Question About Updating one table with data another table using a Form - 13358

Okay, I feel a little silly telling you guys this, but I'm just going
to come out and say it: I play Dungeons and Dragons, and since I'm
still learning how to use Microsoft Access, I thought that it might be
fun to try and build a character sheet database at home so that I
could play around with some of the program's features. Unfortunately,
I'm running into a snag. Here's my problem:

I have a table, called 'Characters Table,' which is updated using a
form called 'Character Sheet.' What I want to be able to do is select
a race from a second table, called 'Races Table,' using a combo box,
and have it populate a couple of text boxes with something called a
racial modifier. Example: If I select gnome as my race, I want my form
to populate a text box, called [ConRacial], with a 2 and a second text
box, called [StrRacial], with a -2. I also want the information in
these text boxes to update corresponding fields on my Characters
Table.

Now all of these racial modifiers are listed in the Races Table for
each race. What I want to be able to do is update the racial modifier
text boxes on my form by selecting the race from a combo box, and have
it update my 'Characters Table.' Is there a way to do this?

Please keep in mind that I am very much a n00b at this (I just learned
how to use Select Case statements like two days ago, and these were my
first ventures into using the VBA Code Builder features of Access), so
you'll need to speak slowly and patronizingly in a way that a total
amateur can appreciate and understand. Thanks.

0
DoveArrow

On Jul 18, 3:02 pm, DCPan <DC...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hmm...if you like using the wizard, just go to the properties box and program
> something into the "after update" event to make all the math changes after
> the combobox has been changed.
>

> "DoveArrow" wrote:
> > Okay, I feel a little silly telling you guys this, but I'm just going
> > to come out and say it: I play Dungeons and Dragons, and since I'm
> > still learning how to use Microsoft Access, I thought that it might be
> > fun to try and build a character sheet database at home so that I
> > could play around with some of the program's features. Unfortunately,
> > I'm running into a snag. Here's my problem:
>
> > I have a table, called 'Characters Table,' which is updated using a
> > form called 'Character Sheet.' What I want to be able to do is select
> > a race from a second table, called 'Races Table,' using a combo box,
> > and have it populate a couple of text boxes with something called a
> > racial modifier. Example: If I select gnome as my race, I want my form
> > to populate a text box, called [ConRacial], with a 2 and a second text
> > box, called [StrRacial], with a -2. I also want the information in
> > these text boxes to update corresponding fields on my Characters
> > Table.
>
> > Now all of these racial modifiers are listed in the Races Table for
> > each race. What I want to be able to do is update the racial modifier
> > text boxes on my form by selecting the race from a combo box, and have
> > it update my 'Characters Table.' Is there a way to do this?
>
> > Please keep in mind that I am very much a n00b at this (I just learned
> > how to use Select Case statements like two days ago, and these were my
> > first ventures into using the VBA Code Builder features of Access), so
> > you'll need to speak slowly and patronizingly in a way that a total
> > amateur can appreciate and understand. Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

If I understand what you're saying, you're suggesting that I use
something like a Select Case statement, where if the person selects
gnome, rather than pulling the data from a table, it pulls it from a
routine. I've actually thought about doing that, but I want to make
the database easily updatable, and if someone wants to add a new race,
I want them to be able to fill in a few fields on a table, rather than
having to go in and modify code.

0
DoveArrow

Question -Problem

Using Relative path for XML data file?

Pulling data from separate tabs

question on os authenticity
I purchased a laptop with Windows 2000 preinstalled from a dealer who claims to be a Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher. There was no COA attached to the body of the computer and he claims that he was not required to because he owns the license to it, not me. Is this correct? -- julesrh77 Good question but not for this community. You need to post your question in a Windows community. But, I think he's wrong and you should call Microsoft directly to ask them. You can find their phone number by going to www.microsoft.com. -- Charles Allen, MVP "julesrh77" wrote: > ...

data sort

using the journal on outlook

Document Template question
It's legal for a document to have multiple views into it's data, but when CMultiDocTemplate is created, it is only passed one runtime view class. How are multiple views handled in the document template context? Should all views of your document be derived from the class passed to CMultiDocTemplate? This is confusing me because MDI AppWizard did the work of setting up a document view class for me, but now I'm just using a child window with an imbedded static splitter window to show two different views of my document, and these views have nothing to do with CMyProjectView that...

Pivot Table Question #5

Status in table PurchaseOrderEntryDetail
Hello, We're trying to populate serial # into the PurchaseOrderEntryDetail table and run across the column 'Status'. What are the possible values for Status column in this table? Most of the time we see status of '2'. What does that mean? Please help. Many Thanks & Best Regards, Nikki ...

predict future data

form fields not saving to table

Security Updates-Uninstall
I was wondering if anyone knows how to backdown security updates? We ran the latest security updates for our servers and now most of our applications won't run properly. Has anyone had this experience before? Can we back these down? Cheers. Control Panel -> Add remove programs ??? "Geoff" wrote: > I was wondering if anyone knows how to backdown security > updates? We ran the latest security updates for our > servers and now most of our applications won't run > properly. Has anyone had this experience before? Can we > back these down? > ...

Table of Contents for each section
I have tried several times to create a TOC for each section of my document. They way it is now I can simply go to the Insert a TOC and it will insert e perfect TOC. All my text has been changed to the appropriate Level and I have no problem there. But I need to seperate the chapters to the start of their respective sections (I have next page breaks inserted at the start of every chapter). I have tried the bookmark method, no luck. I have tried other methods but I think my problem is that I have selected the appropriate fields and changed their levels appropriately. I have not mes...