Multiple Sub, Sub-Reports - Report Performance

Access2003 running local on Dual core XP Pro SP2.  Medium size Access DB.
Report consists of multiple queries and subQueries, and 4 subReports, one of
which contains 10 more subReports.  I can run the Queries all instantly, but
when running the report, or even the one subReports with 10 subReports, this
takes progressive longer and the status bar message say "Formatting
Report........."  Final report on 467 pages can take 25 minutes just to
preview, and another 30 minutes to print.

Is there anything I can do to improve the formatting process of reports like
this??
Thanks so much for any replies...

I'm running an 1800 page report now using 20 queries and 10 or 12 subforms
and I have been printing for a week. I can get 50 pages at a time. If I try
anymore, it hangs. 50 pages takes about an hour and a half. I'm also using a
new dual core.

"Programmer - wannaB" wrote:

> Access2003 running local on Dual core XP Pro SP2.  Medium size Access DB.
> Report consists of multiple queries and subQueries, and 4 subReports, one of
> which contains 10 more subReports.  I can run the Queries all instantly, but
> when running the report, or even the one subReports with 10 subReports, this
> takes progressive longer and the status bar message say "Formatting
> Report........."  Final report on 467 pages can take 25 minutes just to
> preview, and another 30 minutes to print.
>
> Is there anything I can do to improve the formatting process of reports like
> this??
> Thanks so much for any replies...
I really can't help too much - maybe an MVPer has insight into the
fundamentals of how the report generates....  one thing that stands out is
you say all the queries run instantly; but one would think that some of these
subreports are linked to the main report in the traditional parent/child
one/many...meaning the subreport must rerun with each main report record; so
that query doesn't run once, it runs repeatedly.....

If the subreports happen to be really stand alone and not in a relationship
to the main report records - then you could think about generating them as
separate stand alone reports and stringing together the opening of several
reports.  It can be crude but might work... particularly if the emphasis is
on printing - because you can print one after the other...and no one knows
that they are actually separate reports...

Not particularly helpful....sorry,
--
NTC

Programmer - wannaB <ProgrammerwannaB@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Access2003 running local on Dual core XP Pro SP2.  Medium size Access DB.
>Report consists of multiple queries and subQueries, and 4 subReports, one of
>which contains 10 more subReports.  I can run the Queries all instantly, but
>when running the report, or even the one subReports with 10 subReports, this
>takes progressive longer and the status bar message say "Formatting
>Report........."  Final report on 467 pages can take 25 minutes just to
>preview, and another 30 minutes to print.

Basically put many subreports on reports with many pages Access
handles very poorly in a split FE/BE situation.

>Is there anything I can do to improve the formatting process of reports like
>this??

Dump the subreports.  See the last two paragraphs at Performance in
Microsoft Access is worse after splitting - My personal experience
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/performance.htm

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

MULTIPLE COPIES USING SELECTOBJECT
I need to be able to tell the printer how many copies to print depending on the type of invoice. I am using the following logic DoCmd.SelectObject acReport, rst!ReportName, False DoCmd.PrintOut acPrintAll, , , , 2 However, the database window is not visible when users are running the program. How do I get it so that the db window does not pop up when they go to print? I do not want print preview, it has to be a direct print sent to the printer. Any help appreciated. Kim P -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200709/1 ...

Problem Keeping Tasks Synced w/Multiple Computer
Hello, I am currently managing an exchange server SP2 and I am having trouble keeping multiple computers synced up properly. For example, I have users which regularly use a desktop with outlook 2003 and occasionally use a laptop. When the users turn on the laptop (which hasn't been synced with the server for a few days) all of the tasks which were marked as completed since the last sync reappear as uncompleted on the server and hence on the desktop. Does anyone know of a solution to prevent this? Thanks for the help, Bill ...

Anybody got a decent A/R report?
None of the stock reports are worth the disk space they occupy. The CustomerSource Reports Library offers a few more, but again they're not worth the bandwidth needed to download them. I need a report, preferably for HQ, that shows ALL account activity for any given customer. By all activity, I mean every transaction, payment and adjustment ever associated with a particular account. This seems like such a basic request... If you have a report like this for Store Operations but not for HQ, well that would be much better than what I have now. Am I crazy? Is it so unusual to want...

Print a report from a form based on a query
I have a form that I enter a parameter and run a query which pulls anywhere from 1-???? records. After these records are displayed, I have the option of printing them (as a report) from a print command button which I can't get to work. My form has a header with an Equip code and multiple detail lines. This code is passed to a query which would run and pull my data again as the report has more data in the online form. My problem is that this isn't getting to the report. Am I making this more complicated than it has to be. On Fri, 14 May 2010 12:57:01 -0700, Mommybear ...

From DataFeed to Customized reports
Folks: I am new to the Stock Market and I am getting to the point where I am sure I will eventually have to use some commercial software to help me move from Data Feed to customized reports. I am thinking it would be great if there is commercial software already out there that can simplify the process of moving from data feed to customized on-screen or printed reports. * Do you know of specialized software already available that would simplify the task of creating desired reports from a connected data feed. I know this is NOT the correct newsgroup for this post. Appreciate if som...

Budget Report
In order to get the budget to function the way I want to see things reported, I have organized my categories into budget groups - everything looks just how I want it when I look at the budget in edit mode. However, when I want to print my monthly budget report, I must choose Budget by Category or Budget by Budget Group. The Budget by Budget group is too summarized - is there a way to print the Budget by Budget Group Report and include the categories within each Budget Group (for example, I have a budget group called Monthly Bills - is there a way to print the categories such as tel...

FRx report for a partial period
Our year is the calendar year and period is the calendar month. Due to business reasons, I have been asked to run the balance sheet and income statement from a mid month to the end of the year (May 18 through Dec 31). How can I do this. In the column layout you can specify a date range. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Jack" wrote: > Our year is the calendar year and period is the calendar month. > > Due to business reasons, I have been asked to run the balance sheet and > income statement from a mid month to the end of the year (May 18 through Dec > 31). How can I ...

Error Message on my Report
I have put hours and hours into my application, and all seemed to being going well. Suddenly, one of my reports won't run any more and instead gives me the error message " There isn't enough free memory to update the display. Close any unneeded programs and try again". I get this message even if Access is the only program running and the report is the only thing open. The underlying query is working fine. I have tried removing individual controls and even eliminated all controls from the report but the error message continued. I have tried the compact and repair ...

Vlookup on multiple table array
there is a summary source, i have 6 different sources. i want to lookup from the summary source whether the 6 different sources exist in the summary? may i know how to lookup multiple table arrays? thx. I'd just use 6 different cells and use a formula that points at the 6 different sources. There is no =vlookup() trick to look through multiple lookup tables. Winson wrote: > > there is a summary source, i have 6 different sources. i want to lookup from > the summary source whether the 6 different sources exist in the summary? may > i know how to lookup multiple table array...

RDL Report View Editor
I have to edit some RDL files for reporting from a SQL 2000 Server. Unfortunately, I am not able to use Report Builder 2.0. I can edit the files with RB 2.0, but they will not upload to my SQL 2000 server. That leads me to have to use an older tool for editing. I'm not able to find an editor that will present the RDL file graphically, like RB 2.0. Everything I've tried shows me the 'raw' XML file. Does anyone know of a graphical RDL editor other than RB 2.0? Thanks in advance. Cheers. Bryan I resolved the issue. "wan_link" wrote: >...

Same event, multiple sheets?
What's the best approach to implementing a Chart_Select event on all charts in a workbook? And is there any way I can set it up through a macro? I have a file of tab delimited data that I will use as the basis for generating a collection of 28 charts; I have a macro installed as a toolbar button that adds and formats the charts. Each chart has five series on it, and it would be nice to be able to hide one or more of those series to make the others more readable. The easiest way I've found to do this is by using the Chart_Select event to detect clicks on the legend for each series, and...

How do I Lock a field in a sub-form
I have a customer info input form and link to a subform. However, I would like to lock a particular field in this subform and leave the rest of the fileds in this subform unlock. Anyone can help? Thanks a lot. pat c On 7 Feb, 14:06, pat c <p...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a customer info input form and link to a subform. =A0However, I wou= ld > like to lock a particular field in this subform and leave the rest of the > fileds in this subform unlock. =A0 > Anyone can help? =A0 Thanks a lot. > > pat c locked as in design_mode -> Properties of t...

Access 2007 Saving report in RTF
I'm using Access 2007 and deploying a small app with the runtime. One of the choices for saving a report is to use the RTF format - which makes it viewable in WORD. However, the sole picture in the report - which is saved in a control of the Type ATTACHMENT does not display when the file is opened in WORD. It will however, print when the record is printed. This seems to be odd to me - how do I get the picture to display with the rest of the record in WORD ? I cannot use the bound object control as I get the OLE server not registered, and running the regexe tool will not correct...

Multiple Mailbox Management Schedules
I want to set up one Mailbox Manager policy to move all data more than 2 months old into the System Cleanup folders on Wednesday I then want to Delete all the messages in the System Cleanup folders on Sunday. I know how to set up the policies in Exchange Manager and can get the first part working just fine, but I can't figure out how to schedule the second one to run without running all of them at the same time. Any ideas? On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:07:03 -0700, Chris Leeson <ChrisLeeson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I want to set up one Mailbox Manager policy to move al...

40-col x-fer report
I have a client in search of a 40-col transfer order template. The idea is to have only a POS printer at the warehouse for printing packingslips or transfer orders or PO receivers. HI JT, if you know how to do the customization in POXfr.xml file then you can accomplish what your client want, it is somehow time consuming job to customized this. "JT of TC" wrote: > I have a client in search of a 40-col transfer order template. The idea is > to have only a POS printer at the warehouse for printing packingslips or > transfer orders or PO receivers. > > >...

Performance is unusably slow..
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I am running Excel on the latest MacBook Pro but as soon as I handle somewhat larger tables (i.e. over 100 rows), performance of Excel becomes so incredibly slow that the application is virtually unusable to me. Is there any tweak? Are there others experiencing the same issue? There are two things you need to do: 1) Apply the most recent updates to both OS X and Excel 2) Ensure the computer has more than four gigs of RAM. Now, this is a bug caused by the following: * The Paper size is set to so...

SQL reporting Services 08-09-07
Does anyone know if SQL reporting Services will work off-line with MSCRM? I'd like a user to generate reports when they are off line. Thanks for reading. No out of the box at the moment. The data is store in the SQL Express data store while off-line, it is just mainly the SRS report architecture that needs to support it... Maybe a suggestion for future version to support. Frank Lee, Microsoft CRM MVP http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.com http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm "StingRayYellow" wrote: > Does anyone know if SQL reporting Services will work off-line with MSC...

Search on a form with multiple fields same table
I am having a hard time trying to create a search on two fields on the same table. I have one table that is linked to three other tables. What I want to do is to have the primary table with two fields, i.e. name and id number. Have the user be able to do a search on either one (not both) and bring up the other records that is linked to the primary record. The filtering does not work for more than one field and I know I will need to do some programming but not sure where to begin and how to finally get the end result. Thanks for your help. ...

Multiple Worksheets formula
Excel 2003 on XP I have a file that contains nearly one hundred worksheets. Each Worksheet has been renamed with the city location it relates to. All the worksheets are exactly the same. On a new sheet, I wish to extract from each location sheet information from a number of cells, these will always the the same cells. I have a list of the worksheet names in column A (say), then in the subsequent columns I wish to have the results of the cells. What formula can I right that can be pasted down that picks up the worksheet name in column A and returns the cell data per worksheet? Obviously I ...

multiple email accounts for one user
If I have a user who by default has and email address of user@a.com, can I set the MX record for the domain b.com to point to the same mail server as a.com, and have a user who can get mail from a.com and b.com? Thanks Yes. You'd need to ensure you have a recipient policy configured in Exchange for b.com. The article below covers what you need to know, assuming the 'mail server' you speak of is Exchange. http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF010.html -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "ChrisH"...

Extra cover page when report exported to PDF
I am using SQL Reporting Services for SQL Server 2005. I have a report that uses a page header as a cover page. When the report renders in the browser, the cover page prints once (as expected) and then the data begins on page two. When the report is exported to a PDF, I get two cover pages. The first cover page does not print the report items fields so I can identify it as the "extra" page. The second cover page is identical to the cover page that renders in the browser. Does anyone have any ideas what I can take a look at? figure out why your page is too wide? that's th...

Notifications from multiple accounts
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I have several accounts within Entourage. Is there a way to designate notifications for only the primary account? Currently I receive a notification of a new message every time any one of these accounts has an email. Many of them just catch confirmation emails. It's annoying. ...

Unhide multiple worksheets in workbook
Hi...I have Excel 2003. Is there a way to unhide multiple worksheets in a workbook vs. unhiding one at a time? a looping macro -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "Maureen D." <MaureenD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FFCDB6D9-4AB3-44DF-A269-2561289038FC@microsoft.com... > Hi...I have Excel 2003. Is there a way to unhide multiple worksheets in a > workbook vs. unhiding one at a time? Sub unhide() Dim ws As Worksheet For Each ws In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets If ws.Visible = xlHidden Then ws.V...

Multiple Windows #2
I have just moved desks and am encountering a slight problem with Excel! I need to have multiple spreadsheets open at the same time. To switch between them I'd normally just use Alt+Tab and jump between windows. However, when I open multiple sheets now, I have to use the Window drop-down. Any idea how to change it so that each spreadsheet gets it's own button on the task bar? It makes me sound really idle but I'm literally doing this 100s of times a day! Many thanks, John Williams. -- johnwilliams ------------------------------------------------------------------------ john...