How to sum all the records, excluding the top N ones?

I have no difficulty creating a query that sums the top 20 records. What I
need, however, is how to sum the rest, that is, all the other records,
excluding the top 20 ones.

Thanks in advance,

Paulo

Care to post your existing query that sums the TOP 20?

The sum of the rest is basically the sum of ALL minus the Sum of the Top 20.

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

Paulo wrote:
> I have no difficulty creating a query that sums the top 20 records. What I
> need, however, is how to sum the rest, that is, all the other records,
> excluding the top 20 ones.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paulo
0
John
3/3/2010 4:58:12 PM
Try this method. Save your top 20 query.

Create a totals query with your table left joined to the top 20 query on
primary key.  Use criteria where top 20 query primary key field is null.

Union the two queries.

--
Build a little, test a little.

"Paulo" wrote:

> I have no difficulty creating a query that sums the top 20 records. What I
> need, however, is how to sum the rest, that is, all the other records,
> excluding the top 20 ones.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paulo
I missed the part about summing the top 20 so change what I said about the
'primary key' to use the GROUP BY fields of the top 20.

--
Build a little, test a little.

"KARL DEWEY" wrote:

> Try this method. Save your top 20 query.
>
> Create a totals query with your table left joined to the top 20 query on
> primary key.  Use criteria where top 20 query primary key field is null.
>
> Union the two queries.
>
> --
> Build a little, test a little.
>

> "Paulo" wrote:
>
> > I have no difficulty creating a query that sums the top 20 records. What I
> > need, however, is how to sum the rest, that is, all the other records,
> > excluding the top 20 ones.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Paulo
It's a rather long SQL string for the Top 20 query:

SELECT TOP 20 Orders.Supplier, Sum(Orders.[Order Qty]) AS [SumOfOrder Qty],
Sum(Orders.[Received Qty]) AS [SumOfReceived Qty],
Sum(IIf([Orders]![Channel]="WHOLESALE",IIf([Orders]![Status]="REC",[Orders]![Received
Qty]*[WSale Price]*(1-[Seasons]![VAT Rate]),[Orders]![Order Qty]*[WSale
Price]*(1-[Seasons]![VAT
Rate])),IIf([Orders]![Status]="REC",[Orders]![Received Qty]*[Std Retail
Price]*(1-[Seasons]![VAT Rate]),[Orders]![Order Qty]*[Std Retail
Price]*(1-[Seasons]![VAT Rate])))) AS Revenue,
Sum(IIf([Orders]![Status]="REC",[Orders]![Received Qty]*[Landed GBP
Cost],[Orders]![Order Qty]*[Landed GBP Cost])) AS Costs, IIf([SumOfOrder
Qty]=0,0,[SumOfReceived Qty]/[SumOfOrder Qty]) AS RecRatio
FROM Seasons INNER JOIN (Currencies INNER JOIN Orders ON Currencies.Original
= Orders.Currency) ON Seasons.Season = Orders.[Col Ssn]
WHERE (((Orders.[Col Ssn])=[Forms]![Orders Tracking]![SelectionString]))
GROUP BY Orders.Supplier
ORDER BY
Sum(IIf([Orders]![Channel]="WHOLESALE",IIf([Orders]![Status]="REC",[Orders]![Received
Qty]*[WSale Price]*(1-[Seasons]![VAT Rate]),[Orders]![Order Qty]*[WSale
Price]*(1-[Seasons]![VAT
Rate])),IIf([Orders]![Status]="REC",[Orders]![Received Qty]*[Std Retail
Price]*(1-[Seasons]![VAT Rate]),[Orders]![Order Qty]*[Std Retail
Price]*(1-[Seasons]![VAT Rate])))) DESC;

I am also trying to get the rest by subtracting the Top 20 query from the
ALL query, but it has not been so straightforward, because I am failing to
get a single line query that shows the REST totals for each field in the
query.

Paulo

"John Spencer" wrote:

> Care to post your existing query that sums the TOP 20?
>
> The sum of the rest is basically the sum of ALL minus the Sum of the Top 20.
>

> John Spencer
> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
> The Hilltop Institute
> University of Maryland Baltimore County
>
> Paulo wrote:
> > I have no difficulty creating a query that sums the top 20 records. What I
> > need, however, is how to sum the rest, that is, all the other records,
> > excluding the top 20 ones.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Paulo
> .

So your query (qTop20)is query one.

One option is to use the first query to eliminate records before doing the sum
SELECT Sum(Orders.[Order Qty]) AS [SumOfOrder Qty]
, Sum(Orders.[Received Qty]) AS [SumOfReceived Qty]
, Sum(IIf([Orders]![Channel]="WHOLESALE",
        IIf([Orders]![Status]="REC"
           , [Orders]![Received Qty]*[WSale Price]*(1-[Seasons]![VAT Rate])
           , [Orders]![Order Qty]*[WSale Price]*(1-[Seasons]![VAT Rate]))
      , IIf([Orders]![Status]="REC"
           ,[Orders]![Received Qty]*[Std Retail Price]*(1-[Seasons]![VAT Rate])
           , [Orders]![Order Qty]*[Std Retail Price]*(1-[Seasons]![VAT Rate]
       )))) AS Revenue
, Sum(IIf([Orders]![Status]="REC",[Orders]![Received Qty]*[Landed GBP Cost]
	, [Orders]![Order Qty]*[Landed GBP Cost])) AS Costs
, IIf([SumOfOrder Qty]=0,0,[SumOfReceived Qty]/[SumOfOrder Qty]) AS RecRatio
FROM (Seasons INNER JOIN (Currencies
INNER JOIN Orders ON Currencies.Original = Orders.Currency)
ON Seasons.Season = Orders.[Col Ssn])
LEFT JOIN qTop20 ON Orders.Supplier = qTop20.Supplier
WHERE (((Orders.[Col Ssn])=[Forms]![Orders Tracking]![SelectionString]))
AND qTop20.Supplier is Null

Another option is to make second query (qTotalAll) just like you first query
without the TOP 20 and without the supplier so you get grand totals for all
the items.

[...]

Now you need a third query 9qTotalTop20) that makes a grand total of the first
query.
SELECT Sum(SumOfOrder qty) as SumOqty
, Sum(SumOfRecieved qty) As SumRqty
, Sum(Revenue) as SumRevenure
, Sum(Costs) as SumCosts
FROM qTop20

FINALLY, you can run
SELECT qTotalAll.[SumOfOrder Qty] - qTotalTop20.SumOqty
, ...
FROM qTotalAll, qTotalTop20

You can try both solutions and see if they work.  AND if one is faster than
the other.

Hope this has given you some ideas.

Paulo wrote:
> It's a rather long SQL string for the Top 20 query:
>
> SELECT TOP 20 Orders.Supplier, Sum(Orders.[Order Qty]) AS [SumOfOrder Qty],
> Sum(Orders.[Received Qty]) AS [SumOfReceived Qty],
> Sum(IIf([Orders]![Channel]="WHOLESALE",IIf([Orders]![Status]="REC",[Orders]![Received
> Qty]*[WSale Price]*(1-[Seasons]![VAT Rate]),[Orders]![Order Qty]*[WSale
> Price]*(1-[Seasons]![VAT
> Rate])),IIf([Orders]![Status]="REC",[Orders]![Received Qty]*[Std Retail
> Price]*(1-[Seasons]![VAT Rate]),[Orders]![Order Qty]*[Std Retail
> Price]*(1-[Seasons]![VAT Rate])))) AS Revenue,
> Sum(IIf([Orders]![Status]="REC",[Orders]![Received Qty]*[Landed GBP
> Cost],[Orders]![Order Qty]*[Landed GBP Cost])) AS Costs, IIf([SumOfOrder
> Qty]=0,0,[SumOfReceived Qty]/[SumOfOrder Qty]) AS RecRatio
> FROM Seasons INNER JOIN (Currencies INNER JOIN Orders ON Currencies.Original
> = Orders.Currency) ON Seasons.Season = Orders.[Col Ssn]
> WHERE (((Orders.[Col Ssn])=[Forms]![Orders Tracking]![SelectionString]))
> GROUP BY Orders.Supplier
> ORDER BY
> Sum(IIf([Orders]![Channel]="WHOLESALE",IIf([Orders]![Status]="REC",[Orders]![Received
> Qty]*[WSale Price]*(1-[Seasons]![VAT Rate]),[Orders]![Order Qty]*[WSale
> Price]*(1-[Seasons]![VAT
> Rate])),IIf([Orders]![Status]="REC",[Orders]![Received Qty]*[Std Retail
> Price]*(1-[Seasons]![VAT Rate]),[Orders]![Order Qty]*[Std Retail
> Price]*(1-[Seasons]![VAT Rate])))) DESC;
>
> I am also trying to get the rest by subtracting the Top 20 query from the
> ALL query, but it has not been so straightforward, because I am failing to
> get a single line query that shows the REST totals for each field in the
> query.
>
> Paulo
>

> "John Spencer" wrote:
>
>> Care to post your existing query that sums the TOP 20?
>>
>> The sum of the rest is basically the sum of ALL minus the Sum of the Top 20.
>>

>> John Spencer
>> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
>> The Hilltop Institute
>> University of Maryland Baltimore County
>>
>> Paulo wrote:
>>> I have no difficulty creating a query that sums the top 20 records. What I
>>> need, however, is how to sum the rest, that is, all the other records,
>>> excluding the top 20 ones.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Paulo
>> .

0
John

Application works on one PC but not on another with same OS?
Hi, My application works OK on my PC (Windows 2000, latest server pack) but not on my colleague's (same OS and SP). One difference is that I have the .NET IDE installed on my machine, and he doesn't. I used to have the same problem on my machine. An error was generated because (IIRC) I was using an MFC string comparison method on a char array. This worked in my debug config., but not in the release config. I replaced the code with a strcmp method, and that fixed it on my machine, but not on his. Is there something I should update in his Window's installation when I install the ap...

how to paste data from top to bottom to bottom to top
some of the historical data (monthly data, 1980-jan, Feb, march...1981-Jan, feb.march....) are on this format. But i need them to be pasted as the otherway around (1981-Dec, Nov.....feb,jan,1980-dec,Nov...feb,jan). If I had to do this, I'd try to convert each of those non-dates into real dates. One way is to use a formula: with 1980-Jan in A1, I could put this in B1 =DATEVALUE(RIGHT(A1,3)&" 1, "&LEFT(A1,4)) Format that cell as a date and see: Jan 1, 1980 Then you could do pretty much anything you want with that column of real dates. But the formula you need really...

Toolbar at top of IE
I have Windows XP, IE version 8. This question is about the toolbars showing at the top of IE. The upper one that (normally) shows the words: File - Edit - View - Favorites - Tools - Help, and the lower one that (again, normally) shows (among others) the important word: Home. Recently, periodically, the background for those two toolbars turns totally black, so the words cannot be read. Fortunately Home has an icon, which DOES show up. As for the upper one, if I click on where I think the word is (i.e. Favorites, which I use very frequently) the drop-down menu appears, s...

Problem cut-n-paste function
I'm having a bizarre problem cut-n-pasting a very simple calculation (ie = A1 � B1) in C1 down the column (ie C2 to Cn). When I cut-n-paste the function in C1, value that displays is the same as the source cell. If I click on the target cell, the correct cells are highlighted and if I hit the enter button, the formula calculates as expected. What is going on? What do I have to do to force the formula to auto calculate? Turn on Automatic Calculation <g>. You do that at Tools/Options/Calculation. On 27 Sep 2004 18:56:34 -0700, jsausten@hotmail.com (Stephen Miller) wrote: >I'm...

Message Stuck in Outbox to Only One Particular Email Address
Hi: I have Outlook 2007 and have been using it for about 2 months or so. I have encountered a problem with sending emails. I have sent emails to a particular email address (WinTips-Tricks@yahoogroups.com ) and the emails get stuck in the outbox. The CPU usage is very high (about 76%) and the taskbar icon flashes furiously. If I look in the outbox, the email is also doing a staccato flash. At the bottom of Outlook the send says complete, yet the flashing taskbar icon, and flashing email in the outbox remain. After awhile (about 2-3 minutes) this stops, but the email remains in the outbox....

update worksheet in one file with worksheet in another file
I want to have one worksheet in one of my excel files (file 1) to reflect the contents of a worksheet in another file (file 2) every time it is opened (file 1), that is, everytime it is opened this one tab should reflect the last changes made on the tab in another file, including formating. I suspect this is possible but I don't have a clue how to do it. I have a few questions: Can this be done without VBA? (I'm not even a beginner with VBA!) I did search the web some and found the following that looks interesting: http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadI...

Remove records from lookup
Not sure if this is possible but I would like to remove all records except the account records from the look up records dropdown menu of the appointment entity. The associated schema is regardingobjectid and the label is regarding. I see the other entities listed under relationships but there is no option to delete. Is there a way to create a new lookup and have it added to my appointment form? Thanks. There is no supported way to change this. The system is setup to allow you to set appointments that are related to specific records (Opportunities, Quotes, Cases, etc) and it will then ro...

I have a problem with getting a total Sum of numbers (URGENT)
I'd really appreciate if someone could help me here. I am using Microsoft Excel 2002 on a Microsoft Office XP system. I a trying to develop a minor league baseball schedule, but am having som problems. I have attached a copy of my spreadsheet to give everyone some idea o what I'm doing here. I have where the fans list the "RUNS, HITS & ERRORS) of both teams an for each game of the series. I then have it set up in the TOTA WON/LOST column where if the T-Bones RUNS are more than the SALTDOG runs, a "1" appears in the WON column. If the SALTDOGS have a highe numbe...

How to share info from one file to another?
I am wondering how I can share something perhaps from a cell of "file 1 to "file 2." I am familiar with how to do it from worksheet t worksheet within a single file. From what I have heard I know that i can be done but both files have to be located in the same folder. Correct me if I am wrong and please tell me briefly how it can be done I appologize if this is a newbie question. Thanks Chip Carlto -- ChipCarlto ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ChipCarlton's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&useri...

I'm looking for a community just like this one but for Entourge?
I need to lear how to import and what formats I can import into Microsoft Entourge. I'm hoping that at least someone can tell me of a community just like this one. Thank you. http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.mac.office.entourage Gilbert wrote: > I need to lear how to import and what formats I can import into Microsoft > Entourge. I'm hoping that at least someone can tell me of a community just > like this one. Thank you. Thank you very much Bob. "Bob I" wrote: > http://www.micros...

DNS Question
Hello All, I am working with a customer that has 2 Small Biz servers in the same office. These are on 2 domains, but the same subnet. I am having trouble getting mail to route between the 2 domains. Each is Small Biz server 2003. Domain A has a public IP of 72.151.19.122 and an internal IP of 192.168.200.78. Domain B has a public IP of 72.151.19.123 and an internal IP of 192.168.200.250. We are using a Netgear firewall and inbound and outbound mail between each of these domains and the rest of the world works fine. They just can't seem to talk to each other. I would think this woul...

enter-key works with two inputboxes but not with olny one.
Hi, There is a form with two inputboxes and a submit button.The focus is on the first inputbox. When the user presses the enter-key without having entered some text, the javascript message "wrong text" appears. This works. But if i remove the second inputbox, leaving only the first inputbox and the submit button, pressing the enter-key without any text does not show the javascript message. Nothing happens. The focus remains in the inputbox. You can see the page is postbacked, but that's all. Why does it work with two inputboxes and not with one? And how to fix...

Saving one page -- as Template?
Therre are several pages in a 40-page booklet I want to save to use in future editions. Is there a method to save these pages for re-us? Or must I save the entire publication as a Template? Can I copy single pages and paste in another .pub file? Save the entire document and delete out the pages you don't want. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "cuig" <cuig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16052168-6085-43D0-AD8B-2CF4839933FC@microsoft.com... > Therre are several pages in...

ACCESS 2000 is deleting records
Just yesterday I converted an Access 97 database to Access 2000. Have a large problem I need help with. After converting the DB I "split it" in order to use it as a backend, same way it was in Access97. After converting the database to Access2k we began to have a problem with Access2k deleting records. it deleted a total of 4 out of 62 records. the records are not together ( record #289365 then 289048 then 289128 then 289178 then this morning 289405) these record are auto-numbered incerement of one. They were entered by different people so I know its not just an operator probl...

Creating a task with a duration = sum of all tasks durations
Is it possible to have a task that has a duration equal the sum of the duration for a set of tasks and that has work for that task calculated automatically based on a formula of say number of hours per day times the number of days duration? Duration is not additive but work is. Imagine a summary task that has 3 subtasks, each of which lasts one day. If the three are in parallel, starting together, they all finish at the same timne and all work on the summary is complete since all work on its children is complete, The summary task duration is 1 day. But as to work, each subt...

Win or Linux for Airlines? WHich one is better? Vacuum Power Of An Average Airplane Toilet
Seven years ago, the Poop Fetish community was embroiled in discussion about an unfortunate traveler who claimed she was vacuum-suctioned to an airplane toilet seat. Her claim was subsequently tested and disproven. But what was never in doubt was the suction power of an airplane toilet. AirTran Airlines has got some dude living on one of their planes for thirty days as some sort of PR stunt. No, he has NOT gotten stuck on an airline toilet. But he HAS provided an extremely visceral demonstration of just how powerfully these airplane toilets do, indeed, suck. Behold on YouTube; ...

Sum of values in a form
Folks, I have read numerous threads on this topic, and understand that in order for my Sum() to work I need t ensure all references are made back to the Record Source. I have endeavoured to do this, but am still getting #Error. I am trying to Sum the revenue each tenant provides in a given date range, to give a total revenue figure. If the date range is a whole month, then the expression just takes the value of Rent PCM, and not Rent PCM * No. of Days, which would give some unusual results. My Expression looks like this: =Sum(Nz(IIf([Short Let]=-1,[Rent pcm],IIf(Day([Forms]...

Link footer of one file to cells in another file
Is this possible? Only via code... Option Explicit Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) With Me.Worksheets("sheet1") .PageSetup.CenterFooter = .Range("a1").Text End With End Sub If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm If you want to read more about these kinds of events: Chip Pearson's site: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/events.htm David McRitchie's site: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/event.htm Laura wrote: > > Is this po...

space between lines to be one
Re: Outlook 2003 I use Outlook to process my e-mail. How would I make the space between lines to be one (1)? Sometimes the space between lines is two (2), especially between paragraphs. Thank you, Barry Karas "Barry Karas" <barrykaras1234@comcast.net> wrote in message news:EZidnXsnw4464xHbnZ2dnUVZ_rqhnZ2d@comcast.com... > Re: Outlook 2003 > > I use Outlook to process my e-mail. How would I make the space between > lines to be one (1)? > > Sometimes the space between lines is two (2), especially between > paragraphs. > > Thank you, > >...

Print multiple tabs on one page
How to print multiple tabs in excel onto one page in one print job? Tab1 and tab2 have different format and cannot be combined into one tab. Need to print the two worksheets one on top of each other is the same direction. Tried Report Manager but printed on two pieces of paper. Any suggestions? One way to accomplish something like this is to play around with "pictures". I'm on an XL97 machine now so, When you hold down <Shift> and hit <Edit>, you get a different dialog box .... one that contains "picture " options. So, select an entire sheet, or p...

Sum alternate columns over a large (>100) range
I need to sum alternate columns over a very large number of columns. Is there an easy way to do this? Sum(A1+C1+E1+G1 .... ) seems to bomb out after about 32 entries and I need more than this. Any Help, Thanks, Try instead, something like: =3DSUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(COLUMN(A1:Z1),2)=3D1),A1:Z1) or for all 256 cols A to IV (i.e. the entire row: A1:IV1) =3DSUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(COLUMN(1:1),2)=3D1),1:1) -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1=B0 22' N 103=B0 45' E xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- Kanga 85 wrote: > I need to sum alternate columns over a very large number of columns...

Convert "1" to "One" in Excel 2003?
How do I convert "1" to "One" in Excel 2003? Use Laurent Longre's Morefunc.xll from http://xcell05.free.fr/ HTH. Best wishes Harald "C2K" <C2K@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:E287730D-9F80-484A-9C15-986D27C501F8@microsoft.com... > How do I convert "1" to "One" in Excel 2003? C2K, have a look here http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always...

Insert query with two left outer joins gives "Record is Deleted" m
Hi, I have built an insert query to combine data from 3 tables into one table based on a key value (RA_ID) on a form. Two of the from tables may or may not have data associated with the main from table. So I have coded the select from statement using left outer joins. When I run the query with a row in the first child table but not in the second it works fine but when I run the query with a key value that exists in the 2nd child table but not in the first I get a message saying "record is deleted". Anybody have any ideas what is causing this? Here is the query......... ...

Multiple display names for one user?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C42D19.8EED3880 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Is this possible? We have a few people that I like to call "special" = who seem to have some identity problems. These people have a first = name, middle name and a nick name. Well they don't like the fact that = their email shows up as their legal name, but they still want it there = incase people use it. So what we have ended up doing is creating = multiple logins and email accounts th...

All in One Printer defaults to "fax"??
This happens when we try to print from WLPG. If we catch it and change printer designation without the "fax" we can print pictures on the printer. Would like to change the default setting away from the fax machine. Anybody know if it can be done, and how to do it? Thanks, Mike Version of Windows? In Windows, you should be able to set the default printer and WLPG should respect that settings. -steve "Dian and Mike" <mdstoakes@windstream.net> wrote: >This happens when we try to print from WLPG. If we catch it and change >printer designat...