Form - with Progress Bar

Hi:

Can you please tell me if there is any easy way to display within a form, a
progress bar?

I have a report with selection criteria from a form; when more that one org
units are selected it takes a while to run; just to be 'nice' during this
time, idealy a form pops up to show a blue bar with the progress.

If it is too complicated... I will not do it.

Thanks in advance!

Dan

D wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Can you please tell me if there is any easy way to display within a
> form, a progress bar?
>
> I have a report with selection criteria from a form; when more that
> one org units are selected it takes a while to run; just to be 'nice'
> during this time, idealy a form pops up to show a blue bar with the
> progress.
>
> If it is too complicated... I will not do it.

Probably is.  Progress bars show the progress of lots of small steps.  Opening a
report is (to Access) one big step.  So even if you did it the bar would sit at
zero until the report opened at which point it would jump to 100%.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...

0
Rick
11/22/2007 6:24:14 PM
Thanks Rick! is the below "viable"

****

So I create two rectangles. A larger one named boxProgressBar.   A smaller
one called rectProgressBar just inside the the larger box.  It's sized just a
bit smaller. Change the Back Colour of the front rectangle to whatever you
wish and the Back Style from Transparent to Normal. You might want to change
the Etched special effect of the front one to Flat.

Then change the following sample code to suit.

Dim intCurrentProgress As Integer
' This is the number of objects you expect to count which take some
'   time to process.  It likely won't be a constant in your environment.
Dim intTotalWidth As Integer
Const intProgressBarMax As Integer = 20

intTotalWidth = Me.boxProgressBar.Width

For intCurrentProgress = 1 To intProgressbarMax
    Me.rectProgressBar.Width = (intTotalWidth / intProgressBarMax) *
intCurrentProgress
    Me.Repaint

"Rick Brandt" wrote:

> D wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> > Can you please tell me if there is any easy way to display within a
> > form, a progress bar?
> >
> > I have a report with selection criteria from a form; when more that
> > one org units are selected it takes a while to run; just to be 'nice'
> > during this time, idealy a form pops up to show a blue bar with the
> > progress.
> >
> > If it is too complicated... I will not do it.
>
> Probably is.  Progress bars show the progress of lots of small steps.  Opening a
> report is (to Access) one big step.  So even if you did it the bar would sit at
> zero until the report opened at which point it would jump to 100%.
>
> --
> Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
> Email (as appropriate) to...
> RBrandt   at   Hunter   dot   com

The problem here is not writing some code that can display, and increment of
progress bar step by step as you propose. what you have to work fine, and
will produce a progress bar on the screen (actually, you'll likely need a
doevents command in the loop also update the display).

to probably going to have is you can run is looping code to increment the
progress bar when you launch the report you can go

a)

        code to loop -> increment progess bar
        launch rerpot (docmd.Openreprot)

or

b)

        launch rerpot (docmd.Openreprot)
        code to loop-> increment progess bar

bowl for the above approaches are useless to you, in the case of a), you'll
simply see the progress bar increment and complete, and **then** you you
will star waiting for the report.

In the case of b, you'll simply be waiting until the report loads and
finishes, and *then* you'll see your progress bar start.

perhaps I misunderstood your original question, and if you're doing some
kind of record set or data processing looped to build and create the data
for the report, then you can most certainly display that progress bar.
However, you don't have any ability to make the progress bar run while  the
report is rendering.

So if you have like say a fifteen to 20 second delay (or more) before the
report loads where you have to process a bunch of data, and THEN launch the
reprot..then, yes, using a progress bar is a great idea....

--
Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

0
Albert
11/22/2007 9:07:59 PM
Hi Albert:

Thanks!

Do you have any example please? I think I can try b??

Thanks,

Dan

"Albert D. Kallal" wrote:

> The problem here is not writing some code that can display, and increment of
> progress bar step by step as you propose. what you have to work fine, and
> will produce a progress bar on the screen (actually, you'll likely need a
> doevents command in the loop also update the display).
>
> to probably going to have is you can run is looping code to increment the
> progress bar when you launch the report you can go
>

> a)
>
>         code to loop -> increment progess bar
>         launch rerpot (docmd.Openreprot)
>
> or
>
> b)
>
>         launch rerpot (docmd.Openreprot)
>         code to loop-> increment progess bar
>
> bowl for the above approaches are useless to you, in the case of a), you'll
> simply see the progress bar increment and complete, and **then** you you
> will star waiting for the report.
>
> In the case of b, you'll simply be waiting until the report loads and
> finishes, and *then* you'll see your progress bar start.
>
> perhaps I misunderstood your original question, and if you're doing some
> kind of record set or data processing looped to build and create the data
> for the report, then you can most certainly display that progress bar.
> However, you don't have any ability to make the progress bar run while  the
> report is rendering.
>
> So if you have like say a fifteen to 20 second delay (or more) before the
> report loads where you have to process a bunch of data, and THEN launch the
> reprot..then, yes, using a progress bar is a great idea....
>

> --
> Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
> Edmonton, Alberta Canada
> pleaseNOOSpamKallal@msn.com

emailing link from Explorer tool bar
Prior to the installation of xp ( i used to use millenium) when I "send a link" from IE 6.0 it opens Outlook Express as it should but adds the url as an attachment rather than in the body of the email which I prefer. I can't find any setting adjustments on OE 6 or IE 6. Anyone with any ideas? This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97-2003 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5...

Error bars #7
I've recently learned how to get error bars on my charts. I was now wondering if there is a way to have a value attached to the error bar appear above it. Or, if there is a way in general to place values you assign above parts of a chart, like an error bar. Trichotos I will often add an XY series with custom data point labels, with X and Y calculated to put the label where I want. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Trichotos" <Trichotos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D8E...

Collecting data from Excel form
I am working in Excel 2003 and would like to know if there is a way to create a form for data fill-in so that the data would then be collected in a database elsewhere. Thank you, Ricki Ricki, You can go to http://smartusemicrosoftoffice.blogspot.com/2010/03/linking-data-from-form-to-database.html to see it is the solution you want. Hope can help me. Thanks for the post. his is the task I would like to accomplish, but there are no instructions on how to accomplish this task., just a screen shot on what will happen. Where can I find the instructions to get this to work?...

Purchase Order Form
Where do you add a new PO Form that you manually created so that when you go to print a PO you can choose it instead of "Blank Form" or "Other Form"? ...

Convert form Quark Express
Can MS Publisher read/convert files created in Quark Express? How? Hi Craig (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Can MS Publisher read/convert files created in Quark || Express? How? No, it cannot. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Office Publisher MVP Official Publisher MVP Site: http://www.kvalheim.org This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...

Moving Data From One Form To Another
Hi all, I have a form that shows student information (primary key = student ID). I have buttons on this form to bring up other forms that can be used to register student for certain events. The first form is data from a student table, while the ones for registering the student are connected to a table s called Students Registered for an event (primary key = Student ID + Event ID). The problem is, then when you open the registration form, you have to manually put in the Student ID as input. I would like to pull whatever Student ID was currently showing in the Student form to be automatically p...

Email Coding works in one form but not the other...
I have this code in one form and it works perfectly: Dim olkApp As New Outlook.Application Dim mailNewMail As Outlook.MailItem Set mailNewMail = olkApp.CreateItem(olMailItem) With mailNewMail .To = "jfoster@monitronics.com;sroberson@monitronics.com" .CC = "" .BCC = "" .Subject = "Save Alert - Please Confirm" .Body = "Agent: " & Forms![frmLogIn]![Combo22] & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _ "CS#: " & Forms![frmwinbacksave]![cs#] & vbCrLf & vbCrLf &a...

Report Writer (Modify Stock PO Form)
I need to add a comment to all PO's forms. (ie. "All corespondents must reference the above PO number.") Can someone walk me through the process from start to finish or show me where to find this info. thanks, GP9.0 SP3 -- Christian S South Carolina Christian, If this is a comment that will be used very often, then you can create a comment ID in the Comment Setup window (Tools > Setup > Company > Comments) by entering the Comment ID, i.e., POREFRNCE. and setting the series to Purchasing. When you create your PO, you can select this comment ID from the lookup. ...

help on my forms and subforms
Hi. I have a form generated from one table and a subform within it that shows data from a different table. I need to generate a query or a filter that will only show fields that fall within two dates on my subform. How do I do this? The form has employee Id information and the subform has information from a table with time sheet information. I need the filter or query to only show dates within a pay period. Thanks for your help. Use a query based on the table for the subform instead of the table that filters based on your pay periods. -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP &quo...

Saving Input on User Form to Hidden Worksheet
I have a User Form that once it is filled in, it updates several other Work Books from different Control Buttons. I need to save the Input on the User Form in one of the Wook Books, so that if the Work Book is opened again the User Form automatically Fills back in. Would the Information on the User Form be saved on a hidden Work Sheet in the Work Book that I want to save it in? Any Ideas on how to achive this? You must write code to save and reload informations like this. Lots of ideas. Where to save is a question of what's practical. You can write to a sheet in the ...

RE: Excel data exported to custom Outlook form
Greetings earthlings, I have an issue that I have been trying to resolve for sometime, I think I will provide the scenario and hope someone has an answer. Here it is. - I have Excel workbook called "users.xls" - I have a worksheet called "location" - I have a cell B10 in the worksheet who's contents I want to be exported to a textbox called "state" in a custom Outlook form called "RFCO" that resides in the personal forms library in Outlook. (this custom form is from an email template) - I then want to be able to email the form. How do I c...

Best way to play Video files on an Access form?
Hello, My client has an Access front end with an SQL Server back end that will be storing Videos. The client wants to play those videos on an Access form. I know I can use Windows Media Player, but just wondering if anyone has experience doing this that has some insight on what the best way to handle this is. I know Media Player can be a bit of a pig, so if there is a better solution, I would love to hear it. Thanks! Rico ...

PLEASE HELP: Design a Student Screener in forms module
Hi All, I have a Student2009 Database With the following Data elements: FName LName SID HeightIn WeightLb DaysPresent DaysAbsent Percent TotalCourseNo AvgBaseBallScore AvgBasketBallScore So now I want to design a screener which will help me find the students I want based on what I select. I have already started it by designing a custom form in forms module where I can select the criterias like BaseBallAvg1, BaseBallAvg2, BasketBallAvg1 and BasketBallAvg2, Height1 and Height2 etc . here is my code, But it is not working yet and I need some help with it. PLEASE HELP!...

Forms and passing data
Hi. I have a form that has a button on it that opens another form, which you can then add data about the first form...for example... A form that pulls information from the Company table the button opens A form that pulls information from the contact table *specifically* for that company The company name is NOT repeated in the second form, but it is there in an invisible field. My question is, when I want to add a new contact for the company and I use this form, it is not automatically putting in the company name. Is there a way for me to automatically pass this information on to new e...

How do I insert a specific number in a gantt bar
Hi I,m attempting to insert a specific number into a gantt bar or edit default text in the format box. Any body help? Hi GarryB, I'm not sure I understand completely what you are trying to do. I'm guessing edit the information which shows next to the bars on the Gantt chart? Insert a custom field into the table through Insert > Column and pick on of the text columns. Enter the value you want to show. Then Format > Bar Styles. Select the bar type and on the Text tab, select the custom field. I hope this helps. Let us know how you get along. Julie Pr...

scroll bars #3
My scroll bars and sheet pages have disappreared from the files that I am working on i excell. How do I get them back? What did you use when you searched Google Advanced Groups as search argument. I don't think you even tried to solve your own problem. (you would also have to spell Excel with one EL ). http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*Excel*&num=100 scroll.bar* missing http://google.com/groups?threadm=cmoore.wtjaa%40excelforum-nospam.com --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.m...

Modifying the case form title
Hello everyone, is there anyway to add a field in the Case Form title? Instead of having : "CASE: FMD-0001-3jHEUG" , I would like to have something like "CASE: FMD-0001-3jHEUG for Mr. Smith" which would be of course the customer name. Thanks! You can change the window title. Just put document.title = document.title + ' for ' + crmForm.all.fieldName.DataValue; However, the name of the customer is not directly available on the case form, so you would need to retrieve that, e.g. using a client side webservice call. HTH, -- Jeffry van de...

Warning/Startup Forms
I recently created a db for work and wanted a warning form to be shown if a particular event happened on the day it was opened, or conversely a 'No Events' msg box. 'Allen' kindly supplied me the code to do this however I now need to activate the switchboard after the msg box 'OK' button has been clicked. The code I am currently using is below and any help would be greatly appreciated: Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer) If Me.Recordset.RecordCount = 0 Then 'MsgBox "No Events" Cancel = True End If End...

how to automate tax deduction form?
i want to automate my tax deduction form.can any one help? Are you using Microsoft Access to create the database? If so, post details of what you need to do. If not, you would do best to find a newsgroup appropriate to the software you are using to create the form. "bhanu" <bhanupriya11@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1183711105.458449.30610@g37g2000prf.googlegroups.com... >i want to automate my tax deduction form.can any one help? > On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 01:38:25 -0700, bhanu <bhanupriya11@gmail.com> wrote: >i want to automate my tax deduction form.c...

Hide subforms control from main forms control
I have no idea how to hide some controls in my subform if value in a textbox in main form is >1 or =1.I can't write a code. Please help. Ciao New_Access wrote: > I have no idea how to hide some controls in my subform > if value in a textbox in main form is >1 or =1.I can't write a code. > Please help. Private sub form_current() if youControlName => "1" then forms!NameForm!SubForm.form.YouControlName.visible = false end if end sub -- Ciao Geppo geppo, why does access think my FormName is a fieldname. "geppo" <ccc@tin.it.inva...

Publisher didn't create an image for my form, not on my website
Help! I see my form and uploaded the new data to godaddy but my old form (which never worked) is still there. It is searching for "img17.gif but it is not there. I looked in my computer, there is no image, how do I save one for upload? bmardigras@yahoo.com Assuming that you are using Publisher 2003 or 2007 and haven't changed the default settings, when you "Publish to the Web" and produce your web files, Publisher generates an index.htm file (your home page) and an "index_files" folder that contains all the supporting graphics and images for your site al...

Excel macro or command button to search using a user form
I have a user form which shows info about each student. I want to be able to enter a student's name in a textbox and have all the fields on the form populated with the student information. You need to be a lot more specific on what you are wanting else we have to make a lot of assumptions. I would recommend using a combobox instead of a textbox. This way you can utilize the Change Event and have the students info. automatically filled in the rest of your userform. I will assume you have a list of students in Sheet1 in Col. A. Just set the RowSource property of the c...

Forms completion
Here is a question for you, we have a pretty simple database to gather comments and suggestions from users for improvement on things around our office, It is a form entry, a suggestion that was given is when users want to enter multiple suggestions they are having to re-enter the header section of the form (Basics of name and contact information) repeatedly, is there a code or work around where that will replicate for the user if they click the add new record after they enter the first entry? Are you storing this information in every row of the table? The way it should work is, when the...

draw geographic object on windows form.
I have some lines that are described by geographic coordinates (x1,y1) to (x2,y2) in UTM coordinate. What I'm trying to do is draw these lines onto a windows form to visualize what they look like. I can draw lines onto the form using the code below. my question is how do I convert my UTM coordinates to a form that can be drawn on the screen? Bitmap DrawArea; DrawArea = new Bitmap(pictureBox1.Size.Width, pictureBox1.Size.Height); pictureBox1.Image = DrawArea; Graphics g; g = Graphics.FromImage(DrawArea); Pen mypen = new Pen(Color.Black); g.DrawLine(mypen, 0, 0, 20, 6...

OWA Form based authentication
Hello Newsgroup ! I have a question. Does someone of you know how to access the mailbox of another user when form based authentication is enabled? Without FBA enabled it is servername/exchange/user@doamin.com. I don't know how to access the mailbox directly from the logon page when FBA is enabled. Thank you in advanced Br Markus ...