Join based on next closest value (like Excel VLOOKUP)

Trying to do something similar to a VLOOKUP (Excel) in an Access 2003 query.
I have the following tables:

JOBS
Job,Quantity
A,96
B,256
C,300
D,4299

COSTS
Quantity,Cost
0, $1000
100, $1200
200, $1500
300, $2000
400, $2500
500, $3000

I need a query that takes JOBS.Quantity, looks it up in COSTS.Quantity and
find the cost for the NEXT LOWEST quantity.  (Example: Job B has a quantity
of 256 and the next LOWEST quantity from COSTS is 200 so Job B costs $1500.)

The results should be as follows:

JOBS.Job,COSTS.Cost
A,$1000
B,$1500
C,$2000
D,$3000

This would be easy to do in Excel with VLOOKUP. I'd like to do this with a
SQL query. I believe it can be done with non-equijoins and/or some grouping
with MAX or MIN. Can anyone offer a suggestion? I saw some stuff on the web
about using custom functions so I'll also take suggestions on that method,
but I'd prefer to do it with straight query.

Thanks!

Assuming that cost increases with increased quantity:

SELECT Job, MAX(Cost)
FROM Jobs INNER JOIN Costs
ON Jobs.Quantity >= Costs.Quantity
GROUP BY Job;

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

Domenick wrote:
>Trying to do something similar to a VLOOKUP (Excel) in an Access 2003 query.
>I have the following tables:
>
>JOBS
>Job,Quantity
>A,96
>B,256
>C,300
>D,4299
>
>COSTS
>Quantity,Cost
>0, $1000
>100, $1200
>200, $1500
>300, $2000
>400, $2500
>500, $3000
>
>I need a query that takes JOBS.Quantity, looks it up in COSTS.Quantity and
>find the cost for the NEXT LOWEST quantity.  (Example: Job B has a quantity
>of 256 and the next LOWEST quantity from COSTS is 200 so Job B costs $1500.)
>
>The results should be as follows:
>
>JOBS.Job,COSTS.Cost
>A,$1000
>B,$1500
>C,$2000
>D,$3000
>
>This would be easy to do in Excel with VLOOKUP. I'd like to do this with a
>SQL query. I believe it can be done with non-equijoins and/or some grouping
>with MAX or MIN. Can anyone offer a suggestion? I saw some stuff on the web
>about using custom functions so I'll also take suggestions on that method,
>but I'd prefer to do it with straight query.
>
>Thanks!

KenSheridan

How do I create a sample in Excel?

Excel 97 Win XP calc problem?

rounding up values
Has anyone done round up of values to the nearest dollar.For example I want to give a 10% of the price to my customers but if the result is other than .00 then I wanted to round up to the nearest dollar amount.My calculation using sql has been price * percent and then subtract the value from the price, then what do I need to do to roundit up??Thanks for your suggestion.Also I have a problem with my customers that I am extracting and the query does return all the values from 2004 and 2006 that are equal except for the price I have given them, how do I get only the latest ones in 2006 and not th...

Date display in Excel

Excel and some disappeared sheets

Excel 2007 PC damages Mac Excel 2008 Files

line chart with NA() values

Multivalue with Null value SSRS 2005
I have a query to populate a multivalue parameter: SELECT distinct cast(AGRPYear.value as varchar(4)) + AGRPMonth.value 'ReportDate' FROM TPROJECT AS TPROJECT One of the values that is returned from this query is NULL. However, when I run the report, the NULL value does not show in the dropdown. I've also tried adding "select NULL as 'ReportDate' union" to the above query and the null value still doesn't show. As a result some of the records in my database have a null value for this field, they will never show up on my report. Any id...

Like a pivot table
Hello every body I'm first time requesting in this group, so I opologize in advance for any mistakes or something annoying I repeat what I have sent before 10 min because I see it unclear when it goes to news group If any one can help me I'm working with data which most of it comes like a table with feilds as columns and records as rows. I want it to be as many rows with each feild an example what is exist name age Joining Date Tele John 20 Jun-90 4321251 Iqbal 30 Jul-95 6583752 George 40 Sep-85 7843125 What I wa...

Excel error 1706

Mail merge from excel
I am trying to merge a list of names from excel into publisher. When using the mail merge wizard it wont let me load the names all it says is f1 and f2. what am I doing wrong? any help is greatly appreciated. ...

Excel Jululian 04-24-10
Good morning please help i have a lists of names and i want to separate each in a colum like You Light Up My Life197711 You Light Up My Life (in one colum "A") 1977 (in one colum "B") 1 (in one colum "C") 1 (in one colum "E") regards First many thanks on your reply the text are different in length regards "מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן" wrote: > 'Data' > 'Text to Columns' > 'Next' > mark/un-mark the vertical separators as > shown in the picture > 'Finish' >...

Opening Excel email attachments
When downloading excel files AOL says cannot find suitable program.I then go online to find Excel but only get Uopdates. PC is XP version with Works Suite 2002. A fe months back my dear wife was downloading Excel an got board with waiting and shut down the PC! Any suggestions. Thanks Karl Hi there's no legal way to download Excel!! You have to buy< an Excel version and install it on your PC (or try to open the file with MS Works - but live with the restricted functionality) >-----Original Message----- >When downloading excel files AOL says cannot find >suitable progra...

Textbox fomatting value based on another textbox
I have two text boxes on a form. One is a value that can be changed by the user. The second is the value 1 - textbox1. I need everthing to be in %. For example, in textbox1 the user could type 75 and it would automatically be recognized as 75% and textbox2's value would calculate to be 25%. Everytime I try textbox1's value is = to say 7500%. Any help is appreciated. Cheers, Job Maybe something like: Option Explicit Private Sub TextBox1_Exit(ByVal Cancel As MSForms.ReturnBoolean) Dim TB1Val As Double With Me.TextBox1 If IsNumeric(.Value) Then TB1Va...