Parameter query in which you can search for any word

Hi guys,

I have created a basic parameter query, but when I type in a search term
only the exact match results are returned. Is it possible to change a setting
somewhere so that when i search through the parameter query, the search will
look for anything containing the terms i have entered. For example if i look
for "Knowledge" only results with that specific word are returned but there
are also results with "Knowledge Management" which are not returned. I would
like to be able to type "Kno*" for example and everything beginning with that
and whatever else follows will be returned. Is this possible, and if so, how?

Many thanks,
Rodney

Rodney wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have created a basic parameter query, but when I type in a search
> term only the exact match results are returned. Is it possible to
> change a setting somewhere so that when i search through the
> parameter query, the search will look for anything containing the
> terms i have entered. For example if i look for "Knowledge" only
> results with that specific word are returned but there are also
> results with "Knowledge Management" which are not returned. I would
> like to be able to type "Kno*" for example and everything beginning
> with that and whatever else follows will be returned. Is this
> possible, and if so, how?
>
> Many thanks,
> Rodney

Replace..

[Your Parameter]

....with...

Like "*" & [Your Parameter] & "*"

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...

0
Rick
9/3/2007 1:53:47 PM
Hello Rodney.

"Rodney" wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have created a basic parameter query, but when I type in a
> search term only the exact match results are returned. Is it
> possible to change a setting somewhere so that when i search
> through the parameter query, the search will look for anything
> containing the terms i have entered. For example if i look for
> "Knowledge" only results with that specific word are returned but
> there are also results with "Knowledge Management" which are not
> returned. I would like to be able to type "Kno*" for example and
> everything beginning with that and whatever else follows will be
> returned. Is this possible, and if so, how?
>
> Many thanks,
> Rodney

Replace the "equals" with a "like" operator:
Like [WhatToSearch]
Then you can enter wildcards for the parameter.

--
Regards,
Wolfgang

0
Wolfgang
9/3/2007 2:09:49 PM
On 3 Sep, 14:53, "Rick Brandt" <rickbran...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Like "*" & [Your Parameter] & "*"

Better to be ANSI mode neutral:

ALike '%' & [Your Parameter] & '%'

PS I assume the OP erroneously uses the word 'word' in the title of
their post because the above makes no attempt to distinguish words.

Jamie.

Jamie

Trouble opening Word 2007 for Windows files with equations on my Word 2008 for Mac
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I use Word 2008 for Mac but when I try to open a Word 2007 for Windows file from a student with equations, all the equations are nonsensical. Any hints? FWIW, not being familiar with this area of Mac Word, when I try to open a Word 2007 document containing a Word 2007 equation (not the older type of equations) I see a dialog box that says that Word 2007 equations are not supported in Word 2008, that the equations will be preserved so that they will be visible if re-opened in Word 2007, but will "displ...

Problems with hyperlinks in Word 2007
I am having problems with hyperlinks in Word - they show as a complete text string incl. something about javascript. This occurred after my last update from Microsoft. I have tried to search in the various settings without any luck - I need the hyperlinks to show as only regular text and not codes etc. Anybody out there who can help me so I do not miss any text in Word? Press Alt+F9 to hide field codes. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Mette S-K" <Mette S-K@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1788018D-30B3-4005-82BF-0DD03CB383EB@micros...

Linker Error that I can't resovle
Hi everyone, I am running into a problem that I can't seem to find a solution for. I have a DLL that does a bunch of database stuff for me. The DLL has a class that has a static member like this: ///////////////////////////// h file//////////////////////////////////////////// #pragma once #include "LSDataLibDatabase.h" class __declspec(dllexport) LSDataManager { public: LSDataManager(string Path); ~LSDataManager(); static LSDataLibDatabase &GetDatabase() { return *m_pDatabase; } private: static LSDataLibDatabase *m_pDatabase; }; ///////////////////////////...

search for a string
How can I search for a string (“Draft Documents”) in sheet1 and then delete all the rows above the row containing the string and then delete the last two rows in sheet1? Thank you Try; Sub DoIt() Dim rRange As Range On Error Resume Next Set rRange = Range(Cells(1, 1). _ Cells.Find("Draft Documents", _ Cells(1, 1), xlFormulas, _ xlWhole, xlByRows, xlNext, False)) On Error GoTo 0 If Not rRange Is Nothing Then rRange.EntireRow.Delete Else MsgBox "'Draft Documents' Not found" End If Set rRange = Cells.Find(...

I lost a paragraph. How can I find it?
I was typing a speech I am to give in two weeks and it was single spaced. I decided for editing purposes that I wanted it double spaced. I went to the help section in my Word 2003 edition and it told me to select one paragraph at a time, which I did. I then fumbled around with the instructions but finally came across a box and an icon that had the double space I was looking for. I selected the icon and when I returned to the document, the paragraph I selected had disappeared, but the rest of my speech was, in fact, double spaced. How do I retrieve/find my selected original p...

I Can not turn off ClearType
In Outlook 2007, I am unable to turn off the ClearType feature. The ClearType box is unchecked in Tools\options\mail format\editor options\popular. In have checked and unchecked it several times with restarts, but it seems to make no difference. My eyes are bad enough without haveing to look at blurry text. Please help me turn this off. -- Thank you, John Gregory JGreg7 wrote: > In Outlook 2007, I am unable to turn off the ClearType feature. The > ClearType box is unchecked in Tools\options\mail format\editor > options\popular. > > In have che...

can't open my money2001 file
I have a strange problem with Money2001. I can't open my files. It asks for my password and after I enter it, a box pops up saying, "Microsoft Money has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I've tried opening some backups that I have achirved from clear back from September - still no luck. Any suggestions? If I buy the latest version, what are the chances it will open my old 2001 version file? Aaron In microsoft.public.money, Aaron Garber wrote: >I have a strange problem with Money2001. > >I can't open my ...

Web query #7
I have a copied a weblisting of 700 grain elevators, and each has a hyperlink to an information page about the specific elevator. that information may contain whether they sell seed, feed or other services. Can a query separate out only those that only sell feed? Each specific elevator "record" has the same format, although the services, may be empty, or have up to 9 services, in no particular order. I'm stuck now with going thru the hyperlink, and viewing the information, then return to Excel and deleting that row if not applicatble. Any ideas? ...

excel vs. word which is better
ineed a comparision between word and excel Word is a word processor, XL is a spreadsheet. Word is better for word processing tasks, XL is better for spreadsheet tasks. There's some, but not much, overlap in their capabilities. What are you trying to do? In article <4A6DBC18-08D3-45D4-BF74-292E1F8D4CDD@microsoft.com>, "linda raye" <linda raye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > ineed a comparision between word and excel A question like "Which is better?" depends upon what you are trying to do. Both are very useful tools for very different tasks...

Can't view calendars
My Boss is unable to view calendars but has the appropriate permissions using Outlook 2003. (he has Admin rights) When he tries to view a calendar he gets the message "unable to display the folder, cannot open the mailbox for this user because the user does not have a server mailbox". I found KB article 813603 which states this problem may occur when two user accounts do not reside on the same Exch. Server Org. and the status was that Microsoft has confirmed this is a problem with Outlook 2003. But I only have one Organization, and the users are on the same server. The on...

Microsoft Access can't send this e-mail message
I get the following error when using the SendObject method, trying to send an email using Outlook: "Microsoft Access can't send this e-mail message" Is this something to do with setting the references or is it some other problem? Regards, Jon "Jon" <davesmith2020@hotmail.com> wrote in news:4023aae0$0$2143 $fa0fcedb@lovejoy.zen.co.uk: > I get the following error when using the SendObject method, trying to send > an email using Outlook: > > "Microsoft Access can't send this e-mail message" > > Is this something to do with s...

Help with Audit, Can't assign value
I have a form which is used to input customer data and has a control which is set to record the current user using the CurrentUser() function tied to the Before Insert event of the form. The same form contain a lookup button with which I can close the form and reopen it with an openargs that causes the form to us a dataset tied to a query which requests the customer last name and returns matching records. The problem is that when I click the button to look up customers I get an error stating that "You can't assign a value to this object". In the VBE the line that I used to assig...

how can I get a cell to change color by date to indicate expiery t
I'm trying to get the cell color to change from green to yellow to red as a date entered in the cell gets closer to that date plus 12 months or 36 months. ie some task was completed on 1 Jan 08 and will last for 24 months so I want the cell to read green if the date is still good turn yellow a month or 2 before it expires and turn red and clear the date if expired. So if the cell is empty it should show red. But I want to be able to update the date the task was completed ie it was completed again on the 15 Dec 10 before it expired so I want the countdown to expiration to restart f...

Calculation query, how to avoid extreme values?
Good morning, I have 1 table with a few fields (A, B, C) that I'm using for various calculations. For various reasons are some of the input "weird" and I want to leave that out of the calculation (average). For example, Field A requires > 0 AND < 100, B < 400 Now, if one record doesn't fullfil A requirement I don't want to use it for A's average calculation BUT I want to use it for B's average calculation (if it satisfy B's requirement). This means that if I use the query criteria A: >0 AND <100 it will filter out all other records an...

Can we use the datediff function and put the answer in a cell?
what we want to do is return the difference of this function into a cell in a table, can we do it? On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 11:34:01 -0800, timmone <timmone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Yes, but you shouldn't. Because that would violate an important relational database design principle that says "no calculated fields in the database". Rather you would calculate the value on the fly in a query: select DateDiff("d", myStartDate, myEndDate) as DaysBetween from myTable -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >what we want to do is return the difference o...

how can i make paragraphs in side one cell in Excell?
Hi press ALT & ENTER when you want a new line Cheers JulieD "ashraf" <ashraf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E508A2C8-CC79-4107-93EE-5D607A53E8BA@microsoft.com... > or, format cell / alignment / wrap text ...

Can a new e-mail message event wake up a monitor?
When my laptop is running on battery, I have the screen set to go blank in 1 minute. This tremendously lengthens the amount of operation I can get from a full charge. However, I find myself quite often sliding my finger across the touch pad to wake up the screen so I can check to see if I have any new e- mail. It would be really cool if an Outlook add-in existed which would wake up your screen automatically when you receive a new e-mail. Does anyone know if such a tool exists? afaik, there is no such tool. why not turn on sound so you can hear it arrive? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outloo...

Exchange 2003
Hello. I am running Exchange 2003 and all of a sudden, all emails my users send to Hotmail are piling up in the queue. Not sure what is going on here. We can send emails to every other domain. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance for your help. Roger Settle rsettle@klfinancialgroup.com Can you manually telnet to Hotmail's MX record IP address on port 25? -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "Roger Settle" <rsettle@klfinancialgroup.com(DO NOT SPAM)> wrote in message news:72700E7F-A7E1-4725-B1B4-2...

Word & Excel
Hi, I would like to link Excel cells to fields in Word. I have Word documents that use fields and I would like to have an excel file automatically grab the value of those fields. Thanks for your help I believe the way to do this is by copying the range in Excel and then go to your Word Document, at the top menu select Edit=>Paste Special In the Paste Special window, select Paste Link, then select Microsoft Office Excel Worksheet Object. Changes in the excel range should change in the Word Document Thanks for the response, but I want to go the other way. First, write up the Word d...

Amount in words
Dear, Is any way i can have Amount in SOP & Cash Reciepts atleast to shown in figure + characters like $ 150.20 (handred fifty usd and 20 cent. ) thanks & regards Why don't you use the following report writer user defined function in a calculated field to show the amount in words. RW_ConvertToWordsAndNumbers() function returns string OUT_string; in currency IN_Value; { Value of Currency } in string IN_Currency; { Currency ID of Currency - Leave Blank for Functional } in integer IN_Mode; { non-zero = Use Numbers and Words instead of only Words } For more informa...

Word
[Set DUH! Shields to 8] I customized my Word toolbar in Office 2001, and now have a "3 line" toolbar. When opening a document (or create new document), the top portion of the document is now under the tool bar. I can't believe I can't figure this out!!!! (Ah -- humbling lesson -- I'll take it ;-) I've read the help, made new defaults, made the height of the toolbar as small as it can be ... yada yada yada. I know I can blow up the tool bar, or dock it to the side ... but, what am I missing??? ;-) Many thanks!!!!!! -Lake [Set DUH! Shields to Nor...

ADO: Help build this query in MS Access
Hello I have a very large table in a MS Access database. It has various fields in it. (Eg. Field1, Field2, Field3, Field4, Field5) All I'm trying to do is to run a query that concatenates the values in 3 fields and returns a recordset. In other words, I want a recordset which has only one field and that field contains the values as follows field2+field3+field4. Example: Field1 Field2 Field3 Field4 Field5 1 AA XX PQR 112 2 BB XX STS 234 3 CC XX QQQ 234...

Search sent items
I have been looking around the web and couldn't find anything. But I wanted to know if there is a way to search items that have been sent out of exchange. We somehow got listed on a spamlist and I was wanting to find emails sent with a specific subject line. So I could know who is sending them and where they are going. I guess the short of it is that I want to be able to search and reference sent items. Thanks, John This information would be contained in the message tracking logs if you have subject and display logging enabled. You can get to it from the message tracking ce...

I can't see my replies on this forum.
Hi, I have twice replied to posts in this group and haven't been able to see my reply either time. Is that the way it works here, or am I doing something wrong? Thanks, Roy -- C. Roy Blye Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com "C. Roy Blye" <C.Roy.Blye.437l0e@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message news:C.Roy.Blye.437l0e@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com... > > > Hi, > > I have twice replied to posts in this group and haven't been able to > see my reply either time. Is that the way it works here, or am I doing > som...