making an equation in access

Hi, I would like to create a field that works out a formula based on other
fields. i.e field z=field4, when field 1<field 2 - field 3 etc. Yes, it may
be a silly question but I am only new to this....Thanks, Dani.

Dani,

recommend against creating a "field" in a table and storing this value.  One
of the generally accepted rules of relational database development is not to
store a "computed" (any value that is based on the value of other fields in
your database) value in the table.  It is a waste of database space, and will
eventually result in bad data (when someone manually changes a value, but
forgets about the computed field).

It is better to use a query to create this computed value, and return that
value whenever it is needed.  If you would lay out the logic for us, I'm sure
someone will be happy to help you write an IIF( ) statement or a function
that will return the appropriate value.

----
HTH
Dale

"Dani." wrote:

> Hi, I would like to create a field that works out a formula based on other
> fields. i.e field z=field4, when field 1<field 2 - field 3 etc. Yes, it may
> be a silly question but I am only new to this....Thanks, Dani.
fatsultan

"Dani." wrote:

> Hi, I would like to create a field that works out a formula based on other
> fields. i.e field z=field4, when field 1<field 2 - field 3 etc. Yes, it may
> be a silly question but I am only new to this....Thanks, Dani.

ACCESS on a new iBook?
Hi, Has anyone any experience on running Access under Virtual PC or similar? I have a new model iBook 1.42 Ghz, 512MB RAM (soon to be upped to 1 GB) and 10.4.6. I'm wanting it to brush up my knowledge for use at work so won't be using huge data sets, just playing with new builds & small amounts of test data. I don't really want to buy an old PC just for this so just wanted to check it wouldn't be unusably slow under virtualisation software. Any advice greatly appreciated. Cheers Jason ____ Hi Jason, Microsoft Access works fine in Virtual PC. Yes, it's slightly...

can you make one worksheet update another
I have two similar worksheets within the same workbook. One sheet is sorted by name and the other sheet is sorted by a date for a speicfic name. Is there a way to change the date on the sheet, sorted by name, and that will automatically find the name on the other sheet(sorted by date) and change the date to the second sheet? Jaime, The normal way is to have one table, and sort it as needed when needed. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Jaime S." <Jaime S.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mess...

accessing ActiveX control enums in MFC
I have an ActiveX contol whose tlb (using OLE/COM viewer) shows // There are a couple of more of these, but this is typical example typedef enum { RF_MCS86 = 1, RF_BINARY = 2, RF_ASCII_BINARY = 3 } EROMFormat; This enum is accessed from another function from within the control as STDMETHOD Func(SAFEARRAY **Ptr, EROMFormat Fmt, Long * Retval) I have dropped the control onto my form and MFC has generated the wrappers for the methods except for the ones having SAFEARRAY arguments Now, not only does MFC not generate the function because of the familiar // method &...

Make Table Query
I have a Macro and at the end of the Macro I have a Make Table Query that I would like to automatically save as todays date in the current database. Does anybody have an idea on how I can do this? On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 11:40:24 -0700, dswiders@gmail.com wrote: >I have a Macro and at the end of the Macro I have a Make Table Query >that I would like to automatically save as todays date in the current >database. Does anybody have an idea on how I can do this? A date is just a field value. Saving today's date as a Table is almost certainly VERY bad design. Why do an expensive, awk...

PST file will not allow me access
I have a pst file from Office 2000 that I copied to cd. AS I tried to add it to my new computer and office 2003 I get the message that I do not have rights to access this file. How can I reset the permissions? There is not any password on it that I set by choice. Thanks Sal ...

VPN and Public folders access
Hi all I have 3 exchange servers that are all in the same admin and routing group, two out of hte three servers are exchagne 2003 and hte third is a 5.5 server. All serves are in different parts of the country and they are all connected by high speed links. The problem that i have been noticing lately is when a user VPN's into the network (outlook 2003) the users outlook is trying to connect the public folders to an exchagne server that is not local to there network, when this happens a dialog box pops up asking the user for there username password, this mail server is in another ...

How do I repeat my header on each page of an access form
!@#$%^&*?! I am frustrated. I want to repeat a header on each form. Help states that there is a repeat property that needs to be set to yes. I can't find it anywhere! I've double clicked, right clicked on every section and box and cannot find this property setting. Help!!! Evon wrote: > !@#$%^&*?! I am frustrated. I want to repeat a header on each form. Help > states that there is a repeat property that needs to be set to yes. I > can't > find it anywhere! I've double clicked, right clicked on every section and > box and cannot fin...

Reconcile to GL access
Can anyone tell me how to grant a user access to the reconcile to gl routine? I've marked "reconcile purchasing", but this isn't it. I can't find a "reconcile to gl"option to mark under financial or purchasing. Thank You. Tracey Hi Tracey, The "Reconcile to GL" window is under the access list of: Product: Microsoft Dynamics GP Type: Windows Series: Financial In GP 10, you need to accomplish this by providing access to the Security Tasks Setup window while in GP 9 and below this under User Security. Hope this helps! Chee...

Removing Anonymous Access on Backend Exchange Servers
Hi, We are running Backend & Front End Exchange Servers, Front End the anonymous access has been disabled. I am in the process of removing anonymous access in Backend also, but the problem is there are many applications which are using backend servers to send mails, most of it can be configured to authenticate before sending mails, but there are a quite a few legacy applications which cannot authenticate before sending mails (The code is not opensource & cannot be modified). I tried to allow relaying based on IP's, but still those legacy machines are not able to send mail...

Make Excel Work faster
I have a file, that is +- 200MB in size, and has +- 150 worksheets with 700 lines of formulaes in each worksheet. Problem is that when I update the one sheet where the lookup is, it takes about 10min to do the calculation. I am also running a PIV 3Ghz HT with 1gig RAM. How can I get Excel to perform faster? You could set calculation to Manual while entering the data and recalculate with F9. 10 minutes seems a bit long, but we don't know your formulas. Especially VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP are very sensitive for the 4th argument. For many tips about performance, especially lookups, check...

Access 03-17-08
From a menu designed using access a query was run and the response we received says the records are deleted. The query's function is to search a table which has 6,000 records. The table with the records can be seen. However We cannot cannot do sorts or run queries on it. How do we free up the data access says is deleted.? It also says unrecognized data format when we try to look at the individual from related the the query on the menu. At times like this, nothing beats a good backup. In fact make a complete backup of your database now and put it away for safe keeping. AFTER makin...

Make Word 2008 open with Formatting toolbar showing
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3284189186_6066939 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit Is there a way to tell Word 2008 that I want always to have the formatting toolbar showing? What about the formula bar in Excel? I couldn�t seem to get it to stick to the menu bars, much less appear as a default. Thanks! Best, - Bill Leopard 10.5.1 Office 2008 --B_3284189186_6066939 Content-type: text/html; charset="ISO-8859...

Merging queries by column in access
Hi, I have a series of queries which get data aggregated by year, e.g. select year(date), min(var1), avg(var1), max(var1) from table where (ridiculously complicated set of conditions) group by year(date) select year(date), min(var2), avg(var2), max(var2) from table where (entirely different ridiculously complicated set of conditions) group by year(date) etc etc There are six queries like this so what I want is to amalgamate these columns together into one results table (and also into one query so users can just run one stored query rather than six!) as follows: year, m...

threads accessing private methods
Hi! Here is a simple example on a timer accessing the private method timer_Elapsed. This works fine. In this example one might consider that the timer_Elapsed must be public because the one that is calling is not within the class. So I just wonder is it always in such a way that when the framework or the OS is calling upon a method it can be declared as private and it will work ? class Test { static void Main() { Timer timer = new Timer(); timer.Elapsed += new ElapsedEventHandler(timer_Elapsed); timer.Interval = 1000; timer.Enabl...

Access autonumber field changes to date format when Excel imports
When importing Access data into Excel, the autonumber field in Access is chenged to date format instead of a general number format. I could run a macro to change the number format but this only happens on some Vista machines, not all. Any suggestions as to why this is happening? ...

Access denied to event invitation
People I invite to a calendar event get an access denied error when the try to accept -- jquinter ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jquintero's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=214 View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-187052813 ...

I cannot access newly created users
Hi folks... I have using exchange server. i can add users in Active directory successfully. But I cannot logon through IE or Outllok.. That is from today onwards i can create users but When I configuring in Outlook or when i tried to login through IE I get the following error message. "Sorry. User id and password could not be verified. Please re-enter your user id and password. more details... javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password." This means the My Exchange did not recognize the newly created user name. But while I ...

How do you make the results of a concatenate permanent text?
I have two columns of text which I have concatenated but I need the results to be text not just the results. I have tried copying the column to another column - that doesn't work so.................. Did you try PasteSpecial Values? "Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:343DF1BB-6AA7-4107-9BF6-FCFBA02F29C8@microsoft.com... > I have two columns of text which I have concatenated but I need the results > to be text not just the results. I have tried copying the column to another > column - that doesn't work so...............

can you move icons on the quick access toolbar
When you add a new command it is placed at the end of the list. I like to group similar commands together. How do you do this? If you go into the QAT editor, that is by selecting More Commands... from the options when you click the little dropdown arrow at the end of the QAT, you get a dialog that allows you to move items up and down. -- HTH Bob "Kathryn211" <Kathryn211@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EC709D50-F0BF-4602-A428-7A1F8BB3213A@microsoft.com... > When you add a new command it is placed at the end of the list. I like to >...

Sybari Antigen ASM Junk Mail Folder
We have just turned on the Sybrari Antigen ASM Junk Mail filter for our Outlook clients on our Exchange 2000 server (Sybari is version 8.0) running on a Windows 2000 SP4 server. We are running IIS 5.0 on the same server in the default location of C:\Inetpub\wwwroot for OWA. When you try to access the new folder in Outlook you get the following message. Access is denied. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: ...

No GP 9 access when our Internet connection fails
When our Internet connection fails no one can access GP 9 SP3 on Server 2003/SQL 2000. This is a small local network of 25 computers, with a single Internet router. We first noticed this problem about 2 months ago. Why would a loss of our Internet connection not allow anyone access to our GP Server? Thanks, Steve Hi Steve My guess is that it is not your interent going down but you router shutting down. If all computers are connected to the same router for internet and for network access, and it went down then you would no tbe able to access internal resources or the internet. ...

Populate Acrobat pdf file from Access
I have a database that I created a few years back that uses the activex installation of the old Adobe Acrobat FDF tookit. My code creates an fdf using fields from my form and then opens the corresponding pdf. The end result is that Access populates my pdf's for me. Now for my problem... I now have a computer with Windows Vista on it. I can't find a way to install the FDF toolkit. The way I had to do it before was to copy two files to the "system" folder and run this from a command prompt... "regsvr32 fdfacx.dll" and then the same for fdftk.dll When I ...

How to separate mail from .pst, access later
I copy my .pst file back and forth from my desktop to notebook computer. Now it is very large. How can I separate a lot of the mail I have into a file that I can access when I want to but don't have to copy anymore with the active mail. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...