Record Selection

I am working with a part number that is 10-11 alpha numeric characters.  I
need to focus on the 8th character which represents the color of the item and
make a selection as to the color.

I started looking at the "Like" function, but couldn't figure out how to
have it look at the 8th character only.

I am using Access 2000.

Any help would be appreciated.

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 13:51:02 -0700, Dmario wrote:

> I am working with a part number that is 10-11 alpha numeric characters.  I
> need to focus on the 8th character which represents the color of the item and
> make a selection as to the color.
>
> I started looking at the "Like" function, but couldn't figure out how to
> have it look at the 8th character only.
>
> I am using Access 2000.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

ColorChar:InStr([PartNumber],8)

will return the 8th character.
--
Fred
Please respond only to this newsgroup.
wrote:

>I am working with a part number that is 10-11 alpha numeric characters.  I
>need to focus on the 8th character which represents the color of the item and
>make a selection as to the color.
>
>I started looking at the "Like" function, but couldn't figure out how to
>have it look at the 8th character only.
>
>I am using Access 2000.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.

A couple of ways.

Mid([partnumber], 8, 1)

will return the 8th character from the string; or you can in fact use Like:

LIKE "???????" & [Enter color code:] & "*"

will prompt for a one-character color and find records containing that value
as the 8th byte.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

Merge records function
Is it possible to reuse the record merge function in CRM. Fx to call the function with a valid Account GUID with a URL-call to mergerecords ? I want this to open the merge windows with the GUID as the master record. ...

-1026 JET_errRecordTooBig, Record larger than maximum size
I administer a single Windows 2003 domain, Native Mode only W3k servers and use Exchange 2003. I am seeing this error in all DC Directory Service Event Logs. Event Type: Error Event Source: NTDS SDPROP Event Category: Internal Processing Event ID: 2008 Date: 28/07/2004 Time: 6:38:04 PM User: NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON Computer: TLSAD1 Description: Internal error: The security descriptor propagation task encountered an error while processing the following object. The propagation of security descriptors may not be possible until the problem is corrected. Object: CN=internal 29176...

Important Word Options to be selected in Word 2007
-- mprnair What about them? -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "mprnair" <mprnair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:355F31FF-4AAB-4ED6-B326-88FA301C0EED@microsoft.com... > > -- > mprnair > ...

Previous Record
How do I access a field from the previous record in a form To programmatically read the value from the previous record, regardless of how the form is sorted or filtered, use the RecordsetClone of the form. This kind of thing: Function GetPreviousValue(frm As Form, strField As String) As Variant On Error GoTo Err_Handler 'Purpose: Return the value from the previous row of the form. 'Keywords: PriorRow PreviousValue Dim rs As DAO.Recordset Set rs = frm.RecordsetClone rs.Bookmark = frm.Bookmark rs.MovePrevious GetPreviousValue = rs(strField) Set rs...

substraction of sequential records
I need to calculate moving ranges in either a report or query. Currently my query returns TestTime (ascending) and TestResult. The moving range is the absolute difference between two consecutive samples. TestTime TestResult MovingRange 8am 20 -- 9am 24 4 10am 21 3 11am 26 5 Once all the moving ranges are calculated, I need to report the average of the moving ranges. ...

2 criteria cells used to select which validation list to use
Greetings All: (Excel 2003) I'm trying to "clean up" various workbooks and consolidate into one workbook (probably about 75 sheets, when done). I have come to the conclusion that, for clarity of my formulas, I should have used range names. I have the Name Manager, version 3.2 from Jan Karel, which hopefully will prove to be more than a little useful. My current problem relates to the use of validation, based on info from two cells, (either/or), and requiring a result of 1 of 2 validation lists. I hope the following is clear. Cell C3: Truck Cell D3 = 0 (not applicable) or 1...

Advance filter not filtering unique records only
Hi, I have a user who has four large lists, he wants to combine them into two master lists; but hide or delete duplicates. I showed him how to use Advance Filter and he said it worked perfectly for combination; but the second worksheet did not filter only unique records. He assured me he followed the directions and click "Unique Records" in the Advance filter dialog box; but it didn't work. Can you guys give me a few more avenues he can pursue: (I suggested misspelled entries, and double-checking his work.) Thanks Kim I agree with you. My bet is that there is a typo or even ...

synchronized combo boxes moving between records problem
Sorry if this has been answered, I couldn't find the exact problem elsewhere! I'm only a beginner at this but when i select the right ID from the first combo box, i got it to come up with the correct related IDs in the second combo box , like it's meant to! but when I move to the next record (a new one, or the last one, or anything), the second combo box doesn't retain the record. As in, as you scroll through each record, none of the second combo box 'records' are kept, they are all blank until you click on them, then they come up with your choices, UNLESS you ...

Field with running count of records
Hi, I have a query with fields such as date, Item Number and Quantity. I want to create an additional field called Count that will act like an autonumber. It will assign a value of 1 for the first record, 2 for the second number etc. Can someone tell me how to do this? Thanks, -- Chuck W There are tons of posts on how to create a "ranking" query. You must have a field or fields that uniquely identify the sort order. If you provided significant table and field names as well as your desired sort order, someone could create the SQL for you if you can't search for and fi...

Default Public View has records but columns are blank
A custom entity has a default list view but the entries in the list do not show any values. There are a number of lines in the list with an icon only. If I try to delete one the message says select an entry before attempting operation. I cannot select the lijne either. Have created many views before and never seen this. Other views are ok? Hi Steve, Try publishing the entity and see if this resolves the problem. HTH, Niths "Steve" wrote: > A custom entity has a default list view but the entries in the list do not > show any values. There are a number of lines in the...

select distinct id with other data
Hello everybody, I have a table with such data: id name 1 Mario 1 Mario Krsnic 1 MKrsnic 1 MarioK The same Id refers to different names of the same person. how can I select distinct ID with both columns? If I use select distinct id,name then I get the above data. I would like to have only: 1,Mario(or some other variante of the name) In the result should every id appear only once. Thanks for suggestions! Mario Mario Krsnic wrote: >I have a table with such data: >id name >1 Mario >1 Mario Krsnic >1 MKrsnic >1 MarioK ...

How do I select which framework to use when buiding my app
Hi! I have VS 2005. I just wonder where do I select which framework to use when building my app ? I have looked at the project property but I can't find it. //Tony I found it myself. You can't select framework to use when buiding in VS 2005. This is only possible in VS2008. //Tony "Tony Johansson" <johansson.andersson@telia.com> skrev i meddelandet news:em7kzW%23tKHA.2072@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi! > > I have VS 2005. I just wonder where do I select which framework to use > when building my app ? > I have looked at the p...

My code stops after the record saves....form never closes
Users are going into to update a number, and they want to close the form before the record gets saved, thus losing their changes. I created an Exit button, which should save the record change and close the form. Here's the code: If Me.Dirty Then RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord End If Forms![frmRMSHours]![Act Hours] = Me![Text9] DoCmd.Close If the record is dirty, they press Exit and the record saves. They have to press Exit again and the form closes. If the record is not dirty, the form will close when pressing Exit. What am I doing wrong? To save ...

Select subform's query criteria from form's unbound cbo
I want users to be able to select a name from a form's unbound combo box and that selection to automatically become the criteria for the subform's underlying query, without the parameter box for the query popping up. How do I do this? I'm new to VBA and not an Access 2003 whiz either. TIA for your help! WorkerBee wrote: > I want users to be able to select a name from a form's unbound combo > box and that selection to automatically become the criteria for the > subform's underlying query, without the parameter box for the query > popping up. How do I do t...

selection in CTreeCtrl
Hello, I have a Tree Control in my application that displays two types of items: type A and type B. I want to implement the following: 1. When user clicks on any item of type A it should be shown as selected and the previously selected item will be deselected - it is actually the default behavior. 2. When user clicks on any item of type B - nothing should happen: the previously selected item remain selected and the clicked item remains deselected. So, actually, I want that the items of type B will never highlighted with a blue band. How can do it? Thanks, Mark. -- Please ...

selecting the 2nd column of a combo box in a report?
I have a combo box that uses data from a table with the fields (setupid, physician setup, md_PIN). the bound column = 1. The physicians sign on using their name (signing_md) and PIN (signing_md_pin). thanks to advice from this website I have...If signing_md_pin.value = dlookup("md_pin". "[setup table]","[setupid] =" [signing_md] then ... in the event procedure. When I try to get the physician name on the report (signing_md) it returns the physician number (setupid) instead of the name. How do I get the 2nd column of the combo box to the report?Thank you....

Select Range
Having trouble selecting several non-contiguous ranges. The spreadsheet I am working with is apprx. 300 rows by 110 columns. The sheet is subtotaled. I need to copy data and move to a summary worksheet. There is a subtotaled section entitled 'Risk'. Within this section, the only data required is Country, Customer, 3Q (orders, revenue, gross margin), and 4Q (orders, revenue, gross margin); columns B, E, AQ, AR, AS, BK, BL, and BM - respectively. The section title is in cell A162 and the data is in A163:CY200. I would prefer to select all of the data from the section at once, but ...

select with subquery in select clause
Hi I need to make a select from 2 tables whit this layout always with the newest datetime exchange currency. The local cuurency is Mexican Pesos Table 1 Currencies example: CurrencyID Key Description 1 USD USA Dollar 2 EUR European Euro 3 Yen Japan Yen Tabla 2 is Day exchange Currency CurrencyID Equivalent DateTime 1 12.50 2010-08-07 08:00:00 1 12.55 2010-08-07 08:10:00 1 12.49 2010-08-07 08:20:00 1 12.60 2010-08-07 08:30:00 1 12.51 2010-08-07 08:40:00 1 12.52 2010-08-07 08:50:00 1 12.48 2010-08-07 09:00:00 1 12.61 2010-08-07 09:10:00 <-- the newest xchange for USD 2...

Select Catagories to CC to??
Is it possible to make an Outlook default to choosing contacts from Categories instead of the Address book when you CC something?? In other words, you create an email, you click cc and can you select the recepients based on contact catagories?? and not the address book?? Not really. Clicking To: or CC: (or BCC:) will invoke the Outlook Address Book exclusively. The closest you can get to this is: You can use the "By Category" view of your Contacts Folder to send only to one category of Contacts, but those addresses will be placed in the To: field, not the CC: field. You ca...

Asking Excel Solver to use binaries, but selects other values
I am trying to get a linear program solved using solver. The values that Solver needs to enter are contrained as binary, but excel still try to find values that are neither 0 or 1. Stephane, I assume that when you say it is selecting values that are neither 0 or 1, they are values that are numerically close to 0 or 1 (such as 0.99998). If this is the case, you may want to consider the following approach: 1. Have the Solver constrain your decision variables as binary. 2. Have another set of cells which uses the decision variable to produce a result. When the underlying decision variabl...

Populate multiple records via check boxes
I've read through some of the posts here and found similar situations with solutions but I just can't quite understand how to do this. I am trying to use form controls i.e. checkboxes and/or multiselect list boxes to populate multiple records from a related table. I have 3 tables: teachers, subjects, & subjects_to_teachers. In the table "teachers_to_subjects" each record contains one teacher & one subject. The purpose of this table is to relate teachers to subjects in a many-to-many fashion. I have a primary form which shows teacher info. What I want is a form...

Need query to return absence of record
Hello all, hope everyone is doing well this fine morning! I need some help in constructing a query. I have three tables, designed as so: Personnel FullName(PK) Department Classes ClassName(PK) TrainingHistory *Junc table between Personnel and Classes* FullName(FK) ClassName(FK) DateTaken TrainingHistory records every instance of a class taken by all personnel. I need to be able to find people who HAVE NOT taken a given class. I need to be able to pick what class I search for each time I do the query. For example, I need to know who in the organization has NOT t...

Limiting combo box selection
I have Table 1 that list active projects, table 2 that list biweekly reporting information for each record in Table 1 and Table 3 that list the submission dates for each project (which I am using as a combo box selection in my form (table 2) that fills in the DateID field). So in the beginning of the year the combo box may have 12 dates, as the project manager submits the biweekly reporting I want to eliminate that date as a selection in the combo box. Right now the row source for the dateID field is SELECT DISTINCT [DateID], [DateReport] FROM tblDateSubmitted ORDER BY [DateReport] DE...

Changing the 'Look Up Record' view
When you want to attach a record to an activity for the 'Regarding' field your are presented with a 'Look up records' dialog. I would like to be able to modify the records that are returned for selection (Not the type of record). For example if you choose quotes it returns all quotes. We want to either restrict this to just active quotes or sort/show the status of quotes. Maybe using a view for this dialog ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I ...

Configuring Exchange 2000 to use SPF records...
Does anyone have any information on how to configure Exchange 2000 to use SPF records? Our ISP has configured SPF records at their end, and now I want our Exchange server to use them... However, we are using a smart host to relay our email through. I have read where this could be a problem with using SPF - however that article I read was referring to installing the GFI MailEssentials product to use SPF on your Exchange 2000 server - so maybe does not apply to all mail relaying in general if you are NOT using that product.. Does anyone know if SPF checking will work if you are using a s...