Charting various times. Help!!

Hi there.

I currently have a table which I have run a query on that tables like this

Date.                Target time. Time achieved. Diff.
hh/mm/yyyy        hh:mm           hh:mm          n

I have worked out how to chart the 'Diff' column as this is in number format.
However when I try and throw in the actual times into a chart I get a chart
containing values from 0 through to 0.8??

I have set my format as 'short time' in both the query and the table but to
no avail.

I have searched everywhere and cannot find an answer. All I want is a chart
with the 'target time' as a fixed line and the 'Time achieved' as a timeline
running from left to right. Using the date along the bottom as a reference.

Any ideas??

juxey2000

Hi,

     If you are only subtracting the times that would make sense.  Try using
the DateDiff() function.  Use the following for the difference in minutes:

Diff: DateDiff("n", [Target time], [Time achieved])

           Clifford Bass

juxey2000 wrote:
>Hi there.
>
>I currently have a table which I have run a query on that tables like this
>
>Date.                Target time. Time achieved. Diff.
>hh/mm/yyyy        hh:mm           hh:mm          n
>
>I have worked out how to chart the 'Diff' column as this is in number format.
>However when I try and throw in the actual times into a chart I get a chart
>containing values from 0 through to 0.8??
>
>I have set my format as 'short time' in both the query and the table but to
>no avail.
>
>I have searched everywhere and cannot find an answer. All I want is a chart
>with the 'target time' as a fixed line and the 'Time achieved' as a timeline
>running from left to right. Using the date along the bottom as a reference.
>
>Any ideas??

Clifford
1/15/2010 7:44:05 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply but I have already done that in my query and can
produce a chart for the difference between thee two times already. I was just
hoping to ba abke to plot the target verses actual times on a chart as either
two lines or as bars with the time value along the left axis and the date
along the bottom?

I'm assuming the pivot chart is taking my 'times' from the table and
converting them into some sort of numerical format??

Clifford Bass wrote:
>Hi,
>
>     If you are only subtracting the times that would make sense.  Try using
>the DateDiff() function.  Use the following for the difference in minutes:
>
>Diff: DateDiff("n", [Target time], [Time achieved])
>
>           Clifford Bass
>
>>Hi there.
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]
>>
>>Any ideas??

juxey2000
1/15/2010 8:07:57 PM
Hi,

     Sorry, I did not read your original question correctly.  I am not an
expert on charting.  So try this:  On the chart property sheet set the Y
axis's (Value Axis 1) number format to be short time.  Set a custom scale
from 0 to 1.

     Hopefully that will do the trick.

                Clifford Bass

juxey2000 wrote:
>Thanks for the prompt reply but I have already done that in my query and can
>produce a chart for the difference between thee two times already. I was just
>hoping to ba abke to plot the target verses actual times on a chart as either
>two lines or as bars with the time value along the left axis and the date
>along the bottom?
>
>I'm assuming the pivot chart is taking my 'times' from the table and
>converting them into some sort of numerical format??

Clifford
1/15/2010 8:34:50 PM
Clifford you are a legend!!! I knew it was easy because no-one had asked the
question.lol. Back to access school for me!!

Many MANY thanks.

Alan

Clifford Bass wrote:
>Hi,
>
>     Sorry, I did not read your original question correctly.  I am not an
>expert on charting.  So try this:  On the chart property sheet set the Y
>axis's (Value Axis 1) number format to be short time.  Set a custom scale
>from 0 to 1.
>
>     Hopefully that will do the trick.
>
>                Clifford Bass
>
>>Thanks for the prompt reply but I have already done that in my query and can
>>produce a chart for the difference between thee two times already. I was just
>[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]
>>I'm assuming the pivot chart is taking my 'times' from the table and
>>converting them into some sort of numerical format??

juxey2000
1/15/2010 8:42:40 PM
Hi Alan,

     Good to hear it worked.  You are welcome!

                Clifford Bass

juxey2000 wrote:
>Clifford you are a legend!!! I knew it was easy because no-one had asked the
>question.lol. Back to access school for me!!
>
>Many MANY thanks.
>
>Alan

Clifford

Need help with this problem
Hello, I need a hand with the following problem as I have not used Excel fo quite a while. --------There are 4 categories of goods - A,B,C,D --------Each category has 100 goods/supplies that range in price fro $4.00 -$26.00(cents are inclusive: ie - one particular item in categor A costs $15.41) --------A certain # of goods must be chosen from each category a follows: A - 3 B - 4 C - 3 D - ONLY 1 ITEM IS NEEDED FROM THIS CATEGORY. HERE IS THE TRICKY PART: A buyer must select the exact number of goods required from eac category and the total cost of all 11 chosen goods cannot exceed $100.0...

scatter chart insists on plotting as a line chart
Excel 2003: had 2002 version. Data plotted correctly. Next time I opened file, data displayed as a series rather than a scatter chart, though the data range fields for x and y coordinates display the proper ranges. Tried rearranging my data into adjacent columns, creating new charts and ranges, upgrading to 2003 Excel, changing chart into other types and back again...am I missing a primary concept? ...

Scatter chart for real-time tracking of a single cell value ?
Hi. I use Excel 2003. On a spreadsheet connected to a DDE data feed, I have a cell containing an integer number that updates and changes constantly during the day. I would like to chart the number in that cell in real-time second by second between certain hours of the day. I have been told that it may be possible to use a scatter chart to do this but I have not been able to make it work or to find useful help files. It seems to me that the problem has to do with charting a single cell rather than a range but I'm not sure. Any practical advice or pointer to a "how-to" web site w...

Help needed with a formula
I am trying to get some values from a different workbook into my sheet. The formula I am using is simple, like this: ='I:\ORKUN\Konya\Istatistik\[BINASAYIMI(Balikesir Gemlik vs).xls]2'!$D$59 what I want to do is to keep column numbers (i.e D) in this formula, but to able to change the row number dynamic. For example I want to point this number in a cell, so whatever I write into that cell will become row number in the formula. Is there a simple way? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages direc...

chart/worksheet/macro interaction
I am running a macro which simulates an engineering application. Th macro essentially time steps, sending the data at each time step to worksheet, and a chart is set up to display the data in graphica form. Problem - although the worksheet is updated at each time step, th chart only updates when the maacro has finished executing - and I wan to see the data being graphed as the simulation proceeds - is ther anyway of the macro asking EXCEL if it has finished updating a grap before proceeding to the next calculation? (At the moment the only wa I can do this is to put a STOP in the code loop.)...

Help...Forgot my Password
Is there anyway I can find my password on a spreadsheet I developed for the family finances. I'm getting old and I can't remember it. I've tried several that I usually use with no luck. No, I'm not trying to get into someone else's file, just don't want to have to rebuild it again. Thought maybe it might be hidden in the registry, etc ? Thanks in advance for the help ! If you google for "password cracker" you'll find a number of software that will do just that. It does demonstrate the futility of password protecting Excel and Word files. Reg...

Simple chart
On my excel worksheet, I have two columns. In column A1 I have the title "YEAR" followed by various years like 1994, 1995, etc, and in B1 I have the title "AVERAGE", followed by values for each year. I highlight A1:B12 and do the chart wizzard and get a bar chart which spreads the value of both year and averages. The X axis is just a consecutive number and the y axis spreads the values of years and averages. What I want is a chart where the X axis to displays the years from the A column and the Y axis to displays the numbers from the B column. How do I do this? Tha...

Outlook 2002 Backup Help Please
I'm planning to reformat my hard drive this weekend, and want to know the best way to backup my Outlook 2002 data. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks You could use Outlook 2000/2002 Add-in : Personal Folder Backup privided by Microsoft : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=8B081F3A-B7D0-4B16-B8AF-5A6322F4FD01&displaylang=en Also, you can find some tutorial here : http://www.sitedeveloper.ws/tutorials/outlook.htm Regards, Cristian "David White" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:eY4btDfCFHA.956@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I&#...

report writing help
I have a report for a custom entity, but the report brings in everything... How can i set in the report to only show what is valid... IE custom entity is selected on run report on this record? so i only get the information for the particular record selected? without using edit query? If you are using the filtered views and prefixes in your queries as described in the SDK, once you upload the report to CRM you can edit the CRM Report properties and tell it which record types the report is associated with, then select that you want it to be visible in the reports area, lists for asso...

Running Total Chart question
I can create a chart that shows a running total of scores if I put them in a column, but would link to do this with the scores across a row. However, if I do this and pick a Line graph, I get a line that just shows peaks and troughs rather than a steady running total. Example data Player A 5 6 2 1 0 2 4 5 (The last cell is then the Total score over the season - a SUM of the values, but not needed on the chart) So rather than the Graph's Y Axis showing a range of 0 to 8, it should show 0 to whatever the Total is, and the X axis will be number of matches. The line I want is one t...

Outlook 2003
Hello All, Environment: Running Outlook 2003 on WinXP standalone machine - all patches applied; installed for about 5 months. AVG virus scanner in place updated daily, scanned daily (did have trojan DIALER, DOWNLOADER.ISTBAR.V a month ago but after cleaning out; everything has been fine until 4 days ago) - whats changed ahhh nothing. Have run TrendMicro online Virus check, Spybot - nothing. Error: Opening Outlook produces this message almost every time Outlook is started, even after a reboot:: ""Outlook failed to start correctly last time. Starting Outloo...

Dates appear wrong in my chart
I have a bar chart I have created from a table. I want the x axis to be the dates shown in the table. currently 11/01/2007, 11/01/2006, etc. They appear in the chart as 01/01/2007, 01/01/2006, etc. If I change the formatting in the chart from date to number than the dates in the chart appear 11/01/2007, 11/01/2006, etc. How do I get both the table and the chart to display the correct date? Has anyone experienced a simliar problem? I have a bar chart I have created from a table. I want the x axis to be the dates shown in the table. currently 11/01/2007, 11/01/2006, etc. They appea...

Text Box Help/ideas
I have a text box where I insert text based on a button control using the code below. Is it possible to insert data in a table format in the helpwindow text box. Also, am I limited to 255 charachters and is it possible to wrap the test in the VBA code line HelpWindow.Text = "this.........." with a space and underscore like in a message box. Private Sub Help1_Click() HelpWindow.SetFocus HelpWindow.Text = "this is the text that will appear in the HelpWindow when the help1 button is clicked" End Sub "Steve Stad" <SteveStad@discussions.micros...

Problems creating dynamic chart in Excel 2007
Hi I am trying to create a dynamic line chart for my home accounts in Excel 2007 SP1. I have data entered horizontally by month in a sheet called "Savings". I have created named ranges as follows: for the X axis labels: chtsavings_label=OFFSET(Savings!$C$5,,,1,COUNTA(Savings!$C$5:$DQ$5))-1 This is the month title row. The -1 is because the last column is an average which I do not want to plot then for each account there is a row with data and I create a named range like: chtsavings_acct1_data=OFFSET(chtsavings_label,1,0) I then try to use these values in the chart via se...

MFC visual C++ help
Hi, I am new to visual C++. I created a simple application in visual C++ (visual studio 5) to load the bitmap from a file and display it in my application. However when i try to do the following: * Go to a directory of bitmaps * Select a bitmap * Right click and and do Open With * Choose MyApp It doesn't display the bitmap in my application. I created my application as a single document in MFC where my classes inherit from CScrollView. How do i pass the application parameters (ie., bitmap name etc) to the OnDraw function. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Hi, > appl...

Help Needed for fixing a problem in Windows XP Professional.
Hi, We have a Intel Dual processor system with windows XP professional version 2002, I have noticed that if I minimize a application which is already running or if I open another application the system terminates the process immediately. for example ,I have an display system attached to my system, using an application I Drive some values, until I open another application the value is displayed. At that point in time if I open a note pad or word document or any other application the display system stops working immediately, meaning opening of a application terminates the processing...

WHAT IS THE MAXIMUM NUMBER OF E-MAILS I CAN SEND AT A TIME
Hello Can you please help me determine how many e-mails we can send at a time using an exchange server 2003 standard (SBS standard). can all the receipients be in one mailing list etc.. thank you in advance Kas Can all Recipients be in one mailing list on SBS? Given the number of users SBS is limited to, I don't see why not. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "KAS" <kas3arak@aol.com> wrote in message news:1154125036.905617.230270@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com.....

Probelm with my organization chart
I created a huge organizational chart for my company and now every i right click on one of the managers to show his subordinates it does not do anything !!! i tried to do a re-layout but it said "add organization chart shapes to your drawing" it is not doing any of the organiztion chart properties ... how can i solve it. ... please help ! ...

how do you convert charts into high quality tiff files?
I have to convert a seies of charts into a tiff file for a research artcile. I have tried it on power point and then save as tiff but the rersulting quality of the image is horrendous, any tips anyone? You could try exporting the chart using VBA: ActiveChart.Export ActiveWorkbook.Path & "\Chart1.tif", "TIF" I don't know if it is any improvement over PowerPoint, and bitmapped charts are limited to screen resolution. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "ignacio" <ignaci...

Help with sorting needed
Hi, deserately need your help, I have this huge files that have lists and on those lists some items begin with a letter and other begin with an asterisk, like this: first sentence *first sentence second sentence *second sentence third sentence *third sentence I would like to move all the items that begin with an asterisk to the end of the list without any additional sorting, I mean the sentences shouldn't be further sorted by letters, like this: first sentence second sentence third sentence *first sentence *second sentence *third sentence I hope somebody will help ...

Stack and Cluster Column Chart Type
Is it possible to chart various lines in cluster column chart type and also have a bar using the stacked method? Thank You for your help. Michael28 wrote: >Is it possible to chart various bars in cluster column chart type and also >have a bar using the stacked method? > >Thank You for your help. Hi, Links to examples can be found here, http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html Cheers Andy Michael28 wrote: > Is it possible to chart various lines in cluster column chart type and also > have a bar using the stacked method? > > Thank You for your h...

I Need Help! Asap.
I am trying to create a quote sheet. I have located similar information however it doesn't make sense. tried to used nested IF statements but the limit of 7 doesn't work ou very well. Then I tried to explore Macros but I have no idea how thos work. So I really need some help. Right now I have three things. Amount of Users - Cost Based on the amount of users, it produces a cost associated. 1 = 10 2 = 15 3 = 20 4 = 30 5 = 40 6 = 55 7 = 60 8 = 70 ..... 40 = XXX and so on. Prices are fictional however I need it to pull the amount of users an produce teh cost associated with it --...

How to include space in directory path for launching help in a MFC program
Hi, I have a MFC program. I have a help file (.chm) which I launch when the user clicks on Help option. It works fine if I put the .chm file in a directory path which has no spaces. However, I do want to put this file under "Program Files\....." If I put under this directory path, it won't find the .chm file and the help will not launch. How do I include a space in the directory path ? Thanks, _SK SK a =E9crit : > Hi, >=20 > I have a MFC program. I have a help file (.chm) which I launch when > the user clicks on Help option. It works fine if I put the .chm ...

Exporting date time information
When exporting a folder to a text file, how can I include the date and time information of the messages? Any hints are greatly appreciated. WOlfgang Exporting (and importing) will always lose the received times when they are opened in Outlook. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding not answer: Dr. Wolfgang Hintze <weh@snafu.de> asked: | When exporting a folder to a text file, how can I include the date and | time information of the messages? | | Any hints are greatly appreciated...

cross linking excel files
ok, there is a nut that i cant break. I have 2-3 excel files that need to be linked. File M (master) contains multiple worksheets, of all sorts of data, its the master file for my files File L, is a lookup file im creating for better usage, its used for dumping data from msproject and reformat some stuff. It has only one sheet of relevance. File S, the summary file is the thing i need help with, it is linked to both files and is used to create monthly summarys. In that file i am using a lot SUMIF elements like: SUMIF ([file M]sheet1!A1:A30;B8;[file M]sheet1!D1:D30) Now the thing is: Th...