2003 to 2007

My understanding is that if I upgrade a 2003 format .mdb to 2007 all security
settings will be gone. Can someone elaborate on just what that means? I
presume no login, no workgroup. How about database password? I am presuming
therefore that security is dealt with through the GUI - e.g. forms would
determine that the info in a table would be read only or the GUI would not
include links to certain features. But let's say that the person just shuts
down the switchboard form and leaps into tables. and gets what they want that
way. I need a little more info. Does it mean that a front-end/back-end would
be required? Are there any options that would give me a way of making the
database secure in the way that previous editions of Access did? Now I know
someone is going to leap in and say that it wasn't "really" secure before,
but if you really followed the process and removed the Admin from the Admins
group and made someone else Admin and used the logins/permission & passwords
plus the database password, and then "secured" it,  I think you really were
pretty well covered. But that's just my opinion... All ideas most welcome.

Hi there,

security in access 2007 can be implemented on several levels:
* encrypt the file with a password
* make an accde file :mainly protects any code and form/report design, but
allows the users to enter the tables
* make a runtime executable using the developers extensions. These can be
downloaded free on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/bb229700.aspx
Beware that using the runtime the user looses a lot of build-in features like
search functions, so the developer has to program these in her/his
application.

success
NG

sweeneysmsm wrote:
>My understanding is that if I upgrade a 2003 format .mdb to 2007 all security
>settings will be gone. Can someone elaborate on just what that means? I
>presume no login, no workgroup. How about database password? I am presuming
>therefore that security is dealt with through the GUI - e.g. forms would
>determine that the info in a table would be read only or the GUI would not
>include links to certain features. But let's say that the person just shuts
>down the switchboard form and leaps into tables. and gets what they want that
>way. I need a little more info. Does it mean that a front-end/back-end would
>be required? Are there any options that would give me a way of making the
>database secure in the way that previous editions of Access did? Now I know
>someone is going to leap in and say that it wasn't "really" secure before,
>but if you really followed the process and removed the Admin from the Admins
>group and made someone else Admin and used the logins/permission & passwords
>plus the database password, and then "secured" it,  I think you really were
>pretty well covered. But that's just my opinion... All ideas most welcome.

NoellaG
5/28/2010 1:52:37 PM
Hi, Noella,

Thanks for your so prompt reply. I guess it seems that Access 2007 security
is "across the board" but does not allow for the wonderful fine-tuning that
previous versions permitted - the ability to modify users' powers according
to their login. For me it was so very helpful to give someone read only power
or to lock them out of different segments.

I am still looking for the answer to what happens if someone has a secured
2003 .mdb with its own .mdw but then upgrades to 2007 format. Exactly what
changes. All passwords, permissions discarded? General open entry?

If I went the way of the accde it sounds as if a new file is created where
the user does not have access to code. Is it like a front-end which is linked
back to the tables in the original database? From my perspective, I am just
wondering how subsequent changes to the design would be achieved without loss
of data.

Any further thoughts?

Mary

"NoellaG via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> security in access 2007 can be implemented on several levels:
> * encrypt the file with a password
> * make an accde file :mainly protects any code and form/report design, but
> allows the users to enter the tables
> * make a runtime executable using the developers extensions. These can be
> downloaded free on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/bb229700.aspx
> Beware that using the runtime the user looses a lot of build-in features like
> search functions, so the developer has to program these in her/his
> application.
>
> success
> NG
>
> sweeneysmsm wrote:
> >My understanding is that if I upgrade a 2003 format .mdb to 2007 all security
> >settings will be gone. Can someone elaborate on just what that means? I
> >presume no login, no workgroup. How about database password? I am presuming
> >therefore that security is dealt with through the GUI - e.g. forms would
> >determine that the info in a table would be read only or the GUI would not
> >include links to certain features. But let's say that the person just shuts
> >down the switchboard form and leaps into tables. and gets what they want that
> >way. I need a little more info. Does it mean that a front-end/back-end would
> >be required? Are there any options that would give me a way of making the
> >database secure in the way that previous editions of Access did? Now I know
> >someone is going to leap in and say that it wasn't "really" secure before,
> >but if you really followed the process and removed the Admin from the Admins
> >group and made someone else Admin and used the logins/permission & passwords
> >plus the database password, and then "secured" it,  I think you really were
> >pretty well covered. But that's just my opinion... All ideas most welcome.

> .

On Fri, 28 May 2010 13:47:01 -0700, sweeneysmsm
<sweeneysmsm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am still looking for the answer to what happens if someone has a secured
>2003 .mdb with its own .mdw but then upgrades to 2007 format. Exactly what
>changes. All passwords, permissions discarded? General open entry?

Nothing happens - security still works, *provided* you use the .mdb format.
It's only when you convert to .accdb or .accde format that security goes away.
It doesn't even look at the .mdw file, there is no logon prompt, and none of
the object security specifications are honored.

You can (at least in 2007 or 2010) still use a secured .mdb or .mde file, with
an associated .mdw, and security will still continue to be honored.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

Mary

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Fri, 28 May 2010 13:47:01 -0700, sweeneysmsm
> <sweeneysmsm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I am still looking for the answer to what happens if someone has a secured
> >2003 .mdb with its own .mdw but then upgrades to 2007 format. Exactly what
> >changes. All passwords, permissions discarded? General open entry?
>
> Nothing happens - security still works, *provided* you use the .mdb format.
> It's only when you convert to .accdb or .accde format that security goes away.
> It doesn't even look at the .mdw file, there is no logon prompt, and none of
> the object security specifications are honored.
>
> You can (at least in 2007 or 2010) still use a secured .mdb or .mde file, with
> an associated .mdw, and security will still continue to be honored.
> --
>
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]
> .

Outlook 2003 build 11.5608.5606
I installed Outlook about a week ago and everything was going well until yesterday when Outlook became very unstable. It is to the point were I can't right click on anything or switch to different folders without it crashing and asking to send an error report to Microsoft (I bet I have about fifty in the last day and a half). I originally had Office 2000 Premium on my system when I upgraded to Office 2003 Professional. Since then, I have uninstalled Office 2003 and 2002 (rebooting after each one), going in the registry and removing all references to Office anything, Uninstalli...

how to active the ribbon Tab automatically when the form opens[Access 2007]
Dear I built a ribbon tab for a form. It works fine and when the form opening, the ribbon will be loaded fine. But it would be focus (or active) automatically. It still focus in the tab where I set now. Please help.!!urgent.!! Another question: is the callbacks for the ribbon always in Modules? I remember in Access 2003, the callbacks function could be in the form class modules. If all the callbacks should be in the Modules, does it mean we need distinguish which form or report is active now? Thank you very much. Jason Jiang Hi Ribbon is the new command bar system in office 2007...

Exchange 2003 Reaches 16GB Limit
My Exchange 2003 standard edition complains of reaching 16GB even though the mailbox store shows a combined size of about 2GB. Priv1.edb is reading 15.8GB. What could be the cause of this. This server is only handling 50 users and is 2 months old. The largest mailbox is about 107MB. First, it's the _combined_ size of priv1.edb and priv1.stm that is limited to 16GB in the Std Edition. You could start by reading MSKB article 828070 which will show you how to _temporarily_ increase the permitted DB size so that you can delete stuff. Gordon "Leonard Okoh" <lokoh@tranterse...

Excel 2003 VB referencing #N/A not working but works in Excel 2007
I have a very simple macro that works in Excel 2007 but hangs up constantly in Excel 2003. Does anyone have a work around? Problem: When referencing cells that have a #N/A value, Excel 2003 craps out even if I use the ISNA application function before it. The following 2 statements will cause Excel 2003 VB to stop regardless of order if the cell that is referenced comes up with #N/A. Series = Cells(RowNumStart + X - 1, SeriesCol).Value If WorksheetFunction.IsNA(Cells(RowNumStart + X - 1, ColNum)) Then Further background.... I am actually wanting to find #...

Can you use the old Lotus "/ commands" in Excel 2003?
In Excel 2000 you could use a demo mode to activate the old Lotus menu commands. Can you do this in Excel 2003? Look at Tools>Option>Transition -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "DAW" <DAW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5590E6E-DFE1-4A9A-8651-387B7F49D112@microsoft.com... > In Excel 2000 you could use a demo mode to activate the old Lotus menu > commands. Can you do this in Excel 2003? > It's gone from xl2003. DAW wrote: > > In Excel 2000 you could use a demo mode to activate the old Lotus menu > commands. Can you do thi...

Printing postcards from publisher 2007
I have given up on duplexing my postcards with mail merge. I made two separate publications and printed the addresses on one side of the cards. Got that to work. Now I'm trying to print the four pages to the one sheet 8 1/2 x 11. It now prints all four copies, minimized into the upper left 1/4 of the paper. How do I get the program to print my postcards full size? Look at my answer in your earlier post. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Judy Gross" <JudyGross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6A6D1429-44B0-47A8-ABEB-0C84C2F749F4@microsoft....

EXCEL 2003 #8
Can I take the contents ("WD4") of a cell (A2)on Sheet1, look for a match of the code ("WD4") on Sheet2 in cells A1-A20, and return the coresponding text in B1-B20 on Sheet2 to cell B2 on Sheet1. On Sheet1: =INDEX(B1:B20,MATCH(A2,Sheet2!A1:A20,0)) -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:582672AF-9360-4525-9F8F-9C236D08A1A7@microsoft.com... > Can I take the contents ("WD4") of a cell (A2)on Sheet1, look for a match > of > the code ("WD4") on Sheet2 i...

File in 2007 form
I was trying the Beta Office 2007 and made the mistake of saving one of you Excel file in the new 2007 form. I really need it back in the 2003 form. Problem: due to a variety of issues, I de-installed the Beta version and went back to 2003 but for got about the one file.. So; are there any utilities that anyone knows of the will convert this file back two 2003 form?? It is a simple Excel file, meaning that there are no clever or fancy formula or macros, just a collection of parts and part numbers gathered over MUCH time surfing various web sites. Any help or advise (beside the obvious....

2007 Outlook & Word as editor
Just upgraded to Office 2007 (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Pt ) Windows XP Some user was having random trouble with a yellow font on received and sent e-mails and after a search in outlook general quest answered, tried various fixes. We are watching now to see if OK. Some answers mentioned the editor, so this leads to my question: what does it mean it uses Word as editor? Just Spelling, auto-correct, spacing? What else does Outlook use Word for? Thanks for your time if you use Office 2007, the point is moot for the most part - there is only one editor available when the...

Signature format changes in replies with Outlook 2007
Hi We are using Outlook 2007 and are finding that our signatures will sometimes change font and spacing in reply messages. Is there a way to fix this? Thanks ...

hlp: 5.5 to 2003 multiple sites
Hello. My company is fairly large, with our site hosting about 5000 and having site links to other company divisions. I'm pretty new and I've mostly used Exchange 2000/2003 but never in an environment this large. The plan is to break the external site connectors, put ADC on, populate external email corp contacts from those sites by corp pushing them as mail contacts into our AD , deploy a 2003 box and start moving people/servers to 2003. The concern is that users have made contacts from the GAL corporation wide, which are tied back to other site 5.5 entries. And the assumpt...

Outlook 2003 Strange Occurrence
I just installed Office 2003 and set up Outlook. Sometimes a strange thing happens. I click "new" for a new email. The window opens, but the area in which you type your email message is "transparent", showing whatever is behind the opened Outlook window and I can't type an email message into the window. I close Outlook, let it be for a while, then open it again, open a "new" email message and it's fine again - the window is opaque and I can type in it again. ...

Access 2003 Security Message On Open
All, I have approximately 15 databases that I am about to migrate to Access 2003 from 2000. I do not want the security message to appear every time one of my users logs on to the database. Registry changes and digital signatures are out of the question. If I put Application.AutomationSecurity = msoAutomationSecurityLow on open of my start up form will this prevent the warning message? Is there something I can put in the windows shortcut to turn this off? I have seen some suggestions were it is mentioned to call a script that calls the database to open in low security mode. Is this nec...

Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2010 crashes when downloading email
I have tried everything to try and figure out why Outlook is crashing. I ran sfc, I reinstalled XP SP3, IE 8, Outlook 2007 and as a last try installed Outlook 2010. I tried new email profiles and I ran a full scan with Microsoft Security Essentials and Malaware but nothing! This thing is driving me crazy! I don't want to do a reinstall of XP as I would rather spend the time on Windows 7 in a few months down the road when I spec out some hardware. Is there anything left to try???? What's logged to the Event Viewer about this? Also see; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/...

Exchange 2003 and High RPC Latency
We have 3 exchange 2003 mailbox servers. Exch1 and Exch2 hold the bulk of our mailboxes (about 3500). These servers are Exchange 2003Std/SP2 with Windows 2003 Enterp/SP2 with 4gb RAM. The logs and databases are on separate SAN LUNs. These servers also have BES agent and Enterprise Vault on them. I mention them because they interface with the mailboxes. We have historically been experiencing continual RPC latency when our users (using Outlook 2007/SP2) try to access mailbox resources like other user calendars. Any ideas where to look? I'm new to Exchg troubleshootin...

Access 2007 and windows 7 12-25-09
Under windows xp and vista. I was using a batch file to compact a database, now under windows 7 it does not work I get an error. EXAMPLE: "c:\Consulting Tracking Program\Consulting Tracking.accdb" /compact Now I get a message box saying that was a problem sending the command to the program. Thanks for the help OD "OD" wrote: > Under windows xp and vista. I was using a batch file to compact a database, > now under windows 7 it does not work I get an error. > > EXAMPLE: > > "c:\Consulting Tracking Program\Consulting Tra...

Outlook 2003 and Exchange #2
Hello All, Everytime I check my mail on my pop3 server I get the following error message, Receiving reported error (0x80042108) outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (pop3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message ... I have exchange server 2003 installed on this machine as well. ...

Any reason CurrentDb.TableDefs(0).Connect returns empty sting in Access 2007?
I use the function below to return the server or database name for various uses. However, now that we've switched to 2007 the line CurrentDb.TableDefs(0).Connect which used to return the connection string is returning an empty string. Any ideas? Thanks, Jeremy Function GetConnectionProperty(ServerOrDatabase As String) As String ' Returns name of connected server if "Server" passed in. ' Retuns name of connected Database if "Database" passed in. Dim sConnectionString As String Dim aConnectionPieces() As String Dim sConnectionPiece As String Dim i As ...

Excel 2007 stalling when WiFi on
This has been getting worse and now it is completely unusable! I can't find anything on the 'net other than an unresolved issue (in MS support discussion) where '07 is waay slower than '03! With the WiFi button turned on, clicking on a cell first gets no reaction, clicking more brings on the blue circle, another click brings on the white cast to the whole screen. 'Escape' does not work. Task Manager can remove the program but the results are the same when reopened. I have updated Vista, Office, BIOS and reloaded the Bluetooth driver to no affect. I ha...

ActiveSync 3.7 doesn't stay up to date with Outlook 2003
I just recently upgraded to Outlook 2003 (from XP) and I've found that my Pocket PC won't stay current with emails while it's connected to my PC in the cradle. I've noticed the problem when I delete emails from my inbox on the PC or I move emails to a folder on the PC. I would expect ActiveSync to fire up and update the Pocket PC but it doesn't seem to recognize that anything has changed. However, if I disconnect the Pocket PC from the cradle and reconnect it seems to recognize the differences and get itself up to date. Has anyone seen this problem? Any ideas o...

Outlook 2003 Crashes @Send/Receive (outex.dll)
Hi, i've got the problem that Outlook 2k3 crashes suddenly during receiving and sending mails from an exchange server. Outlook says that it encountered an error and wants me to send a report to MS. EventViewer shows the entry that the error occurred in outex.dll. this *.dll is responsible for the "Out Of Office" Add-In. i've got every ServicePack installed (1,2,3) i need to keep the old *.pst and archive folder What i've done: - tried the repair function of office - useless - tried reinstalling, seemed to work. installed the service packs -> crashed again (same Lo...

Migrating from Novell 6.5 to 2003
Hi All!! Got a question for you. We have a groupwise 6.5 email environment and we are looking to possibly migrate to exchange 2003. Now, I have been told it can not be done because Groupwise 6 or higher is not supported. What I would like to know is, is it possible, and if not, what is the projected time for their to be a supportable migration.Thank you for your assistance in this matter. Sincerely, Michele ...

money 2003 stock screener
my stock screener settings have disappeared. when i try to download the deluxe stock screener (again) it takes me to 'screener promotion' to download the msn money investment toolbox. it then keeps telling me i need xp sp2 (i am using 98) or that i need ie sp1 (downloaded and installed long ago). it does say 'netscape choice' at the top of this page - i am assuming because i use mozilla, but not as my default browser. i find the features in microsoft money very useful, but it is things like this (microsoft forcing you to do things only with their products) that mak...

How can I convert 2003 Word document into 2003 PowerPoint?
I have a Word document that contains text, text boxes & drawing objects. Is it possible to convert the whole think into PowerPoint slides? I've tried, but all that shows is one slide with a heading and not each page. Thanks for any help! -- mae If your Word file is in Outline form, then when you import it into PP, it's supposed to make slides according to the heading levels (though I've never tried it). On May 18, 4:56=A0pm, mae <m...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a Word document that contains text, text boxes & drawing objects. = =...

Cleanup after migration to Exchange 2003 part 2
Hi I've finished migrating from an Exchange 5.5 org with 4 sites to an Exchange 2003 org that also has the 4 sites as AGs. I have also switched to native mode. Followed the instructions to the letter as specified in the deployment wizard tool and also the deployment guide. Are there any docs on how to collapse the old AGs into one and move all the servers into the one AG, or can this be done. There are also routing groups in all 4 AGs. Thanks RajiA Unfortuantely, you can not move servers between administrative groups - even in native mode. You can however move mailboxes, so you cou...