Sorting misc text into new fields if data exists in record update

I have inherited a database where someone in their infinite wisdom asked
staff to put four key fields into a memo field and separate them with a line
break.

I am trying to tidy up the field so that I can select the data (if it
exists) into four fields:

Date of payment.
Net amount.
Tax amount.
Interest added.

As a second complexity the data doesnt exist in all of the records i.e. the
member of staff may not have required to have input interest, have put the
heading in different orders or no descriptive of the amounts. I have tried to
input wildcards but dont know where to start in terms of finding the monetary
amount that follows this descriptive and assume that I will probably have to
run several versions of the query until I get all of the variants out.

The database is large so am trying to find a way of running an update to
field and delete from the memo field rather than have to wade in the old
fashioned way. Even if I could get a large chunk of the data into the new
fields and deleted from the existing field then that would be a great help.

All I can say is thank heavens for backups as I have tried several times
with poor results. The only guarantee is locating the date but how do I get
the query to take out the descriptve AND the date and only append the date to
the date field?

This approach may not be pretty (i.e., "elegant"), but it might work
(untested!)...

Export the memo fields and their respective rowIDs to Excel.

Try using Excel's parsing function(s) to split the memo field into (as many)
fields.

Import the parsed fields (and rowIDs) into Access.

Use queries to "distribute" the imported data as appropriate.

Good luck!

--

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned in
this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein does
not constitute endorsement thereof.

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"fishy" <fishy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have inherited a database where someone in their infinite wisdom asked
> staff to put four key fields into a memo field and separate them with a
> line
> break.
>
> I am trying to tidy up the field so that I can select the data (if it
> exists) into four fields:
>
> Date of payment.
> Net amount.
> Tax amount.
> Interest added.
>
> As a second complexity the data doesnt exist in all of the records i.e.
> the
> member of staff may not have required to have input interest, have put the
> heading in different orders or no descriptive of the amounts. I have tried
> input wildcards but dont know where to start in terms of finding the
> monetary
> amount that follows this descriptive and assume that I will probably have
> run several versions of the query until I get all of the variants out.
>
> The database is large so am trying to find a way of running an update to
> field and delete from the memo field rather than have to wade in the old
> fashioned way. Even if I could get a large chunk of the data into the new
> fields and deleted from the existing field then that would be a great
> help.
>
> All I can say is thank heavens for backups as I have tried several times
> with poor results. The only guarantee is locating the date but how do I
> get
> the query to take out the descriptve AND the date and only append the date
> the date field?

0
Jeff
1/24/2010 3:27:27 PM
got there eventually  with about 75% automated then a lot of manual
shovelling...

"Jeff Boyce" wrote:

> This approach may not be pretty (i.e., "elegant"), but it might work
> (untested!)...
>
> Export the memo fields and their respective rowIDs to Excel.
>
> Try using Excel's parsing function(s) to split the memo field into (as many)
> fields.
>
> Import the parsed fields (and rowIDs) into Access.
>
> Use queries to "distribute" the imported data as appropriate.
>
> Good luck!
>
> --
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Access MVP
>
> Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned in
> this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein does
> not constitute endorsement thereof.

> guarantee as to suitability.

> possible/necessary.
>
> "fishy" <fishy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have inherited a database where someone in their infinite wisdom asked
> > staff to put four key fields into a memo field and separate them with a
> > line
> > break.
> >
> > I am trying to tidy up the field so that I can select the data (if it
> > exists) into four fields:
> >
> > Date of payment.
> > Net amount.
> > Tax amount.
> > Interest added.
> >
> > As a second complexity the data doesnt exist in all of the records i.e.
> > the
> > member of staff may not have required to have input interest, have put the
> > heading in different orders or no descriptive of the amounts. I have tried
> > input wildcards but dont know where to start in terms of finding the
> > monetary
> > amount that follows this descriptive and assume that I will probably have
> > run several versions of the query until I get all of the variants out.
> >
> > The database is large so am trying to find a way of running an update to
> > field and delete from the memo field rather than have to wade in the old
> > fashioned way. Even if I could get a large chunk of the data into the new
> > fields and deleted from the existing field then that would be a great
> > help.
> >
> > All I can say is thank heavens for backups as I have tried several times
> > with poor results. The only guarantee is locating the date but how do I
> > get
> > the query to take out the descriptve AND the date and only append the date
> > the date field?
>

> .

Text Values
Hello, Can anybody help, I'm after making a spreadsheet in Excel to record times for individuals, for example if I typed in 'early shift' with the value of 10 hours, after 'noon shift' 8 hours as well as 'late' shift at 12 hours...etc, the total values would all show in a totals cell for that person. I would appreciate any help with the above. Love, Susan ***** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training & Add-ins. Free Excel Forum http://www.ozgrid.com/forum ***** Hi Susan one way: use a helper column which transforms this text string int...

Using Relative path for XML data file?

New Implementation

conditional formatting sort

The opposite of the "sort" function
I have a list of alphabetically ordered data in a column. Is there a function for randomizing the order of these data? see http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/samplenoreplace.html In article <1174843249.583556.129830@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, lucavilla@cashette.com wrote: > I have a list of alphabetically ordered data in a column. > Is there a function for randomizing the order of these data? Exellent solution! thanks! Let's say your data in A1:A10 In B1: =RAND() copy from B1 to B10 Select A1:B10 > Data > Sort > Sort by select Column B > select As...

Attaching Contacts to new email

New to excel

How to create an autonumber field?

data sort

New Record

Pulling data from separate tabs

get a result of an sql into a field

Formula for cross tab data filling

Load image in a unbound control from a attachment field in recor
I have a unbound (single not continuious) form with 16 differant records from the same recordset. No problem loading the this data from recordset in VBA. PROBLEM I need to know how to load the unbound controls with Image's from an attachment field in another recordset The normal method of control = Rs!field does not work Please advise -- Thanks Tom dans l'article 78DC5502-3A76-4562-AA20-736446AB1448@microsoft.com, Tom � Tom@discussions.microsoft.com a �crit le 21/01/08 20:28�: > I have a unbound (single not continuious) form with 16 differant records from > the same record...

Help with importing data

Security Updates-Uninstall
I was wondering if anyone knows how to backdown security updates? We ran the latest security updates for our servers and now most of our applications won't run properly. Has anyone had this experience before? Can we back these down? Cheers. Control Panel -> Add remove programs ??? "Geoff" wrote: > I was wondering if anyone knows how to backdown security > updates? We ran the latest security updates for our > servers and now most of our applications won't run > properly. Has anyone had this experience before? Can we > back these down? > ...

form fields not saving to table

Cannot Delete Any Records
We're running CRM 3 Rollup v3 and we have recently found that we cannot delete any records in CRM. We recently migrated over to a Windows 2003 Enterprise install running SQL 2000 Enterprise. Everything else is working without issue for us. For example I am a Sys Admin, and I receive a generic SQL Server error when going to delete an activity? I know that in the past this was possible, any thoughts? Sean; sounds like something went wrong with your migration. you can run a CRM trace or a SQL Profiler trace while performing the deletion to see if you can pin-point the error. Dave Ire...