Populate Chart/Graph Using Report Fields

Group: I have a graph that was created from a query which pulls from
linked tables with ODBC. When I create a report, everything populates
correctly in about 10 seconds, but when I try to create a graph using
the same query, Access runs basically forever (over an hour) until I
hit <Ctrl><Break>. The issue seems to be with Microsoft's graph object
and ODBC, so my thinking is if I can create a graph utilizing the text
boxes in a report, then there won't be a link between the graph and
ODBC, only the graph and the report fields. Then I could make the text
boxes invisible.

My question is, is it possible to create a graph in Access that pulls
it's information from an Access Report's fields, rather than a query
or table?

0
Adam

There are a couple graphs in the sample at
http://www.access.hookom.net/Samples.htm that doen't use a chart control.
--
Duane Hookom
Microsoft Access MVP

"Adam" wrote:

> Group: I have a graph that was created from a query which pulls from
> linked tables with ODBC. When I create a report, everything populates
> correctly in about 10 seconds, but when I try to create a graph using
> the same query, Access runs basically forever (over an hour) until I
> hit <Ctrl><Break>. The issue seems to be with Microsoft's graph object
> and ODBC, so my thinking is if I can create a graph utilizing the text
> boxes in a report, then there won't be a link between the graph and
> ODBC, only the graph and the report fields. Then I could make the text
> boxes invisible.
>
> My question is, is it possible to create a graph in Access that pulls
> it's information from an Access Report's fields, rather than a query
> or table?

error report windows mail
I get this report below when I close windows live mail email account Windows live mail has encountered a problem and needs to close How can I stop this message from appearing when I close mail account Not a big problem just annoying, any ideas to sort this out? ERROR CODE Oxc0000005 File type 00000001 fdebug:o offset.0002175F This might be some help -- Message posted via WindowsKB.com http://www.windowskb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/windows-vista-mail/201008/1 Windows Mail or Windows Live Mail? You mentioned both. If the latter: The newsgroup to which you posted is dedicat...

Desparately need help. 2 of 12 charts on 1 page can't be saved as webpages?
Posted to Programming & Charting Windows 2000 with Excel 2002 I have created an excel spreadsheet that has a sheet containg 12 charts. I recorded a macro as I saved them to my web location, then ran thought it manually. I discovered 2 of the 12 charts would fail (see actual recorded macro below). Why? Each chart was originally copied from the same chart and just had its source data changed. I tried changing the order, and re-writing the code from other parts that worked -- but the same two charts always failed. Again why, they are identical except for the chart numbers. Test macro exact...

Batch Print a Report
Is it possible in MS-Access or via a utility to "batch print" a report. By this I mean,run the report and send it to a pdf file in the background - freeing up the user to do other things? ...

Could use some help after crash
My computer crashed (turned out to be my mother board) and I have numerous back ups (.mny) (from cd and floppy) that I've tried to install on my new computer and every one of them want's a password. One of my files did have a password and I know FOR SURE i'm entering the right one and its still not working. I've tried installing to Money 2000 (the original one i had) and 2006 which the new computer has. Neither seems to work at all. I need this info for taxes and don't EVEN want to try to re-create it can anyone help with this? Thanks in advance for ANY help. Cheryl ...

Pie chart-remove series w/out changing percent in pie
Is it possible to remove a series from a pie chart without the percentages of each pie section changing? I tried to hide rows in the spreadsheet that have <5 value. But I want the % in the data labels to stay the same. If I hide rows, the labels change so that the whole pie still adds up tp 100%. Thank you! Denise A pie is supposed to add up to 100%, isn't it? That's what pie charts are (incorrectly) assumed to be good at showing, portions of a whole. Actually, pies "plot" the fractions accurately, but for a number of cognitive reasons, people just can't read th...

Using scanner in office97 applications
I have a HP 4370 ScanJet scanner attached to my PC by USB2.0 and it works OK. However, there is no scanner option under "Insert" --> "Picture" for my Office97 applications, e.g. Word97, Excel97. Apparently I need some sort of Office97 add-on. What and where is it on the Office97 CD? How do I add the scan option? Have you considered scanning it in first, saving the file, then inserting it? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "PSRumbagh" <PSRumbagh@discussions.m...

Formatting Toolbar is grayed out and can't use
Hello all, I have XP, and Microsoft Office 2003 on my computer. When I write an email I am unable to use the formatting bar... bold, color, etc. The bar is visible but grayed out..... There must be a setting somewhere which is prohibiting its use... can anyone help? Thanks shrink2005 <rabdell@verizon.net> wrote: > I have XP, and Microsoft Office 2003 on my computer. When I write an > email I am unable to use the formatting bar... bold, color, etc. The > bar is visible but grayed out..... There must be a setting somewhere > which is prohibiting its use... can...

Parts Posting - Work Order
Hi I'm facing a problem while trying to post a part for a workorder i receive this message "the QTY sold cannot be greater than the QTY ordered. QTY Backordered" Although i have enough quantity for the Part item and in the correct site. This available quantity was entered as an Opening Balance from Inventory Transactions. Any idea why im getting this message? Rami ...

Publishing Report
I have given target url as: http://localhost/ReportServer While trying to deploy, it is asking for username/password. When I type the above url in IE, I got 404 error! Any help would be appreciated Thank you Regards Raj Raj What if you type http://localhost/reports ? "Raj" <Raj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0D757BCE-8A37-4209-866A-0BD1806825A7@microsoft.com... >I have given target url as: http://localhost/ReportServer > > While trying to deploy, it is asking for username/password. > > When I type the above u...

Using an XLT file which prints unnecessary 2nd page
I am new to WindowsXP and Excel and struggling. When preparing a document from the .xlt file it prints 2 pages. When I do a Print Preview on the .xlt I can see a period on the left margin close to the bottom of the second page which is otherwise blank but when I actually go into the document I can't find it to erase it! On my XP machine it doesn't even show a second page in the print preview but it still prints the page with the period! My Windows ME machine does show the print preview second page but I still can't get to it to erase it. Your help would be greatly appreciate...

Charting data ranges that change
Hello, I assume that there's an easy way to do this, and I just haven't found it yet. I have a table with the headers in row 2, and data beneath. When new data is added to the table, it is inserted in row 3, and the rest of the data is pushed down one row. Unfortunately, when this happens, the chart "splits" the source data range to only include the data that was there prior. Here's an example: Say my data table is in A2:B10, with the headers in row 2. The equation in the "Source Data" field is =SheetName!A2:B10 When new data is added, the data ta...

adjust data axis of the chart
I have customised my spreadsheets to draw charts automatically accordin to data in the first worksheet but I have to add and remove the 31st day in the graph manuall according to the days of the month is there anything I can do for resetting my chart automaticall according to the date y-axis = number of people x-axis = days of the mont ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, The approach I'd first consider would be to create dymamic range name on each she...

Split / Parse last word in a field
I've a table with a field storing Fullname and tries to split that field into FirstName and LastName. To pick out Firstname goes well with this: Left(Fullname,InStr(FullName," ")-1) AS FirstName´┐Ż But how can I pick out the last word (I've decided to go for that as LastName and will adjust the ones witch fails manually) as LastName? I have names like these: Nils Ole Astrup Hansen Svein Henning Aukland Anne Karin Bache Geir Markhusen Lars Christensen Thanks, JohS Try something like IIf(Instr([FullName]," ")=False,Null,Mid([FullName],InstrRev([Fu...

graphs in excel #2
I created a horizontal bar graph, that shows the area of certain plots. My question is, Is there any way to change the bars to another graph, so I could control the thickness of the bar. The bar only shows the min/max elevation of the plots, but I want to put the true thickness of the bar by using more data. I want to add data to get the same length, but change the thickness, or add some kind of color scheme that reflects the added data ...

Change SQL Server Name and Reporting Services Impact?
Folks: Need help ! I want to move my CRM 3.0 SQL Server 2000 Databases from SERVER1 to SERVER2 (no change in SQL version). In our environment the Reporting services is on different server. Will only copying the databases and restoring it on SERVER2 and then changing the server name using Deployment Manager work? Is there anything I need to do apart from restoring databases and copying the msdb crm jobs? Our Envirnonement: ------------------------- SERVER1 (Old Server) --------------------------- SQL Server Databases version 2000 - Organization_Name_MSCRM - Organization_Name_METABASE - ...

chart size limits?
I am plotting an xy chart with 11,800 values on the x axis. The chart handles do not allow for the chart to be increased in width (or height), or moved around on the chart sheet. Is there a limit to the number of points, or is there a control that can be changed? For a 2D chart, the limit is 32000 points per series. To change the size of the chart, either change the paper size and margins in page setup, or move the chart to a worksheet, where you can drag it to a larger size. I'm not sure I understand the problem, though. Do you want to see each of the 12000 categories on the X a...

Reports 05-24-07
Hi all, I want to have report of the products by category. (4 categories) I have 1 report based on a query(for category #1) and in that report there are 3 sub reports for each of the other categories. Each report has its own query. I have Nodata event that pop massage in case of no data. The problem is when the first query return "no data", the report do not open (as it should) but I do have dataon the pther sub report I would like only when there is no data in all queries to have a massage "no data available". I hope I'm clear, TIA, Tom if you're using...

Reports that won't upgrade to version 9
Okay, can someone please explain to me again what our $40,000 per year enhancements pay for? Of the known reports that will not upgrade to version 9, I have to redo 15 graphical reports!!! 15!! We pay so much for upgrades and each year have to re-modify all of our reports. Why won't reports upgrade? Need lots of improvements here Microsoft! Canned reports upgrade - customized reports may not depending on the customization used. Unfortunately it is the price of customizing elaborate reports within the system. We were fortunate, we recently upgraded from 7 to 9 and out of 2...

Profit Margin field in Item Properties...worthless or not?
My accounting folks have just now started to notice that the 3-4 keystone markups they entered (in terms of our individual item costs) are not being reflected in the Profit Margin field for any of our items...is there any way to modify or change the way RMS calculates this? It's pretty funny because it will almost show it correctly if you do the inverse (i.e. a $10 Price and $40 Cost yields 300% margin, albeit a negative one...but a regular $40 price and $10 Cost shows a worthless 75%...what good is this??). Ideally we'd like to be able to enter our cost and the desired markup...

OWA Monitoring/Reporting
Does anyone know of any on monitoring or reporting tools for OWA 2003 which can tell me who's logging on, how often and for how long? My boss wants a weekly breakdown. I know permon can sho real time stats, but it doesn't give user details. We also use MOM 2000 but again, that doesn't really give user specific details. Thanks Any luck with IIS logs? TallPaul wrote: > Does anyone know of any on monitoring or reporting tools for OWA 2003 which > can tell me who's logging on, how often and for how long? My boss wants a > weekly breakdown. > > I know permon...

Report Footer Error on Page 2+ but shows on first page
there is a form created to open this report. the query the report depends on, calls on the value in the combo box. I have included this field in the report header (which works fine), and the footer (which is kind of funky). the footer shows correctly on the first page, but after the first page it shows #error?. Why is this? footer: =[Forms]![Staff Form]![cboStaffName] & "'s Report" returns: Alana's Report page 1 shows as it should, while all pages after show error. Do you have any code or macro that closes the form? -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Acces...

Programming language used in RMS and PoS
Hi, I am new in RMS concept. I have no idea which programming language is used for RMS and Point of Sale (PoS). Can anyone please tell me which language is used for RMS and PoS and the interface used to integrate PoS, RMS-Stores and RMS - HQ? Thanks in advance. ...

Pasting worksheet with embedded charts
I have a worksheet with a dozen or so embedded charts which all get their data from the worksheet. I want to copy the entire sheet, and paste it into a new sheet, including the charts. I can then replace the data and the charts will update. However, when I paste the sheet the charts still link back to the original sheet and I have to go through each one and change its individual source data to point to the new sheet. Is there any way (some sort of paste special?) to paste the whole worksheet, data and charts, and have the charts link to the new sheet automatically, so that I do not have to g...

Using Word & Excel v.X to tabulate race results for community festival
Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Later this month, I will be volunteering for a local sprint racing event at a community festival. Races take place over three days of a long weekend. Friday features one mid-distance race and Saturday and Sunday feature sprint races repeated over the two-day event. (Contestants run in the race for the first day, have their race-time recorded, and then again on the second day, again the time is recorded. The race results are the total of both days' times for each contestant.) Some contestants may drop out of a...

Why can't I search for a file in the open file dialog box? I used to be able to until I upgraded to XP version.
Help! Ever since I upgraded to Office XP (from Office 97), I can't search for a file in the 'open file' dialog box. In other words, in the good old days, if I wanted to open a certain file, all I had to do was go to the folder where I new the file was. And instead of manually searching for the file, I just had to type in a keyword that I knew was in the file name. When I put in that keyword, it would only show the files with this particular keyword in the filename. This made it much easier and faster to find a file. Now, however, this feature appears to be gone and I'm forced ...