Report Free Form Text Box- need help by noon!

Hi,
Can anyone tell me how to add a text box to the report header/footer that
would prompt the person running the report to enter their name or the ending
date of the report, etc. I'm on a deadline for today at noon and am starting
to get worried.
I posted the below yesterday the only option of specifing the data is
numbers and I don't always need to use a date.  I searched google and only
came up with defining types in queries.   This is not from a query, it is for
a free form field in the report header or footer.
This question gets asked a lot. You need to specify the data types of the
parameters. If you can't figure this out, GOOGLE is your friend (or come back
here).
--
Duane Hookom
Microsoft Access MVP

"awalker" <awalker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Can anyone tell me how to add a text box to the report header/footer that
> would prompt the person running the report to enter their name or the
> ending
> date of the report, etc. I'm on a deadline for today at noon and am
> starting
> to get worried.
> I posted the below yesterday the only option of specifing the data is
> numbers and I don't always need to use a date.  I searched google and only
> came up with defining types in queries.   This is not from a query, it is
> for
> a free form field in the report header or footer.
> This question gets asked a lot. You need to specify the data types of the
> parameters. If you can't figure this out, GOOGLE is your friend (or come
> back
> here).
> --
> Duane Hookom
> Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "awalker" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I have a report that pulls from a cross tab that comes from a make table
>> querey.  In the report I need the ability to have a text box where the
>> agent
>> can enter certain data when promoted.  For example =[Enter End Date]  or
>> =[Enter Reporter Name] However, when I enter this into a text box I am
>> recieving a error that states that it is not reconginzed as a valid field
>> name or expression.  How do I get around this?

This is a quick-and-dirty solution, and probably not how I'd do it in a
production app, but you did say you were in a hurry. You can set the
ControlSource property of the text box to an expression that uses the
InputBox function to prompt the user for the text. Something like ....

=InputBox("What do you want in the header?")

--
Brendan Reynolds

0
Brendan
3/7/2008 3:29:21 PM
There's something that doesn't make sense here.
I can't find your previous posts so sorry if this doesn't help.

Put a text box into the place where you require it. Click on Text Box on the
Tool Box toolbar. *Don't just use an existing Control that might be linked
to a field*. Give your text box a name that ISN'T the name of one of the
fields in your report.

In the text box type your question after an = and between box brackets

=[What is your name]

When the user fills this in, his name will appear in the report.

If you don't want the report to open unless the user fills in his name, then
you will put code into the Report's OnOpen event

It will say

If IsNull([YourTextBoxName]) Then
'substitute the real name of your text box
DoCmd.Close
End If

Note that all this does is put a name into a box, it doesn't filter the
report, but you didn't ask for that.

Evi
"awalker" <awalker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Can anyone tell me how to add a text box to the report header/footer that
> would prompt the person running the report to enter their name or the
ending
> date of the report, etc. I'm on a deadline for today at noon and am
starting
> to get worried.
> I posted the below yesterday the only option of specifing the data is
> numbers and I don't always need to use a date.  I searched google and only
> came up with defining types in queries.   This is not from a query, it is
for
> a free form field in the report header or footer.
> This question gets asked a lot. You need to specify the data types of the
> parameters. If you can't figure this out, GOOGLE is your friend (or come
back
> here).
> --
> Duane Hookom
> Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "awalker" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I have a report that pulls from a cross tab that comes from a make table
> > querey.  In the report I need the ability to have a text box where the
agent
> > can enter certain data when promoted.  For example =[Enter End Date]  or
> > =[Enter Reporter Name] However, when I enter this into a text box I am
> > recieving a error that states that it is not reconginzed as a valid
field
> > name or expression.  How do I get around this?

0
Evi

Text Values
Hello, Can anybody help, I'm after making a spreadsheet in Excel to record times for individuals, for example if I typed in 'early shift' with the value of 10 hours, after 'noon shift' 8 hours as well as 'late' shift at 12 hours...etc, the total values would all show in a totals cell for that person. I would appreciate any help with the above. Love, Susan ***** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training & Add-ins. Free Excel Forum http://www.ozgrid.com/forum ***** Hi Susan one way: use a helper column which transforms this text string int...

Need Help, Task Start Date is wrong

Looking for Excel Help

New to excel

Reporting from Project Server

Please help #8

I need a macro

Help with importing data

form fields not saving to table

Are there free upgrades to Outlook 2000?

Calculations adding Text formats
I am new at this so please bear with me. I am using Excel XP. In my column I have a list of numbers. Some are formatted as text and some are formatted at numeric. When I insert by formula it seems to be calculating the entire column, even the text formatted cells. What am I doing wrong. Example Cell A1 = 5 - numeric Cell A2 = 5 - text format Cell A3 = 5 - text format Cell A4 = 5 - numeric format formula states =sum(a1:a4) the total should be 10 not 20. Correct? You're not doing anything wrong, per se. Changing formats cannot change numbers into text values or text values into...

Formating text in cells
Hello, does anyone know how to force Excel to keep the hyphen or dash character (-) with the associated numbers when putting multiple dash-#s in a cell and turning "wrap" formating on? This is the same problem I have in Word; when I add dash-#s (ie; -xxx, -yyy, -zzz) Office apps interpret dashes ( - ) as a hypehen to a word and will keep the dash/hyphen on the line above until there are enough characters to force the dash/hyphen to the next line. In my work we use the format; -xxx, -yyy, -zzz to denote multiple versions of the same base part. Work instructions to operators...

form base authentication #2
This is killing me. I'm implementing form base authentication. I have SSL and everything working but for one problem when use won't to get to owa they type mail.domain.com which then defaults to http://mail.domain.com. the problem I'm having is that FBA need it to default to https not http. How can I get it to default to HTTPS with out telling the uses to type https? I am implementing this on a FE/BE environment wayne .. What I do is change the http port on the main site to something like 8080, and then create a new site that listens on 80. For that site, instead of...

Find Text in a Query
Does anyone know of a way to search thru AC2003 queries to find a text string? For example, I need to find all queries that contain the text "Forms". Thanks for your help! On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 14:10:01 -0800, PeterM <PeterM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Does anyone know of a way to search thru AC2003 queries to find a text >string? For example, I need to find all queries that contain the text >"Forms". > >Thanks for your help! There might be a way to use the systems tables, but I wasn't able to figure it out. Try: Pu...

Query by Form-TJ
I need to do a Query by Form based on multiple selections from combo boxes on a form using Access 2000 I need to bring back the appropriate records in a subform. On Mon, 31 May 2010 07:08:01 -0700, ambushsinger <ambushsinger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Query by Form can't do that. It can only select records in the current form view. After that, you can potentially open a new form with that subset of records in a subform. -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >I need to do a Query by Form based on multiple selections from combo boxes on >a form using Access 200...

Form Dropdown Combo Box
My dropdown combo box currently displays one column. What I would lik to do is have the box dispay column A and B but only extract the I from B. How would I be able to do this -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I'm not sure if I understand the problem correctly, but have you trie using a CONCATENATE function to join the values in Columns A & B? Say you have first names in Column A and surnames in Column B. Us something like =CONCATENATE(A1," ",B1) in Column C for the dropdow list. You could also use =A1&" "&B1. The apostrophe marks are just...

Please Help with Multiple Field Primary Keys
I have two tables in a database that have to use four fields for a unique identifier and primary key. How do I set up a query to set a relationship between those four fields together as one? When I add the tables to the query I see the fields, but I am not having any success properly setting the relationships. The upper half of the query design window is where the 2 tables appear. Drag Field1 from Table1, and drop it into Field1 from Table2. Access displays a join line from one table to the other. Drag Field2 from Table1, and drop it into Field2 from Table2. Repeat for the other 3 f...