hiding control textbox when no data

Hi,

I am wondering if there is a way to hide the whole textbox control and does
not leave big space when it has no data/value in the Access report.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Define "big space". Do you mean horizontally or vertically?
Have you set the text box Can Shrink property to Yes?

--
Duane Hookom
MS Access MVP

"Associates" <Associates@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering if there is a way to hide the whole textbox control and
> does
> not leave big space when it has no data/value in the Access report.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you in advance

0
Duane
5/19/2010 3:22:38 AM
Thank Duane for your reply.

By "big space", I mean horizontally big space like the example below

textbox control 1
textbox control 2
textbox control 3

if there is no data/value for textbox control 2, it shows like the following
in the report

electronic

aerospace

There is a blank line in between electronic and aerospace in the report as
result of textbox control 2 contains no data.

What I hope to see is as follows

electronic
aerospace

the vacant line is replaced by the data in textbox control 3.

I wonder if this is feasible in Access report.

Thank you in advance

"Duane Hookom" wrote:

> Define "big space". Do you mean horizontally or vertically?
> Have you set the text box Can Shrink property to Yes?
>
> --
> Duane Hookom
> MS Access MVP
>

> "Associates" <Associates@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am wondering if there is a way to hide the whole textbox control and
> > does
> > not leave big space when it has no data/value in the Access report.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you in advance

What you are describing is vertical not horizontal.

I asked a question in my previous post that you did not answer.

--
Duane Hookom
Microsoft Access MVP

"Associates" wrote:

> Thank Duane for your reply.
>
> By "big space", I mean horizontally big space like the example below
>
> textbox control 1
> textbox control 2
> textbox control 3
>
> if there is no data/value for textbox control 2, it shows like the following
> in the report
>
> electronic
>
> aerospace
>
> There is a blank line in between electronic and aerospace in the report as
> result of textbox control 2 contains no data.
>
> What I hope to see is as follows
>
> electronic
> aerospace
>
> the vacant line is replaced by the data in textbox control 3.
>
> I wonder if this is feasible in Access report.
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> "Duane Hookom" wrote:
>
> > Define "big space". Do you mean horizontally or vertically?
> > Have you set the text box Can Shrink property to Yes?
> >
> > --
> > Duane Hookom
> > MS Access MVP
> >

> > "Associates" <Associates@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am wondering if there is a way to hide the whole textbox control and
> > > does
> > > not leave big space when it has no data/value in the Access report.
> > >
> > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance

Thank you Duane for your reply.

Sorry that I misunderstood your question regarding horizontal or vertical.
Thanks for clarifying that.

The other question I did not realise that I had not answered it. Sorry about
that.

I did try to use the "can shrink" property and set it to Yes and it still
leaves that gap (blank lines) in the report.

However, what i have done now is i have downsized the textbox control to
some extent that you can only see a tiny box. It works allright but not that
perfect. I think I can live with that.

If you have any other ideas you think that may work for me, I am more than
happy to appreciate it.

Thank you once again for your help

"Duane Hookom" wrote:

> What you are describing is vertical not horizontal.
>
> I asked a question in my previous post that you did not answer.
>
> --
> Duane Hookom
> Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Associates" wrote:
>
> > Thank Duane for your reply.
> >
> > By "big space", I mean horizontally big space like the example below
> >
> > textbox control 1
> > textbox control 2
> > textbox control 3
> >
> > if there is no data/value for textbox control 2, it shows like the following
> > in the report
> >
> > electronic
> >
> > aerospace
> >
> > There is a blank line in between electronic and aerospace in the report as
> > result of textbox control 2 contains no data.
> >
> > What I hope to see is as follows
> >
> > electronic
> > aerospace
> >
> > the vacant line is replaced by the data in textbox control 3.
> >
> > I wonder if this is feasible in Access report.
> >
> > Thank you in advance
> >
> > "Duane Hookom" wrote:
> >
> > > Define "big space". Do you mean horizontally or vertically?
> > > Have you set the text box Can Shrink property to Yes?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Duane Hookom
> > > MS Access MVP
> > >

> > > "Associates" <Associates@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Typically if the text box can shrink and the section can shrink and there
are no controls to the left or right of the text box, the gap will shrink.

--

> Thank you Duane for your reply.
>
> Sorry that I misunderstood your question regarding horizontal or vertical.
> Thanks for clarifying that.
>
> The other question I did not realise that I had not answered it. Sorry
> about
> that.
>
> I did try to use the "can shrink" property and set it to Yes and it still
> leaves that gap (blank lines) in the report.
>
> However, what i have done now is i have downsized the textbox control to
> some extent that you can only see a tiny box. It works allright but not
> that
> perfect. I think I can live with that.
>
> If you have any other ideas you think that may work for me, I am more than
> happy to appreciate it.
>
> Thank you once again for your help
>

> "Duane Hookom" wrote:
>
>> What you are describing is vertical not horizontal.
>>
>> I asked a question in my previous post that you did not answer.
>>
>> --
>> Duane Hookom
>> Microsoft Access MVP
>>

>> "Associates" wrote:
>>
>> > Thank Duane for your reply.
>> >
>> > By "big space", I mean horizontally big space like the example below
>> >
>> > textbox control 1
>> > textbox control 2
>> > textbox control 3
>> >
>> > if there is no data/value for textbox control 2, it shows like the
>> > following
>> > in the report
>> >
>> > electronic
>> >
>> > aerospace
>> >
>> > There is a blank line in between electronic and aerospace in the report
>> > as
>> > result of textbox control 2 contains no data.
>> >
>> > What I hope to see is as follows
>> >
>> > electronic
>> > aerospace
>> >
>> > the vacant line is replaced by the data in textbox control 3.
>> >
>> > I wonder if this is feasible in Access report.
>> >
>> > Thank you in advance

0
Duane
5/20/2010 2:42:10 AM
Yes, it is looking a lot better now. It is the section that i missed out on
changing the can shrink property to Yes. It works now.

Well done and Thank you for everything.

"Duane Hookom" wrote:

> Typically if the text box can shrink and the section can shrink and there
> are no controls to the left or right of the text box, the gap will shrink.
>
> --
> Duane Hookom
> MS Access MVP
>

> "Associates" <Associates@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you Duane for your reply.
> >
> > Sorry that I misunderstood your question regarding horizontal or vertical.
> > Thanks for clarifying that.
> >
> > The other question I did not realise that I had not answered it. Sorry
> > about
> > that.
> >
> > I did try to use the "can shrink" property and set it to Yes and it still
> > leaves that gap (blank lines) in the report.
> >
> > However, what i have done now is i have downsized the textbox control to
> > some extent that you can only see a tiny box. It works allright but not
> > that
> > perfect. I think I can live with that.
> >
> > If you have any other ideas you think that may work for me, I am more than
> > happy to appreciate it.
> >
> > Thank you once again for your help
> >

> > "Duane Hookom" wrote:
> >
> >> What you are describing is vertical not horizontal.
> >>
> >> I asked a question in my previous post that you did not answer.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Duane Hookom
> >> Microsoft Access MVP

What if there are other items to the left or right that you don't want to
shift?  The classic situation is an address section on an invoice report,
say.  If one of the address fields is not being used you get the gaps.
However, if you let it expand and contract, information further to the left
or right gets broken up.  What is the answer to that?

"Associates" wrote:

> Yes, it is looking a lot better now. It is the section that i missed out on
> changing the can shrink property to Yes. It works now.
>
> Well done and Thank you for everything.
>
> "Duane Hookom" wrote:
>
> > Typically if the text box can shrink and the section can shrink and there
> > are no controls to the left or right of the text box, the gap will shrink.
> >
> > --
> > Duane Hookom
> > MS Access MVP
> >

> > "Associates" <Associates@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Thank you Duane for your reply.
> > >
> > > Sorry that I misunderstood your question regarding horizontal or vertical.
> > > Thanks for clarifying that.
> > >
> > > The other question I did not realise that I had not answered it. Sorry
> > > about
> > > that.
> > >
> > > I did try to use the "can shrink" property and set it to Yes and it still
> > > leaves that gap (blank lines) in the report.
> > >
> > > However, what i have done now is i have downsized the textbox control to
> > > some extent that you can only see a tiny box. It works allright but not
> > > that
> > > perfect. I think I can live with that.
> > >
> > > If you have any other ideas you think that may work for me, I am more than
> > > happy to appreciate it.
> > >
> > > Thank you once again for your help

I often use concatenated values in a single text box or query field.  For
instance, in a query:

FullAddress:  [CompanyName] & Chr(13) & Chr(10) &
                    [Address1] & Chr(13) & Chr(10) &
                    ([Address2] + Chr(13) + Chr(10)) &
                    [City] & ", " & [State] & Space(3) & [Zip]

The Address2 line uses plus signs instead of ampersands for concatenation.
The reason is that if Address2 is Null, the entire expression inside the
parentheses will evaluate to Null, and there will be no vertical space where
Address2 would be.

This doesn't eliminate all difficulties, but it is one of the techniques that
can be put to use.

Vagabond wrote:
>What if there are other items to the left or right that you don't want to
>shift?  The classic situation is an address section on an invoice report,
>say.  If one of the address fields is not being used you get the gaps.
>However, if you let it expand and contract, information further to the left
>or right gets broken up.  What is the answer to that?
>
>> Yes, it is looking a lot better now. It is the section that i missed out on
>> changing the can shrink property to Yes. It works now.
>[quoted text clipped - 74 lines]

BruceM

System Data Protection 2007 on a SBS 2008 Domain
Hi all, This is a lab situation where I have SBS 2008 running on HyperV and doing well... I would like to install Server 2008R2, give it 2 or 4 GBs RAM, 2 CPUs and then install System Data Protection 2007 Has anyone tried this? Is it doable at all? Thanks to all, Dan On Jan 7, 11:52=A0am, "Daniel Jewel" <cyberdud...@yahoo.com.br> wrote: > Hi all, > > This is a lab situation where I have SBS 2008 running on HyperV and doing > well... > > I would like to install Server 2008R2, give it 2 or 4 GBs RAM, 2 CPUs and > then install Sy...

Subform Data Entry Problems
I have a subform based on a query linked to the Form by "ContactID". The query works fine when run independent of the subform. I am able to enter all data fields and where necessary the autonumber function assigns properly. But when I try to use the subform all records related by my table "tblADDRESS" do not allow data entry (the fields are not locked). I imagine the ContactID Master/Child link in some way is interfering with the query in Form view, but I've tried every variation of join properties within the Query for the Subform and in the Query for the main...

How to clear corrupt data on Outlook calendar?
I have bought a new Blackberry but am unable to backup the calendar - I get a "corrupt data" message for an old item, and I cant find a way to get rid of the item. Any ideas please? Geoff What type of item is being reported? Is it a reminder? Try starting Outlook (next time report your version please) with the /cleanreminders switch. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, swallows...

Printing Autofilter Data
How do I print Autofilter data onto one sheet instead of a few lines on say 20 pages? In page Setup, select fit to print and select 1 page wide and 1 page high. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "Confused" <Confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2C7DCB67-06B2-429C-99D9-D2B3A40FEF4A@microsoft.com... > How do I print Autofilter data onto one sheet instead of a few lines on say > 20 pages? Thank you! "Tom Ogilvy" wrote: > In page Setup, select fit to print and select 1 page wide and 1 page high. > > -- > Regards, > Tom Ogilvy >...

GetWindowRect() of GUI Controls
I want to get the windows rectangle of the graphical user interface control based on a point derived from ::GetCursorPos(). The problem is that ChildWindowFromPoint() only provides the first child window on the list. This window is often not the actual GUI control. How can I get the HWND of the actual GUI control? "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote in message news:64ccj.20932$db7.11152@newsfe12.phx... > I want to get the windows rectangle of the graphical user > interface control based on a point derived from > ::GetCursorPos(). The problem is that Chi...

Referencing using data in a cell? #2
thanks, that was perfec -- altitude2 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- altitude2k's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1506 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26685 ...

How can I get data from one worksheet into another exsiting worksh
Here is my case: I already have 2 worksheets both include 2 columns: Cell & Site Name. WorkSheet A includes all the cells and site names; WorkSheet B includes only a small portion of Cells. Now what I need to do is to get the site name for each cell in worksheet B. I don't want to manually copy & paste. Is there any way to speed up? Thanx! Cell Site Name T50MB7 T73MA7 T73MA8 T73MA9 T04MV9 T04MW7 T34MK7 T34MK8 T51ME1 T51ME2 T51ME3 T04MV1 T34OR2 T34OR7 T34OR8 Sabrina, you can use the VLOOKUP formula to fill in your Site Names in Worksheet B. Example: =VL...

Contouring data from rows and columns
I have created several contour (surface) plots, but cannot enlarge the size of any of these graphs. I would appreciate any suggestions or help. Thanks, Mangat Mangat - Sometimes when you adjust the 3D view of a chart like this, Excel shrinks it. What it does, really, is shrink the plot area. If you click right near the walls of the chart, not on an axis but well within the outline of the chart object, you will activate the plot area, and it will be surrounded by a thick gray rectangle. You can resize this rectangle. Sometimes it isn't possible to make it exactly the way you w...

Trying to "Grey Out" unwanted fields in a data entry form
I have a table with about 20 fields, one of them being "Analysis Type". There are 6 of these types. I then have a form in my self- made switchborad with 6 command buttons, all allowing the user to choose which type of analysis he wants - which then leads to the appropriate form. Now, what I am trying to do is make one big generic data entry form for each analysis type. For instance, if the user selects analysis type "X", then the generic data entry form comes up with all fields in the form listed, but the ones not pertinant to that analysis type are "greyed out&quo...

Hide HTML Links on app's status bar
How might I prevent links from being shown in the status bar in my CHtmlView derived class, when the mouse hovers over a link. This is a view used to display a local mini website that navigates only with itself and is installed along with my application, so I don't want the user to be bothered with or even know what the links are. I'm rather hoping that there is a simply cs.style I can apply in a PreCreate or something easy! perhaps I can intercept the message that sends the text to the status bar from this class and just send a blank string? I'm using VS2005 and codejock t...

Comments Textbox
I have a form in which I have an unbound textbox so that users can add comments about the record. I type something into the textbox on one of the records and it fills whatever I wrote into all other records. I want what gets typed to just stay on the one record. Any ideas? "LFC" <LFC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:695DCB42-BF79-4F77-BEF7-03A0ED7E4F68@microsoft.com... >I have a form in which I have an unbound textbox so that users can add > comments about the record. I type something into the textbox on one of > the > records and ...

Data Consolidation #2
Hey All, ...

Directly link item engineering data rev level to PO entry/update
Common industry standard is to note the revision level of the item ordered on the PO... this is required for ISO. There is no direct table link from item engineering data to the PO Entry/update regarding item's current revision level. -- Steve Laurenzano K-Rain Manufacturing ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based News...

vertical centering of data
I had to create a text box that is a little larger vertically than a normal text box. When the user enters data in the text box, it appears at the top part of the text box leaving a little more space at the bottom of the text box than what is visually appealing. It would be nice to center the data inside the text box so that there is equal space above and below the data entered in the text box. Is there any way to center the data inside the text box so that there is equal spacing both vertically as well as horizontally? I know this is getting a little picky but as I said, i...

Automatically pull data from one file to populate a template
Hi Everyone... Just beginning to get the hang of vba coding in excel. I would like to implement a new feature in a spreadsheet here at the office. We currently have a master records sheet containing vital information on unit processing. Each unit then has a sub file containing additional information. Currently one must populate the master record file. Then open a template and populate another file with the same information. I would like to streamline this process and have the data in the master record file automatically inserted into the template, allowing the user to only have to ...

how to insert control's in CTabCtrl
hi group, i have created a CTabCtrl on my dockable window with the following code int CDocDebug::OnCreate(LPCREATESTRUCT lpCreateStruct) { if (CSizingDocBar::OnCreate(lpCreateStruct) == -1) return -1; SetSCBStyle(GetSCBStyle() | SCBS_SHOWEDGES | SCBS_SIZECHILD); ///CTabCtrl Creation CRect rect; GetClientRect(&rect); m_imageList.Create(IDB_TREEVIEWBITMAP,16,1,RGB(255,255,255)); m_wndTabCtl.Create(TCS_BOTTOM|TCS_FORCELABELLEFT |WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE |WS_TABSTOP, rect,this,12345); m_wndTabCtl.SetImageList(&m_imageList); DWORD dwExStyle= m_wndTabCtl.GetExtendedStyle(); ...

can't load xml containing an encoded control code
using soap with a .net client, a soap server sends a document with a string structure. In the string structure is a vertical tab (0x0b). The soap server converts the tab to &#xB; before transmitting. This seems to be a valid xml document upon transmitting. however, the client receives this document and throws the exception ({"'\v', hexadecimal value 0x0B, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 468." }) Why is it that the validation is being done on a document with 0x0B and not &#xB, shouldn't the conversion of the data occur after the validation? How do I...

Need help in data copying. #2
Hi Dave Thanks for your reply. It is working perfect *if there is more than one row*. But If I have the data only one row (B8 in my case) , then it selec the data till the end of the file ( till Row no. 65536) I will appreciate your reply. Tom -- SMIL ----------------------------------------------------------------------- SMILE's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=488 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=25956 SMILE, Don't use .End(xlDown) For example, if the code is Range(ActiveCell, ActiveCell.End(xlDown)...

Merge cell & Copy Data from different cell
Can data been copy from a merge cell, if possible pls explain. How to copy word from another cell. Thank you ...

Push single contact field data into prepared excel workbook
I am new to macros but ameager to get some formulated to help run my small business. I have been trying to find some code which suits my requirement of pushing signgular fields from a contact into a pre-prepared excel book which is loaded with the next stage of macro-powered automation. I recieve enquiries both via email and by phone. I use my blackberry to save phone enquiries to address book and Anagram for Blackberry to capture the required contact data from our email enquiry form. Both are then synchronised with my Outlook contacts. Either from the point of creation, or through ...

WebBrowser Control Garbles when Set to EditMode
I have the webbrowser control and it is set to designmode like this: theWebBrowser.AllowNavigation = False theWebBrowser.AllowWebBrowserDrop = False theWebBrowser.IsWebBrowserContextMenuEnabled = False theWebBrowser.ScriptErrorsSuppressed = True theWebBrowser.ActiveXInstance.document.designmode = "On" I have tried something similar using IE and Firefox by running this in the browser: javascript:document.body.contentEditable='true'; document.designMode='on'; void 0 They both put the the page in edit mode, but the first wa...

code to sum 8 textboxes
Hi there, I am trying to get a text box (txtsubtotal) to sum 8 other 'price' text boxes (txtprice1...txtprice8) when a command button (cmdCalculate) is clicked. Each 'price' text box is filled via a combo box (cboitem1) change code. Here is briefly what I have: Each combo box is coded like this: Private Sub cboItem1_change() Me.txtprice1 = WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Me.cboItem1, Worksheets _("Pizzas").Range("A:B"), 2, 0) End Sub Each 'price' text box is coded like this: Private Sub txtprice1_change() txtprice1.Value = Format(Me.tx...

Mapping Geographic Data
I want to create a data map and I need to have Microsoft Map installed. Apparently Microsoft Map was not installed when our IT Department installed Excel (I am running Excel 2003). I believe I ahve to rerun Setup to install Microsoft Map however my IT Department says they can't find Microsoft Map in the Setup file. Can any one help me tell them how to locate Microsoft Map in the Setup file? Hi, Map was dropped as a free add on to excel after xl2000, I think that's the version. Anyhow to get Maps in xl2003 you will need to buy the standard alone program. Cheers Andy Mike wro...

Printing memo data from a form
I have a form which contains a memo field which may require more than one page to print. I can only get my printer to print out what is almost a screen shot of the page. How can I set up a command button which will print out the form with all the data from the memo field? Martin, You will run across that problem when trying to print forms. Forms are desinged to be used like menus (inputting data), reports are designed for printing. Create a report and set the field to Can Grow = Yes. -- Gina Whipp "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremo...

XML format of Visio Control....
Hi, Is there any way to get the XML format of a ActiveX Vision Document control (dropped in a C# form) without saving it physically in disk ? In other word is it possible to generate the XML format of a ActiveX Vision Document control (dropped in a C# form) for any change we do there without needing to save it in hdd ??? Thank You in advance. ...