Choosing Report Format-Need advice

I asked this similar question a few days ago but received no response.  Is
there a way to change the properties when you’re using an AutoFormat for a
report?  I tried unsuccessfully to change the height of my alternating
background when I used an AutoFormat (I’m using Access 2007).  Is this the
“rule”?  I’m about to create several end-of-the-month reports that I plan to
pull each month and thought I’d ask before I started.  I’m also welcome to
any suggestions about AutoFormat vs. designing your own report.

Thank you for your input.

AccessKay wrote:

>I asked this similar question a few days ago but received no response.  Is
>there a way to change the properties when you�re using an AutoFormat for a
>report?  I tried unsuccessfully to change the height of my alternating
>background when I used an AutoFormat (I�m using Access 2007).  Is this the
>�rule�?  I�m about to create several end-of-the-month reports that I plan to
>pull each month and thought I�d ask before I started.  I�m also welcome to
>any suggestions about AutoFormat vs. designing your own report.

I don't use such things as AutoFormat or report wizards
because they are too limited.

Everything that can be done with a report can be done in
design view.

The height of your alternating colors is the height of the
detail section.  In design view you can adjust the height of
individual controls (text box, etc) and the height of the
sections (Detail, etc) to get the specific height you want.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

"Marshall Barton" wrote:

> AccessKay wrote:
>
> >I asked this similar question a few days ago but received no response.  Is
> >there a way to change the properties when you’re using an AutoFormat for a
> >report?  I tried unsuccessfully to change the height of my alternating
> >background when I used an AutoFormat (I’m using Access 2007).  Is this the
> >“rule”?  I’m about to create several end-of-the-month reports that I plan to
> >pull each month and thought I’d ask before I started.  I’m also welcome to
> >any suggestions about AutoFormat vs. designing your own report.
>
> I don't use such things as AutoFormat or report wizards
> because they are too limited.
>
> Everything that can be done with a report can be done in
> design view.
>
> The height of your alternating colors is the height of the
> detail section.  In design view you can adjust the height of
> individual controls (text box, etc) and the height of the
> sections (Detail, etc) to get the specific height you want.
>
> --
> Marsh
> MVP [MS Access]
> .

It's not a night and day decision.  There are times when
using a form/report wizard or whatever is convenient to get
things started.  But all the fine tuning and future changes
need to be done in design view.  After you get a fair amount
of experience in design view, you will likely find yourself
using the form/report wizards less and less.

I still use the query designer with or without a wizard's
help to get the general stuff for a query's SQL.  For simple
queries, that may be all you need, but for less simple
queries, switch to SQL view where all the features of
queries are available.
--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

AccessKay wrote:
>Thanks for your reply.  I suspected to hear this opinion.  I don't want to be
>limited and will take your advice to create my own.
>

>"Marshall Barton" wrote:
>> AccessKay wrote:
>> >I asked this similar question a few days ago but received no response.  Is
>> >there a way to change the properties when you�re using an AutoFormat for a
>> >report?  I tried unsuccessfully to change the height of my alternating
>> >background when I used an AutoFormat (I�m using Access 2007).  Is this the
>> >�rule�?  I�m about to create several end-of-the-month reports that I plan to
>> >pull each month and thought I�d ask before I started.  I�m also welcome to
>> >any suggestions about AutoFormat vs. designing your own report.
>>
>> I don't use such things as AutoFormat or report wizards
>> because they are too limited.
>>
>> Everything that can be done with a report can be done in
>> design view.
>>
>> The height of your alternating colors is the height of the
>> detail section.  In design view you can adjust the height of
>> individual controls (text box, etc) and the height of the
>> sections (Detail, etc) to get the specific height you want.
0
Marshall
5/10/2010 4:27:43 PM
Thanks for the additional input.  I understand what you’re saying.  I
appreciate you sharing your experience.

"Marshall Barton" wrote:

> It's not a night and day decision.  There are times when
> using a form/report wizard or whatever is convenient to get
> things started.  But all the fine tuning and future changes
> need to be done in design view.  After you get a fair amount
> of experience in design view, you will likely find yourself
> using the form/report wizards less and less.
>
> I still use the query designer with or without a wizard's
> help to get the general stuff for a query's SQL.  For simple
> queries, that may be all you need, but for less simple
> queries, switch to SQL view where all the features of
> queries are available.
> --
> Marsh
> MVP [MS Access]
>

> AccessKay wrote:
> >Thanks for your reply.  I suspected to hear this opinion.  I don't want to be
> >limited and will take your advice to create my own.

> >> I don't use such things as AutoFormat or report wizards
> >> because they are too limited.
> >>
> >> Everything that can be done with a report can be done in
> >> design view.
> >>
> >> The height of your alternating colors is the height of the
> >> detail section.  In design view you can adjust the height of
> >> individual controls (text box, etc) and the height of the
> >> sections (Detail, etc) to get the specific height you want.
> .

Smartist report for security
Hi Gang - GP 10 has a standard security report: administrator/reports/security/security task setup my boss wants this report in smartlist - any suggestions? We do have smartlist builder but I cant find the correct tables. Michael, I think you can make use of this script to create a view in SQL and then call it in smartlist builder that might help you to customize the security report in smartlist. This script is provided by Victoria on her blog, link below http://victoriayudin.com/2009/03/20/sql-view-with-security-resource-details-for-dynamics-gp-10/ -- Thanks Janakiram M.P. MCP-GP h...

format problem importing quicken files from Bank
Hi I have Money 2001 never used it until today. I am in Italy and my bank allows me to export bank statement in a quicken file. However when I import it into money - money misreads the format and takes the first punctuation mark as the decimal point. i.e. the amount euro 1.234,56 imports as 1,23 euro's instead of one thousand euros. My regional settings are set to italian with , being the decimal and . being a separator - however money takes the first , or . as the decimal Any ideas on how to fix this? regards Ski ...

format cell to allow listing
How do I make a list within a cell (when I press enter, it goes to the next cell below- is there any other way besides 'wrap text' and putting in spaces? To create a manual line break, use: <Alt> <Enter>. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "cy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1536c01c3fa2c$66a21870$a501280a@phx.gbl... How do I make a list within a cell (when I press enter, it goes to the...

custom currency format for Indian rupees
How to format a comma from the right of the decimal point in the third position, then 5th then 7th ie for Indian curency for Lakhs, Crores etc Here is a format that you can use [>=10000000]##\,##\,##\,##0.00;[>=100000]##\,##\,##0.00;##,##0.00 -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "seenu" <seenu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B95D00EB-F863-4453-AC46-9D40B40AEE6F@microsoft.com... > How to format a comma from the right of the decimal point in the third > position, then 5th then 7th ie for Indian curency for L...

Unrecognizable database format
I am attempting to convert an Access 97 Db to an Access 2000 Db. It seems to convert but when I try to launch the application I get an "unrecognizable database format" error. The computer has Windows XP as the operating system. Any suggestions? I've seen this error message when trying to open an Access database with an "older" version of Access. You didn't say which version of Access you are using on the WinXP machine, nor which version of Access you are using to do the conversion. -- More info, please ... Jeff Boyce <Access MVP> >-----Origin...

Keep conditional format when "show pages" from Pivot table
When I use "show pages" to drill down the data into pages from Pivot table, I find the conditional format on pivot table is missing. I have to make conditional format again to every page. How to keep the conditional formatting when I use "show pages" from pivot table? Maybe you could just apply Data|filter|autofilter to your original data range and filter to show what you need to see. Angus wrote: > > When I use "show pages" to drill down the data into pages from Pivot table, I > find the conditional format on pivot table is missing. I have to m...

Reporting services available for use with access?
I am building a DB in access for my project managers, some will be using just access. Is it possible that report builder can be used in Access? In some way? ...

How do I save an excel spreadsheet in pdf format (Office 2002)
I've done this before, but in a different environment. Not sure if I've forgotten how, or if it's not supported in this version. Thanks It has never been supported although there are add-ins that install printer drivers that will save as PDF primopdf is a free one then adobe acrobat (not the reader) has of course this and Office 12 will have it built in -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "Shaundee" <Shaundee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F09C8D8-1F35-491B-8A4C-781E57C35D53@microsoft.com... > I've done this b...

Help needed for a simple spreadsheet
I use MS office 2000, using excell to calculate costings, i would lik to simplyfy the way i use the spreadsheet to calculate costs but canno find out how to set up a basic database which will automatically link t the spreadsheet, any help would be gratefully appreciated. Using a simple 5 column spreadsheet i would like to set it up a follows. Column A - enter simple item code (upto 10 digits) which wil auto-complete after 3 digits and allow scrolling through similar code until the correct item is found, column C would then automatically b entered with the full item description and column D...

Date format with day of week and date
I have Excel 2003 and want to figure out how to format a cell where the date and day of week appear...i.e. Wed 10/19/2005 I know how to make the date formats change but cannot find one that offers both the date as well as the day of week...if there are no options for it, what is the format for customizing it to do this? Thanks! Kathy One way is to use a custom format DDDD M/DD/YYYY "Kathy" wrote: > I have Excel 2003 and want to figure out how to format a cell where the date > and day of week appear...i.e. Wed 10/19/2005 > > I know how to make the date format...

desparately need help
i installed the camera icon on the QAT last week and experimented with it. got the message "The picture is too large and will be truncated". Now i get that message on every file and every time a enter something in a cell. i have removed the camera icon and have re-booted but am still having trouble. thanks in advance -- aprilshowers ...

Need help with collection serialization
Can some Please tell me why the following collection is not XML Serializable: Imports System.Xml Imports System.Runtime.Serialization Namespace MyNamespace <Serializable()> Public Class SpecialResult Private m_SpecialID As Integer Private m_Description As String Private m_Adjustment As Decimal Public Property SpecialID() As Integer Get Return m_SpecialID End Get Set(ByVal Value As Integer) m_SpecialID = Value End Set End Property Public Property Description(...

Reports created in Access 2003
When we upgraded to 2007 all the reports that had been created in 2003 were no longer on the toolbar at the top of the screen and I can't find them anywhere. Help. ...

numbers formating problem
I type 10 I got 1 I type 11 I got 1.1 Where from this problem cames? This is not a formatting problem, the value is what you see; 1, not 10. Tools > Options menu, "fixed decimal" is selected. HTH. Best wishes Harald "barsha" <barsha@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:A62D8395-FD84-40F3-A867-B391D5956A57@microsoft.com... > I type 10 > I got 1 > I type 11 > I got 1.1 > Where from this problem cames? > Hi Barsha, Try: Tools | Options | Edit and uncheck the fixed decimal option. --- Regards, Norman "barsha" <...

A pal needs help on this site
A pal needs help on this site greetings fellow newsgroupers. I recently found a site called Microsoft Forums. In a very short time I became very known to the site and its an excellent tool. This guy who runs it is good too but needs a helping hand. Please do me a favor and check it out at http://www.msforums.org/ Categories are like Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Gaming, Servers, Developer and so on. Thanks to everyone. MDO Pro -- I go to Microsoft Forums, do you? http://www.msforums.org/ ...

Help needed with mail returned as possible spam
We have about 10 computers using Bellsouth DSL service, with Bellsouth hosting our domain. Our Outlook clients are set up for POP3/SMTP using mail.ourdomain.com. A few days ago, we began having email problems, especially when we try to send emails to each other. The returned emails say they are being rejected by the mailserver as possible spam. One of the returned emails said "Host blacklisted in sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org.swh.bellsouth.net." It then identified our public IP address. However, that IP address does not show as blacklisted on the spamhaus.org website. I rectifie...

Need help merging two Worksheet_Change modules #2
Thanks Dave, this is almost exactly what I want! The only thing I nee in the module now is that when they try to delete a validated cell an the INVALID appears, I want the cursor to return to that cell to forc them to select from the list - at the moment they can continue leavin INVALID as the value. Perhaps a message box telling them what the have done wrong would also be useful? Thanks in advance Fuzz -- fuzzyfrea ----------------------------------------------------------------------- fuzzyfreak's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1465 View thi...

Formatting excel, balloons?
I have data exported to and excel spreadsheet. It looks very messy. There are rows that have a small amount of text at the beginning, but at the end there is a large amount to text in the cells. The column width at the beginning is huge, and there's only a couple words there. My question is, is there any way to make this look nicer? I was thinking about putting a balloon that would contain a cell's text that has a lot of info. I don't even know if you can create balloons, but any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you Brad ...

Decimal numbers to time format.
Hi there, I'm sure this is a simple one for you guys but I'm not having fun trying to get to the bottom of it. I have two cells: A1 - contains 47 (formatted as 'number to two decimal places') B1 - contains 12 (formatted as 'number to two decimal places') I have other cells formatted for time as [hh]:mm:ss How can I fill C1 with 00:47:12 (formatted as [hh]:mm:ss) - with the 47 and 12 being pulled from A1 & B1 Cheers Lee On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 12:21:54 -0000, "Lee Grant" <lee@inspirationcomputers.com> wrote: >Hi there, > >I'm sur...

Text style and format
Hello, I'm presently using Pub2002 and would like to be able to create a text box with an up or down arc using any font I like. I tried using wordart but I don't like that option because you can't change the font. Any ideas? I don't know which version of 2002 you are using but I can change the font with mine. Select the style of Wordart you want and click OK. It will open a dialog box where you can edit the text, font, and font size. (I had to rewrite this because my first response was less than friendly. It upsets me when people don't at least *try* something befor...

address list in excel need to get into outlook contacts
I am trying to get a spreadsheet full of contacts into outlook and outlook is not recognizing even after mapping. is ther a certain way to do the spreadsheet to get outlook to import correctly? You might try looking here: Microsoft.public.outlook Microsoft.public.outlook.contacts Microsoft.public.outlook.general Ed "mark odom" <metalroofing@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:042a01c3b23a$80f282d0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I am trying to get a spreadsheet full of contacts into > outlook and outlook is not recognizing even after > mapping. is ther a certain w...

Sent as RTF format, Receiced as Plain Text. Why?
I am using Access to send Emails in RTF format The relevant code is With oItem 'Set the recipient for the new email .BCC = MailToStg '.BCC = "phil@stantonfamily.co.uk" 'Set the recipient for a copy .CC = "" 'Set the subject .Subject = Subject 'The content of the document is used as the body for the email ' *** Make sure Outlook -->Options --> Mail Format is set to RTF .Body = rtf.RTFtext .Send End With The Sent message appears correctly as RTF ( c...

Deferral Reports showing only current information
I have a client that has been using revenue referrals for years - the usual time frame is 6 -12 months. Is there a way to get reports that only show what is current for the current period? The report right now is over 1000 pages - most of which is not current information (the deferral periods are old) and it takes a long time to generate just to get to a bottom number. This makes no sense - but GP support only wants to turn me over to their consulting division to charge me for a custom report - ridiculous - it should have always been an open to not show fully recognized revenue - leavi...

need a refresher: text boxes on charts that use relational formulas?
I could have sworn that a long time ago, I set up one or more text boxes on a graph that had formulas in them, so the text that was showing would automatically change each month. I'm now using Win2000/XL2003, and not having much luck- I want to put my legend on the bottom, then a text box under it where I will show 3 values (one for each legend item) to provide some additional information on the graph. I have too many graphs to do this and have to update it all manually. What is the best approach to use, to link the contents of my text box (or similar) to the contents of a cell that on m...

need help with formula #2
how to write a formula? if cell =>24 multiple by 22. if cell is <24, multiply 24 by 22, multiply difference by 33 add together -- Kerri Where do I find the difference "Kerri Olsen" wrote: > how to write a formula? > if cell =>24 multiple by 22. if cell is <24, multiply 24 by 22, multiply > difference by 33 add together > -- > Kerri See Help for "IF worksheet function" I can't be more specific without a better description of the alternative calculations. Jerry "Kerri Olsen" wrote: > how to write a formula? > if cell ...