Macro recording the design of a report using report wizard

Can I record the steps/procedures when creating a MS Access report using the
Report Wizard? Reason for this, I have a dynamite query for the report and
the field names in the query is different each time when executed. I acn not
put the statis column name in teh report.

0
Paul

Some of the other Access apps can record macros, but Access does not do
this.

There are times when the field names change - particularly with crosstabs.
But it might be possible to alias the fields in the query, or design it so
that the names don't constantly change. If that is not possible, you may
have to save the report with unbound controls, and write code in the
report's Open event to determine the actual fields and assign the
ControlSource of the text boxes, moving and resizing them as needed and
hiding the unused ones.

Before you go to that trouble, the most common reason we see convoluted
reports is that the person who designed the database did not normalize it
correctly. Breaking down a table with many fields into related tables with
many records might solve all the problems.

If you are not sure what normalization is, you could try the Table Analyzer
in Access. In Access 2007, it's on the Database Tools tab of the ribbon; in
earlier versions it's on the Tools menu.

If you want to read further, see #3 here:
    http://allenbrowne.com/casu-22.html
The PDF for 'Normalizing Data' explains the basic.
Further reading:
    http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html#DatabaseDesign101

"Paul" <paul_mak@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Can I record the steps/procedures when creating a MS Access report using
> the Report Wizard? Reason for this, I have a dynamite query for the report
> and the field names in the query is different each time when executed. I
> acn not put the statis column name in teh report.

0
Allen

Select Records based another table...

Using lookup function
Hi, I am trying to code a spdsht that can be used to monitor diskspace across multiple servers and logical drives per server. The data acquisition is complete and i have no problems automating the collection of the data using a wmi script and feeding it into excel and generated basic time vs diskspace charts. What i want to create is a simple dashboard style chart that will show any logical drive that is below a certain threshold to provide a clear visual warning to the operator. At the moment I have a simple min() function using if() to remove servers whose free space is great than ...

How to reply to an email in a public folder, using a general email address
Hi, I'm working on a support desk which handles incoming enquiries via a public inbox which can be viewed by the whole support team. What I want to be able to do is reply to these messages using a different email address to normal (ie. changing the from address). This is very easy in Outlook Express but I'm not sure how to do this in Outlook 2000. Thanks "Charles" <cwilson@rm.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:099d01c36bbe$041773f0$a601280a@phx.gbl > Hi, > > I'm working on a support desk which handles incoming > enquiries via a public inbox whic...

use Outlook for Hotmail mangement
How do I change my default email to go to Outlook instead of the msn home page for hotmail? Any help will be appreciated. "write-mine" said in news:59ba01c3e55e$db1c5720$a401280a@phx.gbl: > How do I change my default email to go to Outlook instead > of the msn home page for hotmail? Any help will be > appreciated. What default e-mail client is listed under the Programs tab for Internet Options? -- ____________________________________________________________ *** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. *** _____________________________________________________...

Dynamic report field
Hello. I would like to print a particular value in a report field based on another field value in a table. For example, if I have a table field called 'campus' and a report field called 'name', I'd like something like this: if txtCampus = 'north' print 'john doe' in txtName else if txtCampus = 'south' print 'jane doe' in txtName else print 'john smith' in txtName I'm not sure how to accomplish this. I couldn't seem to find anything on my report field properties where I would co...

Windows 7 and Arabic records.
Hi everybody, This issue happens in Windows 7 only, and it's interesting. The GP contains Arabic data (not interface), like Customer Name, Item Desc .... etc but not IDs. When the user switches the keyboard language to English, the Arabic data is shown in a not-readable language, while if the user switches the keyboard language back to Arabic, the data gets back to its normal state; in Arabic. The strange thing is this issue happens only in scrolling windows, but not all of them, the GP Lookup windows and some Smartlist lookup windows suffers from this behavior. Any...

use data on master worksheet for sorting #2
The data is a list of people, the projects they are working on, th completion date, who they work for, their skill set, etc. My manage wants this data sorted several different ways ie by skill set completion date and manager. Several different people will be updating the data and I don't want t rely on them to copy and paste it to the additional worksheets the sort it properly. I saw some VBA code on this site that copies from multiple sheets t one sheet. How would I copy one sheet to multiple sheets then sort th data every time it is changed -- cwjoh ----------------------------...

using a "read receipt" for emails sent through Publisher
I'm using Outlook Express to send my email newsletter. Outlook Express itself has "read receipt" functionality. However, when I attempt to send my message through Publisher, I don't see "read receipt" as an option. Ideas? Michelle "mlemblem" <mlemblem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B015970F-4DDA-4D2B-9C4A-5215E3C84814@microsoft.com... > I'm using Outlook Express to send my email newsletter. Outlook > Express > itself has "read receipt" functionality. However, when I attempt to > se...

ticker symbol already being used
In my continuing learning process I must have added a mutual fund incorrectly. Let's say the ticker is RYTRX and I didn't know the actual name of the fund and called it rytrx instead of its actual and full name. Now that I want to edit, Money refuses, stating that RYTRX is assigned to rytrx. I cannot insert the correct ticker for the correctly names fund and want to learn how to correct my mistake by finding where RYTRX and rytrx are paired, and fix the problem. Help. Thanks. In microsoft.public.money, thomasjsmith wrote: >In my continuing learning process I must have...

loop using <xsl:for-each> and external javascript function
Hi, I have an xsl as below. I am trying to loop using <xsl:for-each> and in the select attribute of <xsl:for-each> i am getting the nodeset from the external javascript function in the <CDATA> section. This code works fine with MSXML4.0 parser. When I try to use .Net, it gives me error saying " The expression passed to this method should result in a NodeSet." <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999...

Macros within formulas
Hey all, Please let me know if it is possible to insert Macros in a formula. That is "if this condition is true, then run macro1 else macro 2". If the above is not possible, let me know a procedure for this. 1> I need to create a macro which i) Segregates all the users by their name. ii) Calculate the time taken for their work. iii) Create a report for the time frame taken for the task. Now the problem is 1) when filtered, and sorted, i) The time when subratcted from the previous task to present task works. But when the first user data is finished, the time shows neg...

Unmatched query wizard??
I have succesfully made a Unmatched query using the wiz. I changed the query to a delete query, but when I run it, it asks me which table do i want to delete the records from. I keep screaming at it 'what do you mean which table isn't it obvious', but that doesn't work. Can anyone tell me how to overcome this please. Regards Geeves1293 Use a subquery to select the unmatched records This example deletes records in tblInvoice that have no matching records in tblInvoiceDetail: DELETE FROM tblInvoice WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT InvoiceID FROM tblInvoiceDetail ...

Report Writer Function for Count
For a given item, I have multiple lot numbers, each may contain different quantity. I don't want to print the lot numbers on the packing slip but just the count of the different quantities. For instance, if I've an item qty fulfilled of 5000, with 4 lot numbers of 500, and 3 lot numbers of 1000, I want to just print total count for each quantity group. It could look something like this: 4 of 500 3 of 1000 Is there a report writer function that can address this? You will have to add an additional section to the report for the Serial/Lot Number as this is what curre...

Macro in excel #2
I am using Record a macro option in Excel. I had successfully recorded a macro in which the reports that I wanted from various sheets like sheet1,sheet2,.... are copied in one single sheet. I want that single sheet which contain all the reports that I needed to be in a new excel without other sheets and the macros that I have created. The option i have tried while recording a macro is that, I just right-click on the sheet tab and then create a copy and then move to a new workbook. But it doesn't work. Please let me know how I can extract that particular sheet out of the excel with ...

Problems with Error 3021
Using VB6 - SP5 MS Access (MDB) data file. I'm having problems with Error 3021 "No Current Record" error. I have reviewed the code - every .Update statement is preceded by either a ..AddNew or a .Edit. In an attempt to find where this is occurring, I have every instance of data file access (seek/read - edit - addnew - update) surrounded with a "On Error GoTo" structure which will log the error to an event log that is already part of the program. But the program has crashed several times (with Error 3021) since that trapping was added. I just read KB10649...

couting occurence using multiple dates in single cell
Hi, I need to count the no. of meeting that took place in each month. My worksheet is January Feb to Dec column A column B Column C to Column M Column C (data) 1 name no of meeting No of meeting 2 Jack 1/1/09, 1/3/09, 2/1/09, 2/5/09, 3/1/09.4/1/09 3 Peter 2/1/09, 3/1/09,3/15/09 4 Paul 3/1/09, 4/1/09, 4/2/09 is there a way to count the ...

Using macro for page break
How can we use a macro to insert page breaks every 25th line? Please help. -- Sara Sara, If your row height is consistent, you may be able to get the same result by raising the bottom margin. File - Print Preview. Turn on the Margins button. Drag the bottom margin (the upper one at the bottom -- the other is for the footer) up until it prints only 25 rows. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Sara" <Sara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ADF97304-65AE-47A7-A587-4EA7E78B1685@microso...

How do use outlook express to send email in office 2003
I upgraded my ofice xp to office 2003 and i've been using outlook express 6 for my emails.After installing office 2003 I can not send email from any office application,I can launch and put in the email address but the send button does not appear anywhere.Please help Hi Look at number 2 and post back with the result please http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/problems.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "How do use outlook express to send email" <How do use outlook express to send email@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7B9F5AD1-07F3-4297-B...

Use Extender to add fields to G\L Transaction Line
I am migrating an in-house developed G\L system to Dynamics GP (GP). Our G\L system has a description of 39 characters and an extended description of 50 characters. The G\L line description within GP line items is 31 characters. Our users are very attached to the descriptive data and want me to migrate the data into GP. Below are several questions and assumptions about using Extender: 1. Can I use Extender to add a Description1 field of 39 characters and an ExtendedDescription field of 50 characters to the G\L Transaction Line table GL10001? 2. If I can add fields to GL10001, I then ...

Help with code for Macro!
Hello, I'm trying to create a Macro that does the following: 1. Copies the values of 12 cells from Sheet1 to Sheet2. 2. Perform an import of data from a database that will over-write the values in the 12 copied cells. 3. Paste the copied values back to their original cells on Sheet1 in 11 columns. The only column that cannot be copied back is the column for the current month. I've got #1-#2 completed, but am having problems with #3 because of one catch. The "monthly" periods run from the 21st of the previous month to the 20th of the current month. So for example, whe...

Where can I find the Text Import Wizard?
Hi, I have some files I want to open in Excel (2000). The files contai text and numbers, separated by delimiter "|". If I open them in Excel I don't get the Text Import Wizard and I can't define the delimiter All the information is pasted in column A. The only way I can get the information separated in the right way, i by using Data -> Get External Data -> Import Text File. That way, th Text Import Wizard is launched and I can choose Delimited/Fixed Widt and the delimiter. Does anyone know how I can get the Text Import Wizard to launch when open the file with File ...

Using Record Count in an equation
I have a "yes/no" field called Sold. I need to track and report what percent of total solicitations sold. I thought I could use the built in sum feature which provides a record "Count(*)" for each record in a group. However, I dont know how to set up the equation as the control is called the same for each grouping. How do I either use that control or set up a calculated field to count total records and count the number of records with Sold="yes". In the Report Footer section, place a text box with this in its Control Source: = - Sum([Sold]) Th...

Reading XML file and stripping and then updating the values into the sqldatabase using Stored Procedures
Thanks in Advance I have a XML file which is read from a .aspx page. I need to read through all the elements, find the values of them and pass them on to the stored procedure which updates the sql database. Here the xml file which has to be read. <transactions> <smssent time="10:30" subsid="12" dest="07951998960" id="321">SMScontents</smssent> <msgtranscribed time="" subsid="12" success="True" length="10" timetaken="20" bureau="bureau10" agent="agentid"><...

Macro to remove text
Could one of the resident macro experts kindly help me to do this please. There is text in column D of a worksheet. I want to remove anything that is in brackets, including the brackets. So this: A B C D -- -- --------------- ------------------------------------------- 1 P Andrews Sisters Boogie Woogie (1941 version) 2 Q Artie Shaw (1941) Concerto For Clarinet (Parts 1 & 2) 3 R Artie Shaw Dancing In The Dark 4 S Artie Shaw Frenesi becomes this: 1 P Andrews Sisters Boogie Woogie 2 Q Artie Shaw Concerto For Clarinet 3 R Artie Shaw ...

How do you get the attribute value using XPath in VB.Net 2003?
Hi, How do you get the attribute value using XPath in VB.Net 2003? Many thanks, aushknotes "aushknotes" <aushknotes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:508426F2-1C8A-4AD2-A52E-B80B9798AC0C@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > How do you get the attribute value using XPath in VB.Net 2003? > Prefix @ to the name of the attribute value. XmlAttribute attrib = (XmlAttribute)dom.selectSingleNode("/path/@attributeName"); -- Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET aushknotes wrote: > How do you get the attribute value using XPath in VB.Net 2003? ...