Counting Blanks in Non Numeric Fields

I am trying to see how many blank spaces employees leave when filling out a
particular form. These fields are generally non numeric, though there are a
few check boxes too. Is there an equation I can use in the report footer that
would add up the total number of blanks? The goal would be to use that
information and divide it by the total number of fields to produce a
percentage of complete forms.
Many thanks,
Caro

You'll need to decide what constitutes a "blank".

If someone enters something, then deletes it, is that a "blank"?

If someone skips past a field, is that a blank?

If someone tabs into a field and presses the spacebar, is that a blank
(looks like one to humans!)?

You could probably use code in a BeforeUpdate event for the form to check
for fields that had not been (?properly?) completed... but that's on a
one-by-one basis.

You could probably use a query against the table itself to count records
that had (your definition of) blanks in fields, any of the fields.

If you created another query that counted all records, you could calculate
total w/ any blanks divided by total.

Good luck!

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"caro" <caro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to see how many blank spaces employees leave when filling out a
> particular form. These fields are generally non numeric, though there are
> few check boxes too. Is there an equation I can use in the report footer
> that
> would add up the total number of blanks? The goal would be to use that
> information and divide it by the total number of fields to produce a
> percentage of complete forms.
> Many thanks,
> Caro

0
Jeff

Blank Subform
I have a form that is based off of a table and a subform that has list boxes of month and year. The information on the subform is saved to a table with a relationship to the table that has the saved information for the form. I can choose info in the subform but when I reopen it is blank. It is saved to the table but I would like it to show up each time the subform is opened. Please help. On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 09:38:01 -0700, cher <cher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a form that is based off of a table and a subform that has list boxes >of month and year. The i...

Adding a previously removed field to a form
Hi I have removed a field from the contact form (the state field) and want to re-add it. It does not show in the list of fields to add, presumably because CRM thinks that it is already on the form. How do I convert a field from a text field to a pick list? Does it require adding an entirely new field to the schema and using this field? Thanks Gill did you publish your change via deployment manager then do an iisreset command? "Gill Walker" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:064301c39d01$352f5b50$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hi > > I have...

Make the SmartList field 'Visible To' default to 'User ID'
I have several requests from clients that I train who want the SmartList field 'Visible To' to have the default 'User ID' rather than 'System'. The main reason is that users forget to change this option and then others are looking at their smartlists and sometimes delete them. Also, it would be good if we could have this as a security restriction so only particular users could create SmartLists for themselves and not be allowed to create them with the 'System', 'Company' or 'User Class' options. Thanks again. -- Microsoft Certified Train...

text in a cell in a numeric formula
Hi, If I'm adding say 4 cells, and one cell has text in it, is there a way to disregard the text and get the numeric total? I get a #value! error now. I can't ignore the cell because sometimes there are numbers in it. I could use shading, but I really need a text designator in the cell. Any way to do this would be appreciated. Thanks, --Randy Starkey Use the SUM function: A1 = 1 A2 = text A3 = 1 A4 = 1 =A1+A2+A3+A4 returns #VALUE! =SUM(A1:A4) returns 3 -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Randy Starkey" <randy.starkeyNOSPAM@NOSPAMvictorychurch.com> wrote in m...

Need to return "Blank" cell but NOT NA()
For my chart, I need to return the equivalent of a truly "blank" cell. The NA() function causes the graph to interpolate the missing point, whereas a blank cell causes the graph to plot nothing. I need to plot nothing. I'm using layered lines, one dashed and one solid, so that I can highlight interpolated points with a dashed style. Currently, I use a white line to mask the solid line that goes to "0" when the driving formula returns "" for the solid line. This works in 90% of situations, but there are some instances that are too complex (too man...

Date Field conundrum
I have two tables of data joined in a union query, each of the tables have an admit date and a birthdate field and the field type is date/time defined. I have placed the resulting query in a new query in an attempt to return only those records where the admit date and birthdate field are equal. I have tried a number of different criteria but no matter what I've tried I get data type mismatch etc type error messages. I have also tried using the resulting recordset in a new query and qualifying each of the fields with CDate but still cannot get a result without an error. I have t...

Report that calculates based on another field's criteria
I have created a report that shows our plant's production for each machine and each product made. We often run "Trial" products that are new developments on the machines. For each grade/machine I have a [Standard] production that the machine operator is expected to produce during his shift. Trials are an exception, because we don't know how much we should be producing since they are new products. I want my report to filter out all "Trial" products when calculating the [Total Production] and [% of Standard] achieved during a shift. How can I do this? ...

counting cells #4
What fromula do I use if I want a cell to count how many times a number (time) occurs in a range of cells. e.g. cells a1 a2 a3 a4 a5 0700-1600 0700-1200 1200-1600 0800-1100 1100-1500 If I wanted the formula to look for how many times 0700 and 0800 occured, the answer would be 3. Thanks in advance Jason This counts the 0700: =SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(A1:A5,4)="0700")) This counts 00700 and 0800 =SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(A1:A5,4)={"0700","0800"})) best wishes -- ...

After date entered, prefill another date field
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows how to get one field to populate the same datainto another field? In other words: I have a date field "Funding Date" and when the user enters the funding date, I want the txtDateFrom1 field to automatically populate with the same date so the user doesn't have to enter it twice. If possible, please let me know and also, please simplify answer. Thanks!!! Use the After Update event of the Funding Date control: Me.txtDateFrom1 = Me.FundingDate -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "Stockwell43" wrote: > Hello, > ...

counting rows
I have 100 rows in a column A which are numbered 1 -100 in numical order. After I filter a particular item in column B which results in 20 rows (and these 20 item were scattered throughout the column), I would like column A to show 1 - 20 in numerical order. Try this... Assume the data in column B is in the range B2:B1010 with B1 being the header. Enter this formula in A2 and copy down to A101: =SUBTOTAL(3,B$2:B2) -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Darryl" <Darryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89190AE3-6D26-4F2C-9C2D-51EB5312CB1D@mi...

multi line form field
I wish to create a field in a Word form that will enable me to use a drop down (or equivalent) to choose from a list of "Mailing Labels" which each include Name, Address, City, St, Zip. Using a drop down form field only allows me one line of information, and I need 3. -- Montana Laz If you had the address details stored as autotext entries, you could use the following code on exit from a DropDown type FormField to insert the address corresponding to the selected name (company in the case for which the following code was created) into a Text FormField on the followin...

Outlook 2003 Blank Subject Prompt ?
Is is possible to set Outlook 2003 to get a warning prompt whenever we send a mail with a blank subject ? ... Something like : The sujbect line is blank, are you sure you wanna send the message anyway ? Thanks, ...

How do I count odd numbers in a range?
Could someone please help me!!! I am trying to count how many odd and even numbers there in a range. I have tried to use the 'countif' , 'iseven' and 'isodd' formulas. However, I have been unsuccessful. Can someone please let me know if this can be done? Here's a formula from an older post by Peo Sjoblom that seems to do what you want: =SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(A1:A22,2)=1)) Adjust the range as necessary. tj "Rob" wrote: > Could someone please help me!!! > > I am trying to count how many odd and even numbers there in a range. I have > trie...

IM
Hi, I have a script set to add a "/C" against the document number if the record is a credit: If SourceFields ("Test seed purchase invoices- header.Document Type") = "INV" then CurrentField = SourceFields ("Test seed purchase invoices- header.Document Ref") Else CurrentField = SourceFields ("Test seed purchase invoices- header.Document Ref") & "/C" End if However I have now found that Document Ref might have a lower case character - I need to add code to set to upper case . Any help would be appreciated Jean -- JB If...

Email tracking to non CRM contacts
Hi, If you manually select 'Track in CRM' from the toolbar on an email, and the sender and recipent are NOT in CRM, where does the email get stored in CRM? I've tested this and done an advanced find, and found the email that has been sent in CRM, but as the sender and recipient are not found in CRM, where is the email allocated...? Is it in a queue somewhere...? I can;t seem to see where it has gone but it is in CRM for sure. Thanks for any guidance. Nik Hi Nik, the email should appear in the user's personal queue - either In Progress or Assigned - I can't remember...

Suppressing the Memo Field on Check Printing
Is there a setting on check printing that would not have the memo field print on checks, other than the solution to put everything in {} which requires manual intrevention on every check? Thanks, Steve No. But how did that require any more manual intervention than typing the memo in there in the first place? "Steve" <junkmail.t@comcast.com> wrote in message news:1817301c44a79$6bbd41c0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a setting on check printing that would not have > the memo field print on checks, other than the solution > to put everything in {} which requires man...

Counting a Range of Values
Who likes a challange? I have a workbook that has multiple worksheets. A number of th worksheets are identical and are used by multiple users to input thei own data. I need to extract a set number of rows from 2 of the column on each of these given sheets. To make matters more interesting, I onl want to extract the row if there is information in it. If the field i blank, leave it! I want these to be extracted into another worksheet i the same workbook. After I perform a calculation on each of these rows that were exported I will get a new column which will contain a time. (ie: 8:45) I ...

Get Picture from Access OLE Object Field
I am importing data from an Access database by opening a DAO recordset object. Transferring the text is easy. There are graphics (bmp/jpeg) stored in an OLE Object field that I need to programmatically “paste” into the workbook. Any ideas? -- terri ...

Form Fields in Word 07
How to I create a form field in Word 07? The only thing I can do is copy and paste from another document. First display the Developer tab: Office button | Word Options, Popular: "Show Developer tab in the Ribbon." Then use the Legacy Tools button on the Developer tab to insert the well known form fields. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP (Message posted via NNTP) "Katherine Leska" <Katherine Leska@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AE918B58-7CBF-4ACE-9B32-B17E6A69A25E@microsoft.com... > How to I create a form field in Word 07?...

Counting a date range
Hi. I'm used to operating in Access, but need to do some analysis in Excel because my users don't have Access. I have a worksheet called "Master" with a column called "Date of Referral". I've created a new worksheet called "Analysis" and want to count all the records for the month of October. Any ideas? Assuming REAL dates in column A. Do not use a:a =sumproduct((month(a2:a22)=10)*1) -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news...

Multiple fields for same type of values
Hi, I hope this can be done. I have a big data resource that has fields like this: Student Name Subject Question1category Question1subcategory Question1response Question2category Question2subcategory Question2response .... up to 60 questions. I'd like to create a query that looks simpler that I can really sort and report on, like this: Student Name Subject Question number Questioncategory Questionsubcategory Questionresponse Besides setting up 60 append queries (which wouldn't be dynamic), I'm not sure how to do this. Is there a way in Access 20...

Looking for date field that is empty
I am using Access 2003. I have a query in which I want to search for records that include a date field that is empty. I tried - isnull - but that did not work. I must be having a senior moment because for the life of me I can not think of how to search for records where the date field is empty. I am sure I have done this before but .... Can anyone help me? Thank you - aurora Aurora Open a query in design view. Add the table and the date field (plus any others you want to see). In the Selection Criterion under the date field, put: Is Null (or just type "Null"... A...

Creating email boxes for non users on the NT40 Server
Is there a manner in which I can create user mailboxes for non-user individuals. I have 25 outside individuals who have need for mailboxes on our NT4.0 Server. They will simply be receiving email which will be forwarded to their personal email boxes. I've purchased 25 CALs for Exchange. Do I need to purchase 25 CALs for NT40? if they never need to access the mailboxes, why don't you configure Custom Recipients, instead? "Lar" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1900f01c44cc5$74dec000$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a manner in which ...

How to Update Selections for (Numerous) Validation Lists
Dear Excel Experts: I have many validation lists which source can change frequently. How do I automatically update the validation lists every time the sources change? I got some lead from www.contextures.com (see below). But, it only helps when I have one validation list. Meanwhile, I have many lists. DV0022 - Update Validation Selections -- If you change an item in a data validation source list, the worksheet may show previously selected items. Event code can update the worksheet when you update the source list. DataValUpdate.zip 10kb Updated 07-Sep-11 Thanks in advanc...

Mailbox Store blank no selection
I am using Exchange 2000 but recently upgraded the management tools to that of exchange 2003 on xp workstation. I am unable to add an exchange account via mmc snap in (I can from the console or terminal services). When I go through the add user process, I add a name, a user logon name and then a password. Then it asks me as normal if I want to create an exchange account however the mailbox store option is blank and there is nothing to select. Any help is much appreciated! Did you run Exchange 2003 Forestprep? IIRC, one of the requirements of using the Exchange 2003 tools to a...