parameter for text

In Access 2003.
In a form I have a parameter to search for a word at a a time
Like [Froms].[Form].txtWords]&"*" which works well.
..
In order to enter more than two oarameter separated by commas in txtwords I
have been tryin the Str function like this
"Instr([txtWords])"
"Instr[txtWords]"

The query displays no records at all.

Could you suggest me how to do it

Many thanks

I would suggest separating by space and using this --
  Like "*" & [Froms].[Form].txtWords] &"*"

Remember that when you type in 'bell' you will also get 'bellows' in the
results.

--
Build a little, test a little.

"sebastico" wrote:

> In Access 2003.
> In a form I have a parameter to search for a word at a a time
> Like [Froms].[Form].txtWords]&"*" which works well.
> .
> In order to enter more than two oarameter separated by commas in txtwords I
> have been tryin the Str function like this
> "Instr([txtWords])"
> "Instr[txtWords]"
>
> The query displays no records at all.
>
> Could you suggest me how to do it
>
> Many thanks
Karl

Thanks for your reply.
I'm sorry. I wrote the instruction wrong. It must be:
Like [Forms].[Form].[txtWords]&"*"
Nevertheless, as you suggested I tested again:

Like "*" & [Forms].[Form].[txtWords] &"*" .
If I enter one word it works but If I enter two words separated by space,
query shows nothing. I don't know why.

Any idea is welcome

sebastico wrote:
> In Access 2003.
> In a form I have a parameter to search for a word at a a time
> Like [Froms].[Form].txtWords]&"*" which works well.
> .
> In order to enter more than two oarameter separated by commas in
> txtwords I have been tryin the Str function like this
> "Instr([txtWords])"
> "Instr[txtWords]"
>
> The query displays no records at all.
>
> Could you suggest me how to do it

I don't think it's doable. If the field you were searching contained
only single words and you were trying to match the entire word, the
Instr solution can work. But since you are doing pattern-matching using
LIKE, there is no way to search for multiple patterns without  using OR
to combine them:

Like [txtword1] & "*" OR Like [txtword2] & "*"

It appears you will need to provide multiple textboxes and instruct the
users to enter a single search pattern into each.

--
HTH,
Bob Barrows

0
Bob
5/24/2010 9:00:35 PM
sebastico wrote:
>In Access 2003.
>In a form I have a parameter to search for a word at a a time
>Like [Froms].[Form].txtWords]&"*" which works well.
>.
>In order to enter more than two oarameter separated by commas in txtwords I
>have been tryin the Str function like this
>"Instr([txtWords])"
>"Instr[txtWords]"
>
>The query displays no records at all.
>
>Could you suggest me how to do it
>
>Many thanks

You wouldn't be able to do this directly if you want to search for multiple
words
You could use SPLIT to break out the separate words (and maybe use TRIM to
cut off the leading and trailing space). Then you would have to loop through
the array and AND them to the filter.  Not trivial, but doable.

PieterLinden
5/24/2010 9:24:54 PM
I missed this one.

Place [Forms].[Form].[txtWords] in the field row of the query design grid.

In the criteria row put --
     Like "*" & [YourTableName].[FieldBeingSearched] &"*"

--
Build a little, test a little.

"sebastico" wrote:

> Karl
>
> Thanks for your reply.
> I'm sorry. I wrote the instruction wrong. It must be:
> Like [Forms].[Form].[txtWords]&"*"
> Nevertheless, as you suggested I tested again:
>
> Like "*" & [Forms].[Form].[txtWords] &"*" .
> If I enter one word it works but If I enter two words separated by space,
> query shows nothing. I don't know why.
>
> Any idea is welcome
>

> "KARL DEWEY" wrote:
>
> > I would suggest separating by space and using this --
> >   Like "*" & [Froms].[Form].txtWords] &"*"
> >
> > Remember that when you type in 'bell' you will also get 'bellows' in the
> > results.
> >
> > --
> > Build a little, test a little.
> >

> > "sebastico" wrote:
> >
> > > In Access 2003.
> > > In a form I have a parameter to search for a word at a a time
> > > Like [Froms].[Form].txtWords]&"*" which works well.
> > > .
> > > In order to enter more than two oarameter separated by commas in txtwords I
> > > have been tryin the Str function like this
> > > "Instr([txtWords])"
> > > "Instr[txtWords]"
> > >
> > > The query displays no records at all.
> > >
> > > Could you suggest me how to do it
> > >
> > > Many thanks
Karl
With your parameter:
If I enter one word (any stored in the table), the parameter displays all
records (same as I have in the table).
If I enter two words displays all records as well.

"KARL DEWEY" wrote:

> I missed this one.
>
> Place [Forms].[Form].[txtWords] in the field row of the query design grid.
>
> In the criteria row put --
>      Like "*" & [YourTableName].[FieldBeingSearched] &"*"
>

> --
> Build a little, test a little.
>

> "sebastico" wrote:
>

> > Karl
> >
> > Thanks for your reply.
> > I'm sorry. I wrote the instruction wrong. It must be:
> > Like [Forms].[Form].[txtWords]&"*"
> > Nevertheless, as you suggested I tested again:
> >
> > Like "*" & [Forms].[Form].[txtWords] &"*" .
> > If I enter one word it works but If I enter two words separated by space,
> > query shows nothing. I don't know why.
> >
> > Any idea is welcome
> >

> > "KARL DEWEY" wrote:
> >
> > > I would suggest separating by space and using this --
> > >   Like "*" & [Froms].[Form].txtWords] &"*"
> > >
> > > Remember that when you type in 'bell' you will also get 'bellows' in the
> > > results.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Build a little, test a little.

Bob

The field I'm searching has one or more words. Can I enter one, two or three
words or do I have to use more txtboxes?
Thank you for your help
"Bob Barrows" wrote:

> sebastico wrote:
> > In Access 2003.
> > In a form I have a parameter to search for a word at a a time
> > Like [Froms].[Form].txtWords]&"*" which works well.
> > .
> > In order to enter more than two oarameter separated by commas in
> > txtwords I have been tryin the Str function like this
> > "Instr([txtWords])"
> > "Instr[txtWords]"
> >
> > The query displays no records at all.
> >
> > Could you suggest me how to do it
> >
> I don't think it's doable. If the field you were searching contained
> only single words and you were trying to match the entire word, the
> Instr solution can work. But since you are doing pattern-matching using
> LIKE, there is no way to search for multiple patterns without  using OR
> to combine them:
>
> Like [txtword1] & "*" OR Like [txtword2] & "*"
>
> It appears you will need to provide multiple textboxes and instruct the
> users to enter a single search pattern into each.
>
> --
> HTH,
> Bob Barrows
>

> .

Pieter
Could you explain in more detail your suggestion?

Thank you.
"PieterLinden via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> sebastico wrote:
> >In Access 2003.
> >In a form I have a parameter to search for a word at a a time
> >Like [Froms].[Form].txtWords]&"*" which works well.
> >.
> >In order to enter more than two oarameter separated by commas in txtwords I
> >have been tryin the Str function like this
> >"Instr([txtWords])"
> >"Instr[txtWords]"
> >
> >The query displays no records at all.
> >
> >Could you suggest me how to do it
> >
> >Many thanks
>
> You wouldn't be able to do this directly if you want to search for multiple
> words
> You could use SPLIT to break out the separate words (and maybe use TRIM to
> cut off the leading and trailing space). Then you would have to loop through
> the array and AND them to the filter.  Not trivial, but doable.

> .

Post the SQL of your query by opening in design view, click on VIEW - SQL
View, highlight all, copy, and paste in a post.

--
Build a little, test a little.

"sebastico" wrote:

> Karl
> With your parameter:
> If I enter one word (any stored in the table), the parameter displays all
> records (same as I have in the table).
> If I enter two words displays all records as well.
>

> "KARL DEWEY" wrote:
>
> > I missed this one.
> >
> > Place [Forms].[Form].[txtWords] in the field row of the query design grid.
> >
> > In the criteria row put --
> >      Like "*" & [YourTableName].[FieldBeingSearched] &"*"
> >

> > --
> > Build a little, test a little.
> >

> > "sebastico" wrote:
> >

> > > Karl
> > >
> > > Thanks for your reply.
> > > I'm sorry. I wrote the instruction wrong. It must be:
> > > Like [Forms].[Form].[txtWords]&"*"
> > > Nevertheless, as you suggested I tested again:
> > >
> > > Like "*" & [Forms].[Form].[txtWords] &"*" .
> > > If I enter one word it works but If I enter two words separated by space,
> > > query shows nothing. I don't know why.
> > >
> > > Any idea is welcome

You will need a separate textbox for each pattern for which the user wishes
to search. This of course, will be problematic. If you provide two
textboxes, the users will tell you they need a third. After you provide that
one, they will of course demand a 4th ... ad nauseam

You might consider a keyword-table approach, especially if users will only
ever be searching for whole words. This will involve creating a table that
includes the key field(s) from the first table, plus a single field for the
keywords. You would probably want to exclude "nuisance" words from the
keyword list: "the", "to", "a", etc. Including them would cause too many
unrelated results to be returned in searches (Google has a similar
approach). The result would be like this:

Sourcetable:
ID textfield
1   A phrase with several words

1   phrase
1  several
1  words

Your criterion would be in the ID field and would look like this*:
IN (Select ID FROM keywords WHERE "," &  [txtwords] & "," LIKE "*," &
[keyword] & ",*" )

*This is untested and was included only to provide a general idea for how to
approach this.

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
"NO SPAM"

0
Bob

hide a text box in a continuous form
I have a form that i created that display each form as a row in a continous form. What I need is to have one text field on one row not visible when a check box is checked. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks! Using Conditional Formatting, evalaute the state of the field bound to the CheckBox to set the Background color of the TextBox to match that of the Background color of the form. You might have to set the Disabled prop via CF as well. There is sample code showing one wat to accomplish this here: http://www.lebans.com/conditionalformatting.htm A2K or Higher Only! New Feb 08,2002...

importing text file into excel file using macro
Hi, How to import text file into excel file using Macro? Can this proces run on form menu button? Please help and give me some ideas of doin it. I have attached a text file for your reference. Thanks, An Attachment filename: rdata.txt Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=66130 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com >Hi, >How to import text file into excel file using Macro? Can this process >run on form menu button? Please help and give me some ideas of doing >it. I have attached a text file for your r...

Printing without certain text (i.e., answers, notes)
Does anyone know an easy way to print two versions of a document? For example, I need to print a student version without answers and instructor's notes. Thanks, TM One way would be to use a style (call it Answers for example), when you want to print out the students copies change the color of the style Answers to white. That should do it. "TM" <t_mccollough@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e6czHS2YDHA.1384@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Does anyone know an easy way to print two versions of a document? For > example, I need to print a student version without answers an...

How do you get the maximum value to display in text box form
In a form, if I have 4 text boxes and 3 of them will contain a number. How do you get the maximum value to display in the 4th. I have tried many different things, I can make it work for a single field in a table, but that finds the value through all records. I just want it to display the max value from the numbers on the form, which could be different for various records. You could use something like this as the Control Source of the 4th text box (the underscore is for ease of reading here, and must be removed from the Control Source): =IIf([Field1]>[Field2] And [Field1]>[Field3],...

Excel cells should take number format and/or optional text eg Dec.
I usually pre-set number formats and other limitations on forms to ensure that I get the information that I need. Often, however, the date is vague and requires text, e.g., Nov 2005 instead of 11/1/05, which is Excel's default if you type in "Nov 2005." I can alleviate the issue on my own work, but my forms need to remain locked when being used by others. My suggestion is that an option be offered so a cell could take either/or text or number in the case of dates. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the ...

How zoom/increase font size of Office 2004 "Help" text?
Font sizes can be set for Word, Excel and Entourage. You also can zoom in to enlarge the View of text in Office 2004 components´┐Ż documents. How does one do this with the small-font text in Help? Respectfully, Norm On 9/14/04 1:36 AM, in article BD6BFBA9.49F3%nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu, "Norman R. Nager, Ph.D." <nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu> wrote: > Font sizes can be set for Word, Excel and Entourage. You also can zoom in > to enlarge the View of text in Office 2004 components´┐Ż documents. > > How does one do this with the small-font text in Help...

Report Asking For a Parameter
So I had a report that called with its Record Source set to TableA. I then made a copy of this report, but change the Record Source to TableB. TableB is a summary of TableA, and is missing one field, NAME So when I run my report, it pops up asking for the paramater for NAME. I looked at the report and deleted the feild that was linked to NAME. The report is still asking for NAME, even though no feilds on the report ask for it now. How do I go about fixing this? On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 15:19:03 -0700, "James" <fake@email.com> wrote: NAME (which by the way is a Reserved Wor...

Autofill Text
I am trying to create a series of text sets, eg. aaa-aaz, aab-abz, but find that I cannot autofill unless the series contains numbers or dates. Can any one suggest a simple answer for this as I am not an experienced user of EXCEL. It seems that filling in each series individually is the answer but it's a lot from aaa to zzz. Would be greatful for any assistance. Cheers "Ryko" <sourcemusic@tsn.cc> wrote in message news:ADBE64DF-285A-4050-B88E-A98BFCD84CD4@microsoft.com... > I am trying to create a series of text sets, eg. aaa-aaz, aab-abz, but find that I cannot autofill...

inverting text box or fonts for artwork
I cannot figure out how to invert text that is inside a text box. If there is not any way to do this is there a way to invert text outside a text box? Thank you for your help Kathy The entire text box gets inverted. If you want just a line or a word to invert, you need to make a separate text box. Just make the box active, select the icon that looks like a line with an arrow head in a circle and click on it. BTW, this is with Publisher 2000. -- Don Vancouver, USA, a great city in one of the 45+ countries in America! "Kathy Keating" <revskc@mcdeb.com> wrote in message n...

Adjusting Two Columns with Text
I have two columns. I've entered numbered text in each column. As I add more numbered items, the second column keeps adjusting itself downward. Is there anyway to freeze the second column as I add items to column one? I am not really sure what you mean by "the second column keeps adjusting itself downward". Do you have a two column table, or is the document formatted with columns? It sounds like you may have the former when what you want is the latter. Format the document so that it has two columns (via the Page Setup section of the Page Layout tab in Word 200...

Shrinking font in Report Text Box
I have strings of varying length that I need to display in the same text box, so I would like to be able to shrink the text if it would otherwise be truncated. I've read other, similar posts but still have a question. It seems that Lebans AutoSizeFont is the right module for me to download (http://www.lebans.com/autosizefont.htm), but having done that, I'm not sure how to "apply" it to the text box in question. I've got no experience using modules. Could someone walk me through it? Thanks, Keith Keith wrote: >I have strings of varying length that I need to...

Vanishing Entourage Message Text
OK, so here's a good one. On the MacBook Pro, running latest OS and up to date Office 2004, some email messages display no text. Toggling the "display complex HTML" does not resolve this. If I get the same message forwarded through another user, it often displays properly. Suggestions? Dan Hi Dan, are you by any chance connected to an Exchange 2003 server? If yes, Microsoft released a patch a week or two ago which introduced a bug in OWA. They are aware of the problem and working on a fix. If that does not explain your problem, you'll have to post back and be more sp...

cell to have comma-delimited values based on text
I have a table called "220_reference" with a column name "Part Number" having a sample value of below: 4047122(All Dash no.), 4057222(All Dash no.), 4058222(All Dash no.), 4060122(All Dash no.) The entire value is in one cell representing the "Part Number" column(defined as general type so text I suppose). Simple enough. But what I need to do is take any number that has "(All Dash no.)" after it and search through a column in another table to retrieve any rows that have that number(text) in it. The other table name is "220" with ...

excel grid lines over lapping the text
Closer to the bottom of a printed Excel spread sheet the text is moving into the lines. I cannot tell if the grid or the text is moving. I am a printer technician for HP and I have looked at the printer and it is OK. The driver has been updated also. Can anyone else? I won't bore you with the standard 'Update the Printer Driver' answer, because if anyone's got the latest then you have :-) I did try a Google on it, and found practically zip on solutions for this, other than one suggestion from Nick, that you may want to give a go:- >>I doubt Excel and strange though it ...

outlook parameters #2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_006C_01C60558.781A0570 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello everyone!! there is some place where I can see all thje outlook parameters?? like a = /safe=20 Jana ------=_NextPart_000_006C_01C60558.781A0570 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"...

Outlook 2003 bug -can't insert note as text
When creating a mail message, choose Item from the Insert menu, then try to insert a note as text. All that is inserted into the mail is the date and time the note was last modified. Outlook XP and Outlook 2000 don't have this bug - they correctly insert the text of the note into the body of the mail. Nick ...

Outbox Parameter Value Invalid Error
My Gmail is linked to Outlook. Currently, I have a message sitting in the Outbox of email. It won't send after multiple tries, and the error message reads: Task 'Gmail - Sending' reported error (0x80070057) : 'Could not complete the operation. One or more parameter values are not valid.' What does this mean? I am not a very savvy IT person, so layman's terms would be helpful with any offered solutions. Thanks! ...

(Advance Programming) Parameter Returned as Value
Hi, I wish some body could Help Me, I have being loocking for a solution for 2 days. I need to make a simple Query to check if the parameter values are in a Table. I want the Query to return "Founds" and "Not Founds". For Example: Table Definition: TName CREATE TABLE [dbo].[TName] ( [IdName] [bigint] IDENTITY (0, 1) NOT NULL , [Name] [nvarchar] (30) COLLATE Traditional_Spanish_CI_AS NOT NULL ) ON [PRIMARY] Values: Insert Into TName (Name) Values ('Paul') Insert Into TName (Name) Values ('Peter') Insert Into TName (Name) Valu...

Wizard button text
I am creating a Wizard with slightly non-standard behaviour and I need to change the text of the Finished and Cancel buttons. I can use SetFinishText() for the Finished button but can't see a way to change the text of the Cancel button. Is it possible to do this? The reason I want this behaviour is that the Wizard allows the user to configure devices and I want them to be able to set up several devices without restarting the Wizard each time. So the "Finished" button would be better labelled "Configure" or "Apply" because it applies the settings to ...

faq: type of CArray as function parameter create errors
Hi, class CMyPoint { public: long x; long y; CArray<int,int&> m_intSegmentNo; CMyPoint(); virtual ~CMyPoint(); CMyPoint(const long &xx, const long &yy); CMyPoint(const CMyPoint &cmpt); CMyPoint(const CPoint &cpt); CMyPoint& operator = (const CMyPoint &assmypt); CMyPoint& operator = (const CPoint &asspt); bool operator == (const CMyPoint &rmypt);//const CMyPoint &lmypt, bool operator != (const CMyPoint &rmypt);//const CMyPoint &lmypt, }; .... class CSegment { public: CList<CMyPoint,CMyPoint&> m_PointList; CSeg...

Text and Formula in the Same Cell
Good Morning, Everyone - Here's what I'm trying to do: I have a cell that has text - "Vendo Name" - and I also want that cell to contain a formula (counta). I this possible? Thankx, C -- theboatdud ----------------------------------------------------------------------- theboatdude's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1024 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27525 Here's an example: ="Vendor Name: "&COUNTA(B:B) HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- > >Goo...

::PostMessage not delivering the parameter
I have a PostMessage call crossing thread boundaries, but the parameter passed doesn't seem to be right. What could be wrong? Code: -------------------- CClientThread* pThread = (CClientThread*) AfxBeginThread(RUNTIME_CLASS(CClientThread), THREAD_PRIORITY_NORMAL, 0, CREATE_SUSPENDED); if (!pThread) { clientSock.Close(); TRACE("Couldn't create thread\n"); AfxMessageBox("Couldn't create thread\n"); return; } //Keep track of all threads m_ClientThreads.push_back(pThread); // Pass the socket to the thread by passing the socket handle. // You...

Unbound Text Box Help
I have an unbound text box called TYPE, that I want to display the name of a transaction type. See below code. I have added this to the BeforeUpdate and the AfterUpdate and the TYPE remains blank. This is DSform and the infromation is for display purposes only. Does anyone have any suggestions on why this is not working and what I can do to correct my ways. Matt Private Sub TYPE_BeforeUpdate() If Me.TRANS_TYP = "S" Then Me.TYPE = "SALES FORECAST" End If If Me.TRANS_TYP = "I" Then Me.TYPE = "INVOICE" End If ...

Fill in text from drop down list box in Excel
Hello, I have created a drop down list box but the list is getting too big and the user has to scroll down the list to select the data. Is there a feature I can use to display the data that start with the same string. For example: If I type "Be" in my box, the box could display the list that start with "BE or Be". I created the drop down list by using "Data", chose "Validation", and chose "List" from the "Allow" tab. Thanks for your help. Bexi Bexi If your drop-down list if from Data Validation, you cannot have Autocomplete. T...

Shortcut key for centering Text
Hi, I'm a longtime Lotus 123, Word and Powerpoint user finally being forced to Excel. One of the very first things I tried to do in Excel was to center some text in a cell with a shortcut key. In every Microsoft application I've ever used(I think), I've been able to left align with (ctrl l), right align with (ctrl r) and center with (ctrl e). This works in Word and Powerpoint etc etc. But I can't get it to work in Excel. Surely there is a simple shortcut key to center text in excel, isn't there. I mean, this is such a basic thing. I don't want to have to grab my m...