What does & ", " & means ?

I found this query in the Northwind sample database.

SELECT Employees.EmployeeID, [LastName] & ", " & [FirstName] AS ReportsTo
FROM Employees
ORDER BY Employees.LastName, Employees.FirstName;

I do not know, in the first line, what & ", " & means ??

Someone who can help me with this one ?

--
My Photo Gallery.
www.photo.box2600.dk

[LastName] & ", " & [FirstName]

this takes two fields [LastName] and [FirstName] and combines them
into one field with a comma seperating them.

So:
[FirstName] = "Jason"
[LastName] = "Lepack"
[LastName] & ", " & [FirstName] = "Lepack, Jason"

Cheers,
Jason Lepack

On Jun 21, 8:02 am, SpookiePower <boxjunk2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I found this query in the Northwind sample database.
>
> SELECT Employees.EmployeeID, [LastName] & ", " & [FirstName] AS ReportsTo
> FROM Employees
> ORDER BY Employees.LastName, Employees.FirstName;
>
> I do not know, in the first line, what & ", " & means ??
>
> Someone who can help me with this one ?
>
> --
> My Photo Gallery.www.photo.box2600.dk

0
Jason
6/21/2007 12:13:16 PM
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:02:47 +0200, SpookiePower <boxjunk2600@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I do not know, in the first line, what & ", " & means ??

Any string surrounded by quotemarks is just a literal text string - in this
case, a comma followed by a blank. If you had "Spookie" it would be the
literal text string Spookie.

The & operator concatenates two strings, just like the + operator adds two
numbers.

So if FirstName is John, and LastName is Vinson, the expression would
concatenate three pieces of text - the last name, a literal text string, and
the firstname - to give

Vinson, John

as the result.

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
6/21/2007 5:57:04 PM
Thanks a lot all of you :)
0
SpookiePower

What does & ", " & means ?
I found this query in the Northwind sample database. SELECT Employees.EmployeeID, [LastName] & ", " & [FirstName] AS ReportsTo FROM Employees ORDER BY Employees.LastName, Employees.FirstName; I do not know, in the first line, what & ", " & means ?? Someone who can help me with this one ? -- My Photo Gallery. www.photo.box2600.dk [LastName] & ", " & [FirstName] this takes two fields [LastName] and [FirstName] and combines them into one field with a comma seperating them. So: [FirstName] = "Jason" [LastName] = "Lepack&qu...

Break Even, Time to Value, IRR, What do all these things mean?!?
I'm having trouble searching for this, because I am not sure what to call it. What I have is two different solutions that will cost me money. One of them has a higher cost up front, but a lower monthly cost, and the other has a lower cost up front, but higher monthly cost. What I'm interested in knowing is what the break even point is. Where do they intersect. If I choose the initially more costly solution, how many months (days, years, whatever) must I use it before it is a better overall choice over the other? For example. Solution A costs $60/month, and $368 up front. Soluti...

What does the program return value mean, for example 0(0x0) or 2 (0x2), when debug a program?
What does the program return value mean, for example 0(0x0) or 2 (0x2), when debug a program? -- ___________________ Xiongjun Xia It's what WinMain (or main) returns. -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] "Xia Xiongjun" <xj-14@126.com> wrote in message news:%23wHd$78tFHA.2392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > What does the program return value mean, for example 0(0x0) or 2 (0x2), > when debug a program? > > -- > ___________________ > Xiongjun Xia > Think of these as random numbers. That way you won't be misled into thinking they have any significanc...

what does "tape free tape is not available"mean ?, DPM2010RC
I have one protection group, and a standalone HP LTO1 tape drive which has a raw capacity of 100GB. I do not use tape co-location and compression is turned on in DPM. Since the tapes were used in an older DPM installation, I mark each one free before backup (the tape label becomes "Free (contains data)". So every day, DPM writes about 60GB to the tape and then warns "tape free tape is not available...", and tape backup fails without writing the last part of the protection group. I expect that a (so-called) 100GB tape should hold more than 60GB, especially wi...

Reviewing the formula =+AD11/$Z$20, what does it mean?
Reviewing excel spreadsheet, what function is being formed by the following formula =+AD11/$Z$20 perform i.e, what does it mean? It is dividing the value in cell AD11 by the value in cell Z20. The $'s around the Z20 mean that if you drag or copy that formula to another cell, the reference of AD11 will change but Z20 will remain (an absolute reference). -- Regards, Dave "lance559" wrote: > Reviewing excel spreadsheet, what function is being formed by the following > formula =+AD11/$Z$20 perform i.e, what does it mean? This could also be written without the &q...

mean, median, mode, standard diviation
Is there a way to display mean, median, mode, standard diviation automatically on a graph in excel? Hi, Not automatically but you can construct it. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/RunChtLines.html Cheers Andy Kathi wrote: > Is there a way to display mean, median, mode, standard diviation > automatically on a graph in excel? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info Any values that you calculate on a spreadsheet can be added as new series to a chart. If you are asking whether this is one button that will insert all the calculation formulae into your spr...

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life: no one can come to the Father(God)(in Heaven), but by me." (John 14:6) This means that if you die without trusting in Jesus Christ as your Lord and S
http://www.gotquestions.org/sinners-prayer.html << I saw this site on a search directory. Great Resource! ...

What does Microsoft Project Levels 1, 2, 3, 4, schedules mean?
I'm a MSP new user and I want a detailed explanation to the following questions: What is MS Project 'Level 1' schedule? What is MS Project 'Level 2' schedule? What is MS Project 'Level 3' schedule? and What is MS Project 'Level 4' schedule? AFAIK, I never heard of such nomenclature in the context of the product as provided by Microsoft. Are these words used on your project? Where did you see these words written, or who uses them? --rms www.rmschneider.com On 03/01/10 07:30, Alfred wrote: > I'm a MSP new user and I want ...

I just know it because I have spent the last three months compiling my luxury gift list and distributing it to the people that can afford it. (I mean care, the people that care!)
I just know it because I have spent the last three months compiling my luxury gift list and distributing it to the people that can afford it. (I mean care, the people that care!) It's really not much to ask, is it? I mean, what's the point in a Christmas present just for the sake of it. I might end up with one of those tacky ornaments from a department store or, the ultimate nightmare, a catalogue store watch! A catalogue store anything - oh lord save me http://www.watchec.com Swiss Rolex Watches Mens Rolex Watches Ladies Rolex Watches A.lange & Sohne Watches Alain Silberstein Wat...

Error Message, what does this mean?
Every time I open Outlook (2003) I get a box - Fatal Error Can not clean temporary directory I click on OK and from then on, everything works just fine. I just started getting this. Haven't installed anything new. The only thing that is different from when I was NOT getting this, is that I was away for a long weekend so away from my broadband. I was using dialup instead (connected via dialup and THEN opened Outlook and did send/receive, so didn't have to change any Outlook settings). When I got back home, back to broadband, this is when this error started happening. So, what temporar...

Would like a basic lesson, please, in what these Email types mean and how they are used in AD
We use Active Directory on a Windows 2000 Server domain (native mode). We use MS Exchange Server 2000 for our email/collaboration. She is trying to use the GroupWise client, and connected to a GW server, outside of our network, to do her email, check other managers' calendars, etc. She can send and receive Internet email just fine. She can send and receive email at this wider network just fine. She can send email to me (within our network), but any email I send to her, or any email she sends to me and I reply to, never gets to her. The funny thing is that we never get any "undel...

I'm not sure what my OWA error means, the MS site is no help.
Hello, I am running Exchange 5.5 on an NT4.0 sp6a network. I have on Win2k server acting as an OWA server and Tape Backup server. Our old OWA server had the came O/S and configuration, and it worked. But now when I install OWA I get this error after entering the name if the Exchange 5.5 server. " Microsoft Exchange Server Setup The Microsoft Exchange System Attendant Service is unavalible ID no: c1031668" What I wont to know is, who's system attendant is it looking for, the OWA(which lacks this service) server's or the Exchange server's? We just got the Win2k ser...

How to chart a bell curve with x, mean, standard deviation, cumula
Trying to chart a bell curve in Excel to help my wife with a statistics course required for a BSN in nursing. Here is the problem: Using excel, the values would be x=5.5, mean=1.88, standard deviation=1.20, cum.=true. The answer is 0.9987 which equals 99.87%. Now I need to know how to graph it. I have the formula =NORMDIST(B2,$F$1,$H$1,TRUE) using X in B2, the mean in F1 and the standard deviation in H1. I need step by step instructions. Thanks ahead of time for any help. kujhac - (1) If you do a web search for "Excel normal curve" or "excel bell curve...

what is meaning of SetIcon(m_hIcon, TRUE)
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0097_01C34AEA.0F9A9EE0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="big5" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Dear all, After running the MFC wizard of VC++, the class of OnInitDialog() = consists of the following statements, SetIcon(m_hIcon, TRUE); // Set big icon SetIcon(m_hIcon, FALSE); // Set small icon Large and small icon represents two resolutions, 32 and 16 respectively. = Why do such two statements coexist? When running the program, which kind = of resolution does the icon have? Regards, Simon -----...

what does "you can only type in a text box, table mean?
I can't type on the calendar that I made, the message that comes up says, "you can only type in a text box, table, and certain shapes". I could type in it yesterday, so I don't understand! Please help! LA LA <LA@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I can't type on the calendar that I made, the message that comes up > says, "you can only type in a text box, table, and certain shapes". > I could type in it yesterday, so I don't understand! Please help! This emssage appears when you don't have an object selec...

Mean, Median, Mode
Is there anyway to plot the Mean, Median and Mode on the graphs that I have produced? If not can someone recommend some software that will allow me to take my excel data and do what I want? THANKS IN ADVANCE. If you can compute it, you can plot it. How do you want to plot these values? To put a line at a given point along an axis, try one of these techniques: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ R Doornbosch wrote: > Is there anyway...

What does the [Group] designation mean, next to my filename?
I cannot find why this [Group] designation appears next my filename? Seems to be disallownig me to change print areas, and other settings?? You have more than one sheet selected. Right click any sheet, and if available, select the "Ungroup sheets" option. -- Regards Juan Pablo Gonz´┐Żlez "chise@nwbo.com" <chise@nwbo.com@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1C0785F9-0EF4-42A4-B9DC-508B26688776@microsoft.com... > I cannot find why this [Group] designation appears next my filename? Seems > to be disallownig me to change print areas, and other sett...

On the "READY" bar, what does NUM mean?
On the "READY" bar, what does NUM mean? It means that you've pressed the Num Lock key on the keyboard, to turn it on. There's usually a light on the keyboard too, to indicate that the setting is on. When the Num Lock is on, you can type on the number keypad, and the numbers are activated. If Num Lock is off, the number keys may act as navigation keys, such as arrow right. BC wrote: > On the "READY" bar, what does NUM mean? -- Debra Dalgleish Contextures http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

for CComboBox, what EnableWindow() mean?
I want to set my CComboBox control as read only. Can I use EnableWindow(false)? What I should use? What does read only mean for you? No selections? I am guessing disabling it will mean it will not respond to any mouse clicks. -------- Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com There is a difference between readonly and disabled. ReadOnly will still allow the control to be used. Disabled will dim the window and not allow the control to be used at all. Tom "kathy" <yqin_99@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1133460240.286822.60090@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I want to set ...

pivot chart, mean and standard error
hello, I'm using a pivot table to calculate the mean and the stdevp of values collected in different condition. My problem is to draw the corresponding chart for the means of the values, and using the stdevp values for the error bars. Using a stacked histogram, I have something which resembles to what I would like but I would prefer to have a classical error bar. Is there a way to manage ? I want to keep something automatic and not static, with a copy/paste values to draw manually my charts. Thanks for your help -- Misange migrateuse http://www.excelabo.net mail : http://cerbermail.c...

Meaning of "last logged on by", Exch 2003 ?
On Exchange 2003, under "Mailbox Store", "Mailboxes", I see Mailbox:Smith, Joe Last Logged on By:"MyDomain\MyManager" I see a number of mailboxes in which "MyDomain\MyManager" appears as "last logon time" and last "logoff" time is the same, 8:00AM. Can someone explain why this happens ? What does that "last logged on by " really means ? the last user that accessed that particular mailbox will show up there. Philip Nunn "Marlon Brown" <marlon_brown@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uv$x1tHCFHA.1524@...

How to display graph if only mean, SD & median values available?
I have a series of discrete items of data comprising mean, SD and median values (no range or actual data series available). I am trying to display each discrete data point graphically (mean, SD and median) but am struggling to do this. I am using latest version of Excel but can also access SPSS. If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated. Hi, Does Jon's page help? http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/RunChtLines.html Cheers Andy A Renshaw wrote: > I have a series of discrete items of data comprising mean, SD and median > values (no range or actual data series availa...

A Rash of STOP errors.. what does it all mean? (D1,3D,C2,FE,50,7F, death)
I have an NX9420 HP laptop (I actually have two of them) The one in question is a 2.0ghz, centrino duo, but even when I first got it, it seemed to take longer to boot up... XP SP3, with most hotfixes installed when necessary. The one I was using "primarily", seemed to of crapped out after an addition of 1GB of memory and an HP webcam (1.3mp). Right after this, the stop errors (BSoD) made their grand appearance... 0xD1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (2) parms: (0X80005490,000000000,000000008, 80005490) possible reasons: bad device driver. 0x3D: or 0x8D (nothin...

How do I create a bell curve? I have my z, p, std. dev., mean,etc
I am trying to take my std dev, mean, z, p, Confidence level, etc...plot and shade areas using excel. Brian - See the ShadedNormalDensityCurve workbook at http://www.mikemiddleton.com/ShadedNormalDensity.xls - Mike Middleton http://www.DecisionToolworks.com Decision Analysis Add-ins for Excel "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B310F6CD-8380-49CB-AE58-4C7147FFB279@microsoft.com... >I am trying to take my std dev, mean, z, p, Confidence level, etc...plot >and > shade areas using excel. ...

Any one can explain what Charge, credit increase and decrease mean
I like to know what it means with exampla the following words: 1] 10000 doller I have credit limit. what increase and decrease mean here 2] I another case I have 5000 doller credit What charge and credit mean in the column Please advise In microsoft.public.money, nazmul wrote: > I like to know what it means with exampla the following >words: >1] > >10000 doller I have credit limit. what increase and >decrease mean here Credit limit is how much you can charge on the credit card. Above that your card may be rejected, or an extra fee may be made. > >2] &...