how to allow the user to enter their search criteria

HI
I have wached the video showing me how the user of the DB can enter their
own dates to perform a query but I need to know how the user of my database
can enter for example their own "Country" or "insitution" so that they can
find for example - all students who have went to "Japan" or "Kyoto
University".

My columns are headed "Country" and "institution" - i tried for example
"=[Country]" it worked the first time and allowed the user to enter the
country but then it stopped and didn't give a search option at all - clicking
on the query just brough up al the records.

Create a form with unbound fields for Country and Institution.  Then create a
query which refers to those fields as its criteria.   For example, for the
field country, in the criteria you could have:

Like "*" & [Forms]![frmNewForm]![Country] &"*"

On the after update event of the unbound field, or on a button on your form,
you could have the code to open the query or a report based off your query.

If you want a range of data create unbound fields BegCountry and EndCountry
on your form.  Then the criteria string in the query would be:

Between [Forms]![frmNewForm]![BegCountry] and
[Forms]![frmNewForm]![EndCountry]

Hope this helps

No1momof3 wrote:
> HI
> I have wached the video showing me how the user of the DB can enter
> their own dates to perform a query but I need to know how the user of
> my database can enter for example their own "Country" or "insitution"
> so that they can find for example - all students who have went to
> "Japan" or "Kyoto University".
>
> My columns are headed "Country" and "institution" - i tried for
> example "=[Country]" it worked the first time and allowed the user to
> enter the country but then it stopped and didn't give a search option
> at all - clicking on the query just brough up al the records.

I'm surprised it worked the first time. This can only work when the
parameter name is different from any of the objects in the query's
scope. In this case, you said "=[Country]" ... well, "Country" is the
name of a field in your table, so Access has no reason to prompt for a
value. If you had said this instead it would have worked:
=[Enter country name]
--
HTH,
Bob Barrows

0
Bob

Error when adding new user to CRM
Hello all, I need to add 5 new users into CRM. When I complete the first form for the user information such as Last name, First name, email address, etc, then click the save button I receive an error page and the following message is logged in the Application log. MSCRM Platform Error Report: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Error: The statement has been terminated. Error Message: The statement has been terminated. Error Details: Details on this error have not been provided by the platform. Source File: Not avail...

SBS Exchange 2003: Create new user in AD but no exchange mailbox #3
I'm using SBS 2003. Exchange server is SP2. When I create a new user using Active Directory, it prompts me about creating a mail box. It says it's creating a mailbox, then it's done. But no mailbox appears. In fact, if I use the Exchange tasks wizard, I can create, delete, and recreate the mailbox--all say successful without an error message. And yet, no mailbox. This is even after I reboot the PC and sent email to the address. Any ideas what's going on? mike.aes@gmail.com wrote: > I'm using SBS 2003. Exchange server is SP2. > > When I create a new user ...

Lookup Function in user form
I have a combo box (cboitem1) and a text box (txtprice1). I am using the code below to have txtprice1 fill with the corresponding price the worksheet: Private Sub Cboitem1_Change() If cboItem1 <> "" Then txtprice1.Value = Excel.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(cboItem1.Value, Sheets("Pizzas").Range("A1:B65536"), 2, False) End If End Sub It works perfectly when you enter an existing value in cboitem1. However if 'the user' accidently types a letter that is not the first letter of one of the existing items VB debugging pops up with error &qu...

Excel user information
I am interested in learning about who uses Excel and how they use it. For example, what percentage of users have had formal training; how many use VLookup, or how many build models from scratch. Does anyone know of a source for such information? Thanks. Steve Powell No idea where you would get official stats, if indeed they even exist (Which i doubt), but happy to give you my personal guess:- Formal Training - Less than 1% Use VLOOKUP - Less than 10% Build Models - Depends on definition of what a model is. A couple of cells of data with a formula could be construed as a model, so I...

Outlook won't allow me to delete message
I tried to forward an email message and it did not work. The message sat in the Outbox after the rest of the messages where sent. I then clicked on the message and 'forwarded' it. That message was sent. When I then tried to delete the original message in the 'Outbox' folder, it will not allow it and gives me the following message: 'This message interface has produced an unknown error. If the problem persits, restart Outlook. When I restarted Outlook (three times) the message still appears when I try to delete it. Everything else works fine and I can continu...

A/R
Allow the ability to refund to a credit card ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=407d3a67-581a-4ea1-91f3-cd2186c25a89&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains ...

Could Microsoft create a MSPOS user manual?
My customers are asking for one. Guess we were spoiled by RMS Store Operations having one available after Microsoft updated the SMS Commerce manuals. Makes me expect one for MSPOS even though most software no longer has printed manuals. -- Jeff Faul Merchants Solutions ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and t...

Determine when Enter Key is pressed in a sheet??
I want to determine when Enter key is pressed in a sheet that is active?? I would like then to run a macro when the Enter key is pressed ?? The Enter Key is not a capturable event. Worksheet change is This added to the individual worksheet in VBA will trigger when ever the sheet is changed. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target as Range) 'Do Stuff End Sub If you are going to make changes to the sheet using this event is is usually a good idea to turn off events at the start and then turn them back on at the end. Otherwise the changes trigger this macro again....

CLick on Box to enter time of day
I have a worksheet where payment is entered in column C. I would like to use Column B as a time stamp. In other words as soon as data is entered in C5 then the exact time comes up in B5. When data is entered in C6 then the exact time cones up in C5. I do not want this time to change even when the page is saved and opened later on. Elfego You can enter a static time in a cell by hitting CTRL + SHIFT + ;(semi-colon) You could also use event code to enter a static date when you enter something in a cell. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) 'when entering data in ...

Time entered (and handled as data) in simple minutes and seconds.
Using Excel 2003. How can I get Excel to display and handle entries for duration in minutes and seconds only (without having to enter a 4'30" entry as 0:04:30)? I have gotten as far as getting it to display as "04:30.0", but all I need is single digit minutes (data on this spreadsheet will never go over 9:59) and double digit seconds (and to be able to enter them simply as in "4:30"). I couldn't find that as an option in the ones listed for time in the cell format dialogue box. Right now I have to enter 0:04:30 in order to get it to work right. Is t...

User Template crashes Outlook2007
When I select a distribution template from "User Templates in File System" Outlook crashes, sends error amessage, and reloads Outlook. Can't weem to find the problem. ...

Transcation cannot be entered
When I try to entery a bill transcation I receive the following Message. "this transcation cannot be entered" What is the fixed on this? thanks See http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q104 "groupvi@aol.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:063701c3d956$2ef6b1c0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > When I try to entery a bill transcation I receive the > following Message. "this transcation cannot be entered" > What is the fixed on this? ...

Adding User Name to footer
I have spreadsheets that go out to a number of users, and they make various changes and print out for themselves. The problems is that no-one knows which version to pick up from a central printer. Can I add the user name to the footer. I also have the path and file in the same area. I would like to end up with : User Name printed 'path/file' on 'date' ...

RMS User Question/Problem
Hello, I Downloaded and installed Microsoft Dynamics RMS, but when I first run it (for the first time) it asks me user ID and password, but have not yet established one, and is the first time I run the program! (Or is it comes with some standard user / default?) User ID: 1 Password: password Robert Armstrong RMS Systems Inc. "F.Misle" <F.Misle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B29A28E5-315C-4A1A-9490-A497651736A0@microsoft.com... > Hello, > I Downloaded and installed Microsoft Dynamics RMS, but when I first run it > (for the first...

user name and password not being retained in WindowsMail
I have Vista 32bit sp2, IE8 and WindowsMail. I had this problem on my XP/Outlook Express machine and found an answer, but can't find one for WindowsMail. Please note that I have had this set-up for several months and never incurred this problem. Even earlier today everything was working fine. It looks as if I can send messages, but when I click on send/receive button to receive messages I get a screen asking for my username and password. I have it set to remember in 'tools' 'accounts', but it isn't remembering it. Does anyone have a suggestion on how...

Transferring users from 1.2 to 3.0 upgrade
I am trying to upgrade a 25-user 1.2 installation to a 10-user 3.0 setup. Only 7 of the 25 licenses are being used. When I run the setup, I receive the following message: There are not enough Microsoft CRM 3.0 licenses to include all the users from Microsoft CRM 1.2 in the upgrade. Please add enough licenses to cover all the active users or deactivate some users to match the number of licenses. As I said there are only seven active users, so there shouldn't be a problem. Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this problem? Thanks. Berk; I've never seen the error, but p...

lookup value based on multiple criteria
Banging my head on this one... can anyone help?? I've got several thousand rows of data in three columns, structured similar to example below. Each set of ID numbers represents a separate contact entry (person) in an address book. FIELDNAME could include one or more of about 200 fields, and VALUE may be blank. ID FIELDNAME VALUE 1 FirstName Bob 1 LastName Smith 1 Company Tech Smith, Inc. 2 LastName Johnson 2 Company <blank> 2 FirstName Jim I've got a second sheet set up with all of the 200 possible FIEL...

e2k3 sp2: Unknown user name or bad password error
We have an exchange cluster with two nodes that runs exchange 2003 SP2 on windows 2003 Sp1 ent. For security reasons recently I had to change the password for the account under which I installed exchange - the account is exchservice. Since then I get few of the following messages in the security log on the server - any idea how can I stop this? Event Type: Failure Audit Event Source: Security Event Category: Logon/Logoff Event ID: 529 Date: 09/10/2006 Time: 10:30:00 User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: EMILYA Description: Logon Failure: Reason: Unknown user name or bad password Us...

Excel: Allow to turn on / off automatic header selection in sorts
Is there a way to turn off automatic selection of header rows in Excel when sorting data? I routinely sort a section of data by the first three columns, and a majority of times Excel wants to make the first row selected a header row. Extremely annoying. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "...

Formulas in a criteria area
Can a formula be used in a criteria area when extracting data from a table in Excel 2007? ...

counting dates <= 7 days ago based on criteria in a diff column
I have a spreadsheet that holds all tasks for a project. Column D holds a catagory and column Q holds the date closed. I need a formula (on a separate sheet) that counts all tasks of a specific category that were closed in the past 7 days. I already have a formula that calculates all tasks that were closed in the past 7 days, just need to add the additional criterion of the category. Hi, Try this =sumproduct((sheet1!D2:D30=A2)*((today()-sheet1!Q2:Q30)=7)) A2 on sheet2 has the specific category for which you want to count the closed tasks -- Regards, Ashish Mathur...

Delivery failures to my users
This might be too broad of a question, but one of my users occasionaly will not get emails from the outside world. I've checked the Event Viewer, modified the Diagnostic Logging Levels, but can't find a reason why she's not getting some emails. Below is what her sender got back when attempting to email her. I obviously changed some information to protect the innocent! Our enviornment is: 1 Exchange 2003 Enterprise Front End Server 1 Exchange 2003 Enterprise Back End Server (ispriv and ispub on here) 1 Exchange 5.5 Enterprise We are in the middle of moving mailboxes frmo 5.5 to 2...

Module for searching multiple .doc files on multiple terms?
Hello All, Info on system setup: So I have an Access 2003 DB that is being used for career opportunities. This database sits behind my website where people can go to submit applications and upload their resumes in word.doc format. Every time a resume is upload it is place on a network drive that has a folder named "Resumes". This folder contains about 8500 files. My question... Is there any sort of method that can be used to do a search on all of these word.doc's using multiple criteria? I know that you can do a simple search using Windows that would be "on...

add public folder calendar to multiple user accounts favorite calendar list. 06-22-10
hey all, i need to add a public folder calendar to multiple user accounts "favorites" calendar list (shows as other calendars) in outlook 2007. i know, from outlook, you can right click and add to favorite to add it to an individual user's "other calendars" but i need to do this for a group of people. is there any way in exchange, gpo, or something to do this automatically based on group membership, etc.? thanks in advance. shrpshtr ...

Search freezes
Windows XP SP3 When I make a search from Start > Search it list a number of files but does not close and freezes. I have to shut it donw in the Task Manager. If I right click the drive ans Search I get a higher number of files and all OK. ...