Fields

I am working in an education template and want to see if there is a way to
create a field that can be added to periodically to show all the courses a
person takes from my instructors.  I created a field named course but it is
only allowing me to put one course in.  How can I make the field list all the
courses?

Thanks,

Nantika
--
Enjoy every day!

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 09:18:01 -0700, Nantika
<Nantika@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am working in an education template and want to see if there is a way to
>create a field that can be added to periodically to show all the courses a
>person takes from my instructors.  I created a field named course but it is
>only allowing me to put one course in.  How can I make the field list all the
>courses?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Nantika

You're misunderstaning how relational databases work.

A field should be "atomic" - having one and only one value.

A student-enrollment database is a perfect example of a (very common)
many-to-many relationship. Each Student can take zero, one, or many Courses;
each Course is taken by zero, one or many Students. The proper structure for
this has three tables:

Students
  StudentID <primary key>
  LastName
  FirstName
  <other biographical data, but nothing about courses>

Courses
  CourseNo <primary key>
  CourseTitle
  <other info about the course as a thing in itself>

Enrollment
  StudentID <link to Students, who's enrolled>
  CourseNo <link to Courses, what are they enrolled in>
  <other info about this course as it pertains to this student, e.g. date
enrolled>

You would enter multiple *records* into the Enrollment table for each student.

You may want to look at some of the tutorials in these webpages. I believe
that some of the tutorials use class enrollment as an example:

Jeff Conrad's resources page:
http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html

The Access Web resources page:
http://www.mvps.org/access/resources/index.html

Roger Carlson's tutorials, samples and tips:
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/

A free tutorial written by Crystal:
http://allenbrowne.com/casu-22.html

A video how-to series by Crystal:
http://www.YouTube.com/user/LearnAccessByCrystal

MVP Allen Browne's tutorials:
http://allenbrowne.com/links.html#Tutorials

--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

Pivot table field dropdown list reset #2
I would like to know if there is a way to reset a field dropdown list in a pivot table. In some field sometimes I delete data from the source and some items of the field will no longer be there. However, when I refresh the pivot table the dropdown list will still show the old items even if they're not in the source data anymore. I really need your help with this. Thanks a lot in advance for your help, Francisco Molina ...

How to use field values in OnChange Events???
hi all, in an OnChange-Event of an user defined field (named CFPcountry, Picklist) I would like to catch the new value and write it to another field (address1_country). How do i adress this fields? The following code doesn't work: crmForm.address1_country.Value = event.srcElement.returnValue; I would like to transfer the textcontent of the picklist field (e.g. Germany, France, United States etc...), not the index value. Thanks in advance, Dennis The returnValue expando contains the integer representing the selected item while value contains the actual string value. Jason Hunt Techn...

employee maintenance fields should prepopulate across the product
Any required field on the employee maintenance window should serve as the default for that same field at the employee level in all portions of Dynamics GP. Having to input the same info across multiple applications opens the door for increased user error. But, if one only has to change the fields that would be different than the defaults he/she is less likely to inaccurate data. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. ...

Relate E-mails to Campaigns through Regarding field
I would like to be able to send an email and set the Regarding field to a Campaign record in CRM. I see that Campaigns are only available in the Regarding field when working with the Task activity type. Is there a way (supported or not) to enable Campaigns in the Regarding field for the E-mail activity type? Can the customization XML be maniputlated to allow this for example? Hi Randy, Why would you want the activities (excluding Task) regarding to be set as a campaign? They already have a relationship with Campaign Activities. Thanks Joe ...

the viewstate hidden field, how can I reduce it?
hi asp.net 3.5 I see in my page that the hidden field viewstate is relativly very large, and are looking for ways to reduce it. Because I think it can improve ranking. <input type="hidden" name="__VIEWSTATE" id="__VIEWSTATE" value="WJ6eLjF5Grnr80+KngeZIcTDmEbX+zjv6ptIUmMgYaqKCBB/5hAKJ748W52U1l74GfNLHDuTLuwC/O4GQE/Sp+BnQYsW+nJHK+Qkg6xfb467kHRpiCUUl/Uv2tgQssSa2K4sfbMyaL/IIlb03091A3lbQV1wLMDvL7NPqXgwJERA1+Cx2eNlzll2WkbhNQw5Ne0FmtmBXaZysPeDEeQIrl5R2IesEHnCbrG5Mz2otNviv2JKia1yXgAKw3ljDlH7wmYWOF+WXn9lhsF5YElQnMZV2hpzQjJ91O5YARub/ci77gftNaI2Z6FqHjH...

How can I delete a space/character from a number of fields?
I have a column that has hyphenated numbers (XX-XX-XX-XXX-XXXX) and I need to get rid of the hyphens. They are all in the same format so I think if I could write code to del the 3rd, 6th, 9th, etc characters from a cell, it would work. I just can't seem to figure the code out. or is there an easier way? Thx. Why not just select the all the cells and use Excel's Edit/Replace to replace the hyphens with the empty string (put a hyphen in the "Find what" field and leave the "Replace with" field empty)? -- Rick (MVP - Excel) "BABs" &...

Multiple null fields
Here what im trying to do. If any of the three Text fields are null then display msgbox. It works fine with just one text box, but I can’t seem to understand how to look at three text fields. What’s the proper way to use multiple fields? If IsNull([Text65] Or [Text67] Or [Text69]) Then intSave = MsgBox("Are you sure you want to go to a new customer without inputing a Action?", vbYesNo + vbQuestion + vbDefaultButton2, "Save Confirmation") If intSave = vbYes Then DoCmd.Close DoCmd.OpenForm "FrmCustSearch" End If Else DoCmd.Close ...

Form Field Auto-Resize
I have a form based on a table with Memo fields. Is it possible to have the form fields automatically resize if I cut and paste text from documents into the form? Thanks, (B^>)-]=[ On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 07:01:09 -0400, "WSR" <wsr203@hughes.net> wrote: No. CanGrow can be used with Reports. With forms you're on your own to do the resizing. Not a trivial task with proportional fonts. -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >I have a form based on a table with Memo fields. Is it possible to have the >form fields automatically resize if I cut and paste...

Item Price List Maintenance Percent Field
In the Item Price List Maintenance there is a field to add a percent in. I am trying to build a smart list that will give me this percent, but I am unable to get the out come I wish. I did find a tech article that says "the Percent field is stored in the UOMPRICE field of the Item Price List (IV00108) table." When I look at the Item Maintenance Card Part A does not have a Standard Cost, but it has a Current cost and it has a List Price. When I go into the Item Price List Maintenance there is a percent in the percent field. When I look at the Item Maintenance Card Part B doe...

GP Field service: no problems reports??
Does anybody know how we can find or build a report that shows the quantity of problems (and which one) encountered within a specified period of time, for each item? ...

fields w/no value
I am trying to run a report of services received. The query looks like this: client id case mgmt counseling home delivered meals medical referral 35 3 2 40 1 1 44 10 1 55 2 1 1 Not all fields have a value for each c...

Please help! Displaying only rows with empty cells in a numeric field using Advanced Filter. Thanks
Folks I am learning how to use the Advanced Filter (Menus: Data, Filter, Advanced Filter). I can’t use Autofilter because in some cases I have to look for records that have to meet more than 2 conditions in the same field Some of the fields in the list that I am trying to filter have only numeric values. One of the conditions I am trying to define would allow me to filter the list exposing those rows in a numeric field that are blank (empty cells containing no data). I have tried using the following wildcard and formula combinations� <>* , =C11="" and <g … in the criter...

excel save as csv
I need to generate a csv file that encloses every text field with a double quote like this - "abc", "def","ghi", etc. Currently, excel will do this ONLY with fields that contain a comma like this - "word1, word2", def, ghi Any help would be much appreciated! Take a look here: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html In article <51B9385E-F0F9-4A0E-B336-497E2883EA2D@microsoft.com>, "Newbie-Don" <Newbie-Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I need to generate a csv file that encloses every text field with a doub...

Capture URL from internet in Access field
I have after the update of a combo box to go to the internet. then once there to choose a document to open. After the user chooses the document, how do I capture the complete url (which includes the document name) and save it back into the Access field? So, first the capture of the complete url so that the next time any user clicks on the field in Access they will be taken directly to the document which is located on the internet with browing for it. Thanks, Roy -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com ...

Pulling specific data from table field
I am having a problem figuring the right way to pull specific data from within the text of the table's field and separating it into a unique field alone. Anyway, my problem is that I need to copy a user's first name out of a field that contains system user information, and then pull the last name out separately as well, both uniquely. I don't mind having separate queries to do this (although one would be preferred of course). Table: tbl1 Field: userinfo Example of field data: ABD 000000 111, Doe John, R, W, T22222222, T333333 The ABC and 111 are constants within ...

Search Performance & Indexing
Hi there, Does anyone know what the search performance is like with a few hundred thousand records on a custom 'account number' field? The out-of-box deployment indexes a few fields, and I am assuming it is unsupported to change these indexes. I have read through the performance papers from Microsoft and they have benchmark tested against few million records without any issues - but primarily these searches were done on out-of box fields. Any thoughts and advise on this would be greatly appreciated. ...

Locking a field for update once data has been entered.
I need to be able to lock a memo field once a user has input data into it so that it cannot be changed. Can someone please provide me with the code i need to include. Thanks. Two situations to consider. A new record or an existing record where no data has been entered in the memo field. Since you did not specify, I will code it so that it is available for entry until the user has made an entry then moved away from the current record. Then, it will not be editable from a form. If your users have direct access to tables, you really can't prevent it. In the Form Current event, te...

count based on another field
I have a table in my database which records when a case is marked by an assessor. The table shows the case number, the assessor ID that the case has been assigned to and also an indicator to determine whether or not the case is closed. I need the query to show: The assessor ID number The number of cases assigned to a particular assessor the number of cases assigned to a particular assessor that are incomplete The first two are fine, however, how do I limit the last part of the query to show only the cases assigned to each assessor? thanks <barrynichols@gmail.com> wrote in message...

Only show one name of DL in To Field
I would like to use a distribution list and when the recipients receive the message have them only see their name in the To field and no one elses. Is this possible. Thanks Have you tried just putting the distribution list in the Bcc (blind carbon copy) field. If it isn't showing click View > Bcc field "Ann" <trotto@beckercollege.edu> wrote in message news:123e01c3c3f4$ba55fd60$3101280a@phx.gbl... > I would like to use a distribution list and when the > recipients receive the message have them only see their > name in the To field and no one elses. Is this...

Change Field Label on OnChange
Hi, Is there a way to change the label of a field on an OnChange event? TIA, Gaurav Unforunately no. At least not in a supported way. I'm sure you could come up with some javascript that would do this though. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:29:02 -0800, Gaurav Dalal <GauravDalal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Hi, Is there a way to change the label of a field on an OnChange event? TIA, Gaurav ...

can a field populate another field elsewhere in a 07 document?
can a field in a word 2007 document populate other fields such as a Name field populating Name Fields on several other pages for multiple pages of paperwork containing the same info instead of redundantly typing the name on each page? See http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm for some useful tips and options. -- Hope this helps DeanH "Gutz" wrote: > can a field in a word 2007 document populate other fields such as a Name > field populating Name Fields on several other pages for multiple pages of > paperwork containing the same info instead of...

Lookup Field Issues
I have a lookup field in a table that is "text" data type and restricted to values in the list. It works properly when entering data, meaning it won't let the enterer remove the focus from the field if the text they've entered isn't in the list. But for some reason it will allow text values to be pasted into the field even if they aren't in the list. I want to use the field to check for consistency in preexisting data using copy and paste. In my experience this should create a "Paste Errors" table with all the records having a value for this fie...

Forms - Conditional Field Locking
I have a form with three fields. We will call them BillingID, ClientID and ClientName. I want to lock the second and third fields unless something in entered into the first field. I would also like to allow the End User to tab past the second and third field (TabStop = No) if no value is placed in the first field. Can one one help me? Thank you ahead of time. -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com ...

Adding a "." to the end of a field
On a report, i'm trying to add a ".", at the end of a field with a phone number input mask. I've tried several things to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to make it appear as follows: If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at (Phone Number). Thanks in advance for your help -- Scott Scott Since you are working in a report, you don't need to mess with the data to get that done. In a control that will hold your message, type the following into the Control Source property: = "If you have any questions, p...

TO field blank in Outlook 2003 intermittently
Other people have had this problem, but I've yet to find a solution. When sending new messages, replying to messages, etc. Outlook 2003 users will send messages that are missing the TO field information on receipt. If they check Sent Items, the TO fields are also blank. Sometimes if sending to three people, one will show or none. No rhyme or reason to it. Using Exchange 5.5 SP4, btw, which seems to be a common theme. Will this happen when you use Outlook 2003 on a stand alone computer. Check out if this happens only when you have Outlook in an exchange server environment. If t...