Punch time query to calculate total work time

I have a table containing two fields; Employee ID and Time stamp, respectively.

Let's say the table contains the following values:

Emp ID    Time Stamp
-------     ------------
1001       1/1/2010 09:00
1001       1/1/2010 12:00
1001       1/1/2010 13:30
1001       1/1/2010 17:00

The data reflects that employee #1001 has clocked-in at 09:00 am and
clocked-out at 12:00pm.  The employee has clocked-in again at 1:30 pm and
finally clocked out at 5:00 pm.

Since the data was generated using Employee ID card, there is no separate
time-in and time out field.

How can I query the table so that I can have something similar to the
following results:

Emp ID    Time-in                          Time-out                Total
Time Worked
-------     -----------------          -----------------
--------------------
1001       1/1/2010 09:00          1/1/2010 12:00    03:00
1001       1/1/2010 13:30          1/1/2010 17:00    03:30
                                                       Total
      06:30

I am somewhat new to Access and Thank you in advance for your help!

Keith

I would first create a query that ranks/numbers each time entry by employee.
This would assume the earliest entry is a clock in:

SELECT tblTimeClock.EmpID, tblTimeClock.TimeStamp,
(SELECT Count(*) FROM tblTimeClock t2
 WHERE t2.EmpID =tblTimeClock.EmpID and t2.TimeStamp
<=tblTimeClock.TimeStamp) AS TheOrder
FROM tblTimeClock
ORDER BY tblTimeClock.EmpID, tblTimeClock.TimeStamp;

All of the odd numbered records should now be the clock in. Create another
query that filters for the clock in (odd) records and returns the next latest
time for the same employee:

SELECT qrnkTimeClock.EmpID, qrnkTimeClock.TimeStamp AS TimeIn, (SELECT TOP 1
TimeStamp FROM tblTimeClock WHERE tblTimeClock.EmpID = qrnkTimeClock.EmpID
and tblTimeClock.TimeStamp > qrnkTimeClock.TimeStamp ORDER BY TimeStamp) AS
TimeOut
FROM qrnkTimeClock
WHERE ((([TheOrder] Mod 2)=1));
--
Duane Hookom
Microsoft Access MVP

"Keith" wrote:

> I have a table containing two fields; Employee ID and Time stamp, respectively.
>
> Let's say the table contains the following values:
>
> Emp ID    Time Stamp
> -------     ------------
> 1001       1/1/2010 09:00
> 1001       1/1/2010 12:00
> 1001       1/1/2010 13:30
> 1001       1/1/2010 17:00
>
> The data reflects that employee #1001 has clocked-in at 09:00 am and
> clocked-out at 12:00pm.  The employee has clocked-in again at 1:30 pm and
> finally clocked out at 5:00 pm.
>
> Since the data was generated using Employee ID card, there is no separate
> time-in and time out field.
>
> How can I query the table so that I can have something similar to the
> following results:
>
> Emp ID    Time-in                          Time-out                Total
> Time Worked
> -------     -----------------          -----------------
> --------------------
> 1001       1/1/2010 09:00          1/1/2010 12:00    03:00
> 1001       1/1/2010 13:30          1/1/2010 17:00    03:30
>                                                        Total
>       06:30
>
> I am somewhat new to Access and Thank you in advance for your help!
>
> Keith
-1
Thanks for the help.  Your suggestion worked great!  Can you explain t2? is
t2 being used as a variable?

"Duane Hookom" wrote:

> I would first create a query that ranks/numbers each time entry by employee.
> This would assume the earliest entry is a clock in:
>
> SELECT tblTimeClock.EmpID, tblTimeClock.TimeStamp,
> (SELECT Count(*) FROM tblTimeClock t2
>  WHERE t2.EmpID =tblTimeClock.EmpID and t2.TimeStamp
> <=tblTimeClock.TimeStamp) AS TheOrder
> FROM tblTimeClock
> ORDER BY tblTimeClock.EmpID, tblTimeClock.TimeStamp;
>
> All of the odd numbered records should now be the clock in. Create another
> query that filters for the clock in (odd) records and returns the next latest
> time for the same employee:
>
> SELECT qrnkTimeClock.EmpID, qrnkTimeClock.TimeStamp AS TimeIn, (SELECT TOP 1
> TimeStamp FROM tblTimeClock WHERE tblTimeClock.EmpID = qrnkTimeClock.EmpID
> and tblTimeClock.TimeStamp > qrnkTimeClock.TimeStamp ORDER BY TimeStamp) AS
> TimeOut
> FROM qrnkTimeClock
> WHERE ((([TheOrder] Mod 2)=1));
> --
> Duane Hookom
> Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Keith" wrote:
>
> > I have a table containing two fields; Employee ID and Time stamp, respectively.
> >
> > Let's say the table contains the following values:
> >
> > Emp ID    Time Stamp
> > -------     ------------
> > 1001       1/1/2010 09:00
> > 1001       1/1/2010 12:00
> > 1001       1/1/2010 13:30
> > 1001       1/1/2010 17:00
> >
> > The data reflects that employee #1001 has clocked-in at 09:00 am and
> > clocked-out at 12:00pm.  The employee has clocked-in again at 1:30 pm and
> > finally clocked out at 5:00 pm.
> >
> > Since the data was generated using Employee ID card, there is no separate
> > time-in and time out field.
> >
> > How can I query the table so that I can have something similar to the
> > following results:
> >
> > Emp ID    Time-in                          Time-out                Total
> > Time Worked
> > -------     -----------------          -----------------
> > --------------------
> > 1001       1/1/2010 09:00          1/1/2010 12:00    03:00
> > 1001       1/1/2010 13:30          1/1/2010 17:00    03:30
> >                                                        Total
> >       06:30
> >
> > I am somewhat new to Access and Thank you in advance for your help!
> >
> > Keith
t2 is a variable/alias that references tblTimeClock.

--
Duane Hookom
Microsoft Access MVP

"Keith" wrote:

> Thanks for the help.  Your suggestion worked great!  Can you explain t2? is
> t2 being used as a variable?
>
> "Duane Hookom" wrote:
>
> > I would first create a query that ranks/numbers each time entry by employee.
> > This would assume the earliest entry is a clock in:
> >
> > SELECT tblTimeClock.EmpID, tblTimeClock.TimeStamp,
> > (SELECT Count(*) FROM tblTimeClock t2
> >  WHERE t2.EmpID =tblTimeClock.EmpID and t2.TimeStamp
> > <=tblTimeClock.TimeStamp) AS TheOrder
> > FROM tblTimeClock
> > ORDER BY tblTimeClock.EmpID, tblTimeClock.TimeStamp;
> >
> > All of the odd numbered records should now be the clock in. Create another
> > query that filters for the clock in (odd) records and returns the next latest
> > time for the same employee:
> >
> > SELECT qrnkTimeClock.EmpID, qrnkTimeClock.TimeStamp AS TimeIn, (SELECT TOP 1
> > TimeStamp FROM tblTimeClock WHERE tblTimeClock.EmpID = qrnkTimeClock.EmpID
> > and tblTimeClock.TimeStamp > qrnkTimeClock.TimeStamp ORDER BY TimeStamp) AS
> > TimeOut
> > FROM qrnkTimeClock
> > WHERE ((([TheOrder] Mod 2)=1));
> > --
> > Duane Hookom
> > Microsoft Access MVP
> >

> > "Keith" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a table containing two fields; Employee ID and Time stamp, respectively.
> > >
> > > Let's say the table contains the following values:
> > >
> > > Emp ID    Time Stamp
> > > -------     ------------
> > > 1001       1/1/2010 09:00
> > > 1001       1/1/2010 12:00
> > > 1001       1/1/2010 13:30
> > > 1001       1/1/2010 17:00
> > >
> > > The data reflects that employee #1001 has clocked-in at 09:00 am and
> > > clocked-out at 12:00pm.  The employee has clocked-in again at 1:30 pm and
> > > finally clocked out at 5:00 pm.
> > >
> > > Since the data was generated using Employee ID card, there is no separate
> > > time-in and time out field.
> > >
> > > How can I query the table so that I can have something similar to the
> > > following results:
> > >
> > > Emp ID    Time-in                          Time-out                Total
> > > Time Worked
> > > -------     -----------------          -----------------
> > > --------------------
> > > 1001       1/1/2010 09:00          1/1/2010 12:00    03:00
> > > 1001       1/1/2010 13:30          1/1/2010 17:00    03:30
> > >                                                        Total
> > >       06:30
> > >
> > > I am somewhat new to Access and Thank you in advance for your help!
> > >
> > > Keith
I understand perfectly. I was just wonder if there is a way to combine the
two queries into one query.  Any thoughts?

"Duane Hookom" wrote:

> t2 is a variable/alias that references tblTimeClock.
>
> --
> Duane Hookom
> Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Keith" wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the help.  Your suggestion worked great!  Can you explain t2? is
> > t2 being used as a variable?
> >
> > "Duane Hookom" wrote:
> >
> > > I would first create a query that ranks/numbers each time entry by employee.
> > > This would assume the earliest entry is a clock in:
> > >
> > > SELECT tblTimeClock.EmpID, tblTimeClock.TimeStamp,
> > > (SELECT Count(*) FROM tblTimeClock t2
> > >  WHERE t2.EmpID =tblTimeClock.EmpID and t2.TimeStamp
> > > <=tblTimeClock.TimeStamp) AS TheOrder
> > > FROM tblTimeClock
> > > ORDER BY tblTimeClock.EmpID, tblTimeClock.TimeStamp;
> > >
> > > All of the odd numbered records should now be the clock in. Create another
> > > query that filters for the clock in (odd) records and returns the next latest
> > > time for the same employee:
> > >
> > > SELECT qrnkTimeClock.EmpID, qrnkTimeClock.TimeStamp AS TimeIn, (SELECT TOP 1
> > > TimeStamp FROM tblTimeClock WHERE tblTimeClock.EmpID = qrnkTimeClock.EmpID
> > > and tblTimeClock.TimeStamp > qrnkTimeClock.TimeStamp ORDER BY TimeStamp) AS
> > > TimeOut
> > > FROM qrnkTimeClock
> > > WHERE ((([TheOrder] Mod 2)=1));
> > > --
> > > Duane Hookom
> > > Microsoft Access MVP

There probably is a way but it would be a little more difficult to
understand. To be honest, I won't take the time to play with it. I already
created your sample data, added more records than you had, built, and tested
to get what you asked for.

--
Duane Hookom
MS Access MVP

"Keith" <Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I understand perfectly. I was just wonder if there is a way to combine the
> two queries into one query.  Any thoughts?
>
> "Duane Hookom" wrote:
>
>> t2 is a variable/alias that references tblTimeClock.
>>
>> --
>> Duane Hookom
>> Microsoft Access MVP
>>

>> "Keith" wrote:
>>
>> > Thanks for the help.  Your suggestion worked great!  Can you explain
>> > t2? is
>> > t2 being used as a variable?

0
Duane

Need MS query to check Current Directory
I need to know how to make MS QUERY queries look at the CURRENT workbook Directory instead of the creation directory which it imbeds. I am NOT talking about the default directory in tool -> options-> general -> default file location. Example of query MTHLYISSUE.DQY XLODBC 1 DSN=MS Access Database;DBQ=C:\PROJECTS\BKL200401JAN\BOOKLEND.MDB;DefaultD ir=C:\PROJECTS\BKL200401JAN;DriverId=25;FIL=MS Access;MaxBufferSize=2048;PageTimeout=5;UID=admin; SELECT MonthlyIssuances.IssuanceMo, Sum (MonthlyIssuances.BookCnt) FROM BookLend.MonthlyIssuances MonthlyIssuances GROUP BY MonthlyIss...

Closing Total does not match
I have a strange problem with over/short not matching. On the z report, the only over short listed in the tender section is cash at $20.74 over. However, the Over / Short line shows $71.74. How can this be different? I noticed that the Closing Total equals Opening Total + Sales + Tax + Over / Short. We had no paid out, layaway, account, or deposit activity. In other words, the discrepancy is just between Over / Short and the tender over/short details. Any ideas? On Sep 28, 11:25=A0am, McSlagerhaden <ja...@szumlanski.com> wrote: > I have a strange problem with over/short not matchi...

"Notify me of replies" not working
For several months now, even though I check "Notify me of replies" when I post a question, I'm not receiving 3-mail notifications in my Hotmail account. And nothing is in the Junk folder either. Is this happening to anyone else and is there a fix? I love these newsgroups but it is very difficult in the busy ones like this one to find answers that might be posted weeks later than the original request. Thanks in advance. Arlene The notification feature has been broken since time out of mind, and it won't be fixed because these forums are closing in two days....

4.0 Outlook Client 'Track in CRM' button not working
I'm having an issue with tracking records in CRM. When I click the button, nothing happens. If I hit the 'Set Regarding' button I do get "An error occurred promoting this item to Microsoft Dynamics CRM." When creating any new emails in Outlook, I'm not even seeing the CRM buttons on the ribbon bar. This is the case with contacts as well. There doesn’t appear to be anything relevant in the event logs and the diagnostic tool doesn’t come up with anything either. The only thing that may be out of the normal is that I previously had the CRM Online integration ...

Report broken down by results from a calculated field
Hello, I have a query which calculates a date which is 100 days from the initial referral date. Other fields in the query are: patient ID, date of surgery and the reason why no surgery within 100 days of referral if applicable (this field is added through a combobox that only gives choice of 3 options). I would need a report that groups the results of the calculated field (those who had surgery within 100 days of initial referral, those who did not have surgery within 100 days and those who do not yet have surgery date. Those who do NOT have surgery within 100 days of referral, I nee...

Query setup
I have a table of calls to make. Is there a way to set a query up so that each day I go into the query it will only show me the calls I need to make for that particular day? thanks That depends... Does your record have a [CallOnThisDate] field? If so, create a new query, add the table, add the [PhoneNumber] and [CallOnThisDate] fields, then put "=Date()" (without the quotes) in the Selection Criterion "cell" under the date field. Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP "austin" <austin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16...

Somekind of crosstab query
Hi All, Kindly help me on this i have a table like this one: ItemName InDate OutDate Amount -------------------------------------------------------------- Item1 01/09 05/09 7 Item2 03/09 07/09 4 i want a query to get result like the following: ItemName 01/09 02/09 03/09 04/09 05/09 06/09 07/09 08/09 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Item1 7 7 7 7 7 0 0 0 Item2 0 0 4 4 4 4 4 0 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Total (If possible) 7 7 13 13 13 4 4 0 can an...

Record Selection Form for Update Query
I need to design a form that allows the user to select records via the standard SHIFT-click/CTRL-click/CTRL-SHIFT-click method (selecting record ranges with gaps). These selected records must then update a user-defined field with a user-defined value. The need to do this stems from the fact that Access datasheets apparently don't behave like Excel with respect to copying a single field and pasting to multiple fields. Is this even possible? The selection method I described doesn't seem to be inherently supported in any of Access' forms... I'm pretty new to this and not r...

Outlook will not work with XP #2
I purchased an new PC for my wife -- and HP a200N with a 2.4 GHz Celeron and Windows XP home edition. Great machine. I since installed Office 2000 -- and all applications work just fine -- Word, Excel, etc. except OUTLOOK does not -- I use Outlook to synch our Palm Pilots, address books, etc.. I use Outlook Express for email -- which shares the phone book with Outlook and has been great on my ME machine. When I try to start Outlook it starts and gives me the "window" with Outlook 2000 but then I get a "pop-up" which states: "Personal Folder" -- The inform...

Combo Box Search Subform not working properly....HELP!
Hi, I have a combo box that is part of my main form; I am using it as a search tool to locate records in the database. It uses LastName, FirstName, and CustomerNumber. The problem I'm having with it is that when there are several customers with the same last name, it will only allow me to select the first one from the combo box; if I try to select any of the others, it only brings up the first one; for instance, I have Emily, John and Susan Andrews; if I click on Susan or John Andrews, it brings up Emily and will not allow me to select the other two. I have Next and Previous Reco...

Run same query on multiple databases.
I have about 230 databases on my sql server. Out of which 220 or so are Dynamics Databases on which I want to run the same standard query as below. I don't want to select each db individually and run the query. Is there any way that I can run the query on the 220 dbs without selecting each one individually. The query should ignore or bomb out on the remaining 10 dbs as they don't have the table mentioned in the query below update XBANKINFO set BankReqSig2 = '1', Signature1 = 'X:\SIGNATURES\NEOSPINE\SIGNER1\DDEAN1.BMP', Signature1always = '1', Sig...

Excel does not open MS Query
Running Excel 97 under Win 2000 and Excel 2000 under Win XP neither wil open MS Query when I key "Edit query", though both applications wil "Refresh data" in Queries written some time ago or on other PCs tha have not had Excel or MS Office updated. The link/macro seems to have been disrupted when installing updates t MS Office off the MS web site. Is this perhaps a registry problem or something within Excel? Regards Richard E :confused -- Richard ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Richard E's Profile: http://www.excelforu...

How to convert Null values to zero when create an average query
This is my crosstab query Items Worked April 2010 March 2010 Average Reports 2 4 3 Tables 5 5 Files 2 2 2 As you can see, for "Tables" the query is giving me an average of "5" instead "2.5" because is not counting the null value date. How can I fix that? the SQL query so far is this: TRANSFORM Avg([Integrate Query].T...

working folder
I would like to direct the "startup working folder" to a computer on the server that is sharing its documents. The path is Z:\documents and settings\all users\shared documents but the program doesn't allow me to point there due to the spaces (I guees) in the folder names. Any suggestions? David When you say >but the program doesn't allow me .... is "the program" referring to Excel? The menu option >Tools >Options >General will allow you to set the default file location, and if that's the case you should be able to enter spaces in the f...

Conv. AC97/2K3 increase size by 15-20 times.
I have made an application in AC97, that imports between 150000 and 200000 rows from a text file, with aprox. 300000 rows - this done with VBA : Open, Input, Line Input Under normal circumstances the database is 50Mb - we have now done a upgrade to AC2003 and then the database is now 800-900 Mb when an import is done. Searching by Google has given two points: * I have newest service pack for JET * All text fields in tables has Unicode compression = Yes Still I have a very large database and the time doing the import is also increased considerably. Does any one have an idea where to look for a...

comparing a date with "today" in ACCESS Query
My table has a DOB date. I wish to compare it with today, and count those rows where DOB is under 16 years, and also count those greater than 16 years. I thought this would work : datediff("yyyy", CurrentDependents.DOB, Date()) < 17 and datediff("yyyy", CurrentDependents.DOB, Date()) > 16. Alas not. If I set DOB to 01/01/1994, I get < 17 set to 1, and > 16 set to 0. If I set DOB to 31/12/1993, I get < 17 set to 0, and > 16 set to 1. So my syntax is only looking at the year element of the date, and not the whole date. Can anyone advise pleas...

Query on Blank Date
I would like to do a query on "Blank Date". For example, i have 10 fields for my user to fill up. The date shall be input only when his customer present the discount card. So end of year, he wish to know how many slots from users in the database unfilled. i tried the following [Information]![Date_1]>#1/1/2008# And [Information]![Date_2]=Null [Information]![Date_1]>#1/1/2008# And [Information]![Date_2]='' [Information]![Date_1]>#1/1/2008# And [Information]![Date_2]="" it doesnt work. Please help. Thanks. On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 07:16:47 GMT, "yonggi...

Recommend Timezone expert world time zone clock software
Recommend a timezone software Timezone Expert World Time Zone Clock is a software for Windows that replaces the regular system clock with several time zones of your choosing. Knowing the time around the world has never been simpler. Timezone Expert can be useful to the following groups of people: Business travelers: no matter what time zone you are in, Timezone Expert world clock will remind you about important things back in your office. Stock and currency traders: Know the exact time everywhere, to be better prepared for when to buy and when to sell. Companies with distributed offices: Max...

Importing Excel files into Access -- without having to change the Data Type to "text" one field at a time
Hello - I have recently begun a job where we need to transfer files to Excel, make a few data manipulations, and then import the data into access. The problem is, the only way that I know to do it seems to take a lot of time. When I import the file to access, I have to go through each field to identify it as text. Otherwise, I get import errors. Is there a way to make this process more efficient. For instance, can I somehow let access know that ALL FIELDS are text, rather than having to scan through each individual field to change them to text. I tried saving the excel file as a text file...

IsNull code not working in report
Ok I have a dbase with 5 tables I need to print reports for each table but since there are many null values I need to hide them (and their Labels as well). I used the following code If IsNull(Me.Field1) Then Me.Field1.Visible = False Me.label1.Visible = False Else Me.Field1.Visible = True Me.label1.Visible = True End If It does not work. Most of the fields are text fields. The Canshrink/Cangrow var is True The following code works for the forms.. but not the reports... I read rellevant threads but still no luck! Any help will be greatly appreciated! ...

Calculated items
Hi, I have a very simple table, with 5 columns, Regions, Country, Product, Year and Sales. I create a pivot table where I have the years in columns like a crosstable. Currently, I'm only showing Region in the Rows. Now, Between Each Year column, I would like to have the increase in percents between 2 years - I show actual sales for 04 in one column, next column growth and next column actual 05 and so on. This I've done with Calculated Items. But I have two problems; 1) for the total, it seems as Excel calculates the sum of percentages rather than calculate the growth between th...

Word file preview is not working
Why doesn't file preview not work in Office 2007 Word? If you mean that preview works inside Word for non-Word files, but not for Word files, this is a known bug (actually, it seems to work at times, but often not). The work-around is to use the preview in Windows File Explorer... where Preview *does* work for Word files. I find that the same bug exists inside Excel, as well... where Word files preview just fine, but Excel files do not. Some have found relief by disabling various add-ins, but I found that relief to be short-lived. -- Herb Tyson MS MVP Author of the W...

Working with Pivot Tables in a shared workbook
Hi, I have a workbook that has a load of pivot tables in it. When I share the workbook I can't use the pivot tables anymore. Please would someone tell me why, and how do I get around this. I need to be able to share this spreadsheet so that other users can make use of the pivot table I have created. TIA, Jarryd Hi, By the way. I don't need to modify the pivot tables, just change the fields selected in the current report, e.g. this month I have selected June for my report, but next month I want to be able to select July, but the drop downs are inactive. Please help. ...

Email not working after installing Outlook mail client
Hi I am having trouble sending any emails from CRM 3.0 after having installed the Outlook client on my dektop. Previous to installing the Outlook client emails were sending fine. Now I cannot send emails from either within CRM (Error message: "An error has occurred. For more info contact your administrator") or from Outlook. The mail router has been installed on the server. Anyone had a similar issue or know what the problem might be? Thanks in advance. ...

Query with alphabet
I want to extract the data of persons whose names are started with the Alphabet i entered in the Parameter field. and what will be the coding for create a parameter dialog box? Like [Enter First Letter] & "*" -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "Arunoday" <Arunoday@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FF9480C0-BFC8-47D4-976B-398F50C67A49@microsoft.com... >I want to extract the data of persons whose names are started with the > Alphabet i entered in the Parameter field. > and what w...