Update Query - 54393

Hello,

For every record in a table I need to update one of four Yes/No check box
fields based upon date span.

If the "In Date" is in the same month as "Serve D" or "Return D" field place
a check in the "DispodWithinSameMonth" yes/no field.

If the "In Date" is within 30 days of the "Serve D" or "Return D" field
place a check in the "DispodWithin30Days" yes/no field.

If the "In Date" is within 60 days of the "Serve D" or "Return D" field
place a check in the "DispodWithin60Days" yes/no field.

If the "In Date" is within 90 days of the "Serve D" or "Return D" field
place a check in the "DispodWithin90Days" yes/no field.

There are seven fields total
In Date
Return D
Serve D
DispodWithinSameMonth
DispodWithin30Days
DispodWithin60Days
DispodWithin90Days

Could you help me understand how I would write the update query?
I am not that great with Update Queries and any detail will be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks.
Iram/mcp

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 16:53:01 -0800, Iram <Iram@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>For every record in a table I need to update one of four Yes/No check box
>fields based upon date span.
>
>If the "In Date" is in the same month as "Serve D" or "Return D" field place
>a check in the "DispodWithinSameMonth" yes/no field.
>
>If the "In Date" is within 30 days of the "Serve D" or "Return D" field
>place a check in the "DispodWithin30Days" yes/no field.
>
>If the "In Date" is within 60 days of the "Serve D" or "Return D" field
>place a check in the "DispodWithin60Days" yes/no field.
>
>If the "In Date" is within 90 days of the "Serve D" or "Return D" field
>place a check in the "DispodWithin90Days" yes/no field.
>
>There are seven fields total
>In Date
>Return D
>Serve D
>DispodWithinSameMonth
>DispodWithin30Days
>DispodWithin60Days
>DispodWithin90Days

I think you're misguided here.

If you store a Yes or a No in one of these yes/no fields in 100 records in
your table... you can be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that every one of those records
will contain *incorrect* data within 30 days. The Dispod fields *should simply
not exist* in your table.

These yes/no fields should instead be calculated on the fly, dynamically, from
the date, and NOT stored in your table. You can do so with calculated fields
using the IIF() and DateDiff() functions.

There are anomalies in your rules though! If Serve D is 1/31/2010 and Return D
is 2/1/2010 they're just a day apart... but not within the same month. Not all
months are thirty days. Some months are 31 days, so it could be within the
same month but not within 30 days. Is that OK?

Just an example of how to do this:

DispodWithin30Days: (DateDiff("d", [In Date], [Serve D]) <= 30
OR DateDiff("d", [In Date], [Return Date]) <= 30)

This expression will be TRUE if either of the date ranges is 30 or less, FALSE
if neither expression is true.

This will fail if any of the three date fields is NULL, you'll need to use the
NZ function to convert nulls to a reasonable date.

Could you explain the real-life situation you're modeling?

--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

This database is used to track a Process Servers Job. The In Date is the
date that he receives the papers to serve. He either serves the papers and
records the "Serve D" or he returns the papers back to his boss and records
the "Returned D". His boss wants to be able to run a report that showed which
cases were served or returned within the same month, within 30 days, 60 days
or 90 days, (new one) greater than 90 days.

As for saving the calculated data into the table, you are right. I'll just
run the calculated data off a form or report from a query.

As for your question, Yes that is ok!

Your Awesome John!

Iram/mcp

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 10:24:02 -0800, Iram <Iram@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi John,
>Btw, thanks for your time!
>
>This database is used to track a Process Servers Job. The In Date is the
>date that he receives the papers to serve. He either serves the papers and
>records the "Serve D" or he returns the papers back to his boss and records
>the "Returned D". His boss wants to be able to run a report that showed which
>cases were served or returned within the same month, within 30 days, 60 days
>or 90 days, (new one) greater than 90 days.

If only one of Serve D and Returned D will be NULL you might be able to use an
expression like

DispodWithin30Days: (DateDiff("d", [In Date], NZ([Serve D], [Returned D])) <=
30

You'll still want some sort of criterion to find those cases where the paper
has neither been served nor returned: it's not clear what you want to do in
that case.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 10:24:02 -0800, Iram <Iram@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi John,
> >Btw, thanks for your time!
> >
> >This database is used to track a Process Servers Job. The In Date is the
> >date that he receives the papers to serve. He either serves the papers and
> >records the "Serve D" or he returns the papers back to his boss and records
> >the "Returned D". His boss wants to be able to run a report that showed which
> >cases were served or returned within the same month, within 30 days, 60 days
> >or 90 days, (new one) greater than 90 days.
>
> If only one of Serve D and Returned D will be NULL you might be able to use an
> expression like
>
> DispodWithin30Days: (DateDiff("d", [In Date], NZ([Serve D], [Returned D])) <=
> 30
>
> You'll still want some sort of criterion to find those cases where the paper
> has neither been served nor returned: it's not clear what you want to do in
> that case.
> --
>
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]
> .

Pending: IIF(Serve D] is Null and [Returned d] is Null, 1,0)

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

Iram wrote:
> For cases that don't have neither a Served or Returned date can we create a
> calculated field that counts them as well?
>
> "John W. Vinson" wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 10:24:02 -0800, Iram <Iram@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi John,
>>> Btw, thanks for your time!
>>>
>>> This database is used to track a Process Servers Job. The In Date is the
>>> date that he receives the papers to serve. He either serves the papers and
>>> records the "Serve D" or he returns the papers back to his boss and records
>>> the "Returned D". His boss wants to be able to run a report that showed which
>>> cases were served or returned within the same month, within 30 days, 60 days
>>> or 90 days, (new one) greater than 90 days.
>> If only one of Serve D and Returned D will be NULL you might be able to use an
>> expression like
>>
>> DispodWithin30Days: (DateDiff("d", [In Date], NZ([Serve D], [Returned D])) <=
>> 30
>>
>> You'll still want some sort of criterion to find those cases where the paper
>> has neither been served nor returned: it's not clear what you want to do in
>> that case.
>> --
>>
>>              John W. Vinson [MVP]
>> .

0
John
3/5/2010 4:51:41 PM
Hello fellas,
I added the below calculated fields to the query and adjusted the names.
DispodWithin30Days: (DateDiff("d",[In Date],NZ([Serve D],[Return D]))<=30)
DispodWithin60Days: (DateDiff("d",[In Date],NZ([Serve D],[Return D]))<=60)
DispodWithin90Days: (DateDiff("d",[In Date],NZ([Serve D],[Return D]))<=90)

Problem, if there is a Serve D or a Return D within one month of the In Date
than all three calculated fields become -1. This is because the Serve or
Return date is less than 90 days and less than 60 and less than 30. How can I
fix this?

When I added the below calculation get an error...
Pending: IIF(Serve D] is Null and [Return D] is Null, 1,0)

Error:
The expression you entered contains invalid syntax
You may have entered an operand without an operator.

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks.
Iram/mcp

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 14:16:17 -0800, Iram <Iram@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Problem, if there is a Serve D or a Return D within one month of the In Date
>than all three calculated fields become -1. This is because the Serve or
>Return date is less than 90 days and less than 60 and less than 30. How can I
>fix this?
>
>When I added the below calculation get an error...
>Pending: IIF(Serve D] is Null and [Return D] is Null, 1,0)
>
>Error:
>The expression you entered contains invalid syntax
>You may have entered an operand without an operator.

Use more stringent criteria, and change the syntax of the IIF:

DispodWithin30Days: (DateDiff("d",[In Date],NZ([Serve D],[Return D]))<=30)
DispodWithin60Days: (DateDiff("d",[In Date],NZ([Serve D],[Return D]))>30 AND
DateDiff("d",[In Date],NZ([Serve D],[Return D]))<=60)
DispodWithin90Days: (DateDiff("d",[In Date],NZ([Serve D],[Return D]))>60 AND
DateDiff("d",[In Date],NZ([Serve D],[Return D]))<=90)

Pending: IIF(IsNull([Serve D]) AND IsNull( [Return D]),-1,0)

You're not explicitly catching records that never get returned at all... you
might want to add a new one checking for > 90.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

Thanks.
Iram/mcp

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 14:16:17 -0800, Iram <Iram@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Problem, if there is a Serve D or a Return D within one month of the In Date
> >than all three calculated fields become -1. This is because the Serve or
> >Return date is less than 90 days and less than 60 and less than 30. How can I
> >fix this?
> >
> >When I added the below calculation get an error...
> >Pending: IIF(Serve D] is Null and [Return D] is Null, 1,0)
> >
> >Error:
> >The expression you entered contains invalid syntax
> >You may have entered an operand without an operator.
>
> Use more stringent criteria, and change the syntax of the IIF:
>
> DispodWithin30Days: (DateDiff("d",[In Date],NZ([Serve D],[Return D]))<=30)
> DispodWithin60Days: (DateDiff("d",[In Date],NZ([Serve D],[Return D]))>30 AND
> DateDiff("d",[In Date],NZ([Serve D],[Return D]))<=60)
> DispodWithin90Days: (DateDiff("d",[In Date],NZ([Serve D],[Return D]))>60 AND
> DateDiff("d",[In Date],NZ([Serve D],[Return D]))<=90)
>
> Pending: IIF(IsNull([Serve D]) AND IsNull( [Return D]),-1,0)
>
> You're not explicitly catching records that never get returned at all... you
> might want to add a new one checking for > 90.
> --
>
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]
> .

John, some how the -1's and 0's started to appear in the reports, all is good!

I don't know what I would do with out you guys!
I am really happy and appreciative of your guys efforts!

Thanks John W. Vinson and John Spencer

Iram/mcp

"Iram" wrote:

> Thank you John V. the calculated fields worked perfectly!
> Question: Why can't I see these calculated fields in a new repot which
> inlcude the calculated fields? In the query I see -1's and 0's but in the
> report I don't see these -1's and 0's, nothing is appearing. The report
> wizard made text boxes boxes for the calculated fields so then I removed them
> and place check boxes in there places and still nothing. Any suggestions?
>

> Thanks.
> Iram/mcp
>
> "John W. Vinson" wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 14:16:17 -0800, Iram <Iram@discussions.microsoft.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Problem, if there is a Serve D or a Return D within one month of the In Date
> > >than all three calculated fields become -1. This is because the Serve or
> > >Return date is less than 90 days and less than 60 and less than 30. How can I
> > >fix this?
> > >
> > >When I added the below calculation get an error...
> > >Pending: IIF(Serve D] is Null and [Return D] is Null, 1,0)
> > >
> > >Error:
> > >The expression you entered contains invalid syntax
> > >You may have entered an operand without an operator.
> >
> > Use more stringent criteria, and change the syntax of the IIF:
> >
> > DispodWithin30Days: (DateDiff("d",[In Date],NZ([Serve D],[Return D]))<=30)
> > DispodWithin60Days: (DateDiff("d",[In Date],NZ([Serve D],[Return D]))>30 AND
> > DateDiff("d",[In Date],NZ([Serve D],[Return D]))<=60)
> > DispodWithin90Days: (DateDiff("d",[In Date],NZ([Serve D],[Return D]))>60 AND
> > DateDiff("d",[In Date],NZ([Serve D],[Return D]))<=90)
> >
> > Pending: IIF(IsNull([Serve D]) AND IsNull( [Return D]),-1,0)
> >
> > You're not explicitly catching records that never get returned at all... you
> > might want to add a new one checking for > 90.
> > --
> >
> >              John W. Vinson [MVP]
> > .

Windows Update Failures
Running Windows XP Pro, SP3 and Office 2007 Ultimate. I have five updates that will not install. I am getting three different error codes. I have searched the web and this message board for a solution to no avail. I have tried installing each one individually, in groups (e.g. Office 2007 group and Windows XP group), as well as trying to install all five together. Regardless, I always get the same error codes on each of these. Below are the updates and the error codes received for each one. Appreciate any help to get over this issue. Windows XP - Microsoft .NET Framewo...

Updating Dynamic Pivot Tables
We created a dynamic pivot table and that works. However, when we modify the underlying query in CRM to include or exclude certain records (i.e. different date range or status reasons), the pivot table data in Excel does not reflect the changed query. Is this not supported, or are we missing a trick here? Grateful for any insight.... Yes, the pivot table can display new data from CRM. You can select Refresh data or set the refresh interval to the appropriate interval you need. I'm using Excel 2007 and it defaults to 60 minute intervals. You can set it to the interval you like. &...

Failed windows update
Automatic windows update failed to install the above two updates. Error code 646 came up. I downloaded the two updates from Microsoft website and tried manual install and the result is same with error code 646 and the message 'this package failed to install'. I have vista business and MS Office 2007. The above two updates are related to MS Office 2007 (Infopath 2007 and Outlook 2007) I hope some one can come up with a solution or probably already has one?!! I ended up going round and round on the web and also on microsoft website. Thanks in advance. I'm stuck wi...

Append Query problem
I have an Append Quey that works fine when you right click on the query ("ReaderIndCancelProforma_Append") and choose open INSERT INTO Reader_DistrHistory ( DistrId, [Reader Id], [Date on mailing list], TypeId, ReasonId, Reason, [Date off mailing list] ) SELECT Reader_DistrCurrent.DistrId, Reader_DistrCurrent.[Reader Id], Reader_DistrCurrent.[Date on mailing list], 6 AS Type, 15 AS Reas, [Forms]![Reader_CancelProforma]![Remarks] AS Remark, Now() AS off FROM Reader_DistrCurrent WHERE (((Reader_DistrCurrent.[Reader Id])=[Forms]![Reader_DB]![Reader Id])); The problem I hav...

Error in query referring to Combo Box
I am very new to using VBA to build forms and am having a problem. I trying to embed a query within a public sub routine. The goal of this query is to use an alphanumeric code entered into a combo box on the form to retrieve an associated ID within a table. The bound column of the combo box is text. I have used the following code: Public Sub GetSturID(intSturID As Integer) Dim rsSturID As ADODB.Recordset Set rsSturID = New ADODB.Recordset rsSturID.Open "SELECT tblSturg.SturgID FROM tblSturg WHERE (tblSturg.PIT = '" & cmbPIT.Value & "')" _ &...

Query to count between list of number (Predicting Start/End that may occur in data range)
Hi, I have a below list of numbers. 566667 566668 566669 566665 566666 566671 566672 566680 I want a query that would return a count between start and end of range. Like Start End Quantity 566665 566669 5 566671 566672 2 566680 566680 1 Thank you. On 2 apr, 07:17, Angela <ims...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I have a below list of numbers. > > 566667 > 566668 > 566669 > 566665 > 566666 > 566671 > 566672 > 566680 > > I want a query that would return a coun...

Worksheet protect with query-based table
I have a table with 3 columns based on a SQL db query, with a worksheet column added to the table that is a formula I want to protect. There are 3 other non-table cells I want to protect. If I protect the worksheet, I can't refresh the table, even if I unlocked the table cells that are based on the query. ...

How do I automatically send daily email of updated Excel workbook.
I am trying to have reports in Excel (that are udpated daily) sent automatically in email. I want them to just be sent "behind the scenes" without me having to create a new email, attach the file, and send daily. I want to have this process happen automatically. They are excel reports and I use Lotus Notes, and am looking for any help that could show me how to link these two, or send email through Excel to a specified distribution list, on specified dates. Hi > use Lotus Notes Try this http://www.rondebruin.nl/cdo.htm And see Chip Pearsons site about OnTime http://www...

Report or SQL Query from website
Let's say I have my own hosted website and domain with MySQL support (not sure if that matters here)... What I would like to do is pull real-time or near real-time data from my Store Ops or HQ Server database. What kind of solutions should I be looking for? If this is not possible, I was going to try a "roll-my-own" solution by scheduling SQL queries that output to text files and pushing the files to a web server via ftp using windows task scheduler. I would much prefer the "pull" solution to get real time data. I guess I would need to do some port forwarding o...

Query the top top ten by category?
I have a table that has a list of occurences by store locations. I use a query to count those occurences and then produce a top ten report. I am currently producing that report by market. In order to do this I have built independent queries for each market, which are the source for subreports, that are all on the same report. In effect I get one report with the top ten occurences by market. I now need to move to a regional report. The issue I have is that there are 70 regions. And I produce three unique reports. I only have 6 markets so I had no real issue producing 18 different...

Create a Query to pull a list of records from large DB
Table 1 has 1 field and 20 records (unique tracking nos.). Table 2 has 8 fields and 900+ records. Field 7 of Table 2 contains the unique tracking nos. -- 20 of which are found in and comprise Table 1. I want to do a query that will pull only the records from Table 2 (with all 8 fields) that match the 20 unique tracking numbers found in Table 1. Can anyone help? -- Mary Create a query that includes both tables. Join the field in Table 1 to Field 7 in Table 2. The query will return only the records you want. PC Datasheet Providing Customers A Resource For Help With Access, Excel And...

Non-Automatic Link Updating in Excel 2003
I wrote a large system of about 30 Excel workbooks that are all linked together in various ways. I've been using this sytem for several years under Excel 2000. I just got Excel 3000 (XP), and to my disbelief, every time I open a workbook, I have to digress and answer questions about the link updating. If I go into Edit->Links I see the usual (with some new features) links window. I checked the box that says to do the updating automatically. I selected the option that says to always update the links and DO NOT present me with a popup message asking me if I want to. These two ite...

12.2.0 Update #2
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Sorry to ask this -- I know you've answered many similar -- but I haven't found the solution so far... I have clean install of 10.6 I installed Office2008 demo (until my IT guy was available) The first Office demo (file name started with X15...) failed to update (the updates killed the app) The second demo I installed (a few days later - demo file started with X16..) worked and updated perfectly... Then my IT guy (Windows admin) gave me the original office2008 installer... I uninstalled the demo (and all pr...

Query Expression help
What is the correct expression to get average handle time per return, rather than per batch (returns are logged in batches that vary in quantity). Currently using this espression to get AHT per batch- Handle Time: [Sign In Time]-[Sign Out Time] I would like to divide this sum by [Processed], which is already an expression Processed: [Filed]+[Sent to Accounting]+[Pended] to ger AHT per return. I tried- Handle Time: sum([Sign In Time]-[Sign Out Time])/[Processed], but that doesn't work. Help! Perhaps the following, although I suspect that will not give you the results you expect. S...

How to do bulk updates.
I have imported data into various entities and now want to do tidy up the data by setting default values for picklists etc. I know I should have done this on the import but what is the easiest way to do this on existing records. Will a Work Flow cover this? If so what kind of Work Flow do I need to setup. Thanks for your help. To do Bulk Updates, select the records you want to edit and then select Edit from the More Actions menu. This will present you with a blank form. Changes you make to this form will be applied to all the records selected. -- Larry Lentz [CRM MVP] MCSE+I, MCS...

Why does this text automatically update?
I'm editing a newsletter used by former staff members created in Publisher 2003. (I'm using the same program.) There is a text box on each page in the same spot that says "Volume # Issue #." When I edit it on the first page it automatically changes on all the other pages. I don't think it is an object, embedded or linked or otherwise, because the "Edit Objects" option is greyed out. What is it, and how can I edit/replicate it? It's synchronized text. From Publisher's Help File: When you create a publication from a Publisher wizard or by using Publi...

filter a table based on a query
What I really want to do is update a table when another table has been edited. I have a table of attendence, and another for registration that the table attendence is created from based on an Append Query. I managed to create a delete query for when course are cancelled to delete records in the attendence table, but when an individual cancels a course, I'm having trouble figuring out how to delete because this query and table are not linked directly. So I was thinking alternatively of writing a macro and applying a query to filter my table and then working out that all 'present' fi...

RE: Install the correction update from the Microsoft
--cdfjsysqlcdpu Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="lgtoqnldawbpqmrot"; type="multipart/alternative" --lgtoqnldawbpqmrot Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="oiaosghhnqjyoimw" --oiaosghhnqjyoimw Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Client this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilit...

cannot update credit limit in Money 05
I just noticed, in Money 2005 I cannot change the credit limit on my credit cards like I could in previous versions. The help refers to clicking the "update credit information" button, but I don't have that button in this version. Does anyone else have the same problem? I don't use the internet to update my accounts (only the stock prices). Thanks, Tom This is M05 Standard? See these threads: http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?as_q=&num=10&scoring=r&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&as_epq=credit+limit&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.money&as_...

Elements Gallery doesn't update...
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel Hallo! When I click to the item in Elements Gallery in any Office application, for instance "Charts", the Elements Gallery opens. After second click to the same item the Elements Gallery closes and turns to white strap... Does anyone have the same problem? On 5/6/08 4:16 PM, in article 59b4d00d.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Andrey_Kazak@officeformac.com" <Andrey_Kazak@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) > Processor: intel > > Ha...

Tax Updation Not in Purchase Order and Receiving Transactions
I am able to do PO and Receving transactions through IM.But there is no mapping field for Tax in IM.I would suggest to include that also. This is a major problem for us. We need to either pass the tax amounts or have the tax amount calcilate based on the default tax schedule. "shyam" wrote: > I am able to do PO and Receving transactions through IM.But there is no > mapping field for Tax in IM.I would suggest to include that also. It is quite a disappointment that POP Integration is not complete. We all know that we need to enter tax details in the integrated transactio...

SharedCal update
I have some IMPORTANT information in relation to the procurement and development of this product on the website, which may be revelant to any partners OR for those customers interested in purchase of the source code, in respect of their own developments and customisations. Please visit and contact me with any interest via info@sharedcal.co.uk. I will contact anyone with serious interest in the above whenever possible, if a contact number is included on an email. Many Thanks www.sharedcal.co.uk ...

Can't turn off "Automatic" update on links
[Excel 2000]: I have checked the "update remote references" on the calc options menu, etc. Nothing works. I want to be asked to update links, as I always have in the past. Something has changed. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Steve Tools>Options>Edit. Check "ask to update automatic links". Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 11:08:07 -0800, "Steve Chambers" <stephen.g.chambers@delphi.com> wrote: >[Excel 2000]: I have checked the "update remote >references" on the calc options menu, etc. Nothing >wor...

Monthly Report by SQL Query
How do you query in RMS database so that you can output monthly breakdown of Sales/Cost/Profit to Excel? I don't want to use Quickbooks for reports. It would look like: Jan Feb Mar Apr... --------------+-----+-----+-----+--- Sales 500 530 530 350 Cost 200 203 398 129 Profit 300................... Thanks! The following instructions are vague, but you will be able to figure it out. create a new datasource pointing to your RMS database. start excel and create a new pivot table using external datasource. follow "wizard" customize query in M...

Animation query
I'm building a program that animates a ball moving around the screen. The ball is going to be a simple object, probably not much more than a small white circle. I haven't tried it yet, but am just trying to guage opinion from people who have done this sort of thing on what would be the best method to start investigating. I am planning on kicking off a thread to handle the repainting of the ball in a different position, and then letting that thread Sleep for a certain amount of time between frames, the time it would Sleep for would be guaged by how fast the ball is moving. I ju...