site: ht...

date filter
my table has a date/time field. when I datasheet it , it shows date in format dd/mm/yy. In my report I want to filter the date field on 8th Feb 2008. If I set filter to tabdate = #08/02/2008# it doesn't find any records, however if I put tabdate = #02/08/2008# it finds them fine. Why do I have to use mm/dd/yyy format ? "simcon" wrote: > my table has a date/time field. when I datasheet it , it shows date in format > dd/mm/yy. In my report I want to filter the date field on 8th Feb 2008. > If I set filter to tabdate = #08/02/2008# it doesn't find any records, &...

Record auditing
Hi there, I would like to know if there is any way to follow up a record (for instance, a case) in order to know all the changes that case went through, who made the changes and when. A kind of auditing for the record (state modified by user1 on July 4th; state reason modified by user2 on July 5th.....) Thanks, Chus Protech Associates Inc supports our CRM application. They installed an add on product that allows you to do this. I think their web site is www.ptassoc.com >-----Original Message----- >Hi there, > >I would like to know if there is any way to follow up a recor...