Select All Names

We have a form with a combo box and that combo box executes a query to find
all of the records matching the user's name. The query derives that value
from a form based parameter called vName.

This is how the process works.

1. The user starts by selecting their name via a drop down list combo box on
a dialog form.
2. That selection becomes the value of vName.
3. The user clicks OK and then moves to the data entry form.
4. On the data entry form, the user then clicks on another combo box which
runs the aforementined query, which in turn uses the value of the variable
vName to find only those records which match vName.

That works great, however, a new problem arose yesterday. One of the users
asked for the option to query ALL names via the Combo Box on the data entry
form. I went back to dialog fom and tried everything I could think of, such
as giving them a drop down choice of  "Is Not Null", but nothing worked. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

"Robert T" <RobertT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a form with a combo box and that combo box executes a query to
> find
> all of the records matching the user's name. The query derives that value
> from a form based parameter called vName.
>
> This is how the process works.
>
> 1. The user starts by selecting their name via a drop down list combo box
> on
> a dialog form.
> 2. That selection becomes the value of vName.
> 3. The user clicks OK and then moves to the data entry form.
> 4. On the data entry form, the user then clicks on another combo box which
> runs the aforementined query, which in turn uses the value of the variable
> vName to find only those records which match vName.
>
> That works great, however, a new problem arose yesterday. One of the users
> asked for the option to query ALL names via the Combo Box on the data
> entry
> form. I went back to dialog fom and tried everything I could think of,
> such
> as giving them a drop down choice of  "Is Not Null", but nothing worked.
> Any
> suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Robert

There are links to examples of how to do this in various versions of Access
at the following URL ...

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=select+all+combo+box+access+microsoft+form
--
Brendan Reynolds

0
Brendan
3/7/2008 2:54:27 PM
You can use a Union query to add All as an option to your combo.  Here is an
example:

SELECT 0 As ID, "(All)" As Dummy FROM dbo_Initiative UNION SELECT StatusID,
StatusDescr FROM dbo_ProjectStatus;

--
Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

"Robert T" wrote:

> We have a form with a combo box and that combo box executes a query to find
> all of the records matching the user's name. The query derives that value
> from a form based parameter called vName.
>
> This is how the process works.
>
> 1. The user starts by selecting their name via a drop down list combo box on
> a dialog form.
> 2. That selection becomes the value of vName.
> 3. The user clicks OK and then moves to the data entry form.
> 4. On the data entry form, the user then clicks on another combo box which
> runs the aforementined query, which in turn uses the value of the variable
> vName to find only those records which match vName.
>
> That works great, however, a new problem arose yesterday. One of the users
> asked for the option to query ALL names via the Combo Box on the data entry
> form. I went back to dialog fom and tried everything I could think of, such
> as giving them a drop down choice of  "Is Not Null", but nothing worked. Any
> suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Robert
Brendan and Klatuu:

Thanks for advice, it's truly appreciated.

Brendan, some of those scripts in the link you sent seem pretty involved, so
I think I'm going to try the Union Query first.

I still don't understand why you can't simply put "Is Not Null" as one of
the choices which should, from my perspective, display every record that
isn't null.

Robert

Robert

"Brendan Reynolds" wrote:

> "Robert T" <RobertT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have a form with a combo box and that combo box executes a query to
> > find
> > all of the records matching the user's name. The query derives that value
> > from a form based parameter called vName.
> >
> > This is how the process works.
> >
> > 1. The user starts by selecting their name via a drop down list combo box
> > on
> > a dialog form.
> > 2. That selection becomes the value of vName.
> > 3. The user clicks OK and then moves to the data entry form.
> > 4. On the data entry form, the user then clicks on another combo box which
> > runs the aforementined query, which in turn uses the value of the variable
> > vName to find only those records which match vName.
> >
> > That works great, however, a new problem arose yesterday. One of the users
> > asked for the option to query ALL names via the Combo Box on the data
> > entry
> > form. I went back to dialog fom and tried everything I could think of,
> > such
> > as giving them a drop down choice of  "Is Not Null", but nothing worked.
> > Any
> > suggestions would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Robert
>

> There are links to examples of how to do this in various versions of Access
> at the following URL ...
>
> http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=select+all+combo+box+access+microsoft+form
> --
> Brendan Reynolds

One step paste of XLS file name in one of its own cells
Is there a way to automatically paste the file name of an open excel file into one of its own cells. I can paste the file name of a Word Document with a couple of easy steps into a Word document but cannot find a way to do so in Excel. Thanks SeeThomas Hi, Put this formula in a cell. It only works if the workbook has been saved =MID(CELL("filename",A1),1+FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1)),FIND(".",CELL("filename",A1))-FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1))-1) -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, ...

Selecting Dataset(s) From Data Picklist
I'm trying to create a Pivot Table using multiple datasets, each set a different metric used to evaluate individual performance. When I first add each item to the data field they show up on the "data" grey button picklist along with the usual "(show all)" option. If I de-select one of the items it disappears permanently from the picklist making it impossible to re-select it. (I can add it again but cannot give it to my boss this way!) Is there something "special" about the data field that prohibits what I'm trying to do? This behavior does no...

Formula To Split Name
I have a list of names in colum B, that I would like to split into column C and D. The names in column B have a first name, middle intial and a last name. I would like the last name to go into column c and the first name and middle initial to go into column D. Column B Column C Column D Mary A Jones Jones Mary A Hi, Put this in column C =RIGHT(B1,LEN(B1)-FIND("*",SUBSTITUTE(B1," ","*",LEN(B1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(B1," ",""))))) Then this in column D ...

Display name
how do you stop outlook from displaying your name when sending an email??? Hi, go to "Tools, Accounts" then "Properties, General" tab Delete "Name" from "User information" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ee6101c3bd4a$b27be740$a601280a@phx.gbl... > how do you stop outlook from displaying your name when > sending an email??? >-----Original Message----- >Hi, go to >"Tools, Accounts" then "Properties, General" tab >Delete "Name" from "User information" > >...

Credit Union name change
Folks: I am using Money 2005. My Credit Union which was one of the listed institution AEACU has changed its name to Key Point Credit Union and the website is www.keypointcu.com. I am not able to automatically sync to this credit union. How can I fix the website and in the list of institution supported so I can have the information automated between MS Money and the credit union. Any help is much appreciated. Please let me know at v.sureshvenkat at gmail dot com. Thanks -Suresh ...

Separating Names & Last Names #3
I have a long list of Las Names and Names coming from a database, in this way Russel...Mark (the dot comes in different numbers from 2 to 6), what I am trying to do is with a formula, separate last name and put that in a column & name put in a different column. A solution was given to use Text to column with delimiter as ".", but unfortunately, about 25 % of lines is not separated why I do not know, 2 lines could have the same number of characters and same number of "."s, and one is not separated. does somebody knows another solutionwith a formula. Thanks We hav...

Asian Font Name Display
Hi, there, I have installed MS Office 2004 for Mac, Chinese fonts can display correctly in Word -> Format -> Font, but can not display coreectly in Word -> Font. Also, I installed font from Windows, it can not display Chinese font name even in Word -> Format -> Font. Can any one know the solution? Thanks in advance. ...

Deleted user confused with active user w/same last name
There was a user in our org that is now deleted from the system that has the same last name as an active user still in the system. When someone tries to invite the active user to a meeting they are getting an email error back stating that the deleted user cannot be found in Exchange. The deleted user is not being selected in Outlook for the meeting but for some reason Outlook is trying to invite the wrong user to the meeting. I can't figure out why this is happening, does anyone have any suggestions what I can look for to correct this? Thanks. On 23 Jan 2006 18:25:39 -0800, tdunnusa@...

File name and path
I know how to insert the file name and path into an excel file. Does anybody know how to ensure that unique file path is kept when sending the excel file as an excel attachment without physically typing the file name and path into a header or footer. Thanks in advance John But once the recipient saves it to their location, the location/filename could change???? This formula will return the path, workbook name, and sheet name (after the workbook's been saved): =CELL("Filename",A1) If you really don't want it to change, type in the formula and instead of hitting enter...

Resolving Sender Display Name
I just upgraded my Exchange site to Exchange 2003 from Exchange 2000. I've been noticing that on incoming messages the Sender's e-mail address is no longer being resolved to it's display name. I just see the sender's SMTP address. I did some research and found a Microsoft article that mentions the suppression of sender display name resolution is a feature of Exchange 2003 (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/msit/valuecard/msghygien...). However, it doesn't discuss how this functionality is enabled or disabled. Does anyone know where this functionality is con...

VBA, Changing Datafield Name
Hi ALL This is my first post, so excuse me for any faux pas on etiquette. I'm creating various pivot tables by VBA code. For each datafield I change the name so that the columns would not be too wide, and so that I don't get the "Sum of " thing. My methodolgy of changing the name relies on the datafield starting with 'Somme' (Note that I use French excel). I notice that Excel 02 has 'Somme de ' meaning that my code comes to a halt. I have stuck in a few lines of 'IF' statements relating to Excel version to remedy this. However, this is not all encom...

print selected text OL2003
hey folks been beating my head on wall for a few days now any one knows a way to set printing options/styles to print selected text in a message ? this is for MS Outlook 2003. thanks no, it's an all or nothing deal. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter: ...

Profile names
I have multiple profiles in Outlook, one for each member of my family. How do I get the profile name to appear on the password screen? Instead of the profile name, I get Outlook1, or Outlook2, etc. Similarly, is there any way to get Outlook to display the name of the profile that is running? Right now, I can't by looking at the screen tell "whose" Outlook profile is active. Thanks. You could choose the name of the profile when you created them. Now you can copy the profile and give it a new name and delete the old one. You can rename the Outlook Today folder (rot folde...

Renamed invalid sheet name
I have a routine that opens a workbook to access data and then closes it. It has worked fine for years with XP and Excel 2000. Since changing to Win 7 and Excel 2003 it will no longer automatically open. A warning box appears "Repairs to 'Workbook'" and the message "Renamed invalid sheet name". After closing the message box it renames the worksheet to "Recovered_Sheet 1" and opens the workbook. However, this is a manual process and I need it to be automated as before. What I have found (I believe) is that if the file name includes "...

Selective pasting with Format Painter
We have seen many threads recommending the Format Painter be used to copy specific formats or styles to other cells. Unfortunately, we cannot find how to specify which specific attributes are copied or which are pasted? Does the Format Painter only copy ALL formats (color, font, outline, number, conditional format, etc.) or can it be used to copy a specific single attribute of the format to other cells? Format painter pastes all formats - if you want some subset of formatting, then you would need to use a button with a custom macro, or simply use those buttons that control the aspect...

Method of viewing/naming columns or conversions for same
Hi. How does one change the way a sheet calls out the columns so that it is as a numeric form? Is it able to be sheet specific or does it require the entire workbook carry the same format? In EXCEL 2007:- Office Button (top left hand corner) Excel Options (lower right hand corner) Formulas - make sure that there is a tick (check) in the box called:- R1C1 reference style It applies to the whole Workbook. If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks. "Copacetic" wrote: > > Hi. How does one change the way a sheet calls out...

Disable macro security for selected workbook
I am using Excel 2003. I know how to lower the macro security warning from Tools, Option, etc. However, I do not want to turn this feature off for every workbook. I only want to turn it off for a specific workbook when ever the end user opens it. Can this be done? Maybe with VBA? How? TIA. Jan If you think about it, being able to lower macro security from a macro may defeat the object. You could sign the project and that could then be added to the trusted list or you could install it as an add-in (*.xla). Neither way will fire the warning -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Ex...

Adding selected cells
If i have a list of numbers say in cells c1 to c10 and i have a sum to add these all together and display the answer in c11. I want to be able to only allow the cells (c1 to c10) which have been allowed to be part of the sum by entering a figure in d1 to d10 i.e if c2 contains �20 it cannot be added until d2 has a figure in it. Any help would be great. -- alanled ------------------------------------------------------------------------ alanled's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30949 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threa...

OL 2000 Select "Send From" Account
I used to have OL 2002. It had a drop-down on the "Send" button that allowed me to choose the account from which I wanted to send the e-mail. How do I get OL 2000 to let me choose a specific account to send from - NOT - to have the e-mail read "On Behalf Of ..."? Thanks. Outlook 2000 doesn't support that feature, except in Internet Mail mode - see Help, about to see which mode you are using. See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/choosingmode.htm to learn about which mode is best for you. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 2...

Setting default author name
When I save a document, it will only show my surname (in Properties/Summary/Author). I would like to include my first name also. Is there a way to set it as default so it does this automatically? At the moment I do it manually, but by the 20th document, it becomes all very tiresome! Any thoughts/suggestions would be most appreciated. ...

Select Multiple Objects
How do I select multiple objects in a spreadsheet wihout selecting the cells? Oscar Click on the first object, and then hold the shift key and select the other objects Good Luck Mark Graesse mark_graesser@yahoo.co ----- Oscar wrote: ---- How do I select multiple objects in a spreadsheet wihout selecting the cells ...

Select a cell and lock it...
Hello, In regards to formulas.... If I enter an "=" sign, as to indicate the beginnings of a formula in one cell, is it possible to select another cell and automatically anchor that specific cell in the formula without having to type the "$" in the forumla... Example... I would like to select B12 as $B$12 and place it in the formula without having to go back and type in the "$" in the cell containing the formula. Is there a key combination that will allow this, or I am stuck having to type those "$"'s everytime? Thanks in advance. Josh ...

Quickest way to add one more name to a rule?
In OL2003, I have created a rule that if a piece of email arrives from anyone on a certain list of people it automatically gets delivered to a special folder "Work email". Every once in a while, I get an email from someone who ought to be on that lsit, but isn't. So I go into Tools/Rules, find the rule, and manually ad their name to the ever-growing list. IS there an easier way to do this? Is there some way I can just drag their name to the list somewhere? (The closest I've been able to come to a shortcut is when the email is opened, go to Actions/Create Rule, and ...

Charting Using Defined Names
I have a workbook that contains numerous charts. I am updating the chart trends by manually editing the formula that define the trend data. I would like to create defined names, and through VBA, update the definition for the ranges. HOW do I incorporate a defined name into the formula for the trend? You probably don't need VBA: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DynamicColumnChart1.html http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ &...

Automatically naming a file using cell contents
How do I use the contents of a cell to automatically name a file using a macro to populate Save As? Include this in your macro: Activeworkbook.SaveAs Filenmae:=Range("A1").Value & ".xls" tj "Rob" wrote: > How do I use the contents of a cell to automatically name a file using a > macro to populate Save As? ...