simple format question

i have the following entered as the format for a text box:
(000) 000-0000" x"000

but am getting a display that looks like this:
    (000) 212-6757 x760

when it should be:
    (212) 675-7760

The field has number data type and the last 3 digits (the phone number
extension) is not always included  (I suspect that i may need to break the
extension out to a seperate field (?)

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
-mark

0
Mark

Mark Kubicki wrote:

>i have the following entered as the format for a text box:
>(000) 000-0000" x"000
>
>but am getting a display that looks like this:
>    (000) 212-6757 x760
>
>when it should be:
>    (212) 675-7760
>
>The field has number data type and the last 3 digits (the phone number
>extension) is not always included  (I suspect that i may need to break the
>extension out to a seperate field (?)

First, numbers with extensions can too big to fit in a Long
number type field, so you need to do something.

Since you will never need to do any kind of arithmetic on a
phone number, it should be a Text type field.  And, yes, the
extension should be in a separate Text field.  If you should
ever want to select/sort/group by area code, then that
should also be in a separate Text field.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

"Marshall Barton" <marshbarton@wowway.com> wrote in message
> Mark Kubicki wrote:
>
>>i have the following entered as the format for a text box:
>>(000) 000-0000" x"000
>>
>>but am getting a display that looks like this:
>>    (000) 212-6757 x760
>>
>>when it should be:
>>    (212) 675-7760
>>
>>The field has number data type and the last 3 digits (the phone number
>>extension) is not always included  (I suspect that i may need to break the
>>extension out to a seperate field (?)
>

> First, numbers with extensions can too big to fit in a Long
> number type field, so you need to do something.
>
> Since you will never need to do any kind of arithmetic on a
> phone number, it should be a Text type field.  And, yes, the
> extension should be in a separate Text field.  If you should
> ever want to select/sort/group by area code, then that
> should also be in a separate Text field.
>
> --
> Marsh
> MVP [MS Access]

0
Mark
3/1/2010 7:45:10 PM
I never use  input masks, however you stated "field has number data type". I
wouldn't store phone numbers in a numeric field. Use a text field.

--
Duane Hookom
Microsoft Access MVP

"Mark Kubicki" wrote:

> i have the following entered as the format for a text box:
> (000) 000-0000" x"000
>
> but am getting a display that looks like this:
>     (000) 212-6757 x760
>
> when it should be:
>     (212) 675-7760
>
> The field has number data type and the last 3 digits (the phone number
> extension) is not always included  (I suspect that i may need to break the
> extension out to a seperate field (?)
>
> any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
> -mark
>

> .

Shortcut to format painter
Is ther a keyboard shortcut to the format painter and if not what is the code line i should use to create my own shortcut plaese Judith : A few links on keyboard shortcuts, et al. Chip Pearson http://www.cpearson.com/excel/ShortCuts.htm David McRitchie http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/shortx2k.htm I've never seen a shortcut for the Format Painter. David McRitchie's site has a link to a macro that provides some functionality. Search the page for 'Painter'. HTH Paul ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------...

sending attachments in rich text format
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_007C_01CA9538.F7528CD0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1"; reply-type=original Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Can anybody tell me how I send an attachment with an e-mail from within Microsoft Office 2007 in rich text format please Wendy ------=_NextPart_000_007C_01CA9538.F7528CD0 Content-Type: image/gif; name="QMARK.GIF" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-ID: <7D394D5C2EB043D9A973E27399E2B9B5@andyPC> R0lGODlhEwAfAPcAAP8ICP8PDv8VFf8dHP8kI/...

Macro Question Again
I'v never had any dealings w/ macro before, so this is all new to me. I have a windows 98 computer that is running office 2000 and there is an excel macro on this pc that was created by someone years ago. I have to get this 98 machine of the network and replace it w/ a 2000/XP platform also running either office 2000/xp. So far i'v copied the macro and am able to run it, but its not gathering the correct info. It is collecting the correct info on the 98 machine, just not the one im replacing it w/. It looks like some of the fields are supposed to be populated w/ info in a text d...

Licensing Question with Professional Suite
Hey, I've seen some licensing questions out there, but wanted to be clear. Microsoft Reps are giving me different information, but admit they do not know!? I think there needs to be a little more training with the CRM licensing. I need the CRM Professional Suite (sales and service). If I have 5 sales people (that don't really need to get into the Service Stuff), and I have 5 Service People (that don't need to do anything with Leads and other stuff), can I purchase 5 Sales Professional Users and 5 Service Professional Users? Or do I still need to purchase the Suite User...

Conditional format that higlights differing data on two worksheets
I have a workbook that contains a worksheet for a single week of any given month and in the sheet I have an individual's time reported for each day of the week. I have a second workbook that contains an individual's time reported by each day for the entire month. I would like to compare the two to determine if there is a mismatch and highlight those cells. The logic goes something like this: (1) I need to match person A in column C of workbook1 to the same name in column C in workbook2. (2) I then need to match the date of the month on workbook 1 & 2 for person A in step #1. (3)...

Questions about Migrating from Outlook Express to Outlook
I'm thinking about migrating from OE 6 to Outlook 2003 and was wondering if I will lose my folder structures, rules, and address book by doing so. I also use Yahoo POPs for importing my Yahoo e-mails into OE. Will I need to reconfigure the Yahoo POPs to work with Outlook after the migration? Thanks in advance for your help! Spudy Not sure about the YahooPOPs thing but using Outlook's File menu > Import & Export command should get most of the data. You can also try exporting from OE. "Spudy" <spudy@spamless.com> wrote in message news:th1hd1ddvnto8he4fsv9mluf...

Question on Returns to Vendor without PO & Receipt number
Our company switched to Great Plains Dynamics from Simply Accounting 3 months ago. We currently need to return some of the inventory items to our vendors. However, when we try to enter a transaction entry in Purchasing/Returns Transaction Entry, in the detail lines we are asked for the PO number or the receipt number. We are not allowed to go further or save without the PO number or receipt number. When we converted from Simply Accounting, all we entered was the beginning balance of the vendors and only the PO's which we expect to receive. The older PO's were not carried over. W...

Attachments convert to text format
When I send a message with an attachment in Outlook XP some receivers claim that all they receive is a text mail. My default mail format is plain text. If I change it to HTML I fear some recivers would not see the content at all. How can I solve it ? Note: I change the format of a particular mail if it contains an attachment, but sometimes I miss to do that. Tork2001 wrote: > When I send a message with an attachment in Outlook XP some receivers claim > that all they receive is a text mail. > My default mail format is plain text. If I change it to HTML I fear some > recivers ...

IF question...
I need a formula which will allow me to accept a number if it falls within a certain range. For instance, I want the cell to recognize the number in the cell if it falls between 1 and 10. Otherwise, I want the cell to return a 0 value. Anybody? =IF(AND(A1>=1,A1<=10),what?,0) On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 19:15:06 -0700, "mailrail" <mailrail@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need a formula which will allow me to accept a number if it falls within a >certain range. For instance, I want the cell to recognize the number in the >cell if it falls between 1 and 10....

Outlook macro question
I have two email accounts in Outlook 2003. I know about the Accounts drop list in new emails. But is it possible to create a few macros so that I end up with two buttons where each runs a macro that starts a new email using a specific account? One button would start a new email using account 1 and the other button would start a new email using account 2. If so, could someone please give me some pointers? Thanks. Outlook doesn't provide any direct way to change the account for an = outgoing message in versions before Outlook 2003. See=20 http://www.outlookcode.com/codedetail.aspx?id=3D88...

Figures locked in text format
I imported data from a web page and used the feature that allows me to post the info to Excel with the destination formatting of the file I am posting it to. However, when I try to manipulate the data, as I have done in the past with other data, it will not let me reformat the text to number- no matter what I do to it. I've tried everything! I want to be able to sum the column, etc. Give us an example of the data you are working with. And what have you tried to "do to it"? Regards, Fred "Marcia" <Marcia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

Excel limited cell formats
I have run into Excel's limit on 4000 cell foremats. I have since split the excel workbook into two separate workbooks. My question is, how can I launch these from a template and have the two workbooks link with each other, My original workbook has 25 separate sheets within the workbook for a total of 3.25mb size. I have a whole slew of macros assigned to different command buttons. Mike Johnson ...

Protect formatting & formula
I need to protect the formatting & formula in each cell to avoid accidental changes during update by different users. However, if I protect them, any new row creation and deletion are disable. Is there any way resolve it? Especially, when create a row, how can all formatting and formula to create automatically for the new row? Thanks, Scott What version of Excel? "Scott" <NoSpam-Scott.Xe@GMail.com> wrote in message news:%23bsg6kCBGHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... >I need to protect the formatting & formula in each cell to avoid accidental >changes d...

Pivot charts formatting
Hi, I want to change the formatting imposed by default in a pivot chart and I want that changed formatting to be retained permanently. For example, for my bar chart, for the different series I have selected colours / patterns but every time I refresh the pivot table / chart; excel falls back to its own colour coding. Any way to get around this? Many thanks in anticipation. Not directly. The only way to simulate this is to record a macro of the formatting changes that you make and then set it up to run whenever the PivotChart calculates. Assuming your pivot chart is on a seperate shee...

Stack overflow question
Occassionally when on Facebookwith MSIE if I have 2 instance of Facebook open (Different pages) I will get an error message of "Stack Overflow at Line: 31". When I click OK the page finishes loading fine. Any suggestions as to what is going on? Running: <<< System Summary >>> > Manufacturer : eMachines Inc. > Mainboard : eMachines WMCP61M > Chipset : nVidia GeForce 6100V > Processor : AMD Athlon Neo MV 26 @ 1600 MHz > Physical Memory : 4096 MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM ) > Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ...

Easy question on Excel...
Hello I have an Excel workbook open which has 5 worksheets. How do I toggle through them manually without using the mouse to click a sheet? I am sure I used to know how but now I forget! Regards Alex Try Ctrl + PageUp Ctrl + PageDown Regard -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Well done. Thanks. >-----Original Message----- >Try > >Ctrl + PageUp > >Ctrl + PageDown > >Regards > > >--- >Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > >. > Ctrl + Page Up or Page Dow -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi I th...

Button Control Event: question
I have a small dialog that prints data it queries from a server to a listbox when a user presses a start button. What I'd like to do is to have the data continually print after the button is pressed until the user presses a stop button. So, I guess I would need to initiate some kind of continuous loop for the data querying/printing, but I'm unsure how to get the stop button to break the loop. If this even the best solution. Does anyone have any ideas of how I could accomplish this, or perhaps a better design idea? Thanks, Marcus Marcus wrote: > I have a small dialog that prints d...

can cells apply conditional formatting using the internal clock?
I am using excell to keep track of my production schedule and I wanted to know if there was a way to tie the cells in a worksheet to the internal date and time in the computer,so that the cells will update automatically. Example: Row A10 would be my production start date, Row A1 would be my projected finish date, I would like the cells in between to go from green to red as I near the finish date without manually inputting the date in each cell. Can you help me? Thyanks Set the normal format as desired (I selected a Pattern of Green). Select A1:A10, then select Format | Conditional Fo...

Excel template and access questions
We are going to use the Excel purhase order templates. We need to save each order in order to refer back to it. Is there a way to do this without saving each individual file (order)? Can we save in some sort of easy to locate "batch"? Also, is there a way to transfer a template that we have done (and all the data realted to it) into a Acess database withouthaveing to so much tweaking? If you have Access, I would suggest creating your purchase order database in Access and then having a mail merge push this information into an Excel template as needed, rather than going the othe...

Simple question about text within a cell
I can't seem to find the option that prevents text from covering the adjacent cell. For example if I type the folling in cell A1: All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth. Obviously that will overflow over the cell B1 (if there is no data in B1). I don't want to resize my column, I only want the cell to show as much text in A1 as possible without covering cell B1. I believe I've seen the option to do what I'm looking for but I can't seem to find it and I can't figure out how to look it up in the HELP file. Thanks in advance. Rick My simple solution ha...

XSLT, XPath, and XSL Formatting Objects (XSLFO)
does dot net support apis for XSLFO in addition to XSLT? Thanks In data Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:47:40 -0500, David Laub ha scritto: > does dot net support apis for XSLFO in addition to XSLT? AFAIK no, you have to use nfop: http://nfop.sourceforge.net/ -- Lawrence "In IE we trust" Lawrence Oluyede wrote: >>does dot net support apis for XSLFO in addition to XSLT? > > > AFAIK no, you have to use nfop: > http://nfop.sourceforge.net/ You can, but you don't have to. There are plenty of production quality XSL-FO formatters supporting .NET. Most of them ar...

Windows Pro C.O.A. Question
I have a Dell Latitude D510 with Windows XP Pro SP2 installed. It's used and the machine didn't come with a restore disk, and there is no restore partition. But the COA sticker is attached to the bottom of the machine. I have an OEM copy of Windows XP Pro with SP2. If I have to reinstall the operating system, can I use the OEM version and use the laptop's COA to activate Windows? I realize that I may have to hunt down drivers such as WiFi and sound if they aren't included with my OEM copy. Thanks Don wrote: > I have a Dell Latitude D510 with Windows X...

Some stupid questions about edit the aspx file
Hi, I'm quite newbie about asp.net & other web application. I've heared that we can put some code in the CRM aspx file. For example, we can make OnChange event to the textbox in CRM & put some code in it. I know it is unsupported by microsoft, but I need to know how to do it. I've been searching this newsgroup & microsoft.public.crm, but I couldn't found any sample. My question is pretty simple (or stupid, I guess): I've looked in inetpub\wwwroot\SFA\quotes\edit.aspx, but I don't know what to do. My friend telling me that the code behind, is under som...

Address Book renaming contacts. (2 questions)
For WHATEVER reason Outlook 2002 - XP is renaming my contacts in my address book.. so when I try and use autocomplete it doesn't work. (Type in "Sha" to get the choice between Shadow and Sha'mer and it just gives me Sha'mer) So - gritting my teeth - I go in and change the name of the contact BACK to Shadow and it STILL doesn't register in the autocomplete. 1) How the (ahem) do I get Outlook to stop renaming my contacts? 2) How do I get it to recognize names in the autocomplete? I now have about 7 that it doesn't, and it's a royal pain. Thanks for your tim...

RMS User Question/Problem
Hello, I Downloaded and installed Microsoft Dynamics RMS, but when I first run it (for the first time) it asks me user ID and password, but have not yet established one, and is the first time I run the program! (Or is it comes with some standard user / default?) User ID: 1 Password: password Robert Armstrong RMS Systems Inc. "F.Misle" <F.Misle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B29A28E5-315C-4A1A-9490-A497651736A0@microsoft.com... > Hello, > I Downloaded and installed Microsoft Dynamics RMS, but when I first run it > (for the first...