edit variable length items in "Access" database tables

In my database table I am holding a variable length item in a database
record; the item may be from two to six alphabetic characters long.
Trailiing spaces pad the item where required.

To print out the item in a report, the item itself is sandwiched between two
fixed-length items separated by an oblique stroke, (forward slash): -
***/variable length/***.

How can I suppress the trailing spaces in my variable length item when
printing results ?

Yours Sincerely,

CHARLES WALKER

Take a look at the RTrim function or even the Trim function.

RTrim(SomeField) will trim trailing spaces off a field
Trim([SomeField]) will trim leading and trailing spaces off a field

--
John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2008

"CHARLES_WALKER" <CHARLESWALKER@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In my database table I am holding a variable length item in a database
> record; the item may be from two to six alphabetic characters long.
> Trailiing spaces pad the item where required.
>
> To print out the item in a report, the item itself is sandwiched between
> two
> fixed-length items separated by an oblique stroke, (forward slash): -
> ***/variable length/***.
>
> How can I suppress the trailing spaces in my variable length item when
> printing results ?
>
> Yours Sincerely,
>
> CHARLES WALKER

0
John

is there anyway to access funcion written in c by vc++
hi Is this is possible to access ,a function written in C by VC++. Arbind >Is this is possible to access ,a function written in C by VC++. Yes. I suspect you need to know about using extern "C" to tell the compiler that your function is 'C' rather than C++. For example: extern "C" int MyFn( int p1 ); You often use it like this: extern "C" { #include "Your_C_Header.g" } Dave -- MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq >#include "Your_C_Header.g" or even #include "Your_C_Header.h" who put that g key in the wa...

Accessing MIcrosoft Outlook
Yesterday, when I tried to access Outlook in my home pC, I received the following message: Cannot open MIcrosoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The file C:|Users \jillandgordon\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst is not a personal folders file. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can fix this? Masny thanks, Gordon in TX Try this first http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287497/ "Gordon McDougall" <braidwoodboy@gmail.com> wrote in message news:d0e17ac8-0215-431c-971f-bd862b58a245@y17g2000yqd....

I do not have access to the D: drive from Publisher, why?
I do not have access to the D: drive from Publisher, why? It keeps saying "incorrect function" khaganman <khaganman@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I do not have access to the D: drive from Publisher, why? It keeps > saying "incorrect function" Is the D: drive your CD drive? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

Accessing my information offline
I have updated my Outlook to 2002 on my notebook computer and when it is connected on the Lan at my office(new ethernet connection) I can see my calendar, addressbook, e- mails etc. However, when I disconnect and bring my notebook home, and try to access calendar, etc, it says I must sychronize while I am still connected to the Lan. My previous version of outlook didn't have this problem. I synched it on the Lan and it worked. This one won't. Any ideas???? How do you have your folders marked for Offline use under tools->Send/Receive settings? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlo...

Trying to open the current db in Access 2010 through Access Basic
I haven't programmed in Access Basic in quite a long time. Through Access Basic coding, I use to be able to open the current database and then open a table and walk through each record. Now I can't even open the database. Does anybody have an example of how to do the following: 1) Open Workspace 2) Open Current Database (assume name is unknown during run time 3) Open specific table 4) Step through each record and access the fields George C. Derkacs <George C. Derkacs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I haven't programmed in Access Basic in quite a lon...

MS Access 2007, Forms
When using the "Forms Wizard", I need to use the "Style: Ricepaper", but it isn't available in the 2007 version and I have not been successful trying to find it in Office Online or on the web. Does anyone know where I can get it? Access 2007 has 25 AutoFormats, but as you noticed, they are virtually all new ones. It's actually nice to see that these were updated. To get the older Ricepaper style you could probably create a form in an earlier version of Access and then import it into your current database. If you're using the ACCDB file format, you would...

Does table size make a difference in how well Access protects data
I am having a problem that has been going on for several weeks now. I am slowly trying to figure it out. the problem is that Access 2003 keeps deleting records after they are entered. Quick view of database: running Access 2k3 back end and frontends, 12 machines access the DB at any one time, mixture of Win2k Pro and Win XP pro all patches and service packs installed for all OS's as well as Access 2k3. Running Client/server set up controlled by Small Business Server 2k3. database resides on a machine running XP Pro. when new orders are entered into the system, the DB will tell the d...

unable to link from Access to excel named range error 3011
I have a list of xl workbook names in an Access table. My code cycles through these names and finds them in a directory. This works flawlessly. Now I want to find and name ranges in the workbooks, and link to them from my Access db. The process works for the first 2, then fails on the 3rd. I don't see what's different about the 3rd tblName lclName CellTxt RngNm Active and Approved Pending Stores*.xls xlStores Location Code Stores Annualized Rent Batch*.xls xlExtras Store Number Extras ...

Giving Someone Access to Another Mailbox
I have a situation where one of our Admin Assistants is going to start sifting thru one of our executives email. What is the best way for this person to be able to see mailbox items? I would like to give this access via OWA only if possible and not neccessarily set it up on the client Outlook. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Which version of Exchange Server are you running? "mpallo" <mpallo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1CCFB8C2-E2EC-40B7-A5F2-27D37E856ABE@microsoft.com... >I have a situation where one of our Admin Assistants is going to st...

SQL Insert from Access
I have a query in access 2003 containing new patients that needs to be inserted into a SQL server 2005 table. This will be done once a month. ImportData contains the connection string. Can anyone finish the syntax or tell me a better way of doing this. Thanks in advance. Kurt =============================================================================================== Set cnn = New ADODB.Connection cnn.Open ImportData strSQL = "INSERT INTO dbo.tblPatients (PFirstName, PLastName, MedicalRecNumber,DOB,MRSNID,EmployeeID)" strSQL = strSQL & "SEL...

Accessing PST File from Multiple Partitions
The setup is a standard home Outlook 2003 configuration from an ISP's POP server. It has worked fine for years. I have the server configured to retain mail for a couple days, so that I can check the web interface from the office or from a laptop at the coffee shop even if the home machine is up and has pulled in Email, as it does every few minutes. Works fine. I recently put Windows 7 on the home machine, installing it on a separate partition. Eventually I would guess that it will be the standard OS on this machine, but for now it is experimental and the machine defaults to th...

Preventing Internet Access
How can I prevent users from going on the Internet through Outlook? Answered in the outlook.general newsgroup. Do NOT multipost! Multiposting; Posting the same message in different newsgroup separately. Crossposting; Posting one message addressed to several newsgroups Crossposting is better cause all the newsgroups will see all the responses where by Multiposting people won't see what is already suggested/solved in other newsgroups which is just a big waste of time for people who are trying to help them. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: ...

Microsoft 2007 Access
Please help. I am trying to convert my access from 2000 to 2007 and running into two problems so far. first is that i am told that the gotocontrol on a macro to go from a form to a subform is no longer available. what do i use? how do i get around this? second the field in my main table is called letter and is what is unique to all of my tables. when i try to access a client's info from a form that opens a clients subform - I am told that error 2538 has occured and that this letter field could refer to more than one table listed. and then error number 2950 appears. any ideas? ...

MS Access encountered an error ....
Hello, I can no longer use access. XP SP2 french, Office 2003 pro SP3 (access 11.8204.8172 SP3) I open the MDB file, this is OK. I can edit table columns too. But as soon as I try to edit data, this is wrong. The edit data window open, I have the navigation bar bottom and scroll bar. But the working space of the window is white. There is then some blinkings/display quirks in Access toolbar, and then I have the crash "Microsoft Office Access has encountered ..." AppName msaccess.exe ModName msaccess.exe. This also happens when I try to create a new database. I have remo...

access problem to MB
Hi, I have win 2000 server+exchange 2000. After re-enabled user account from AD(it was disabled for few weeks),i'm unable to access to the user mailbox. How can i access to the mailbox after re-enabled the account ? Thank's Giyora Was the mailbox deleted the same time the user was disabled? If so you will need to reconnect the mailbox. This is simple depending on your deleted mailbox retention policies. By default, deleted mailboxes are kept for 30 days. If a "few weeks" is less then 30 days and the mailbox store which this mailbox resides on is configured to use the defau...

Upgrade GP8 to 9 and multicurrency access
After upgrade databases, some users reporting about troubles. I check this and found error message while accessing to "Transaction -> Sales -> Sales transaction entry" menu item. Error message displayed "Your multicurrency registration status has changed. Please check links on the Mutlicurrency Setup table". For another databases error message different: "A functional currency does not exists for this company. Transaction cannot be entered." What I can do for error correcting? Thanks. PS Sorry for may be simple questions, but I only DBA and not very ...

new navigation control Access 2010beta
Hi everyone again, there is a new 'navigationbar' (correct translation?) control coming with access 2010 forms. Does anybody know how the 'Where-clause for navigation' property works? I thought it could be something like the Where-clause argument of the DoCmd.OpenForm procedure. So I added '[myField]<100' where myField is a field name in the target form. But nothing changes. The target form always shows all records unfiltered. Thanks, Lorenz "Lorenz H�lscher" <internet@software-dozent.de> wrote in message news:d1f4fde1-6cf2-46ee-974...

creating a search engine using microsoft access
I have queried this newsgroup trying to find any articles on this topic, but so far I have found anything very useful. Due to limitations on what I can install, I want to use what I already have installed in order to create a search engine that returns results from .doc's, xls's, ppt's, html's, etc. from specific folders. I figure this is something a few people have done, but I have yet to find any information on any previous efforts on this. Anyone got any suggestions on where to look or how to create a search engine like this? ...

Inability to access Windows Live Hotmail Using Outlook after June 30th
Hi: After reading Diane's post that Outlook would be able to access Live Hotmail after June 30th, I downloaded and installed the Outlook Connector. Are there any special quirks I should know about using Outlook Connector? The installation was quite quick and painless, I just wanted to make sure there was nothing else that had to be configured. Thanks for your reply! -- Check out the great stores listed here! Receive special offers! Visit http://driven.mysite.com "tempting2taanzaa" in <news:eXGSoQm2IHA.1240@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl> wrote: > Hi: > > Af...

How to import DATA from SQL2K to Access?
I am using get external data, import, ODBC type and it's error out saying I cannot use ODBC to import/export data. I would appreciate if someone please show me the better way of importing data from sql. Mehbs, Two ways. 1 - From SQL Server, use DTS to copy the data from the SQL Server table to the Access table. 2 - From Access, link your SQL Server table through ODBC and then use an append query to copy the data from the linked SQL Server table to your Access table. Good luck. -- Sco M.L. "Sco" Scofield, MCSD, MCP, MSS, A+, Access MVP 2001 - 2005 Denver Area Ac...

Analytical Accounting Account Access to multiple Dimensions
In Account Access to Transaction Dimension Codes window, we are able to assign dimension codes by specifying a particular account segment. Can we include the functionality to specifying using multiple account segments? Thanks. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message...

VBA
I would really appreciate any help. How can I open a second instance of access and require that be closed before the user can return to the first instance from which it was called? Thank you Hi Use a shell call with (after shell) docmd.quit on the 1st DB (or the 2nd if you want to go back to the 1st) - hope that makes sense. -- Wayne Manchester, England. "Programmer - wannaB" wrote: > I would really appreciate any help. > How can I open a second instance of access and require that be closed before > the user can return to the first instance from which it was call...

New to Access 03-05-08
I am new to access and would like to design a database that will automatically email certain documents when the count down reaches a designated number. "carlos24mar" <carlos24mar@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1FD00A4F-2FBB-4008-B8F8-44C05342B0FC@microsoft.com... > I am new to access and would like to design a database that will > automatically email certain documents when the count down reaches a > designated number. On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 09:00:01 -0800, carlos24mar <carlos24mar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am new to acc...