Run query or report from multiple tables

I have three tables:

Equipment
Instruments
System Numbers

Each record in the tables 'equipment' and 'instruments' has three lookup
fields that link to fields to the 'system numbers' table.'

How can I create a query or report that lists all records contained within
the equipment and instruments tables that are linked to the system numbers
table?

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:20:01 -0800, Sim <Sim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have three tables:
>
>Equipment
>Instruments
>System Numbers
>
>Each record in the tables 'equipment' and 'instruments' has three lookup
>fields that link to fields to the 'system numbers' table.'
>
>How can I create a query or report that lists all records contained within
>the equipment and instruments tables that are linked to the system numbers
>table?

By forgetting that Lookup Fields ever existed (since they shouldn't have).

Create a Query joining Equipment to *three instances* of the System Numbers
table - add the table to the grid three times, joining each instance to the
appropriate field.

Since there is apparently no relationship between the Equipment and
Instruments table, you may need a UNION query with a similar query joining
Instruments to three instances of System Numbers. See the online help for
UNION.

If instruments and equipment are in fact related, please explain how...

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
11/27/2007 6:34:07 AM
The only relationship between the instruments and equipments field is the
lookup fields contained in the System No's Field.

E.g. The System Numbers table has two fields that are linked to all tables
within the database:

1. System No
2. Sub-System No

So each record in the instruments and equipments tables must relate to both
fields - system and sub-system (hence the lookup). The system and sub-system
numbers would be the only fields that relate the instruments and equipment
tables though.

What I am trying to create is a report that will list all instrument and
equipment numbers by System Number and/or Sub-System No.

Hope I've explained better ... ...

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:20:01 -0800, Sim <Sim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have three tables:
> >
> >Equipment
> >Instruments
> >System Numbers
> >
> >Each record in the tables 'equipment' and 'instruments' has three lookup
> >fields that link to fields to the 'system numbers' table.'
> >
> >How can I create a query or report that lists all records contained within
> >the equipment and instruments tables that are linked to the system numbers
> >table?
>
> By forgetting that Lookup Fields ever existed (since they shouldn't have).
>
> Create a Query joining Equipment to *three instances* of the System Numbers
> table - add the table to the grid three times, joining each instance to the
> appropriate field.
>
> Since there is apparently no relationship between the Equipment and
> Instruments table, you may need a UNION query with a similar query joining
> Instruments to three instances of System Numbers. See the online help for
> UNION.
>
> If instruments and equipment are in fact related, please explain how...
>
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]

Bring SystemNumbers, Instruments and Equipments table in a new query. JOIN
the fields SystemNo and SubSystemNo from SystemNumbers to the same field in
Instruments. Right click on each of the two lines showing the join, to edit
the join, to keep all records from SystemNumbers. Repeat the two-fields join
between SystemNumbers and Equipments (and again, edit BOTH lines, else you
get an error) to keep all records from SystemNumbers.

Bring the fields you want from the tables.  If an instrument or an equipment
has no matching (SystemNo, SubSystemNo) it won't be listed. If SystemNumbers
has a (SystemNo, SubSystemNo) which is not found in Equipments, fields
picked from Equipments will be all null.

Hoping it may help,
Vanderghast, Access MVP

"Sim" <Sim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The only relationship between the instruments and equipments field is the
> lookup fields contained in the System No's Field.
>
> E.g. The System Numbers table has two fields that are linked to all tables
> within the database:
>
> 1. System No
> 2. Sub-System No
>
> So each record in the instruments and equipments tables must relate to
> both
> fields - system and sub-system (hence the lookup). The system and
> sub-system
> numbers would be the only fields that relate the instruments and equipment
> tables though.
>
> What I am trying to create is a report that will list all instrument and
> equipment numbers by System Number and/or Sub-System No.
>
> Hope I've explained better ... ...
>

> "John W. Vinson" wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:20:01 -0800, Sim <Sim@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I have three tables:
>> >
>> >Equipment
>> >Instruments
>> >System Numbers
>> >
>> >Each record in the tables 'equipment' and 'instruments' has three lookup
>> >fields that link to fields to the 'system numbers' table.'
>> >
>> >How can I create a query or report that lists all records contained
>> >within
>> >the equipment and instruments tables that are linked to the system
>> >numbers
>> >table?
>>
>> By forgetting that Lookup Fields ever existed (since they shouldn't
>> have).
>>
>> Create a Query joining Equipment to *three instances* of the System
>> Numbers
>> table - add the table to the grid three times, joining each instance to
>> the
>> appropriate field.
>>
>> Since there is apparently no relationship between the Equipment and
>> Instruments table, you may need a UNION query with a similar query
>> joining
>> Instruments to three instances of System Numbers. See the online help for
>> UNION.
>>
>> If instruments and equipment are in fact related, please explain how...
>>
>>              John W. Vinson [MVP]

0
Michel
11/27/2007 3:28:26 PM
Thanks Michel - that works.

Is there a way I can link another table - call this one P&ID - which similar
to the SystemNumbers table - has a link to each record in the Instruments and
Equipments tables?

I tried to add it into the query the same as the joins to the SystemNumbers
table but Access doesn't like it!

"Michel Walsh" wrote:

> Bring SystemNumbers, Instruments and Equipments table in a new query. JOIN
> the fields SystemNo and SubSystemNo from SystemNumbers to the same field in
> Instruments. Right click on each of the two lines showing the join, to edit
> the join, to keep all records from SystemNumbers. Repeat the two-fields join
> between SystemNumbers and Equipments (and again, edit BOTH lines, else you
> get an error) to keep all records from SystemNumbers.
>
> Bring the fields you want from the tables.  If an instrument or an equipment
> has no matching (SystemNo, SubSystemNo) it won't be listed. If SystemNumbers
> has a (SystemNo, SubSystemNo) which is not found in Equipments, fields
> picked from Equipments will be all null.
>

> Hoping it may help,
> Vanderghast, Access MVP
>

> "Sim" <Sim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The only relationship between the instruments and equipments field is the
> > lookup fields contained in the System No's Field.
> >
> > E.g. The System Numbers table has two fields that are linked to all tables
> > within the database:
> >
> > 1. System No
> > 2. Sub-System No
> >
> > So each record in the instruments and equipments tables must relate to
> > both
> > fields - system and sub-system (hence the lookup). The system and
> > sub-system
> > numbers would be the only fields that relate the instruments and equipment
> > tables though.
> >
> > What I am trying to create is a report that will list all instrument and
> > equipment numbers by System Number and/or Sub-System No.
> >
> > Hope I've explained better ... ...
> >

> > "John W. Vinson" wrote:

> >> By forgetting that Lookup Fields ever existed (since they shouldn't
> >> have).
> >>
> >> Create a Query joining Equipment to *three instances* of the System
> >> Numbers
> >> table - add the table to the grid three times, joining each instance to
> >> the
> >> appropriate field.
> >>
> >> Since there is apparently no relationship between the Equipment and
> >> Instruments table, you may need a UNION query with a similar query
> >> joining
> >> Instruments to three instances of System Numbers. See the online help for
> >> UNION.
> >>
> >> If instruments and equipment are in fact related, please explain how...
> >>
> >>              John W. Vinson [MVP]

Make another query?

Or, merge the two tables, vertically:

SELECT SystemNumber, SubSystemNumber, "SystemNumber" AS origine FROM
SystemNumbers
UNION ALL
SELECT SystemNumber, SubSystemNumber, "P&ID"  FROM [p&ID]

save that query as, say, qu1, and then, use qu1 instead of SystemNumbers in
the query that involves only SystemNumbers

> Thanks Michel - that works.
>
> Is there a way I can link another table - call this one P&ID - which
> similar
> to the SystemNumbers table - has a link to each record in the Instruments
> and
> Equipments tables?
>
> I tried to add it into the query the same as the joins to the
> SystemNumbers
> table but Access doesn't like it!
>
> "Michel Walsh" wrote:
>
>> Bring SystemNumbers, Instruments and Equipments table in a new query.
>> JOIN
>> the fields SystemNo and SubSystemNo from SystemNumbers to the same field
>> in
>> Instruments. Right click on each of the two lines showing the join, to
>> edit
>> the join, to keep all records from SystemNumbers. Repeat the two-fields
>> join
>> between SystemNumbers and Equipments (and again, edit BOTH lines, else
>> you
>> get an error) to keep all records from SystemNumbers.
>>
>> Bring the fields you want from the tables.  If an instrument or an
>> equipment
>> has no matching (SystemNo, SubSystemNo) it won't be listed. If
>> SystemNumbers
>> has a (SystemNo, SubSystemNo) which is not found in Equipments, fields
>> picked from Equipments will be all null.
>>

>> Hoping it may help,
>> Vanderghast, Access MVP
>>

>> "Sim" <Sim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > The only relationship between the instruments and equipments field is
>> > the
>> > lookup fields contained in the System No's Field.
>> >
>> > E.g. The System Numbers table has two fields that are linked to all
>> > tables
>> > within the database:
>> >
>> > 1. System No
>> > 2. Sub-System No
>> >
>> > So each record in the instruments and equipments tables must relate to
>> > both
>> > fields - system and sub-system (hence the lookup). The system and
>> > sub-system
>> > numbers would be the only fields that relate the instruments and
>> > equipment
>> > tables though.
>> >
>> > What I am trying to create is a report that will list all instrument
>> > and
>> > equipment numbers by System Number and/or Sub-System No.
>> >
>> > Hope I've explained better ... ...

0
Michel

Three different fields in one record referencing to three different records in another table
Hi. I have TableA and TableB TableA has 3 fields where types of file extensions (for different purpose) are supposed to be stored. Table B has many extension type strings for these TableA three fields (.tif, .jpg, .pdf, .gif, etc). 3 combo boxes refer to Table B to get and store TableB keys in TableA appropriated fields. When I set up table retaionship, Acces 'creates' also TableB_1 and TableB_2 and show a diagram where two other similar to tabelB tables show up. So long so good. I can create records in TableA having chosen, for each different file purpose, the respective extens...

YTD Reports
I have a report that pulls YTD reports. Since we are now going into a new year I would like it to only report 2008 data what do I need to put in the query to make it only pull the current year data? Assuming you have a date field to base this on Field: SomeDate Criteria: > DateSerial(Year(Date()),1,1) That criteria gets all records on or after midnight of January 1 of the current year (as determined by your computer's system date). -- John Spencer Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007 Center for Health Program Development and Management University of Maryland Baltimore County .. "Sar...

Run-time error 438
I'm trying to find out why this code is not working. With Worksheets("Multi-period Code data").ListBox1 .Clear For FillCount = 1 To Worksheets("ClassCodes").Range("E1") .AddItem Worksheets("ClassCodes").Range("C1").Offset(FillCount, 0) Next FillCount .ListIndex = Worksheets("Multi-period Code data").Range("O1").Value End With Just to clarify, there is a sheet named "Multi-period Code data" and ListBox1 exists on the sheet. The err...

Deleting 1 folder across multiple Mailboxes
We created a duplicate junk mail folder and want to delete it across multiple mailboxes. Is there a utility that will do this or do we need to open each mailbox individually? We have 1200 mailboxes. Thank you Exmerge.exe will do this...it is available at download.microsoft.com. "Griff" <Griff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:886F1600-5F60-43F1-9F64-968C2F0FB115@microsoft.com... > We created a duplicate junk mail folder and want to delete it across > multiple > mailboxes. Is there a utility that will do this or do we need to open > each &...

COUNT expression in a report
> Hi > I have a field, named [Type]. > In a report, what is the expression to count this field “[Type]” where > Type="Truck" > ??? =Count([Type]) where type = “Truck” > Thanks Trying, In the Control Source of an unbound textbox in the Footer or Header of the report... =Sum(IIf([Type]="Truck",1,0)) -- Steve Schapel, Microsoft Access MVP Trying wrote: >> Hi >> I have a field, named [Type]. >> In a report, what is the expression to count this field �[Type]� where >> Type="Truck" >> ??? =Count([Type]) wher...

Disable prompt for external query
My worksheet includes an external query set to run when the file is opened. Whenever the file is opened, the user gets prompted to enable automatic refresh. Is this possible to automatically bypass? I'd like the query update to happen seamlessly without any prompting. This link will provide details of how to do what you want: http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/assistance/HA011362611033.aspx "Hall" wrote: > My worksheet includes an external query set to run when the file is opened. > > Whenever the file is opened, the user gets prompted to enable automatic >...

Criteria for select query.
I have Access2003. I need a criteria expression to select certain data from a query QryLedgerTxns. When the ledger is reconciled with the bank statement, that statement date is manually entered into a QryLedgerTxns field called "DateStatement". The "DateStatement" field matches a ledger transaction field called "Withdrawal" My aim is to add up all the sums in the "Withdrawal" field *not* reconciled with the bank statement. The "Withdrawal" field is currency. The "DateStatement" field is Date/time. Therefo...

m_hWnd unused when running in debugger
I've inherited a sort of a client/server application which runs in release mode but not in debug mode. The client application is a dialog-based mfc application which uses a window handle in a call to establish a callback scheme thus: if (WSAAsyncSelect(s, hWndc, WM_TCP_FD_READ, FD_CONNECT | FD_ACCEPT | FD_READ | FD_CLOSE | FD_WRITE)) DisplayServer("Async Socket Failure"); When compiled for release it works; when running in the debugger, that hWndc parameter which is set to this->m_hWnd in the OnInitialUpdate function for the main dialog window is unused and that seems t...

append query with dtae and username
I am using an append query to add a new line to my table - one of the field in this table is "Update_Date" and one is "Updated_By". How via this query I can populated those two fields with the current date&Time and current username of the user . Many thanks, Dan Please ignore- wrong Group, sorry "Dan" wrote: > I am using an append query to add a new line to my table - one of the field > in this table is "Update_Date" and one is "Updated_By". > How via this query I can populated those two fields with the current ...

Saved Queries #2
We are using Exchange Server 2003 and Windows Server 2003. On our DC, I created a number of Saved Queries that provide a list of members for our mail-enabled distribution lists. Right now the only fileds that appear in the result is the Name and Type (contact, user). In order to get the Display name and Email addresses to appear, I have to go to View --> Add/Remove Columns and add them that way. Is there a way to use the AND operator when setting up the queries? Also, I found out that you can export the query definition and then import it but you can't export the saved querie...

Query--using Access 2007
I have a tblAddress table with a lookup field called TypeofAddressID. A company may have many addresses with different TypeofAddressID—such as 1 = Business, 2 = Mailstop, 3 = PO Box, and so on. I need to pull out TypeofAddressID # 1. Then if a 1 is not available, give me the type that is (which may be the PO address or Mailstop). I tried DLookup, Xor, and IIf([TypeofAddressID]=1, 1, IIf([TypeofAddressID]=2, 2, IIf([TypeofAddressID]=3, 3, 4))), but it is listing all addresses per company instead of either or. Any suggestions? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster....

Purchasing Mix & Match Tables- what do you think???
Microsoft should add a Mix & Match table for purchasing. It would act the same way it would for the sale of an item only it would help calculate the Purchase Orders. Example: I buy cases of coke. I need 100 cases to reach a qty discount. A purchase order report would calculate the products needed to reach the level. This would be an priority trigger over the ROP. For example if I sold 25 cases of each (coke, diet coke, caf free coke, caf free diet coke) and my reorder point was 30 case sales(for each) a purchase order would not be generated. If the Mix & Match PO could do a: cal...

popup calendar with multiple months
I currently have popup calender in Excel to fill in cells with the date. I would like to be able to view 3 months at a time How can I change my set up to allow this. ...

showing last memo entry in report
Hello, I have a db that tracks projects and their details. I have a memo field entitled 'Notes' which is used to enter project data. This field can be quite large as notes can be added on various dates. To keep track of the dates that a particular note was added I simply put in the after update field on the form the following code to add in the date that a note was added: Me.Notes = Me.Notes & " -* " & Format(Date, "dd-mmm-yy") & "*" & vbCrLf I currently have a report that I run for the project details and what I would like is not to ...

Chart item reports with OUTLOOK via Excel or ?
I want to create reports for OUTLOOK items (particularly tasks). I'd like to be able to see charts that display things like the amount of time spent on tasks for various clients, the type of work done, and the dates (including time of day). I'd like to be able to look at these reports daily if possible. Is there a way that I can do this? I thought that there must be a way by exporting the items into excel then manually setting up charts but this would be time consuming to do each time. Any help is appreciated (I've spent days trying to figure this out) ...

Cross Tab Query in Form
I have a 'Crosstab Query' that calculates my each month's calls. The query is working fine. Every time a new month starst another column get updated itself. But when I display it in a form only those columns come that I had added myself in while creating form, the new month's column dosen't not appear it self. Is there any way that we the form's column get updated itself ? Thanking you in anticipation Regards, Hasnain raja Hi Hasnain, I have not tried using a crosstab query with a form (since crosstab queries are read only). The column names are determined at run-t...

Write to Module While Macro is Running
I have a macro that allows the user to study vocabulary words. At the outset the array is filled with integers, one for each word. A number is randomly selected from the array and the word corresponding to that number is examined. That number is then removed from the array. Only after all words have been examined is the array is repopulated with all of the numbers. This allows to the user to examine all words before a specific word is encountered again. On exiting the workbook, whatever numbers remain in the array are written to a worksheet, so that the array can be filled with o...

If formula that looks at multiple cells and values, and then calul
I'm trying to put together a production spreadsheet for mechanical manufacturing that figures out a length of one piece of material based on other dimensions. It's for storm shutter parts and the cut dimensions need to be calculated from the field measures. There are many types of tracks available and the blade length is dependant upon the finish height, track type and structure. I need the formula to look at 5 different cells that may or may not have data for the top track and only use the data from the one that's filled out. Same for the bottom track for a total of 10 ...

Query SELECT in SELECT?
Hi I would appriciate if somebody can help me with the following query: tbDeliveryLines - dlID - dlDate - dlCurrencyID - dlQTY - dlUnitPrice tbExchangeRates - erID - erCurrencyID - erValidFrom - erFXRate I would like to build a query which would return all my delivery lines + lookup a valid FX rate from tbExchangeRates for a entered curreny (dlCurrencyID) and date (dlDate) Example: tbExchangeRates erID, erCurrencyID, erValidFrom, erFXRate 1, 1, 01-JAN-2010, 31 2, 1, 01-FEB-2010, 32 3, 1, 01-MAR-2010, 33 4, 2, 01-MAR-2010, 50 Query should return: dlDate, d...

can only see one page of a multiple page publisher file
today can only see the first page of a file in publisher....checked the attributes removed the read only....could not remove from overall i.e. my documents...can pull up on another computer via network and see all....so file appears to be okay...can also print all pages, but can only see and work with page one...HELP.....AND A BIG THANKS TO WHOMEVER!!!! What happens when you try to click on the other pages? Do you have the status bar turned on? (View - Status bar) -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "CON" <CON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

Link Two Tables with AutoNumber fields to One Form
Hi, I'm really stumped on this one: Right now I have a form that is linked to my Registration table. I want it to also be linked to my ID table, because I want to be able to update both tables using one form. I heard of creating a sub-form. Would this solve the trick? Right now, when I create a new record in the form, the AutoID of the Registration table increases sequentially. I want to be able to also have the ID table increase its AutoID and create a new record in that table too. That way I can use that new ID table value to create a value that will eventually be stored in...

Custom reports #5
I had a bunch of custom reports that I downloaded somewhere, but can not remember... I have since changed machines and lost them.. Anyone know where the cash of customer reports might be? thanks brent There's a reports library on CustomerSource, if that's what you mean. Tom -- Stop fishing for e-mail "Brent" wrote: > I had a bunch of custom reports that I downloaded somewhere, but can not > remember... I have since changed machines and lost them.. Anyone know > where the cash of customer reports might be? > thanks > brent > > > ...

Report Footer Grand TL not appearing on one page report with colum
In Access 2007, I have a report with 2 columns of data with sums created in a footer. At the bottom of the one-page report, I would like the Grand Total. I can calculate the Grand Total in the Report Footer, but it jumps to a second page even when I have plenty of room on the first page. I do not have this problem when page setup has data reading across the 2 columns, but I would like the data to read vertically and not horizontally. Thank you. Chiz wrote: >In Access 2007, I have a report with 2 columns of data with sums created in a >footer. At the bottom of the one-pag...

calculating in a report
i have a report that needs to calculate a total bassed on user input. Ex. assigned = 1 attached = 1 and detached = -1 i need to total the values together i'm either doing my iif wrong or going the wrong way about it thank you for your time Post your code and a bit more info, your question is not clear. -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "JWalk" wrote: > i have a report that needs to calculate a total bassed on user input. Ex. > assigned = 1 attached = 1 and detached = -1 i need to total the values > together i'm either doing my iif wrong or going the wron...

can't save files in Office2001 running on OSX
I'm running Office2001 for mac on my OSX system through OS9. The applications work fine until I try to save. "Save", "Save As", and "Save as Web Page" all make the windows blink as if it's going to do something, but then nothing else happens--no save window, no files on my hard drive. Any ideas why this might be happening, or how I can fix it? You thoughts are greatly appreciated! Jake ...