Design with no experience

Hi There,

I have no experience with access, so please let me know if this task is too
big.

Is it feasible for me to develop a databse for my private music students
that tracks and reports on the following:

Contact Info
Individual and overall Attendance
Individual and overall Payments
Material covered in each lesson

Cheers!

That REALLY depends...!

Here are four areas I suggest folks understand if they intend to build an
application in Access:
  1.  Normalization & relational database design
  2.  Access tips/tricks
  3.  Graphical user interface design
  4.  Experience building applications

To the extent that any/all of these are new to you, plan on spending time
working your way up the learning curve(s).

So, it depends ...

How much time do you have to get this done?

How much do you need/care to learn?

Good luck!

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

".:RoKsTaR:." <.:RoKsTaR:.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi There,
>
> I have no experience with access, so please let me know if this task is
> too
> big.
>
> Is it feasible for me to develop a databse for my private music students
> that tracks and reports on the following:
>
> Contact Info
> Individual and overall Attendance
> Individual and overall Payments
> Material covered in each lesson
>
> Cheers!

0
Jeff
11/12/2009 7:23:41 PM
I'm usually pretty quick at learning new programs. I'm constantly having to
learn new ones being in the music business since there's new programs almost
every month.

I think it would make my business a lot easier to run, so I have no problem
devoting the time to it.  That being said, I'm not sure where to start...I
did a tutorial on the MS Access page, but what next?

"Jeff Boyce" wrote:

> That REALLY depends...!
>
> Here are four areas I suggest folks understand if they intend to build an
> application in Access:
>   1.  Normalization & relational database design
>   2.  Access tips/tricks
>   3.  Graphical user interface design
>   4.  Experience building applications
>
> To the extent that any/all of these are new to you, plan on spending time
> working your way up the learning curve(s).
>
> So, it depends ...
>
> How much time do you have to get this done?
>
> How much do you need/care to learn?
>
> Good luck!
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Access MVP
>
> --
> Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned
> in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein
> does not constitute endorsement thereof.

> guarantee as to suitability.

> possible/necessary.
>
> ".:RoKsTaR:." <.:RoKsTaR:.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi There,
> >
> > I have no experience with access, so please let me know if this task is
> > too
> > big.
> >
> > Is it feasible for me to develop a databse for my private music students
> > that tracks and reports on the following:
> >
> > Contact Info
> > Individual and overall Attendance
> > Individual and overall Payments
> > Material covered in each lesson
> >
> > Cheers!
> >

> .

It's a little different.   From a learning standpoint, Access is more like a
big toolbox than a program.  And besides just learning what the tools and how
to use them, yo have to start learing architecture (information and db
structures) to decide what to build with those tools and how to build it.

Sometimes it good to structure/facilitate/move along your learning by trying
to simultaneously.   So here's something like that.   Try to:

Decide what the fundamental "entities" are that you are trying to database.
 My guess is that they are

T1. People
T2. Instances of payment for instruction (of that person)
T3. Instances of a class being scheduled for a person

Make a table for each of those entities, include an autonumber primary key
in each table.   For people name the PK Field "PeopleID"

Add an integer (not autonumber) field "PeopleID" in tables  T2 &  T3.
(these are "foreign keys) and link each of those fields to the "PeopleID"
field in T1

Add fields for each of the attributes that you want to record about your
entities.  Here are a few of the more abstract ones:

T1
Current Student? (yes/no)

T2

T3
Showed up?  (yes/no)
Description of material covered.

-  -  -

Now make datasheet style forms for T2 and T2. These will be used as subforms

Make a "one record per page" style form for T1.    Then put the T2 & T3
subforms into it.

Then make reports that summarizes T2 records, grouped by Person
Then make reports that summarizes T3 records, grouped by Person

Of courses, explainiing in detail how to do the above is a book, not a post,
but trying to do the above should help driver/direct the learing process.

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 12:32:10 -0800, .:RoKsTaR:.
<RoKsTaR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I think it would make my business a lot easier to run, so I have no problem
>devoting the time to it.  That being said, I'm not sure where to start...I
>did a tutorial on the MS Access page, but what next?

Jeff Conrad's resources page:
http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html

The Access Web resources page:
http://www.mvps.org/access/resources/index.html

Roger Carlson's tutorials, samples and tips:
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/

A free tutorial written by Crystal:
http://allenbrowne.com/casu-22.html

A video how-to series by Crystal:
http://www.YouTube.com/user/LearnAccessByCrystal

MVP Allen Browne's tutorials:
http://allenbrowne.com/links.html#Tutorials

The last three specifically. If you're new to database design, Crystal's video
is a great start.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

> I'm usually pretty quick at learning new programs. I'm constantly having
> learn new ones being in the music business since there's new programs
> almost
> every month.
>
> I think it would make my business a lot easier to run, so I have no
> problem
> devoting the time to it.  That being said, I'm not sure where to start...I
> did a tutorial on the MS Access page, but what next?
>

> "Jeff Boyce" wrote:
>
>> That REALLY depends...!
>>
>> Here are four areas I suggest folks understand if they intend to build an
>> application in Access:
>>   1.  Normalization & relational database design
>>   2.  Access tips/tricks
>>   3.  Graphical user interface design
>>   4.  Experience building applications
>>
>> To the extent that any/all of these are new to you, plan on spending time
>> working your way up the learning curve(s).
>>
>> So, it depends ...
>>
>> How much time do you have to get this done?
>>
>> How much do you need/care to learn?
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Jeff Boyce
>> Microsoft Access MVP
>>
>> --
>> Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned
>> in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein
>> does not constitute endorsement thereof.
>>
>> Any code or pseudocode included in this post is offered "as is", with no
>> guarantee as to suitability.
>>
>> You can thank the FTC of the USA for making this disclaimer
>> possible/necessary.
>>
>> ".:RoKsTaR:." <.:RoKsTaR:.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi There,
>> >
>> > I have no experience with access, so please let me know if this task is
>> > too
>> > big.
>> >
>> > Is it feasible for me to develop a databse for my private music
>> > students
>> > that tracks and reports on the following:
>> >
>> > Contact Info
>> > Individual and overall Attendance
>> > Individual and overall Payments
>> > Material covered in each lesson
>> >
>> > Cheers!
>> >

>> .

0
Jeff
11/12/2009 10:56:15 PM
Wow! Thanks, I'm pretty sure I know how to do all that stuff.  I'll get
started right away and be back with any questions I have ;)

Thanks again!

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 12:32:10 -0800, .:RoKsTaR:.
> <RoKsTaR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I think it would make my business a lot easier to run, so I have no problem
> >devoting the time to it.  That being said, I'm not sure where to start...I
> >did a tutorial on the MS Access page, but what next?
>
> Jeff Conrad's resources page:
> http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html
>
> The Access Web resources page:
> http://www.mvps.org/access/resources/index.html
>
> Roger Carlson's tutorials, samples and tips:
> http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/
>
> A free tutorial written by Crystal:
> http://allenbrowne.com/casu-22.html
>
> A video how-to series by Crystal:
> http://www.YouTube.com/user/LearnAccessByCrystal
>
> MVP Allen Browne's tutorials:
> http://allenbrowne.com/links.html#Tutorials
>

> The last three specifically. If you're new to database design, Crystal's video
> is a great start.
> --
>
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]
> .

Thanks again, I'll definitely have some things to study and practice on :)

"Jeff Boyce" wrote:

> I'm with Fred & John ... Access is not a "bookcase" (which everyone knows
> how to use), its not ANY kind of furniture, its a tool set you use to build
> furniture.  Please re-check my 4 learning curves.  Using Access successfully
> may involve working through all 4.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Access MVP
>
> --
> Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned
> in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein
> does not constitute endorsement thereof.

> guarantee as to suitability.

> possible/necessary.
>
> ".:RoKsTaR:." <RoKsTaR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm usually pretty quick at learning new programs. I'm constantly having
> > learn new ones being in the music business since there's new programs
> > almost
> > every month.
> >
> > I think it would make my business a lot easier to run, so I have no
> > problem
> > devoting the time to it.  That being said, I'm not sure where to start...I
> > did a tutorial on the MS Access page, but what next?
> >

> > "Jeff Boyce" wrote:
> >
> >> That REALLY depends...!
> >>
> >> Here are four areas I suggest folks understand if they intend to build an
> >> application in Access:
> >>   1.  Normalization & relational database design
> >>   2.  Access tips/tricks
> >>   3.  Graphical user interface design
> >>   4.  Experience building applications
> >>
> >> To the extent that any/all of these are new to you, plan on spending time
> >> working your way up the learning curve(s).
> >>
> >> So, it depends ...
> >>
> >> How much time do you have to get this done?
> >>
> >> How much do you need/care to learn?
> >>
> >> Good luck!
> >>
> >> Regards
> >>
> >> Jeff Boyce
> >> Microsoft Access MVP
> >>
> >> --
> >> Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned
> >> in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein
> >> does not constitute endorsement thereof.
> >>
> >> Any code or pseudocode included in this post is offered "as is", with no
> >> guarantee as to suitability.
> >>
> >> You can thank the FTC of the USA for making this disclaimer
> >> possible/necessary.
> >>
> >> ".:RoKsTaR:." <.:RoKsTaR:.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>

> .

Same thing as I wrote B4 with some of my crucial typos / omissions corrected.

It's a little different. From a learning standpoint, Access is more like a
big toolbox than a program. And besides just learning what the tools and how
to use them, you have to start learning architecture (information and db
structures) to design what to build with those tools.

Sometimes it's good to structure/facilitate/move along your learning by
trying to do "make" something specific simultaneously with your reading.  So
[...]

- - -

Now make datasheet style forms for T2 and T2. These will be used as subforms

Make a "one record per page" style form for T1. Then put the T2 & T3
subforms into it.

Then make reports that summarize T2 records, grouped by Person
Then make reports that summarize T3 records, grouped by Person

Of course, explaining in detail how to do the above is a book, not a post,
but trying to do the above should help drive/direct the learning process.

So I watched crystals video and went through some of the other material and
have been noodling around with the program and existing databases to help
figure things out.  In crystals video, she talks about putting people,
addresses, and phone numbers in their own table and linking them by their
unique id or key number.  Existing templates do this all in one table, whcih
to me makes data entry easier, but I'm not sure.

Can anyone clarify if separate tables would make the data entry portion more
time consuming?  Can you have one form that enters data into many tables?

Side note : A friend of mine told me he can get me some training dvds from
his office library, so I think that's my next step ;)

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 05:59:01 -0800, .:RoKsTaR:.
<RoKsTaR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>So I watched crystals video and went through some of the other material and
>have been noodling around with the program and existing databases to help
>figure things out.  In crystals video, she talks about putting people,
>addresses, and phone numbers in their own table and linking them by their
>unique id or key number.  Existing templates do this all in one table, whcih
>to me makes data entry easier, but I'm not sure.

One table makes data entry easier... but is also more limited. Some people use
more than one address; many people use more than one phone (home, office,
mobile for example). It's a judgement call based on how the database will be
used - some databases will be fine with one table (with its limitations),
others may need separate tables.

>Can anyone clarify if separate tables would make the data entry portion more
>time consuming?  Can you have one form that enters data into many tables?

Sure. A Form based on Contacts with Subforms based on the Address and Phone
tables. There'll actually be three forms, but they'll all be onscreen and
editable at the same time.

>Side note : A friend of mine told me he can get me some training dvds from
>his office library, so I think that's my next step ;)

If they're good ones....

--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
11/14/2009 6:22:32 PM
I talked to him yesterday and he said that he can get me something called
trainsignal from their library.  He says it's pretty intense and he thinks
his company used it to certify some employees for access...does that sound
right?
He says it something called trainsignal, but didn't know much about it.  From
what I can tell, it looks pretty thorough :)
Whoops ;)  I dind;t think that first post showed up so I did another
one...sorry ;)
I have not watched Crystals (even through she is an Access teaching goddess)
but I suspect that you misinterpreded something from it, and, either way, you
post indicates that you have yet to really understand the important
foundation items.

(The table design that ends up as ) linking tables  is to to properly handle
"one to many" and "many to many" type relationships between the entities that
you are databasing.

If the entity that you are databasing in your address book is just People
(i.e not organizations, companies, etc.  lists of  coins that those people
own )   chances are that putting all of their info into one table (i.e. not
separate linked tables) is the best way for you to go.
No I get the one to one, one to many, and many to many relationship.  My
question was, does it make  data entry more time consuming to have the info
in many tables over one.  Needless to say, John clarified it for me and I'll
probably do many tables so I don't have to make changes later on ;)

"Fred" wrote:

> I have not watched Crystals (even through she is an Access teaching goddess)
> but I suspect that you misinterpreded something from it, and, either way, you
> post indicates that you have yet to really understand the important
> foundation items.
>

> (The table design that ends up as ) linking tables  is to to properly handle
> "one to many" and "many to many" type relationships between the entities that
> you are databasing.
>
> If the entity that you are databasing in your address book is just People
> (i.e not organizations, companies, etc.  lists of  coins that those people
> own )   chances are that putting all of their info into one table (i.e. not
> separate linked tables) is the best way for you to go.
In the meantime you also can look at other Data model from another
contributer Barry Williams site here.

http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_models/index.htm

look something under music or student (I guess).

.:RoKsTaR:. wrote:
>No I get the one to one, one to many, and many to many relationship.  My
>question was, does it make  data entry more time consuming to have the info
>in many tables over one.  Needless to say, John clarified it for me and I'll
>probably do many tables so I don't have to make changes later on ;)

--
Please Rate the posting if helps you.

AccessVandal
11/24/2009 4:41:54 AM
Convenience of data entry depends on how things are set up.  There may be one
phone number or there may be several.  You could have Phone1, Phone2 etc.
fields in your main table, but you have to guess about the maximum number you
will need, and you are unlikely to guess correctly.  With the phone number
information in a related table you need a continuous subform or other
mechanism to display the phone numbers.  If you make the subform big enough
to display three records (phone numbers), in some cases there will be empty
fields that take up room on the form, but if there are four or more phone
numbers it is no problem, as you can scroll up or down as needed.  There are
other options, such as a phone number subform on a tab page.  My point is
about the overall structure, not the details of the interface.  If you allow
for unlimited phone numbers you can find a way that makes sense for entering
and displaying the numbers.  However, if you allow for three numbers in the
main table there is no good way to add a fourth.

I would keep in mind how often such information needs to be changed.  A
somewhat inconvenient data entry approach may be an acceptable trade-off for
a convenient display.

For payment, attendance, and materials there is no reasonable alternative to
related tables.  The details depend on considerations such as the
relationship between materials and attendance.  If you want to associate
specific material with specific lessons (attendance) you may approach it
differently than if you just want a listing of materials covered or books
purchased or some such.

.:RoKsTaR:. wrote:
>No I get the one to one, one to many, and many to many relationship.  My
>question was, does it make  data entry more time consuming to have the info
>in many tables over one.  Needless to say, John clarified it for me and I'll
>probably do many tables so I don't have to make changes later on ;)
>
>> I have not watched Crystals (even through she is an Access teaching goddess)
>> but I suspect that you misinterpreded something from it, and, either way, you
>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
>> own )   chances are that putting all of their info into one table (i.e. not
>> separate linked tables) is the best way for you to go.

BruceM

Form Design Question 07-05-07
I am new to Access and working on developing a new request tracking database for our customer service team. The following two fields are required at the table level when inputting a new request: Field Name: SOURCE ddl selections include: Call, email, web, fax Field Name: REQUEST TYPE ddl selections include: New, Edit, Dispute Here's what I would like to do...If the user selects a REQUEST TYPE = to "Dispute", make another group of required fields appear on the form to be populated before saving the record. I know this can be done, just not sure of the best wasy to appro...

Designing Reports for MsCRM 3.0
What is needed to design or modify reports for CRM 3.0 running on SQL 2000? Specifically what versions and components of Visual Studio are required? Thanks Gill Opsis www.opsis.com.au Hi Gil: I have an article on this on my blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/jstraumann/ -- John [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of any included script or code samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm. "Gill" <gill@nospam_opsis.com.au> wrote in message news:8FB42B2A-94C3-4184-B8E4-DC...

How do I design a label template?
I need to design a template in Publisher for round labels. I have downloaded the template from a web site in Word, but would like to use it in Publisher. What size? The setup for 2.5 labels are Side margin .25, top margin .5, Horizontal gap .25, vertical gap zero This will result in 3 columns and 4 rows Avery 5294 -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "PegGall" <PegGall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D68BDD7B-CD5E-4E7A-BDD5-EB2498CB4B5A@microsoft.com... >I need to design a template in P...

How do you universally change watermarks in a 'Seasonal design'
I would like to use Publisher's Seasonal newsletter design but I am hoping to find a way to change the seasonal watermarks each season without manually replacing them. That would be nice but I'm afraid that if you don't do it, no one else will. (And when you do, send me a copy. <g, d, & r>) -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6AFB5A2D-8301-4E20-A602-656569F3D89A@microsoft.com... >I would like to use Publisher's Seasonal newsletter design but I am hoping >to > find ...

Macro recording the design of a report using report wizard
Can I record the steps/procedures when creating a MS Access report using the Report Wizard? Reason for this, I have a dynamite query for the report and the field names in the query is different each time when executed. I acn not put the statis column name in teh report. Some of the other Access apps can record macros, but Access does not do this. There are times when the field names change - particularly with crosstabs. But it might be possible to alias the fields in the query, or design it so that the names don't constantly change. If that is not possible, you may have to save...

2 Designers
All, how would you handle having two persons who work on creating/designing/editing a DB? TIA FYI I'm not in this situation but just in case. Simultaneously or consecutively? If simultaneously, one approach might be to allow both to open the same file, but the first one on an object will 'lock' it from the other. If consecutively, you'd need a way to ensure that PersonB doesn't start until PersonA is done ... that's a matter of communication. There are tools that help with the communication ... Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Access MVP ...

Saving designs
I must either have bad software or I'm not doing something. When I try to save a created page in documents, assistant scrathes the screen gives mw a ballon which simply says - miccrosoft Publisher and an OK button. How do I save either page by page or whole publication to work on later? Hi- Try a "find files" search for the name of one of the files you have tried to save...they especially like to hide in the "Temporary Internet" folders (even if you are sure you specified the "My Documents" folder!) M. >-----Original Message----- >I must either...

using HTML to design an email
I wondered, in Outlook Express you can edit your source directly in an email (by using the Edit tab at the bottom).. Why is this feature not available in Outlook? Or is it, but actually hidden? If so could someone tell me how i should proceed? Thx in advance Anyone? Now i need to design my email in Dreamweaver and then copy the code to my Outlook Express. Then i need to send that email to my Outlook account and then i can use it by forwarding. There has to be a easier way, don't you think? Thx in advance.. >-----Original Message----- >I wondered, in Outlook Express you can...

make all outgoing emails leave through designated Exchange server
I have 2 exchange servers, and they are in different locations. The exchange servers are part of the same domain, and the same, initial, routing group. Internet email can be sent from accounts hosted on the first exchange box, but all internet mail sent from mailboxes hosted on the second exchange box bounce. The error seems to indicated that the ISP that the second exchange box connects to is blocking smtp traffic, or is failing a reverse lookup. email accounts on both exchange boxes use the same domain name. Is there a way to configure the exchange on the second box to route all in...

UI design
Hi, Is there any way to change the UI / Bckground color of MSCRM 4.0. ...

sending publisher designed e-mails for everyone to see
I sent a publisher designed newsletter via e-mail once and the recipient wasn't able to read it because they didn't have a Publisher or they didn't have the proper document viewer. So my concern in designing an e-mail via Publisher 2003 is will the recipient be able to see the design even if they don't have publsher as well? I know how to design one via publisher but I want eveyone to enjoy your software and my labor :-) thanks Coolbreeze <Coolbreeze@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I sent a publisher designed newsletter via e-mail ...

SRS Report Designer .NET requirements
Since the full version of Visual Studio .NET 2003 is not required to install the Report Designer, I'd like to know if there are any drawbacks to using one of the stand alone programs such as MS Visual Basic, Visual C#, Vistual C++, or Visual J# (the programs listed in the What's New guide). Thanks! If anything, use Visual Basic.Net as SRS uses VB.net as it's programming language. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Sarah Montgomery" <SarahMontgomery@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E9EE9287-DBB7-4E68-9228-74E8E30DB506@microsoft.com... Since...

filter graph design
Hello, I want to create an application that makes it very easy for a user to change the order of applied operations. -> �flow chart with black boxes� or "building a filter graph" I will illustrate this problem with a simplified example : some kind of calculator � Suppose we have 2 edit boxes displayed in a CScrollView : 1 at the front (in which we insert the starting value), and 1 at the end (this box will display the resulting value). In between those 2 boxes, the user must be able to insert an arbitrary number of �operation� boxes, and those boxes must be connected so that at...

Money Template Designer? HELP!!!
I recently made a leap of faith, and purchased MS Money Small Business 2004 over QuickBooks SB. Now I have an issue, that mus be resolved, and I am sure, this is simple! I have a portrait style 8x5 invoice sheet, with static text on the top(which can be the coimpany setup info), but i need to add custom fields for both the company, and for clients, and pull those fields into the template. What am I missing? I tried the help, with no luck, browsed the newsgroup, nothing. Basically, I need it to look like the statement printout, but customized. Thank you, to whoever, for your time! ...

Design Checker
Is there anyway to stop the Design Checker from checking a whole article on opening? We have a project that is 86 pages and we don't want the whole article checked everytime we open it up. We do want to check certain pages that are being worked on. Thanks. I use design checker often. I just ignore the pages that are still in progress but I've yet to have a Pub file that large. I don't know of a way to tell it not to check certain pages tho. Sorry. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "DSmith" <Donna@NOTSPAMres-xraynews.com> wrote in message news...

Looking for Exchange architecture designers
Hi all, I am not a recruiter, but a consultant looking for experienced people to work on a large Exchange project (+700 Ad and Exchange servers). The project is located in Europe/Prag (Tchek Republic). If you want any details, please send me a mail at valerie_lutz@removethis.hotmail.com. Thanks in advance. Regards, Val ...

XML Schema Design
Hi, I am trying to design the schema for an XML file. The approach that I am planning to follow is to have 2 XSD files, each containing some relevant information about the elements in the instance document and then planning to automatically generate the XML file from these 2 schema files using the XMLSpy tool. My doubt is - What is the best way to generate the xml file ? Are there any best practices ? Any example would be of great help. Regards, Kanchana Hi, It will not be a dummy XML file, the xml file generated will contain the mandatory elements and it can be refined and used ...

Designate which addresses get e-mail attachment
When creating a single message in Outlook, is there a way to designate which recipients should receive the attachment? For example, I am creating a message to two people and intend to "cc" another three people. Only one of the action recipients (and none of the "cc" recipientss) needs the attachment; and I don't want to burden the other four folks with the attachment. Can I accomplish this with just one e-mail? no. "Richard" <richard.dilorenzo@dau.mil> wrote in message news:012801c3d53a$4e16c380$a101280a@phx.gbl... > When creating a single ...

Access 2003 Query design
I lost my query design grid-it is not showing up. I can only see the selected tables and relationships in the upper part of the design screen - any idea how I can make the grid display? Maximize the window. So the grid has room to be displayed OR Drag the bottom of the window down OR Drag the bottom of the upper part up so there is room for the grid to show. If none of those work, you can switch to SQL view, copy the SQL, create a new query, paste the SQL in SQL View and then switch back to Design (Grid) view. -- John Spencer Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007 Center for Health Program Deve...

your TLS experience??
Your experience using TLS with Exchange 2003 SP2? Our environment: 2 Exchange 2003SP2 front-end servers which facilitate OWA (SSL and *TLS-enabled) 2 back-end Exchange 2003SP2 clusters Our SMTP connector routes all outbound messages via our FE (bridgehead servers) to FrontBridge (spam & queuing service - which claims to support TLS) incoming messages are routed via FrontBridge (as in the MX value) My predecessor installed a certificate on the front-end servers which allegedly supports SSL and *TLS some questions: 1. is an x.509 cert required? 2. what happens to a TLS-enabled...

Designing outlook forms
Trying to create a form with several rows of radio buttons or checkboxes, don't mind which, however, do not know how to make it possible to select a button or box on every line. It must be possible but we can't get it to work have tried the properties value and groupname and grouping and naming the same etc etc. Can anyone help. Checkbox makes it so that if you have three boxes you can select all three whereas the radio button allows you to select one which is what we want, but when you get down to the next row and select one, then the previous row deselects - I hope you get ...

db design to calculate overlap in group membership in time
Hi all, I am a biologist studying the social structure of birds. I am currently brainstorming ideas for constructing a database that will allow me to easily calculate the number of seconds that one bird is in the same group as another bird. Because group membership changes frequently with birds arriving and departing at different times, and often arriving, departing, and re-arriving on the scale of seconds, I will have many thousands of records. I am trying to determine how to best set up this database before entering all the data. I have 2 goals with this database: 1) I need to f...

How do I get design view back?
In Access 2007 I have disabled design view and the navigation bar and everything else the options page allowed. I thought my database was finished. Now I have found one small flaw with my database and would quite like to change it, but i can't even get back to the options menu. Have you tried opening the db while holding shift? That should enable you to get to the navbar and options. Only works if you didn't use the bypass module. -- Maurice Ausum "Shawrie777" wrote: > In Access 2007 I have disabled design view and the navigation bar and > everything else the ...

Question about Call Tracking design of form
Hi, I am working on a call tracking module. I’ve seen Microsoft’s temp and it does not help. I have the following tables: tblCustomer 1 record per customer Key: CustAcctNo Flds: Name Address, etc. tblCall 1 record per customer per call “subject’. May take multiple actual calls to resolve issue. Multiple calls per customer. Key: CallNo Flds: CustAcctNo CallOpenDt CallPurpose CallCloseDt - If field is null, call is open, otherwise it is closed...

Report design in Access
How do I hide/ supress items with negative counts in a report? Anyone?? Thanks for your help. What are 'negative counts'? I have never seen a count return a negative. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "Bingo" wrote: > How do I hide/ supress items with negative counts in a report? > > Anyone?? > > Thanks for your help. ...