how field name output same as input

Thanks for any help.
I have a query from a couple tables, and one of the field names in the table
is 'IGP' and I have a field in the query that was
IGP
and now I changed to
IGP: iif(blah IGP blah)
which gives me a circular error.
The table is used by a bunch of other things, so I don't want to change the
field name there, and the field name for the output is used by a bunch of
things, so nor do I want to change the name there. I am using Access 2007. I
thought about changing the output field to IGP_, and I could change the
embedded queries in Excel that use it, but is there a way to still use the
same name, and have a formula in it, and that uses a field in another table
named the same?
thanks

You could use a follow-on query where the output field to IGP_ is changed back.
--
Build a little, test a little.

"Ian Elliott" wrote:

> Thanks for any help.
> I have a query from a couple tables, and one of the field names in the table
> is 'IGP' and I have a field in the query that was
> IGP
> and now I changed to
> IGP: iif(blah IGP blah)
> which gives me a circular error.
> The table is used by a bunch of other things, so I don't want to change the
> field name there, and the field name for the output is used by a bunch of
> things, so nor do I want to change the name there. I am using Access 2007. I
> thought about changing the output field to IGP_, and I could change the
> embedded queries in Excel that use it, but is there a way to still use the
> same name, and have a formula in it, and that uses a field in another table
> named the same?
> thanks

SOMETIMES you can avoid the circular reference problem if you fully qualify
the field in the expression with the table name and field name.

IGP: IIF([MyTableName].[IGP] = 22, ...,...)

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

Ian Elliott wrote:
> Thanks for any help.
> I have a query from a couple tables, and one of the field names in the table
> is 'IGP' and I have a field in the query that was
> IGP
> and now I changed to
> IGP: iif(blah IGP blah)
> which gives me a circular error.
> The table is used by a bunch of other things, so I don't want to change the
> field name there, and the field name for the output is used by a bunch of
> things, so nor do I want to change the name there. I am using Access 2007. I
> thought about changing the output field to IGP_, and I could change the
> embedded queries in Excel that use it, but is there a way to still use the
> same name, and have a formula in it, and that uses a field in another table
> named the same?
> thanks

0
John