Update query with greek characters 04-28-07

I want to do an update query on a table I imported to change all records to
propercase. So far no problems.
In my table I have also a lot of greek names (in the greek alphabet) and when
I run the query all greek letters are replaced by questionmarks.
As this is a long table I want to avoid doing it all by hand.
Can someone help me?

Thanks

greeknl

Try creating a form bound to this table.
In Form Design view, select the field that should contain the Greek
characters, and set the Font to a Greek font.

"greeknl via AccessMonster.com" <u30909@uwe> wrote in message
>I want to do an update query on a table I imported to change all records to
> propercase. So far no problems.
> In my table I have also a lot of greek names (in the greek alphabet) and
> when
> I run the query all greek letters are replaced by questionmarks.
> As this is a long table I want to avoid doing it all by hand.
> Can someone help me?

0
Allen
4/29/2007 3:41:11 AM
I am not quite sure what you mean.
But how would I then convert the complete table to propercase?

Allen Browne wrote:
>Try creating a form bound to this table.
>In Form Design view, select the field that should contain the Greek
>characters, and set the Font to a Greek font.
>
>>I want to do an update query on a table I imported to change all records to
>> propercase. So far no problems.
>[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
>> As this is a long table I want to avoid doing it all by hand.
>> Can someone help me?

greeknl
4/29/2007 12:37:24 PM
I don't understand that reply.

I am not aware of any connection between choosing the correct font so the
text is displayed as characters of the Greek alphabet
instead of question marks, and converting the case of the text.

>I am not quite sure what you mean.
> But how would I then convert the complete table to propercase?
>

> Allen Browne wrote:
>>Try creating a form bound to this table.
>>In Form Design view, select the field that should contain the Greek
>>characters, and set the Font to a Greek font.
>>
>>>I want to do an update query on a table I imported to change all records
>>> propercase. So far no problems.
>>[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
>>> As this is a long table I want to avoid doing it all by hand.
>>> Can someone help me?

0
Allen
4/29/2007 3:25:42 PM
Sorry if I was vague
But when I convert the table to ProperCase, the fileds containing greek words
are converted to questionmarks.
My database works fine with the greek characters, except when performing the
mentioned task.
A real pain...
Thanks anyway for all the prompt replies

Allen Browne wrote:
>I don't understand that reply.
>
>I am not aware of any connection between choosing the correct font so the
>text is displayed as characters of the Greek alphabet
>instead of question marks, and converting the case of the text.
>
>>I am not quite sure what you mean.
>> But how would I then convert the complete table to propercase?
>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]

greeknl
4/30/2007 7:14:12 AM
Ah, I think I see.

Using StrConv() with the vbProperCase argument on a field with Greek
characters did not convert a lower case alpha into an upper case alpha as
you expected. Instead it converted to an unreadable/undisplayable character.

That could certainly be the case if the Unicode font used a non-ASCII
character to display the foreign character. Clearly using StrConv() is not
appropriate for this case.

Perhaps someone who works with other fonts and languages could suggest an
alternative approach.

> Sorry if I was vague
> But when I convert the table to ProperCase, the fileds containing greek
> words
> are converted to questionmarks.
> My database works fine with the greek characters, except when performing
> the
> mentioned task.
> A real pain...
> Thanks anyway for all the prompt replies
>

> Allen Browne wrote:
>>I don't understand that reply.
>>
>>I am not aware of any connection between choosing the correct font so the
>>text is displayed as characters of the Greek alphabet
>>instead of question marks, and converting the case of the text.
>>
>>>I am not quite sure what you mean.
>>> But how would I then convert the complete table to propercase?
>>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]

0
Allen
4/30/2007 7:47:04 AM
Thank you for this answer.
Should I make a new thread using the info you gave me in order to get an
answer or will this post be seen?

Allen Browne wrote:
>Ah, I think I see.
>
>Using StrConv() with the vbProperCase argument on a field with Greek
>characters did not convert a lower case alpha into an upper case alpha as
>you expected. Instead it converted to an unreadable/undisplayable character.
>
>That could certainly be the case if the Unicode font used a non-ASCII
>character to display the foreign character. Clearly using StrConv() is not
>appropriate for this case.
>
>Perhaps someone who works with other fonts and languages could suggest an
>alternative approach.
>
>> Sorry if I was vague
>> But when I convert the table to ProperCase, the fileds containing greek
>[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]

greeknl
4/30/2007 8:42:25 AM
Give it a few hours. Start a new thread of you don't get any takers.

> Thank you for this answer.
> Should I make a new thread using the info you gave me in order to get an
> answer or will this post be seen?
>
> Allen Browne wrote:
>>Ah, I think I see.
>>
>>Using StrConv() with the vbProperCase argument on a field with Greek
>>characters did not convert a lower case alpha into an upper case alpha as
>>you expected. Instead it converted to an unreadable/undisplayable
>>character.
>>
>>That could certainly be the case if the Unicode font used a non-ASCII
>>character to display the foreign character. Clearly using StrConv() is not
>>appropriate for this case.
>>
>>Perhaps someone who works with other fonts and languages could suggest an
>>alternative approach.
>>
>>> Sorry if I was vague
>>> But when I convert the table to ProperCase, the fileds containing greek
>>[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]

0
Allen
4/30/2007 10:59:32 AM
I came accross the function Ucase() which changes strings to Uppercase.
I hope this will work also in the query because in VBA it worked fine.

Again thanks for all the help

Allen Browne wrote:
>Give it a few hours. Start a new thread of you don't get any takers.
>
>> Thank you for this answer.
>> Should I make a new thread using the info you gave me in order to get an
>[quoted text clipped - 19 lines]

greeknl

Merge different queries
Hello all, I have two tables where I enter my stock trades as well as foreign exchange (FX) trades. The two tables contain different fields as the trading instruments require different entries. I then created two seperated queries in order to calculate the profit from each stock and each FX trade. I need two queries as the calculations are different, too. Now, I would like to merge the two queries in order to see my overall profit and losses no matter if the trade is a stock or FX trade. That is, in the final query I would like to see the trade ID (which is the primary key in eac...

Checkbox to a query
I have a form with a checkbox; I'm trying to build a query that grabs that value from the checkbox (-1), and use it as a criteria. In the criteria, I want to say: if the checkbox is checked, give me all records that do not have a -1, otherwise give me all records. So to clarify: I have two tables. first one is "new table" and the second one is "archive table". I want to build a query, so that if the checkbox is checked, all records in the "new table" that are NOT in the "archive table" will be shown. If the checkbox is not checked, then I want all...

Email Management 04-20-10
Using Outlook 2007. My director gets tons of emails each day. He wants me to manage the incoming mail for him; but still be able to access them at some point. He has set up .pst files folders for most of his incoming mail; however, I have discovered that I can't see those folders. If he sets up sub-folders under his incoming mailbox, that mail counts toward the mailbox size. Does anyone have any suggestions on how we could set up an efficient way to manage incoming mail and still make it available to him for later review without filling up the mailbox. Thanks in adv...

Picklist Updating
Newbie question for y'all. I have updated the picklist information (added a few values, deleted others) on the Contact Form and saved it. But, when I go to use the Contact information the picklist data still has the original picklist. I go back to the Form editor and it shows the correct information that I modified. What steps am I missing? Hi Michael, you need to publish you customizations from the Deployment Manager. When you make changes to the forms, the changes are stored in XML in the database. When you publish from deployment manager, the xml form data is then updated on t...

Printing Quotes 12-13-04
In MS CRM, to print quotes you merge your quote to a Word document template, using the Sales for Outlook client. With this template, I can dress up a quote to have a specific look and feel. I also see how, once you open a quote in CRM how you can perform a generic "print" of the quote, but nothing fancy. In fact, you can't, as I understand it, modify this report. What if I don't have a Sales for Outlook client and I want to print a quote -- dressed up? How is that being accomplished. If you do not use Sales for Outlook client it is only possible to create a n...

Replacing Characters
I have a column (lets say column A) that has values like the following: 15467 12099 2099 1312 What I would like to do is make column B replace the last 2 characters with zeros so that column b looks like the following: 15400 12000 2000 1300 Can anyone help? Thanks in advance! Hi in B1 place =ROUNDDOWN(A1,-2) and copy this down for all rows -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Jenn" <Jenn@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:98032363-0DD8-4C4A-8C18-1C86C6DC2F8C@microsoft.com... > I have a column (lets say column A) that has values like the follow...

Outlook 07 to MSX07 over VPN via 3G very slow
Hi, We have a user on Outlook 2007 with a PST file who uses a 3G modem and VPN connection when out on the road. On the LAN he is fine, hooks up to Exchange, downloads his mail to the PST (which I hate, but oh well..) and its all good. Put this same guy on the road with a 3G modem, establish a VPN connection where DNS and etc.. all work properly, open Outlook and it takes an eternity before he can even view his local PST emails, and then send/receive is hit and miss (if it works its abysmally slow else it just wont work). Does anyone know why this would be so slow even with ...

Putting a different character in a cell
Okay here is the problem: We are setting up an Excel worksheet to figure out productivity of employees. I am able to set up a cell to average another range of cells. Example would be that Cell J3 will average Cells C3 - I3 (=AVERAGE(C3:I3)). Now I have two questions... Is there a way to make Excel put a character in Cell J3 where the formula is instead of a blank cell OR even better I would like to create another worksheet that will take MULTIPLE cells linked to the first worksheet with the average formula in it to then do -another- average of the cells if there is information in the cells. A...

query problem 12-01-09
I've got a table of Organizations and a table of Memberships. Memberships have an OrgID and one Org can be part of many Memberships. Memberships have an expiration date. I'm trying to build a list of Organizations that have at least one non- expired Membership associated with it. I'd like each current Org to show once in a list (for an unbound combo box). I tried: SELECT tblOrganizations.OrganizationID, tblOrganizations.Name, [tblMemberships.Anniversary]>(Date()-60) AS [Current] FROM tblOrganizations INNER JOIN tblMemberships ON tblOrganizations.OrganizationID ...

Money 2005 Update #5
How do I stop the "Update now" screen from popping up everytime I start MSM2005. I do not use the online banking function it wants me to upgrade to and have no interest in it. I am running Windows XP. Thanks Bill ...

Money 2005
Option to start statement download when the program starts does not work. I have to manually click the circle with the arrows button. What is wrong with the setup? I think this may be a WinXP issue... I was using Money 2005 with Win98SE and automatic updates worked (or at least happened) but recently upgraded to WinXP SP2 and now I too have to manually click the "Update Now" option... I have also noticed that some settings do not get saved between Money sessions... for example, the Update Status Dialog that has the "Hide this window during update" checkbox... well...

Prevent updating of Current Costs
Is there a way to "turn off" the automatic updating of current cost (Techknowledge 872165)? We are on v7.5, upgrading to v8.0 next week.) For example: It is frustrating when there are cost increases, we enter the new current cost in Item Mntnc, then an old bill posts and this changes current cost back. ...

Popup a message when query finished
I have a form that has a command button with code that updates 7 tables by a series of 7 queries. Is there any way to popup a message box to indicate to the user that all the queries have run successfully and they can move on? Although it happens very quickly there is no visual evidence to the user that the query is running or finished. Thanks Tony -- Why don't my grey cells communicate with each as fast as they used to? I hate getting old! Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-modules/201002/1 Yes, you can put a Msgbox...

May I post here questions about SQL queries against Excel via ODBC?
and if not, can you recommend of a relevant forum? For example, I'm desperately looking for an answer to the question: How can I retrieve the row number of a record in a query? Somethin like: select x.*,rownum() from sheet1$ as x Thanks in advance, Noam ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com try posting in the Security Forum, under SQL Server Security, that's where most people go when they have questions about SQL. ...

excel 2000 02-28-04
i run a business from my home. i am an experienced user but cannot figure out the following: i want to automatically enter the date when i enter a piece of data. when i use the "now" function" the date changes when i access the worksheet. any suggestions? JOY SCHEFFRES wrote: > i run a business from my home. > > i am an experienced user but cannot figure out the > following: i want to automatically enter the date when i > enter a piece of data. when i use the "now" function" the > date changes when i access the worksheet. > > any ...

Money 04 #4
My Win XP COMPLETLY CRASHED with a nasty virus. I did not how to recover from it. I bought a new hard drive and reinstalled XP, starting from scratch. I have my old hard drive set up as a slave and can access files from it. I cannot open Money from the old drive, XP is fried. How can I get my Money file from this old drive, set up as a slave, into my new drive and Money file. Where do I find it on the old drive? In microsoft.public.money, Gary wrote: >My Win XP COMPLETLY CRASHED with a nasty virus. I did not how to recover from >it. I bought a new hard drive and reinstalled XP, s...

Problem with Microsoft Query
It doesn't return some of the data. It returns all but one actually. And I went into Microsoft Query help and followed the instructions. The file is closed, and the data is formatted the same way. Any advice on how to fix it? Jul, Your question is extremely vague. You should probably provide more explicit information about the details of your query such as The type of file are you trying to query The program you are using to perform the query Details of the query parameters Details of the information that is not being retrieved Also, make sure you change the Subject of your messag...

Fitting characters to a grid
In Excel I will have a grid sized 36 x 36, and this grid is subdivided into 36 6 x 6 boxes. What I would like to do is auto fill the grid randomly with the characters A-Z and 0-9. However, in each row and in each column, each character will appear only once. In addition, each character will appear only once in each 6 x 6 box. Sort of like a giant Sudoku puzzle. Any idea how I could formulate this? Marcus WOW!!!:eek: You do not want much do you???:rolleyes: Just to be sure I understand. In row 1 (for example) you would have a-z then 0-9 (randomly distributed) in columns "A" ...

Should I update to Excel ?
Hello This is my first message on this forum. I am not really a computer person but I do use a computer especially Works version 7 spreadsheet to do my accounts. I do not have Excel but I am consideing buying the Excel update. If I do this what happens to my existing works spreadsheet files ? Do they become unusable, or do they become automatically converted to Excel ? Or can I continue to use them as works files ? Thanks very much for any one who takes the trouble to reply Steve -- Thank you from someone who is not a computer person If you look at your saveas options you should see that y...

Word 2007
Please help! I have a new laptop with Word 2007, and am trying to use common punctuation: []\{}| ;':" ,./<>? shows up in word as ^çà¨ÇÀ ;è:È ,.é‘”É what has happened to my keyboard? Is it possessed Are you saying that some keys on your keyboard have an accented letter, probably in a different color? The documentation that came with your computer (or the manufacturer's website) will tell you how to switch back and forth between its character sets. There's probably a key for it. This isn't a W...

smart tags and stock updates
I use smart tags in excel to track my stocks. Before using smart tages, I used to bring in data using yahoo. But smart tags pulls their quotes from MSN Money, which is fine by me. The problem is I have many many spreadsheets, and MSN Money lets me refresh the quotes every five minutes. Great if it is all on one worksheet. Not great if you use many many worksheets. I tried tying the multiple worksheets together into one master worksheet, with all the info carried over form the first sheet to the larger one, but found they would not update the latest prices, unless the "smart ta...

Update query result to table
I can't find a good example on the web showing how to update table with the result from query. Table1 name "Agent1" column have: phone#(primary key), birthdate, and agent (total record 100). table2 name "Agent 2" have the same field (total record 150) except the data on agent is different. I run a query for this two tables and want to update the table1 with the table2 data where the phone#(primary Key). I want the result form the query will replace the agent in Agent1 table. How can i do that? UPDATE Table1 INNER JOIN Table2 ON Table1.[Phone#] = Table2.[Phone#]...

Updating a chart, within a workspace
I keep a daily log of a particular price, plus its moving average. I use an Excel spreadsheet for this. Under a separate tab, I have set up a Chart, that visually tracks both the daily log of price, and the moving average. I need a simple method for updating the chart. So far, the only method I can find that works is to "Clear" [delete] each plot on the chart, and then use "Copy, Paste" to achieve an updated Chart plot of the two parameters. This is laborious, since I have to re-do my color and line preferences each time. There must surely be a more elegant m...

counting numbers 04-09-10
Hi All, I have a Query like This. Pls Give your Suggestions. DATA: anil 0 sunil 1 anil 1 sunil 0 anil 1 sunil 0 Ans: Anil 2 Sunil 1 I need to count the numbers against name which number is more that 0. Regards, Anil. Maybe this =SUMIF(A1:A6,"Anil",B1:B6) -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "showry" wrote: > Hi All, > > I have a Query like This. Pls Give your Suggestions. >...

How do I get rid of the Excel update?
I tried to get the Office Update (I think Office SP2) and had to quit the installation because we have lost the discs. Now, about a week later, we cannot access Microsoft Excel. Word works, as does Publisher. When clicking to launch Excel, it starts to "install" and asks for the disc (which we don't have). How do I downgrade to the previous version, removing the update, without using the disc? I suggest you contact Microsoft re replacement discs. Try support.microsoft.com for a phone number. On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:09:06 -0800, Sam Stockley <SamStockley@discussions.micro...