Imported text file w/o unique identifiers, find duplicates

Imported a txt file w/o unique identifiers and have run a query to find
possible duplicate records based on 3 seperate fields.  How can I either
update those fields that may be in error in the original table or append a
new record w/o the duplicate data and delete the original record?  In the
following I need to determine which records to keep, which to delete and/or
which to update.

End Date Total Sheets   Time        Operator   	Name
3/3/2007	14	  0:00	   00094123	B D MCNARA
3/3/2007	14	  0:00    	   00095681	NAME UNKNOWN
3/17/2007	84	  0:01	   00091234	C D S
3/17/2007	84	  0:01	   00097282	J M Rob

Update....I was considering having the operator hit a checkbox or something
to indicate if a record needs to be deleted, however can't figure out how to
get this delete query to delete that record from the original txt file, not
the query that I used to locate it?  Would that work, and how?

"jeremiah" wrote:

> Imported a txt file w/o unique identifiers and have run a query to find
> possible duplicate records based on 3 seperate fields.  How can I either
> update those fields that may be in error in the original table or append a
> new record w/o the duplicate data and delete the original record?  In the
> following I need to determine which records to keep, which to delete and/or
> which to update.
>
> End Date Total Sheets   Time        Operator   	Name
> 3/3/2007	14	  0:00	   00094123	B D MCNARA
> 3/3/2007	14	  0:00    	   00095681	NAME UNKNOWN
> 3/17/2007	84	  0:01	   00091234	C D S
> 3/17/2007	84	  0:01	   00097282	J M Rob

You might read these records into a temporary table that also contains a
Yes/No field.

Then you create a "Find Duplicates" query that uses whichever fields you
think should be unique to identify the duplicates.  Then, display a
continuous form based on the duplicates query and allow the user to check the
yes/No field for those records that are to be deleted.  Add a "Delete
Checked" button in the footer of this form, and run a query that deletes the
checked records and then requeries the form.  Once there are no "duplicates"
in the list, allow the user to append the remaining records to your main
table.

HTH
Dale
--
Don''t forget to rate the post if it was helpful!

email address is invalid
Please reply to newsgroup only.

"jeremiah" wrote:

> Update....I was considering having the operator hit a checkbox or something
> to indicate if a record needs to be deleted, however can't figure out how to
> get this delete query to delete that record from the original txt file, not
> the query that I used to locate it?  Would that work, and how?
>
> "jeremiah" wrote:
>
> > Imported a txt file w/o unique identifiers and have run a query to find
> > possible duplicate records based on 3 seperate fields.  How can I either
> > update those fields that may be in error in the original table or append a
> > new record w/o the duplicate data and delete the original record?  In the
> > following I need to determine which records to keep, which to delete and/or
> > which to update.
> >
> > End Date Total Sheets   Time        Operator   	Name
> > 3/3/2007	14	  0:00	   00094123	B D MCNARA
> > 3/3/2007	14	  0:00    	   00095681	NAME UNKNOWN
> > 3/17/2007	84	  0:01	   00091234	C D S
> > 3/17/2007	84	  0:01	   00097282	J M Rob

Thank you Dale, once again this community has saved me....

"Dale Fye" wrote:

> You might read these records into a temporary table that also contains a
> Yes/No field.
>
> Then you create a "Find Duplicates" query that uses whichever fields you
> think should be unique to identify the duplicates.  Then, display a
> continuous form based on the duplicates query and allow the user to check the
> yes/No field for those records that are to be deleted.  Add a "Delete
> Checked" button in the footer of this form, and run a query that deletes the
> checked records and then requeries the form.  Once there are no "duplicates"
> in the list, allow the user to append the remaining records to your main
> table.
>
> HTH
> Dale
> --
> Don''t forget to rate the post if it was helpful!
>
> email address is invalid
> Please reply to newsgroup only.
>

> "jeremiah" wrote:
>
> > Update....I was considering having the operator hit a checkbox or something
> > to indicate if a record needs to be deleted, however can't figure out how to
> > get this delete query to delete that record from the original txt file, not
> > the query that I used to locate it?  Would that work, and how?
> >
> > "jeremiah" wrote:
> >
> > > Imported a txt file w/o unique identifiers and have run a query to find
> > > possible duplicate records based on 3 seperate fields.  How can I either
> > > update those fields that may be in error in the original table or append a
> > > new record w/o the duplicate data and delete the original record?  In the
> > > following I need to determine which records to keep, which to delete and/or
> > > which to update.
> > >
> > > End Date Total Sheets   Time        Operator   	Name
> > > 3/3/2007	14	  0:00	   00094123	B D MCNARA
> > > 3/3/2007	14	  0:00    	   00095681	NAME UNKNOWN
> > > 3/17/2007	84	  0:01	   00091234	C D S
> > > 3/17/2007	84	  0:01	   00097282	J M Rob

Disctinct in advanced find ??

msnpst files
All: Does anyone have any tips on opening an MSN local folder -- .msnpst -- with Outlook? I can open regular .pst files but Outlook won't recognize the .msnpst files that MSN mail creates. Thanks, John you need to add an account using the msn connector then try closing outlook and replacing the new pst it creates with the old one by renaming the pst's. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: htt...

Regular Expression to find repeating pattern?
Can a Regular Expression find and return any repeating pattern, where you don't know what the repeating pattern will be? For example, given the strings: abababab abcdeabcdeabcde Can a Regular Expression find that (a) these strings have repeating patterns, and that (b) the patterns are ab for the first string, and abcde for the second string? I realize it's easy to find a repeating pattern if you know the exact pattern you're looking for. What I'm asking about is where you don't know what the repeating pattern might be, nor how many characters it might...

Cannot compose email in html format only plain text
I have some sort of html problem as I can't insert text into any text boxes in explorer. I also can't highlight text and in outlook I can't enter text into an email in html format, however in plain text I can. I have installed the new XP sp2 update, I have used the detect and repair option in Outlook, I have tried running explorer from another pc on the network on my pc all to no avail. So I am guessing that it is a problem caused externally of explorer and outlook. And I have also ran a fully updated virus check. Any help would be much appreciated as this is driving ...

Missing Message Text

bmp files in Excel Hyperlinks open with wrong program
I have a list of tools in Excel, and I have used Excel's hyperlinking feature to allow displaying a picture of the tool by clicking the link. They always open with Paint, regardless of what I do in the "Folder Options >> File Types" box. I have customized the .BMP file type by adding "Edit with Paint" and "Edit with PhotoEditor" entries to the default settings. Does Excel look for the entry actually labeled "Open" or does it just grab the first entry from the list? (in this case, "Edit with Paint" is first, because they are ...

Excel 2007 convert into tab delimeter text file with extra tab spa
Hi , Sub: I have excel 2007 trying to save as tab delimeted text file having an issue. I have saved my excel 2007 as separate Tab delimited Text files. I see extra tabs stored in the tab delimited text files. But when I do the same with excel 2003 it works fine there is not extra tabs stored in my tab delimited text file. My excel 2007 conveted to tab delimited text file looks like as shown below(Extra two tabs at the end of the each record). Data0<Tab>data1<Tab><Tab> Data2<Tab>data3<Tab><Tab> Appreciate your help in advance. Rega...

Word cannot complete the save due to a file permission error
Hi there, One of my corporate users is experiencing an odd issue producing an error message when attempting to save a Word 2007 document. 1. User has the pre-existing (not new) document open and clicks the save button. 2. In what seems to be a random occurrence, the document will bring up a "Save As" dialog box asking him where to save, as if Word forgot where the document is already saved! Odd thing is, it shows the proper location where the file already exists. 3. User will choose the same location and replace the file. Sometimes it will overwrite and save prope...

Finding Contacts
I am running Outlook 2003 w/SBS2003. I have a number of contacts in my main contact list. I am trying to use the "Find a Contact" box on the toolbar. However, I have only intermittent success. There are times that I type in a name in the Find a Contact box that I have in my contact list only to have Outlook tell me that "Outlook could not find the requested contact." I have searched high and low for a solution. I have played/adjusted my address book settings. I have made sure that the main contact list that holds the existing (but "not found") contacts is s...

find last cell in column
Hi, Apart from using VBA, is there any way to write a formula that will find the last used cell in a column of 15 cells? In the first set below, it would be ..388, in the second set it would be .133. Any help would be appreciated. 0.006 0.000 0.036 0.125 0.133 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.313 0.388 0.006 0.000 0.036 0.125 0.133 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 ...

Temporary Excel files.
Hi, does anyone know where Excel stores its temp files to managing multiple opened copies of the same workbook? Word stores its lock files in same directory of the opened document, but Excel? Thanks in advance for the answers. Alex On a single user (non-networked pc), excel will put a few files in your windows temp folder. But I think it does more than just that. (Just guessing!) When the workbook is on a network, excel/windows is smart enough to be able to tell that second person the the file is in use. If the only indicator were on the first user's temp file, then the seco...

Outlook 2000, large pst file slow to open or corrupt
Hi, this is a very frustratring problem I hope someone canhelp us with. I've established that the outlook.pst file is either too large of corrupt. I've run scanpst which found no problem, the pst file is 2gb! should this cause a problem? I can't reduce the size of the file, although is will open, it won't let me delete of move anything or even archive - reporting that it can;t access the pst file although I can open it and browse contacts and messages (it's very slow doing this though) How can I reduce the size of this file in another way? See if this info helps: http:...

RMS needs to add an Import Utility to the program
I think I speak for alot of people here. RMS should add an import Utility to the program. Every body needs to import some type of file from time to time. You pay enoght money for this and they know from the start that you will be importing data from your old POS system. Or like in my case, every year I have new items or a new supplier. and for me to get an Add in that may or maynot work is not good enoght. Jose -- Reynold Cycle I agree totally but, for me, the main attraction of RMS over similar solutions was the open SQL Server database and the ability to customise. You can downlo...

Import into Access from Excel, passing a variable as the field...
Hello all, I have an Excel spreadsheet with a header that contains the exact same 30 names as the corresponding 30 fields in an Access DB table, and Row 2 below the Header contains the data I want to import. Instead, of physically typing all 30 fields in the code, I have a macro that loops through each "field" name that it got from the spreadsheet header. When I run this macro I get "run-time error '3265' Item not found in this collection', however, when I specify the actual field Name manually it works. This what I have: Dim iColumn As Integer Dim FieldName As ...

Need several text box templates
Hi, Am making a catalog over 80 pages. I love this program. My concern is with text boxes. I have a general text box template that is used for each new page. Works fine. But within that page is another text box or several that is filled in with color for emphasis. Not used on all pages but is a "subcategory" text box. Used as needed. I need to change the color and realize there is no way to make an acros-the-board-change. Or is there? So the first question is: 1) Can I change the format (fill-in) text boxes that are inside a text box all at once? 2) Can I make a template for a ...

Merging 2 Spreadsheets w/ referencing
I have two tab delimited spreadsheet files of a product database. My MAIN concern here is that I need to import the prices from one spreadsheet, to a specific column in my original spreadsheet, and I need those prices to correspond with the respective product IDs. Is this possible ??? thanks in advance guys! My main spreadsheet (tab delimited file) I have it setup as follows: A B C D ProductID49483 Brief Description Image.jpg 3.00 ProductID93094 Brief Description Image.jpg 5.00 ProductID30...

Duplicate Copies
I am running Outlook 2002 on Microsoft XP Home. When I open Outlook it downloads up to 20 copies of each e-mail from my pop3 account. I have run repair from Help, and uninstalled / reinstalled Outlook. But this problem continues, and I really need some help. Thanks in advance, Dan S G'Day Dan, Check that:- Tools>Options Mail setup (tab) Email Accounts (button) Next (button) Change (button) More settings (button) Advanced (tab) Delivery (section(lower)) ...

How do I eliminate duplicate addresses from my address book?
-- DickW Post a clear detailed question in the body of the post, including why you think you have duplicates. From what little you have posted I am guessing that you are mistaken and do not even have duplicates in the Outlook address book. Provide the evidence that you do, and include your Outlook version. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Little Richard" <littlerichard@pactcenter.org> wrote in message news:1E926250-CCCC-4831-B0FF-5002C46D05FA@microsoft.com... > > -- > DickW ...

Try these important update
--aggpexytarh Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="ovpxzxjley"; type="multipart/alternative" --ovpxzxjley Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="prvgddqc" --prvgddqc Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to protect your c...

[Windows 7] Move "Show Desktop" to the left side of taskbar, how to? (w/pic)
I want the "Show Desktop" button to be by the start button like it was in XP. How to do that? Pic is self-explanitory --> http://i46.tinypic.com/257qbmb.jpg See http://www.msfn.org/board/regards-moving-show-desktop-t128691.html&s=beadc2ca061fa0aff6d25b3f0f85f790 On 29/11/2009 13:32, G. Morgan wrote: > I want the "Show Desktop" button to be by the start button like it was in XP. > How to do that? > > Pic is self-explanitory --> > http://i46.tinypic.com/257qbmb.jpg ...

Where can I find Exchange EventID Descriptions #2
Hello. I need to create software which analyse MSExchange event log on the fact of occurence critical Exchange Server events. But can't find more or less full description of MS Exchange Server 5.5/2000 events. I've tried to find it in MSDN, Exchange SDK - nothing. Where can I find full description of MS Exchange Server events ID's (eventlog). Thanks. have a look at www.eventid.net they have a great event id resource and event monitors Simon "Igor" <igor_bo@pochta.ru> wrote in message news:266001c3e0dd$4e1948e0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Hello. > I need to cr...

Outlook 2007 long delay when attaching a file
Hi group, I have a long delay (about a minute) when attaching a file. Outlook freezes for a minute before Browse for a file dialog appears. Configuration: Windows 7 x64 BitLocker is enabled Domain joined computer Outlook 2007 SP2 Outlook uses Exchange Server 2007 Any ideas? BR, Mindaugas Do you have mapped drives? That will add a delay. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.ne...

Saving files as JPG
Often when I save a logo and/or a flyer in publisher and then save it as a jpg for bi print jobs there is a LINE along the side of the piece ... any ideas of how to get rid of it or WHAT might cause it? This happens once in a while, never have figured out why. You can open the image in Paint; erase the line. Or crop it out when you use the image in Publisher. Do you get the line if you save the picture as a .png or .tif? -- Mary Sauer MVP http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Greetings&Salutations" <Greetings&Salutations@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

Merge file pairs
I have several hundreds of pairs of files (file1 in one subfolder i paired to file1 in second subfolder) where I need to open the pair copy arange (columns a to e) from one file to the other, then save an close the files. Then loop on to the next pair in the list. Has anyon done this? Can you point me to examples? I've looked at several we sites (debruin, for ex.) but cannot find exactly what I need. Al suggestions welcome -- rroac ----------------------------------------------------------------------- rroach's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2...

double address import check
Hi, Microsoft CRM has a nice function to import new addresses into CRM. Only minus is that it won't check for double addresses. I'm curious if someone has a great solution for this. Some nice MS CRM add-on which can check if their are possible double addresses in the database. kind regards, Michel www.notetaker.nl version 3 will have some nice features for identifying and merging duplicate records. Dave "Michel//www.notetaker.nl" <info@nospamnotetaker.nl> wrote in message news:ex%236GQMpFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > Microsoft CRM has a ...