Update Query and record lock violations

I have a local table constructed from two remote sqltables.  I add records
successfully via an append query in Access 2003.  I am attempting to modify
date records that have changed in the remote table to the local table (they
change occasionally in the sqltable) via update query.  I have the query set
to pull date and time from the sqltable (there is a common key to both tables
that acts as the master key in the local table) and update the date and time
in the local table where the date and time are not equal in both tables.  It
seems to work - it returns exactly the number of records that have had date
and time changed.  However, it says it fails to update them due to record
lock violations.  I'm stumped...

POST your SQL statement.  (Menu View: SQL)

Also, make sure your local table is not being used elsewhere.  (For
instance, do you have it open in design view?)

--
John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007

"Alf" <Alf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a local table constructed from two remote sqltables.  I add records
> successfully via an append query in Access 2003.  I am attempting to
> modify
> date records that have changed in the remote table to the local table
> (they
> change occasionally in the sqltable) via update query.  I have the query
> set
> to pull date and time from the sqltable (there is a common key to both
> tables
> that acts as the master key in the local table) and update the date and
> time
> in the local table where the date and time are not equal in both tables.
> It
> seems to work - it returns exactly the number of records that have had
> date
> and time changed.  However, it says it fails to update them due to record
> lock violations.  I'm stumped...

0
John
10/9/2007 11:22:26 AM
Here's the code Access 2003 wrote in SQL for my query.  Also, the local table
is not open.  I even rebooted and opened from scratch and ran only the update
query, same results.  I figure based on how many records were found, I'm very
close.  Thanks so much for having a look-see!

UPDATE dbo_ExamRecord INNER JOIN Tracking ON dbo_ExamRecord.AccNumber =
Tracking.AccNumber SET dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleDate = Tracking.ScheduleDate,
dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleTime = Tracking.ScheduleTime
WHERE (((dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleDate)<>[Tracking].[ScheduleDate]) AND
((dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleTime)<>[Tracking].[ScheduleTime]) AND
((dbo_ExamRecord.Resource)="M"));

"John Spencer" wrote:

> POST your SQL statement.  (Menu View: SQL)
>
> Also, make sure your local table is not being used elsewhere.  (For
> instance, do you have it open in design view?)
>
> --
> John Spencer
> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
> Center for Health Program Development and Management
> University of Maryland Baltimore County
> ..
>
> "Alf" <Alf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a local table constructed from two remote sqltables.  I add records
> > successfully via an append query in Access 2003.  I am attempting to
> > modify
> > date records that have changed in the remote table to the local table
> > (they
> > change occasionally in the sqltable) via update query.  I have the query
> > set
> > to pull date and time from the sqltable (there is a common key to both
> > tables
> > that acts as the master key in the local table) and update the date and
> > time
> > in the local table where the date and time are not equal in both tables.
> > It
> > seems to work - it returns exactly the number of records that have had
> > date
> > and time changed.  However, it says it fails to update them due to record
> > lock violations.  I'm stumped...

It appears that you may be trying to update a linked SQL table.  If that is
the case, then you probably need to have a field of type TIMESTAMP in the
SQL table in order to update the table successfully.  Is there such a field?

Since you are trying to update the SQL Server table, I would guess that the
dbo_ExamRecord table is the one causing the error message.

--

> Here's the code Access 2003 wrote in SQL for my query.  Also, the local
> table
> is not open.  I even rebooted and opened from scratch and ran only the
> update
> query, same results.  I figure based on how many records were found, I'm
> very
> close.  Thanks so much for having a look-see!
>
> UPDATE dbo_ExamRecord INNER JOIN Tracking ON dbo_ExamRecord.AccNumber =
> Tracking.AccNumber SET dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleDate =
> Tracking.ScheduleDate,
> dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleTime = Tracking.ScheduleTime
> WHERE (((dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleDate)<>[Tracking].[ScheduleDate]) AND
> ((dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleTime)<>[Tracking].[ScheduleTime]) AND
> ((dbo_ExamRecord.Resource)="M"));
>

> "John Spencer" wrote:
>
>> POST your SQL statement.  (Menu View: SQL)
>>
>> Also, make sure your local table is not being used elsewhere.  (For
>> instance, do you have it open in design view?)
>>
>> --
>> John Spencer
>> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
>> Center for Health Program Development and Management
>> University of Maryland Baltimore County
>> ..
>>
>> "Alf" <Alf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a local table constructed from two remote sqltables.  I add
>> >records
>> > successfully via an append query in Access 2003.  I am attempting to
>> > modify
>> > date records that have changed in the remote table to the local table
>> > (they
>> > change occasionally in the sqltable) via update query.  I have the
>> > query
>> > set
>> > to pull date and time from the sqltable (there is a common key to both
>> > tables
>> > that acts as the master key in the local table) and update the date and
>> > time
>> > in the local table where the date and time are not equal in both
>> > tables.
>> > It
>> > seems to work - it returns exactly the number of records that have had
>> > date
>> > and time changed.  However, it says it fails to update them due to
>> > record
>> > lock violations.  I'm stumped...

0
John
10/9/2007 5:06:41 PM
OH!  That would explain it... however, I am not trying to update the SQL
table, I'm trying to update the local table Tracking!  I don't know why
Access tried to do it that way (though I'm sure it's me somehow).  The table
to update on the design view is definitely Tracking.  Do I just change
dbo_Update to Tracking after the UPDATE statement, or do I need to reverse
all those in the SQL view?  THANK YOU!

"John Spencer" wrote:

> It appears that you may be trying to update a linked SQL table.  If that is
> the case, then you probably need to have a field of type TIMESTAMP in the
> SQL table in order to update the table successfully.  Is there such a field?
>
> Since you are trying to update the SQL Server table, I would guess that the
> dbo_ExamRecord table is the one causing the error message.
>
> --
> John Spencer
> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
> Center for Health Program Development and Management
> University of Maryland Baltimore County
> ..
>
> "Alf" <Alf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Here's the code Access 2003 wrote in SQL for my query.  Also, the local
> > table
> > is not open.  I even rebooted and opened from scratch and ran only the
> > update
> > query, same results.  I figure based on how many records were found, I'm
> > very
> > close.  Thanks so much for having a look-see!
> >
> > UPDATE dbo_ExamRecord INNER JOIN Tracking ON dbo_ExamRecord.AccNumber =
> > Tracking.AccNumber SET dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleDate =
> > Tracking.ScheduleDate,
> > dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleTime = Tracking.ScheduleTime
> > WHERE (((dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleDate)<>[Tracking].[ScheduleDate]) AND
> > ((dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleTime)<>[Tracking].[ScheduleTime]) AND
> > ((dbo_ExamRecord.Resource)="M"));
> >

> > "John Spencer" wrote:
> >
> >> POST your SQL statement.  (Menu View: SQL)
> >>
> >> Also, make sure your local table is not being used elsewhere.  (For
> >> instance, do you have it open in design view?)
> >>
> >> --
> >> John Spencer
> >> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
> >> Center for Health Program Development and Management
> >> University of Maryland Baltimore County
> >> ..
> >>
> >> "Alf" <Alf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

UPDATE dbo_ExamRecord INNER JOIN Tracking
ON dbo_ExamRecord.AccNumber = Tracking.AccNumber
SET Tracking.ScheduleDate=dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleDate ,
Tracking.ScheduleTime=dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleTime
WHERE dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleDate<>[Tracking].[ScheduleDate] AND
dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleTime<>[Tracking].[ScheduleTime] AND
dbo_ExamRecord.Resource="M"

One problem with the above is that if fields in either table are null you
won't get updates.  Also, you won't update if  only the time or date is
changed.
You can change the criteria to something more complex to handle all those
situations.

UPDATE dbo_ExamRecord INNER JOIN Tracking
ON dbo_ExamRecord.AccNumber = Tracking.AccNumber
SET Tracking.ScheduleDate=dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleDate ,
Tracking.ScheduleTime=dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleTime

WHERE (dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleDate<>[Tracking].[ScheduleDate]
OR dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleDate is Null and [Tracking].[ScheduleDate] is Not
Null
OR dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleDate is Not Null and [Tracking].[ScheduleDate] Is
Null
OR dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleTime<>[Tracking].[ScheduleTime]
OR dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleTimeis Null and [Tracking].[ScheduleTime] is Not
Null
OR dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleTimeis Not Null and [Tracking].[ScheduleTime] Is
Null)
AND dbo_ExamRecord.Resource="M"

You can simplify that by using NZ on both sides of the comparisons although
that will slow things down.

WHERE
(Nz(dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleDate,#1/1/1899#)<>[NZ(Tracking].[ScheduleDate],#1/1/1899#)
OR
Nz(dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleTime,#00:00:00#)<>Nz[(Tracking].[ScheduleTime],#00:00:00#)
 )

> OH!  That would explain it... however, I am not trying to update the SQL
> table, I'm trying to update the local table Tracking!  I don't know why
> Access tried to do it that way (though I'm sure it's me somehow).  The
> table
> to update on the design view is definitely Tracking.  Do I just change
> dbo_Update to Tracking after the UPDATE statement, or do I need to reverse
> all those in the SQL view?  THANK YOU!
>
> "John Spencer" wrote:
>
>> It appears that you may be trying to update a linked SQL table.  If that
>> is
>> the case, then you probably need to have a field of type TIMESTAMP in the
>> SQL table in order to update the table successfully.  Is there such a
>> field?
>>
>> Since you are trying to update the SQL Server table, I would guess that
>> the
>> dbo_ExamRecord table is the one causing the error message.
>>
>> --
>> John Spencer
>> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
>> Center for Health Program Development and Management
>> University of Maryland Baltimore County
>> ..
>>
>> "Alf" <Alf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Here's the code Access 2003 wrote in SQL for my query.  Also, the local
>> > table
>> > is not open.  I even rebooted and opened from scratch and ran only the
>> > update
>> > query, same results.  I figure based on how many records were found,
>> > I'm
>> > very
>> > close.  Thanks so much for having a look-see!
>> >
>> > UPDATE dbo_ExamRecord INNER JOIN Tracking ON dbo_ExamRecord.AccNumber =
>> > Tracking.AccNumber SET dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleDate =
>> > Tracking.ScheduleDate,
>> > dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleTime = Tracking.ScheduleTime
>> > WHERE (((dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleDate)<>[Tracking].[ScheduleDate]) AND
>> > ((dbo_ExamRecord.ScheduleTime)<>[Tracking].[ScheduleTime]) AND
>> > ((dbo_ExamRecord.Resource)="M"));

0
John
10/10/2007 11:26:59 AM
Thanks!  I was able to make that one work!!

"John Spencer" wrote:

> [...]
> > to update on the design view is definitely Tracking.  Do I just change
> > dbo_Update to Tracking after the UPDATE statement, or do I need to reverse
> > all those in the SQL view?  THANK YOU!
> >
> > "John Spencer" wrote:
> >
> >> It appears that you may be trying to update a linked SQL table.  If that
> >> is
> >> the case, then you probably need to have a field of type TIMESTAMP in the
> >> SQL table in order to update the table successfully.  Is there such a
> >> field?
> >>
> >> Since you are trying to update the SQL Server table, I would guess that
> >> the
> >> dbo_ExamRecord table is the one causing the error message.
> >>
> >> --
> >> John Spencer
> >> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
> >> Center for Health Program Development and Management

Money 2007 Internet Updates
I presently use Money 2002 Deluxe and only use Internet Updates to update my portfolio stock quotes and it's free withing Money 2002. With 2007 it says Internet updates are only good for 2 years. Does that mean after 2 years it won't update my portfolio as Money 2002 does? If yes, I'll just stick with my 2002 version. Thanks "rlastar" <rlastar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:95E29B9F-1E37-4790-8620-89AD32DEBE4A@microsoft.com... >I presently use Money 2002 Deluxe and only use Internet Updates to update >my > portfolio stock quotes and...

Query Help : accounts which are not members of existing marketing list
Hey all, I have few marketing lists and having lot of accounts as members . Now i am interested to make a new marketing list with new members , which are not member of any of existing marketing list. Is there any way to see which accounts are not member of existing marketing list ? Thanks Aami Sure AAmi, Not within CRM but you can run this in the SQL Query Analyzer to find them: select * from accountbase A left join ListMemberBase L on A.accountid = L.entityID where L.entityID is null HTH, Dave Aami wrote: > Hey all, > > I have few marketing lists and having lot of accounts...

Last Updated Filed
What event triggers the update of the field LastUpdated in the Items table? Marc This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0280_01C7F013.BD3F8510 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0281_01C7F013.BD3F8510" ------=_NextPart_001_0281_01C7F013.BD3F8510 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Marc, Depends on what version you have as its been fixed and broken many times = over the last year!=20 Look it up on CustomerSource hotfix list. --=20 Jeff=20 Check Poin...

cannot see updated DLs in Outlook
With my usual Exchange admins both on vacay, I've been charged with creating/updating distribution lists. We're in a Windows2003 and Exchange2003 environment. I've changed permissions on the DL. Updated them to Global/Distribution in AD and synched the DCs using AD Sites and Services (for grins). Still nothing in the address book on the client side. I'm going to peruse the event logs on the Exchange box next, but meanwhile if any of you have an idea of what's going on.... Thanks, JM You can try the following steps (very basic): 1. Go to ADUC, properties of any one DG...

Take a look at the correction update
--ihqexvwvlznjwudix Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="xuzikszmnh"; type="multipart/alternative" --xuzikszmnh Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="uvrjpsddwlnwfr" --uvrjpsddwlnwfr Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Client this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to maintain the sec...

Updating Financial Institutions for Money 2004
I have money 2004 and I am setting up online services. American Funds is not listed as a financial institution. I know American Funds IS listed for Money 2006 after viewing the list of financial institutions supported by 2006 online. Anyone know how to update financial institutions for Money 2004 or do you know why it's not there? In microsoft.public.money, "C Jensen" <C Jensen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have money 2004 and I am setting up online services. American Funds is not >listed as a financial institution. I know American Funds IS listed f...

Internet Connections / News Updates Money 2004
I know that my internet connection works. I can view webpages with IE and also Money 2004. When I click on the update now links the message says that it goes through but the updates are not showing up. Also, when I am trying to setup my passwords for my bank accounts it needs to connect to the internet but It says I have no internet connection set up. I am using Adelphia Cable as my ISP. I contacted them and they say it is not their end why Money cant connect. I was given a cd to automatically setup my internet I did not manually configure anything. If you know anything about th...

opened Excel w/sheet from email attachment, updated, saved & cant
I emailed an Excel worksheet from my office to my home - opened it from my Outlook Express folder - updated file extensively - saved several times during the four hours I worked - closed & now can't find the updated file. I forgot I had opened it from the email and never saved it to my C drive. However, I saved it several times while I was working on it. Shouldn't the file in my email be the updated saved file? It's not and I can't find it anywhere. I believe this happened once before to me. Any suggestion would be appreciated. I've lost a lot of work if the file...

Summary Query
I need help with a quey. First I have a table that has different columns, two fields that I want to use are "CSR" and "Responses". these two fields are lookup and linked with two tables. Now i need a report based on query, where I can have CSR names on left, and on top responses, showing the counts. I know I can do it through Pivot Table but then i can not export it to Excel as simply text. -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com How about a Crosstab Query with CSR as a Row Header, Responses as a Column Header and Count of Responses as the Value? This wi...

link append query to combobox
I have a form (tester) that contains two unbound comboboxes. The first, cboMRSearchChart looks up a specific ID number (text datatype) for a patient, and the second (cboDOVSearchChart), displays the dates of visit associated with that ID number. The two fields are from the table "Patient Visits," where an autonumber Chart ID serves as the primary key. The selection of a date updates a subform (sbfPatientVisits), which is related to the mainform via Chart ID number. The column with Chart ID is present in the Date of Visit combobox, but is hidden from view. In the NotInList event of t...

Using Query by typing " SELECT......"
Hello, When I saw on the addresss sample database, the form Household is uing query by just mentioning SELECT...... My question is how can type SELECT then prompt the table to us. I normally use grid query, what is the difference using grid query of SQL Query ( is it SQL that using SELECT....?) Many thanks for any idea provided -- H. Frank Situmorang The RecordSource property of a form can accept: - a table name - a query name - a SQL statement. You can change the RecordSource property of the form programmatically. For example, if the form currently has a RecordSource of: SELECT ...

Integration Manager
I have a customer integration which runs fine the first time. If I re-run it it fails with the following message: Beginning integration... DOC 1 ERROR: Internet Information for Address 'PRIMARY' already exists; cannot insert. Integration Failed The destination edit mode is set to Insert and Update. You want to take out the your address information for the integration manager on the next reruns. There are certain fields that will work with integration manager only once. After the first run, the field is then a Key field on another table, in this case the "Address ID" fi...

Query error after converting
I'm running Access 2003. I have a working database. It seems as if the database is in Access 2000 format, because when I go to Convert, the 'Convert to Access 2000' option is grayed out. I need to convert this database to both Access 2002-2003 and Access 97. I have this part of VB code, and it works fine in the current version, as well as in Access 2002-2003 (after converting to Access 2002-2003). Dim rstRoutes As Recordset Dim strSQL As String ...... strSQL = "SELECT DISTINCT [Route] " & _ "FROM Highways_Info " & _ "WHERE ...

Recent update 6/8
I recently updated Windows (6/8) and now one of my user accounts is locked. Running XP. I had to use restore after today's updates -- dlg "CowsyW" wrote: > I recently updated Windows (6/8) and now one of my user accounts is locked. > Running XP. ...

Deleting system locked fields
Does anyone know how I can get rid of the "Is revenue system calculated?" field on the Opportunities form? We always have user-provided values, and therefore have no need for this field, but I can't delete it. Anyone know how I can get around this? You can not delete those fields. But you can change the default value to "user provided". WIth some javascipt you should be able to hide it for the users. HTH, Frederic - Travi@ta www.microsoft-dynamics-crm.eu WiLLerZ schreef: > Does anyone know how I can get rid of the "Is revenue system > calculated?"...

Crosstab Query For Fiscal Year Totals
I want to write a crosstab query for FY totals that will show each month regardless of wether there is data or not. Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks! The trick is column headings. Open the query in Design View. Right click up where the tables go and select Properties. In there is column headings. Put in the expected column names in order. Something like: "Jan","Feb","Mar" and so on. -- Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder. "DevlinM" wrote: > I...

Outlook locks up all the time
This is a shot in the dark. Ever since getting my new Thinkpad with Windows XP, Outlook has never seemed to work properly. I've run diagnostics on my machine and nothing comes up as a problem. I've installed a spyware program because after talking to IBM tech support, they suggested I try that. I also talked to another support tech, who suggested I reinstall Windows completely. I'm not a real technical person. Won't a re-install wipe out my files? Most of the time that I use Outlook for my email, it slows down and eventually locks up. When I restart my computer,...

no updates since 2008
I am trying to update an old machine, but when I go to the express otion, it comes back with no updates are needed. I look on the history and the last updat is from June of 2008. Any clues why this is happening? dms21032 wrote: > I am trying to update an old machine, but when I go to the express > otion, it comes back with no updates are needed. I look on the > history and the last updat is from June of 2008. Any clues why > this is happening? No clues as to what OS and what service pack it might be? Even what architecture (32-bit or 64-bit) the OS is... So - n...

Update Quotes #2
Is there any way to permanently disable the "Update Quotes" feature? I do not have a stock portfolio and the Update Quotes feature takes upwards of 5 minutes to complete. I know that I can turn it off for each session, but I would rather just permanently disable it. Which version of Money? -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. For wishes or suggestions see http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or for UK wishes http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback I d...

Office 2007 non-commercial use + Code 78F when updating
Hi All, Have a couple questions relating a Vista/Office 2007. We bought a sony vaio laptop that came pre-intalled with a trial license of office 2007. I un-installed Office completely and install a fresh copy of our partner license copy of office 2007, but when loading any office application now its shows 'Microsoft Outlook non-commercial use' and same for word,excel, etc. Anyone have any idea why this is? Second question is relating to windows updates in Vista; I get an error Code 78F when trying to install any update, and the soultions i try doesnt seem to resolve this issue....

Update Now and NationalCity Online Banking
I posted a message a week ago about my Update Now not showing the option to update my banking information in Money 2006 Deluxe. Someone suggested it maybe not be working because I have "Access money data on the web" turned on. I should disable this and it may fix the problem. I tried this and still did not fix the problem. I played with it for over a hour last night going to the "Manage Online Services" screen and trying to set up my online services again. I go through selecting my bank, then entering my login information. I click the ok button to continue and it ei...

RelationShips Queries and joins
Not sure where to start and the posts I have read I do not fully understand I created 2 tables (remitt and Billing) and for each table I created a query--Because I needed to create a commmon expression (1st 10 digits of a name & a w/e date & Pay code). The names never match 100% I want to make a final query and bring over the Billing info into the remitt and create a final query Can I do this? Post the SQL of the two queries you have now by opening in design view, click on VIEW - SQL View, highlight all in the window that opens, copy, and paste in a post. -...

How to Find Record if Exists, Add if not?
How to Find Record if Exists, Add if not? I have a form where user will enter the vendor ID, which is a unique ID. They enter it off a long list of information listing many vendors and it's hard to know if the vendorID already exists in the database, until they tab through all the fields and get the duplicate record error. Then they press Esc and do a search on that vendorID to pull up the existing record to update. VendorID format is similar to this A123456789ST (Usees a prefix, Vendor FEIN, State abbrev.) I want to automate this. when they enter the VendorID, I want it to s...

Locking folders
Is there any way in Windows Live Mail to lock the folders so they can't be so easily deleted, accidentally? I have done this several times because the vague, fuzzy highlight colors aren't attention getting enough to keep me from thinking I'm deleting a specific message but end up deleting the entire folder. I would think that there should be a way to set the folder options such that I would have to approve a folder deletion before it became final, but this is not so..... Thanks, Gordon No locking. But you can create folders in the "Storage Folders" section an...

Access 2003 VB Code Export Query Failing with Access 2007 user
I have a set of excel export queries I created in an access 2003 DB. Now, some of my users have upgraded to Access 2007 and are running in to a "Parameter" error when the execute the "canned" excel export queries I created for them. My only presumption is that it is due to the fact that I have hardcoded the export function, to go to an Office 2003 Excel file, and for whatever reason, Access 2007 cannot handle this. This make sense? And if so, any suggestions? I suppose if there was an easy way to test what version of office/excel they are running, I could change...