Linked Tables - adding field and getting overflow error

Hello All,
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This problem has been
bothering me for a week now.

I have a make table query which takes data from a linked Excel table and
creates a new 'Combine' table. When it creates the Combine table I also add
another field called 'Source' to the Combine table. I then have several
append queries which I link to additional Excel linked tables. I take this
data and add it to the Combine table along with a 'Source' field. I created
the source field because I needed to have a field which would tell me which
linked table the data came from for each row in my 'Combine' table.

I have two issues. One is that I have the concept of adding the additional
filed, however; it is not working the way I thought. I wanted the new field,
'Source', to be automatically populated with the table name that the data
came from but instead I am prompted to input the value for each query/table
being linked.

The second issue is that I am getting an overflow message when any of the
queries are run if my Select is in this format:
Select Table1.F16 as Source, *
but if I edit the SQL view and modify it to Select *, Table1.F16 as Source
then I can run it which in SQL view but if I try to save it then Access
changes it back to the first format which causes the overflow.

This is my make table query:
SELECT *, Table1.F16 AS Source INTO Combine
FROM Table1;

This is my append query:
INSERT INTO Combine
SELECT*,  Table2.F16 AS Source
FROM Table2;

Thank you for your time.

'Overflow' means there is a value that's too large to fit into a column,
e.g. a number larger than 32k for an integer column, or larger than 2.1
billion for a Long Integer.

The typical way to solve this is to create the table with the fields the way
you want it, and use the Append query to populate it.

Spreadsheets don't have typed columns. There are times when you could have a
nonumeric value in a spreadsheet column (e.g. "N/A"), and that won't import
into Access.

Perhaps you could append the data by creating a command button that executes
a query string:
    Private Sub Command1_Click()
        Dim strSql As String
        strSql = "INSERT INTO Combine " & _
            "(F1, F2, F3, ... TheSource) " & _
            "SELECT [Table1].*, 'SomeName' AS Source " & _
            "FROM [Table1];"
        dbEngine(0)(0).Execute strSql, dbFailOnError
    End Sub

"IrishRed" <IrishRed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello All,
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This problem has been
> bothering me for a week now.
>
> I have a make table query which takes data from a linked Excel table and
> creates a new 'Combine' table. When it creates the Combine table I also
> add
> another field called 'Source' to the Combine table. I then have several
> append queries which I link to additional Excel linked tables. I take this
> data and add it to the Combine table along with a 'Source' field. I
> created
> the source field because I needed to have a field which would tell me
> which
> linked table the data came from for each row in my 'Combine' table.
>
> I have two issues. One is that I have the concept of adding the additional
> filed, however; it is not working the way I thought. I wanted the new
> field,
> 'Source', to be automatically populated with the table name that the data
> came from but instead I am prompted to input the value for each
> query/table
> being linked.
>
> The second issue is that I am getting an overflow message when any of the
> queries are run if my Select is in this format:
> Select Table1.F16 as Source, *
> but if I edit the SQL view and modify it to Select *, Table1.F16 as Source
> then I can run it which in SQL view but if I try to save it then Access
> changes it back to the first format which causes the overflow.
>
> This is my make table query:
> SELECT *, Table1.F16 AS Source INTO Combine
> FROM Table1;
>
> This is my append query:
> INSERT INTO Combine
> SELECT*,  Table2.F16 AS Source
> FROM Table2;
>
> Thank you for your time.

0
Allen

Excel2000: Is there a way to use name as parameter for ODBC query from Excel table
Hi I have an Excel workbook where dates, started from 01.01.2003 and up to some year in future (2011 at moment), along with some other information (i.e. workday/weekend/holiday, working hours etc.), are listed. This table is read into another workbook, using ODBC query. But the problem is, that I don't need all those future dates. I can't use any functions exept MIN, MAX, SUM and COUNT in query from Excel files, but is there a way to pass a name as parameter. P.e. I define a name: CurrDat=TODAY() and use it in query's WHERE condition, like .... WHERE MyTable.Datefield Is Not Null...

Linking a Chart with graphics to ppt

PA Misc. Log Tables

visual basic

forward to: field
Hi Everyone, im looking for the AD attribute in which the 'forward to:' field of the delivery options is stored. Thank you in advance kind regards marc -- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/ Its in the altRecipient attribute. -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "Marc Wenger" <haga(at).iesg--nspm-noa9h.gmx.ch> wrote in message news:opr64hs7z6fyi4rt@news.microsoft.com... > Hi Everyone, > > im looking for the AD attribute in which the 'forward to:' field of ...

crm 3.0 error 03-01-06

Public Folder link to Excel File

Error in Outlook Today

Getting the BCC field by default.

Re: 'Uknown Error 0x800CCC97'

stop error defeating me

Error in database....

Need HELP! for Linking data

Adding a combo box to a worksheet

Getting rid of selection

Workplace Queues

Adding a Macro to a VLookup Function
In Excel 2000 -- I would like to create a summary spreadsheet (sheet2). For each time that "Name" appears in sheet 1, row *, take information from the same row, but columns 2 and 6 and bring it over to sheet 2 in the designated area. I know that you need to do a "VLookup" function and I got that to work. I know that you also need a "Loop" statement, so that it will continue to perform the Vlookup and bring over the information for each time that the name appears. I don't know how to write the formula so that the VLookup and the Loop are combined. Examp...

error 553