newbie to SQL trying to do a report in Excel

I have a SQL query I want to write to pull data to add weely node utilization
percentages.

The db is
area--->headend--->router--->routerports--->transmitter--->nodes--->nodeNames

     also node--->utilization

(utilization:nodeID, %, date)
(nodes(nodeID:transmitterID, date created parentnodename)
(NOdeNames:nodenamesID,NodeID)

in my excel report I want to add a new column showing the node data for each
week.  Can I get the percentages from SQL into a text file then import into
Excel showing the columns vertically?
One tricky part is one node can be on two transmitters or one transmitter
can have 2 or more nodes.  Its just a 1:M  but the reason it is important is
the Excel report router data is on only one row.  So  the nodes can't be on
separate lines the report wouldn't make any sense because we need to know
what router they are on. The nodes are viewed by the user according to the
router port it is on.

Any suggestions on how to do it in SQL and if this can be done in Excel
before I get in to this?

tia,

On Aug 3, 4:36 pm, Janis <Ja...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have a SQL query I want to write to pull data to add weely node utilization
> percentages.
>
> The db is
> area--->headend--->router--->routerports--->transmitter--->nodes--->nodeNames
>
>      also node--->utilization
>
> (utilization:nodeID, %, date)
> (nodes(nodeID:transmitterID, date created parentnodename)
> (NOdeNames:nodenamesID,NodeID)
>
> in my excel report I want to add a new column showing the node data for each
> week.  Can I get the percentages from SQL into a text file then import into
> Excel showing the columns vertically?
> One tricky part is one node can be on two transmitters or one transmitter
> can have 2 or more nodes.  Its just a 1:M  but the reason it is important is
> the Excel report router data is on only one row.  So  the nodes can't be on
> separate lines the report wouldn't make any sense because we need to know
> what router they are on. The nodes are viewed by the user according to the
> router port it is on.
>
> Any suggestions on how to do it in SQL and if this can be done in Excel
> before I get in to this?
>
> tia,

You can generate recordsets in Access via queries and then use
CopyFromRecordset to send it to Excel.

0
pietlinden

Copy Paste Chart format in Excel 2003 using VB.NET
I have a template file in Excel which contains some sample charts. I need to generate some charts which has the same format as that of sample charts. I'm using VB.NET 2005. What we encourage people to do when using VBA is to run the Excel chart recorder while performing the action they want to do in VBA, then fix up the inefficient VBA recorded code and incorporate it into their project. You can do the same thing, although there may be an additional step where you translate or at least reference the VBA code so it works as VB.Net code. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP...

can you look up info from a validated drop down menu in excel 2007
I have a b 2 Name Wage 3 $- 4 existing employee $20.00 5 existing employee $25.00 6 existing employee $17.00 7 Labor Ready ID $10.00 8 Labor Ready UT $10.00 9 Labor Ready WA $10.00 10 Future Employee $- 11 Future Employee $- 12 Future Employee $- in another work sheet i have a&b c d i 5 Labor cost 6 Name hours rate Total Cost 7 8 9 in a7-9 i have a drop menu based on a name I created employee. employee='E...

Crystal Reports Subreporting
Hi All, I'm trying to adapt the existing "Order List By Sales Rep" report to include all the products for each individual order, including their cost and a couple of other custom fields. My idea was to create a subreport of each order that listed all the products etc. The subreport I can create fairly easily but I cant remember how to insert it into a parent report so that it uses the salesorderid of the order to lookup the product data. Can anyone help me on this please? Thanks all Tom ...

Payout report
Where can I find a report showing the cash payouts by cashier? If I have to use Access where do I find the data? Bill, See if the attached report fits your needs. Extract and put it in the Store Operations\Reports folder. It should then be available under Custom Reports. Marc "Bill Cunningham" <BillCunningham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E5DBF060-A2E7-40E9-99E9-0C4AE50802DF@microsoft.com... > Where can I find a report showing the cash payouts by cashier? > If I have to use Access where do I find the data? begin 666 Custom - Dr...

Excel Vslow durin SavePreviewOrPrint. Netwk bcomes v bZ. Any adv?
I am running Office 2003 on my Toshiba WinXP P4 Labtop. Recently noticed my Excel starts to give problem... I didn't know why it happened. First, when open or save large file (size), it runs very slowly, sometimes showed NOT RESPONDING, then after 15-20 seconds, file opened (or saved). Now, I also notice the slow down whenever I preview or print. During this action, I noticed the network becomes very busy. Therefore, I tried disabled network and worked on the same excel files. The speed of opening, saving, previewing and printing are fast. Any one there with similar situation and ...

How do I change the Excel 2000 sheet tab size? It's too small.
For some reason my sheet tab size is very very small. How can I change it to be bigger? Kelli This is a function of your Windows Display Properties. The size of the sheet tabs are governed by the setting for Scrollbars in Windows Display Appearance. Mine are at 18. Start there and work your way up or down. The font will increase or decrease with the size of sheet tabs. Win98 as example... Start > Settings > Control Panel > Display > Appearance(WinXP Appearance>Advanced) "Item" drop down select Scrollbar Change setting to Taste Apply OK Depending upon your s...

report print paper format
hey all, is there an option to set the paper size... when we print reports from crm its always set to letter but we want a4 Crystal appears to get paper sizes from your printer. So if you want a different paper size you need to select file printer setup in crystal (i think) then change the printer or change the paper size for the printer. Crystal will then change the page size. This is an unusual way of doing it as most apps treat page setup as different from the printer etc "savage" <savage@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0DDBF80B-9D53-4EC3-B7E9-9E825411...

Conditional Sorting in Excel
I have what im hoping is a simple question. Basically, I am organizing an event for 60 people and need to come up with table assignments for 4 separate events. I am trying to put these 60 people into groups of 10, but I don't want people from the same cities sitting together and I also don't want people to sit with the same person multiple times (or at least as well as possible). I basically have a 2 column spreadsheet - A is attendee names and B is cities. Is there anyway that I can generate 4 distinct (or close to) lists - each list containing 6 groups of 10? ...

Problems entering numbers into Excel
Whenever I enter a number into my excel w/sheet, I get the same number divided by 100. . . e.g. I enter 256 and the cel contains 2.56 . . any clues??? really would appreciate it!!!! Tools/Options/Edit uncheck the Fixed decimal places checkbox. In article <434501c3fed3$4eed1260$a401280a@phx.gbl>, "scuzzie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Whenever I enter a number into my excel w/sheet, I get the > same number divided by 100. . . e.g. I enter 256 and the > cel contains 2.56 . . any clues??? > > really would appreciate it!!!! Many tha...

Excel 2003: Duplicate dashboard and data sheets
Hello, I created a dashboard with several small graphs on it. The data for the graphs is stored on a separate data sheet (i.e., work sheet). I now want to duplicate the dashboard/data sheets to build a dashboard for another employee. I envision the workbook eventually having 5 dashboards driven off 5 data sheets. The trick I'm looking for is a way to change the datasource for the graphs on the copied datasheet to the appropriate corresponding data sheet. I know how to do it manually but it seems like there should be some sort of "find and replace" ty...

Excel crashes when copying worksheet
Whenever I try to copy or move certain worksheets either within the same workbook or to a new workbook Excel crashes. I cannot reopen Excel (vs. 2000) without deleting it from the Program Manager - it remains in the background. I suspect the problem may have to do with having too many characters in certain cells, although I carefully combed through one of these worksheets and thought that I had fixed all cells so that none had more than 200 characters and it still crashed Excel when I tried to copy it. Does anyone have any solutions for this? ----------------------------------------------...

Cannot double click an excel file and open it.
Hi When I double click an excel file, the excel application opens with a grey screen. If I drag the file onto the grey screen it opens fine. If I double click an excel attachement the excel screen opens grey and I get a message box saying The system cannot find the file specified. If I drag an excel file into the outlook inbox and then double click on it, it launches as it would normaly. I have un associated and re associated the file with Excel. I have checked the selections under the window menu in Excel, but unhide is greyed out, indicating that excel has opened, but not loaded the fil...

Saving an Excel Spreadsheet outside of Excel Recent Documents
Okay "boys & girls" you may think this is a primative question, but I just can't figure this out: When I save an Excel spreadsheet, the only way I can get back into it is to open up my Excel program > Open the file I previously saved. And that is not a problem. However, what if I wanna save that Excel spreadsheet into one of my computer document foldders? Now that's the problem! If I click: Start > Documents then I see all my special folders with all my special stuff. Well, I wanna be able to save some of my Excel spreadsheets in a special fol...

Excel 2003 Upgrade
If I only have Microsoft Works Suite 2004, and I purchase the Excel 2003 upgrade only, will I get the full functionality of Excel, or just an upgraded Works spreadsheet program. Acccording to the Microsoft site, Works Suite 2004 qualifies for the upgrade, but am not sure what that entirely means. Thanks much. Steve Steve, If Works does indeed qualify you to purchase the Upgrade version of Excel, you will get the complete Excel application. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "bermuda1995@aol.com" <anonym...

Converting txt file to Excel
I have a text file imported into Excel that is setup as follows: Account Number Account Registration Payee Information 001511xxxxxx John Doe US Bank 123 First Street 100 Powell Ave Las Vegas, NV 00000 Las Vegas, NV 001512xxxxxx Jane Doe US Bank 124 First Street 100 Powell Ave Las Vegas, NV 00000 Las Vegas, NV And this report can have up to 400 accounts. Is there a way to related the Account Registration and Payee Information to the Account N...

How do I retrieve an Excel file data after my computer crashed?
My computer crashed and I lost the work I had done in an previously existing Excel file. Is there anyway that I can retrieve this data? Thanks Hi depending on your Excel version maybe AutoRecovery helps. This should come up after restarting Excel. But I would suspect your data is lost -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Craig wrote: > My computer crashed and I lost the work I had done in an previously > existing Excel file. Is there anyway that I can retrieve this data? > Thanks ...

Is it possible to view Excel split screen by tab within same file
I would like to view split screen tabs within the same Excel workbook. Is this possible? Hi SS. Go to Window - Arrange - and select the view you would like. It shows all tabs. Minimize or close the ones you don't want. I find the vertical view the easiest to use. HTH -- Sincerely, Michael Colvin "SS" wrote: > I would like to view split screen tabs within the same Excel workbook. Is > this possible? Window|new window Window|Arrange (horizontal/vertical/whatever you want) Check windows of activeworkbook (if you only want that one workbook) You'll see som...

divide column(x) by column(y) to give column(x/y) in excel?
I'm trying to divide one column by another column to give me another column of awnsers as in B1/C1=D1, B2/C2=D2 etc... Is this possible? Thanks In cell D1 enter the following formula: =B1/C1 Copy this formula down column D as far as you need. The cell references will increment automatically. HTH, Elkar "James" wrote: > I'm trying to divide one column by another column to give me another column > of awnsers as in B1/C1=D1, B2/C2=D2 etc... Is this possible? > Thanks ...

Report into colums
I have a report that show products and price like belfow Chips =A31 Hot Dog =A33 Burger =A33 Drinks =A31.50 ECT ECT Is this creats a long list on a a piece of paper can i get it to put it in 2 or more colums lile below Chips =A31 Hot Dog =A33 Burger =A33 Drinks =A31.50 ECT Thanks very much Report / Page Setup Pieter "Simon" <S.Dickson@shos.co.uk> wrote in message news:1192702147.310171.229640@k35g2000prh.googlegroups.com... I have a report that show products and price like belfow Chips ...

Transaction report by Tender
is any way to get a detail transaction report? We are using "Accounts" but sometimes employees make a partial payment. We need to be able to display by Trx# the different types of tender that we used during the transaction.. thanks -- Patriot Management Group Patricia, If you are the M$ support plan, there is a Tender Summary with Transaction Number report in CustomerSource. http://tinyurl.com/42qqo -- * "Patricia Cobos" <PatriciaCobos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28F6BC22-62DF-474A-BC23-782C95C242B2@microsoft.com... is any way to get a ...

Custom reports #8
I am trying to set up a custom report for my business that will diplay something like: SalesRep|Item|Discount($0 if none)|SalePrice|TotalPrice...All that I can't figure out is how to show what items were discounted and how much for. Also, is there any way to pull up the Top Sales Rep list and have it show on there how much each employee has discounted for the week? Any help would be greatly appreciated! hi AGC62, your first query about the report you can do so if you know how to modify the active report the .grp files, however if not we are here to help you out. I have the report ...

Detail Sales Tax Report--SOP
I am trying to put together a detail sales tax report query and have run into a brick wall. Which table should I pull the detail sales tax information from? The SOP30200 table is the Header and of course doesnt reflect the tax detail. The SOP30300 table reflects the sales tax detail and works fine unless the tax schedule on the transaction has been changed. If the tax schedule has been changed on the transaction the 30300 table does not reflect the change. This is really strange to me but it doesnt. So, one would think you could look at the SOP10105 table. It appears there is an ...

How do I enable Excel's "formula prompt?"
Excel on my old laptop would "prompt" me as I entered a formula. By prompt, I mean that a small beige box (comprised of a single line of text) would appear outlining the formula arguments as I typed. It was akin to the formula wizzard, but not nearly as comprehensive - a kind of reminder of the variables necessary to complete the formula. This ability was enormously useful and appears to be disabled on my new laptop. How can I enable it? The Function tooltips feature is available in Excel 2002 and later versions. To turn the feature on: Choose Tools>Options On the General...

SQL 2008 Script Wizard Crashing Out
Hello Have a SQL Script heavy database (The scripts combined come to about 14mb for SPs/ vws/ fns) and the Scripting Wizard is crashing. It is crashing out with "Object Reference Not set to an instance of an object." whilst running the" Determining objects" process - there are about 3000 views / sp's in the database. The error from management studio is below. Have tried using 2008 RC and SP1 versions of management studio running on clients and direct on the server and both give the same error whilst doing determining objects. I am able to script out...

urgent help for a newbie
I need help with excel. I have a product list in excel where products are are Identified with a four digit code. E.G. Code Product Desc Net VAT Total 2354 Bleach General Cleaner £10 £1.75 £11.75 Lets call this the master list, it has 400 entries. I want to be able to produce customer quotes on subsequent worksheets within the workbook. I would like lines to 'autocomplete' after entering the product code alone. I do not know how to link new sheets to the master sheet wi...