Erratic Report Field Format

Hi:
Having strange problem with erratic behavior of field format on a
report/subreport, which I hope someone can solve. (Using Ac2003)
On the subreport Detail, I have a field "Charges", Where Format=
Fixed, Decimal Places = 2, and ControlSource =
=Replace([ChargesApproved],"."," ").
On the subreport Footer, I have a field "SumCharges", whose
Format=Currency, Decimal places =  2, and
ControlSource==DSum("[ChargesApproved]","TopN") (where TopN is the
underlying query for the subreport).
Then, in the Report Detail section, there is a field "TotalCharges",
where Format = Fixed, Decimal places = 2, and
controlsource =Replace([INVOICE1500subform].[Report]!
[Sumcharges],"."," ").

If the report is opened using command DoCmd.OpenReport "Invoice
1500-1", then all fields are formatted correctly, and TotalCharges
might show a correct result as 2800 00.
However, I sometimes use the following command sequence:
            DoCmd.OpenReport "RptSelfPayNon-Par", openargs:=""
            DoCmd.OpenReport "RptSelfPayNon-Par", openargs:="Copy"
            DoCmd.OpenReport "Invoice 1500-1"
When I print using this sequence, the third line prints these fields
improperly  as , for example, "2800", which amounts to $28.00 on the
invoice instead of $2800.00.

Can someone provide a remedy for this erratic performance?
TIA, Richard

0
richaluft

The Replace() function according to Help (and my experience) "Returns a
string in which a specified substring has been replaced with another
substring a specified number of times."

You are treating the result of Replace() as if it is numeric. I don't know
what your values look like before or after the Replace() but if you want the
value to be treated as a numeric, try wrapping it in Val() or CDbl() or
something.

--
Duane Hookom
Microsoft Access MVP

On Dec 22, 11:57=A0pm, Duane Hookom <duanehookom@NO_SPAMhotmail.com>
wrote:
> The Replace() function according to Help (and my experience) "Returns a
> string in which a specified substring has been replaced with another
> substring a specified number of times."
>
> You are treating the result of Replace() as if it is numeric. I don't know=

> what your values look like before or after the Replace() but if you want t=
he
> value to be treated as a numeric, try wrapping it in Val() or CDbl() or
> something.
>
> --
> Duane Hookom
> Microsoft Access MVP
> If I have helped you, please help me by donating to UCPhttp://www.access.h=
ookom.net/UCP/Default.htm

> "richal...@cs.com" wrote:
> > Hi:
> > Having strange problem with erratic behavior of field format on a
> > report/subreport, which I hope someone can solve. (Using Ac2003)
> > On the subreport Detail, I have a field "Charges", Where Format=3D
> > Fixed, Decimal Places =3D 2, and ControlSource =3D
> > =3DReplace([ChargesApproved],"."," ").
> > On the subreport Footer, I have a field "SumCharges", whose
> > Format=3DCurrency, Decimal places =3D =A02, and
> > ControlSource=3D=3DDSum("[ChargesApproved]","TopN") (where TopN is the
> > underlying query for the subreport).
> > Then, in the Report Detail section, there is a field "TotalCharges",
> > where Format =3D Fixed, Decimal places =3D 2, and
> > controlsource =3DReplace([INVOICE1500subform].[Report]!
> > [Sumcharges],"."," ").
>
> > If the report is opened using command DoCmd.OpenReport "Invoice
> > 1500-1", then all fields are formatted correctly, and TotalCharges
> > might show a correct result as 2800 00.
> > However, I sometimes use the following command sequence:
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 DoCmd.OpenReport "RptSelfPayNon-Par", openargs:=
=3D""
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 DoCmd.OpenReport "RptSelfPayNon-Par", openargs:=
=3D"Copy"
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 DoCmd.OpenReport "Invoice 1500-1"
> > When I print using this sequence, the third line prints these fields
> > improperly =A0as , for example, "2800", which amounts to $28.00 on the
> > invoice instead of $2800.00.
>
> > Can someone provide a remedy for this erratic performance?
> > TIA, Richard- Hide quoted text -

Duane;
Your reply helped me identify that my problem lies in the fact that
Replace() works correctly as long as my field entry doesn't have .00
for the cents portion of the entry.  As long as the field has a
positive 'cents' value, it functions.  All the rest of what I wrote is
irrelevant.
Now, to try to convert my Currency field into a string--------.
Regards, Richard
0
richaluft
12/23/2007 3:47:05 PM
Can I ask why you would want to change a currency field into a string?
--

richaluft@cs.com wrote:
>Having strange problem with erratic behavior of field format on a
>report/subreport, which I hope someone can solve. (Using Ac2003)
>On the subreport Detail, I have a field "Charges", Where Format=
>Fixed, Decimal Places = 2, and ControlSource =
>=Replace([ChargesApproved],"."," ").
>On the subreport Footer, I have a field "SumCharges", whose
>Format=Currency, Decimal places =  2, and
>ControlSource==DSum("[ChargesApproved]","TopN") (where TopN is the
>underlying query for the subreport).
>Then, in the Report Detail section, there is a field "TotalCharges",
>where Format = Fixed, Decimal places = 2, and
>controlsource =Replace([INVOICE1500subform].[Report]!
>[Sumcharges],"."," ").

You seem to have a gross misperception of what a control's
Format and DecimalPlaces properties do.  Those formatting
properties are only used after all calulations are completed
and then only for display purposes.  When you used Replace,
it operates on the **value**, which has not be sujected to
any formatting.  Furthermore, the value must be converted to
a string before Replace can do anything.  This means that a
value with .00 will be converted to a string such as 123
without a decimal point and thus you see what you call a
problem.  After Replace does its thing the value is a text
string and all numeric formatting will be ignored.

The txtCharges text box should not have any formatting and
use an expression like this to calculate your oddly
formatted string for display:
	=Replace(Format(Charges, "$0.00"), ".", " ")
Note: The text box name must be different from field name.

The footer text box, [Sum Charges], with no formatting,
could use an expression like this to display the total:
	=Replace(Format(=Sum(Charges), "$0.00"), ".", " ")

Because the values of bot those text boxes are text strings,
neither on can be used in other calculations.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]
wrote:
> Can I ask why you would want to change a currency field into a string?
> --
> Duane Hookom
> Microsoft Access MVP
> If I have helped you, please help me by donating to UCPhttp://www.access.hookom.net/UCP/Default.htm
>
> "richal...@cs.com" wrote:
> > On Dec 22, 11:57 pm, Duane Hookom <duanehookom@NO_SPAMhotmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > The Replace() function according to Help (and my experience) "Returns a
> > > string in which a specified substring has been replaced with another
> > > substring a specified number of times."
>
> > > You are treating the result of Replace() as if it is numeric. I don't know
> > > what your values look like before or after the Replace() but if you want the
> > > value to be treated as a numeric, try wrapping it in Val() or CDbl() or
> > > something.
>
> > > --
> > > Duane Hookom
> > > Microsoft Access MVP
> > > If I have helped you, please help me by donating to UCPhttp://www.access.hookom.net/UCP/Default.htm

> > Duane;
> > Your reply helped me identify that my problem lies in the fact that
> > Replace() works correctly as long as my field entry doesn't have .00
> > for the cents portion of the entry.  As long as the field has a
> > positive 'cents' value, it functions.  All the rest of what I wrote is
> > irrelevant.
> > Now, to try to convert my Currency field into a string--------.
> > Regards, Richard

Duane:
I don't Want to change the field into a string, but on the report, the
currency values must be expressed as #### ##
with a 'space' rather than a decimal.  Thus, I've been using the
Replace function on a currency value, which, as I said, seems to work
fine aslong as there is a value present (other than 00) in the 'cents'
portion of the value.
0
richaluft
12/23/2007 5:42:27 PM
On Dec 23, 12:38 pm, Marshall Barton <marshbar...@wowway.com> wrote:
> richal...@cs.com wrote:
> >Having strange problem with erratic behavior of field format on a
> >report/subreport, which I hope someone can solve. (Using Ac2003)
> >On the subreport Detail, I have a field "Charges", Where Format=
> >Fixed, Decimal Places = 2, and ControlSource =
> >=Replace([ChargesApproved],"."," ").
> >On the subreport Footer, I have a field "SumCharges", whose
> >Format=Currency, Decimal places =  2, and
> >ControlSource==DSum("[ChargesApproved]","TopN") (where TopN is the
> >underlying query for the subreport).
> >Then, in the Report Detail section, there is a field "TotalCharges",
> >where Format = Fixed, Decimal places = 2, and
> >controlsource =Replace([INVOICE1500subform].[Report]!
> >[Sumcharges],"."," ").
>
> You seem to have a gross misperception of what a control's
> Format and DecimalPlaces properties do.  Those formatting
> properties are only used after all calulations are completed
> and then only for display purposes.  When you used Replace,
> it operates on the **value**, which has not be sujected to
> any formatting.  Furthermore, the value must be converted to
> a string before Replace can do anything.  This means that a
> value with .00 will be converted to a string such as 123
> without a decimal point and thus you see what you call a
> problem.  After Replace does its thing the value is a text
> string and all numeric formatting will be ignored.
>
> The txtCharges text box should not have any formatting and
> use an expression like this to calculate your oddly
> formatted string for display:
>         =Replace(Format(Charges, "$0.00"), ".", " ")
> Note: The text box name must be different from field name.
>
> The footer text box, [Sum Charges], with no formatting,
> could use an expression like this to display the total:
>         =Replace(Format(=Sum(Charges), "$0.00"), ".", " ")
>
> Because the values of bot those text boxes are text strings,
> neither on can be used in other calculations.
>
> --
> Marsh
> MVP [MS Access]

Marsh;
Thanks for solution to problem.  Since $ also has to be eliminated,
the format specs are "0.00" and that remedies the problem
Happy holidays!
0
richaluft

More than 3 conditional formatting conditions?
I'm using Excel 2000, and I need to program a row of cells to tur certain colours based on 5 possible words being input in a given cell. So, basically: If V is in C1, I want that entire row to turn red If W is in C1, I want that entire row to turn blue, and so on for five (or six) different possibilities. Everything I've read says that every pre-2007 version of Excel onl allows three such conditions. Am I out of luck, or is there some wa around that -- ooda ----------------------------------------------------------------------- oodam's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member....

Incorrect formatting opening .csv file in Excel
When opening a database generated .csv file with the following data: "1","10E-024","1" Excel opens it incorrectly formatting the text as a scientific number: 1 1.0E-24 1 If I save the file as .txt, and open in excel using the import wizard, I can specify that the column should be text, and the item code 10E-024 appears correctly. However this is far from ideal, as it relies on a manual step and the file cannot be saved as .csv again - otherwise the same fault happens next time the file it opened. Is there a way of forcing Excel to open .csv files in raw da...

Page Formatting Preferences Seem To Have Changed
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Using Word 2004 for Mac version 11.5.6 - For example, I cannot make one line align center with Georgia font and then drop a couple of lines and switch to left alignment and Arial font. Whatever change I make, whether what I am seeking to change is highlighted or not, the entire document changes. <br><br>This used to work fine so it seems like a preference must have changed but I can't figure out how to change it back. Really, really appreciate some advice! Thanks!! You have mistakenly enabled &qu...

Report View
Is it possible to change the fields that display for Reports in My Workplace. For example: I would like to remove Report Type and Modified On from the view. Thank you, Donna ...

Number Formatting #10
I have a user who's numbers in excel are defaulting to a decimal even if you format the cell for number zero decimal places. For example if she enters 15 it will enter .15. This happens on every excel document she opens and if you open the same documents on another PC they work fine. I have even tried to reinstall excel on the PC and it does not correct the Issue. Please help with suggestions. For a work around I have her entering 15. But that is an extra key stroke. Thanks go to Tools>Options>Edit and uncheck the option for Fixed Decimal Places "Shane" wrote: >...

Sorting & Grouping On Multiple Fields
Hello, can anyone help me with this? I have four fields in a table call Team1, Team2, Team3 & Team4. Each of the fields are linked to a lookup table that has 22 team names. Persons in the database can be a part of up to four team. I wish to group my report by the 22 teams. My problem is how do I tell my report to check all four fields for each of the 22 team names before it starts to group. For example a person can be in a team call "Hawk" and that is listed in the field call Team1, while another person can also be in "Hawk" but have that listed in the field ...

Push single contact field data into prepared excel workbook
I am new to macros but ameager to get some formulated to help run my small business. I have been trying to find some code which suits my requirement of pushing signgular fields from a contact into a pre-prepared excel book which is loaded with the next stage of macro-powered automation. I recieve enquiries both via email and by phone. I use my blackberry to save phone enquiries to address book and Anagram for Blackberry to capture the required contact data from our email enquiry form. Both are then synchronised with my Outlook contacts. Either from the point of creation, or through ...

Downloading Sales Literature
I have 1 sales rep who cannot download our sales literature in the correct format? If it's a PDF, DOC, PPT, etc when he does a right click and save target as the format is always HTML? This is not happening to any other users. I had him try from his laptop and then one of my Windows 2000 Terminal servers with the same results. I am running 1.2. Any ideas? I initially thought it was his toolbar add-ons for google, but disabling did not do the trick, and that was confirmed when he had the same problem on the terminal server. ...

BUG? HQ Items Reports returning duplicate items
The HQ Items Master Quantity List and Items Master Price List reports are returning incorrect results. If an item is included in an assembly, that item is listed twice. If an item is included in seven assemblies, that item is listed eight times. I presume that the report is listing the item once and then repeating the entry for each assembly the item is part of. Each entry counts the full inventory, so your totals for cost, etc. are way off. Ideally, assembly items would not appear at all in either of these reports. At worst, a line item for the assembly ILC might appear but with a...

Clear rows where field contains a negative sign
I have a procedure called that looks for a negative sign (*-*) in the D column for all records. If it exists, the entire row is deleted. The procedure below works well for this situation, BUT when there are no records with the negative sign in the D column it deletes the first record in row 1. The Range somehow is set for the value in the D column for row 1. I have been unable to stop this so far. Does anyone have a way to not delete row one if the filter is not met? Here is the procedure: Sub CleanCancelledChks() Dim r As Range With ActiveSheet ActiveSheet.Columns(&...

XML format of Visio Control....
Hi, Is there any way to get the XML format of a ActiveX Vision Document control (dropped in a C# form) without saving it physically in disk ? In other word is it possible to generate the XML format of a ActiveX Vision Document control (dropped in a C# form) for any change we do there without needing to save it in hdd ??? Thank You in advance. ...

Need help with using a bar graph in a report
I have a report that separates information about representatives by manager. I need the graphs to give a quick summary on a few stats from each rep but only show for that manager's team and not all information. For example: Manager A has RepA, RepB, and RepC under him. Each rep has Aux1, Aux2, Aux3 information which needs to be displayed. My goal is to show Manager A with his Reps A,B, and C of their Aux1, 2, and 3. Then, under the next manager Header I want Manager B to show Rep D, E, and F with their Aux1, 2, and 3 information. Etc thru Manager G. Please help... Th...

Fill null fields from last record non-null in that field
Access 2000 -- I have a database table which is built from an import from a text file. I want to fill blank fields in records from the last previous record that has a value in that, and then when Access encounters a new record with a value in it, have this pasted into the fields below it. Now, it looks like this: 1 "0010099" 2 3 5 "0010100" 6 7 8 9 10 "0010101" 11 12 I want it to look like this: 1 "0010099" 2 "0010099 3 "0010099 5 "0010100" 6 "0010100" 7 "0010100" 8 "0010100" 9 "0...

Conditional Format #4
Hi, I've got some conditional formatting in some columns but not others. When I enter data in a row moving from one column to the next and I get to a column with no CF, Excel copies accros the CF from the previous column. Is this a 'Helpful' idea by Excel and if so can I turn it off? If it's not does anyone know how I can fix the columns with no conidtion to stay with the original formatting? Thanks Ian Try this: <Tools> <Options> <Edit> tab, And *UNCHECK* "Extend list formats and formulas". -- HTH, RD ===============================...

lead source field not populating during import
I added more choises to the lead source pull down. Restarted IIS. When I go into CRM they show up fine and I can choose them for a new lead. However I am importing leads (using Scribe) and I cannot get this field to populate. If I assign the number value associated with each pull down choice I get the number in that field. If I put nothing in that field to import when I go into CRM only the original choices for the pull downs are there, not the ones I added. I know I published them because I can see them if I'm just adding a lead from within CRM Any suggestions anyone. Hi...

Empty cells showing that they are default formated to "Date"
I created a spead sheet with one column set as a date the first to the end of the month. The other columns have various in text and accounting info. If I click on a empty cell it show in the format section on the bar the the cell is set up to have a date entry. This is all over the page. Can any one tell me why this is happening? -- Fred You can correct that by setting the formating for the other columns. Simply click on the column(s) then right click and select Format cells, or select the column(s) then go to Format and then Cells. In the selection list choose any option bes...

Title Field
Is it possible to change the column type of the 'Title' field in my SharePoint list for example, to a 'Choice' field? I don't really need a 'Title' field, but of course I need to have the 'Edit menu' option on one of the fields, and I don't want it to be a 'single line of text'. Any help would be appreciated. -- Thanks, Rob E. I wouldn't recommend messing with the title column. It's a system column and it's better to be left alone. What you can do however: 1) Hide the Title column See: http://ferraradata.co...

email report or form
Hi there Is there a way to email a form or just the corresponding page of the report rather then the entire report? -- Thank-you! Ruth Ruth <Ruth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a way to email a form or just the corresponding page of the report >rather then the entire report? Form, I have no idea as I have never printed from a form. Page or selected records? For a page on how to print a report for a single record and how to generate reports to attach to emails see the Emailing reports as attachments from Microsoft Access page at http://www.granite.ab.ca/access...

rows in a report 03-09-10
I have a text box with a number in it. How would I make that many rows in a report based off the number in the text box? Thanks in advance!!! Does the "number" come from the report's record source? Is there only one record and one "number"? -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "PJ" wrote: > I have a text box with a number in it. How would I make that many rows in a > report based off the number in the text box? > > Thanks in advance!!! It comes from the report's record source and it is the same number on all reco...

Add CRM 'Subject' look-up field to the Phone, Email, and Task form 01-30-06
Is it possible to add CRM 'Subject' look-up field to the Phone, Email, and Task forms? Existing Category and Sub-Category fields sound like they should be linked to it. A good example would be Membership as a Category and Application as sub-category (Membership being a subject and Application being a sub-subject). Yes, this is possible. You will need to create a new entity called i.e. Email Subject and then create a 1 to many relationship between email and this new entity. "mkatsev" wrote: > Is it possible to add CRM 'Subject' look-up field to the Phone, E...

Combo Box to open report
Hi, I have a report which opens a query, based on the priority number (1,2 or 3). In the query criterira for Priority I have the following. <[Show all CP with priority <=] This brings up a prompt box when I open the report where I type 1, 2 or 3 to bring up the records with that priority. I want to change the caption to a combo box where I can select 1, 2, or 3 rather than typing it in, and also have the option to display ALL records. Can anyone help please? Thanks, B/ You cannot make Access prompt you with a combo box. However, you can create an unbound form with a combo ...

Using SQL Query to mass update a field.
Having a problem in eOrder where the pictures are not showing up. I found out the Inventory image in internet information is mapped to a drive letter. If I remove the drive letter, I can see the picture in eOrder. I would like to mass update the SY01200 INET4 field and change all from f:\inventory pictures\image.jpg to image.jpg (where image.jpg is the file name). It sounds like I need to create a cursor script but am not sure how to do this. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks. Backup you data first. You might be able to use DTS to trim the data with a string transformation. Or you ...

Save data in a worksheet in fixed length fields...
I have data in a worksheet (Office 2000) which I would like to export in fixed length format for importing into another application. Is there a way to use column settings or a wizard to export the file in correct format rather than exporting and then having to do signficant editing before I can import the file into the other application? one way: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html#fixedfield In article <9C97DB7F-65EB-4438-926E-23906D56E75D@microsoft.com>, dietzd <dietzd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have data in a worksheet (Office 2000) which ...

Is there a style field in Word 2007?
In Word 2000, there was a field in one of the tool bars that showed the name of the style for the selected paragraph. Is there any way to get something like that back in Word 2007? I have the Quick Style Gallery, but it only shows a few styles. I'd like a field that shows the current style. You can add the Style box to the QAT from the Customize window. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Sesquipedalian Sam" <sesquipod@nowhere.noway> wrote in message news:a5riq5ho7ohierknkesjg0p0tici...

XML Serialization : Error reflecting field.... #2