Help with computing date\Time between previous record

I am trying to calculate how long it has been from a previous visit.  I am
tracking visit dates for customers. So I am sorting visit dates by customer.
I want to look at a record date and subtract the previous reocrds date from
it for all dates in the db.

So in the end there is another Field that shows how long it has been bewteen
customer visits?

Dave K

Use in your query: Datediff("d",[firstdatefield],[seconddatefield])
The "D" is for days.
--
Milton Purdy
ACCESS

"Dave" wrote:

> I am trying to calculate how long it has been from a previous visit.  I am
> tracking visit dates for customers. So I am sorting visit dates by customer.
> I want to look at a record date and subtract the previous reocrds date from
> it for all dates in the db.
>
> So in the end there is another Field that shows how long it has been bewteen
> customer visits?
>
> Dave K
Bring the table TWICE, one will get an _1 appended to its name.

Change the query type to a Total query.

Join the two references through their clientID field.

Bring all the required fields from the first reference in the grid. Keep
GROUP BY under clientID and under the dateTimeStamp field, use LAST, or
FIRST, for any other (optionally required) field.

Bring only the dateTimeStamp field for the second table reference in the
grid, the _1 one, and change the GROUP BY to WHERE, and, under it, add the
criteria:

    < [tableName].[dateTimeStampFieldName]

(tableName without the _1 in the criteria)

So, now, you made _1 the whole history (in relation of the not_1 reference).

Make a computed expression in a new grid's column:

    [tableName].[dateTimeStamp] - MAX( [tableName_1].[dateTimeStamp]

That should do the job, since MAX recuperate only the maximum value of the
'said' history.

If you prefer to do it in SQL view:

SELECT  a.clientID,
        a.dateTimeStamp,
        LAST(a.someOtherField),
        a.dateTimeStamp)-MAX(b.dateTimeStamp)

FROM tableName As a INNER JOIN tableName AS b
    ON a.clientID = b.clientID

WHERE b.dateTimeStamp < a.dateTimeStamp

GROUP BY a.clientID, a.dateTimeStamp

Sure, that does not show records having no previous record (for that
client). Modify the SQL statement like below, to get those:

SELECT  a.clientID,
        a.dateTimeStamp,
        LAST(a.someOtherField),
        a.dateTimeStamp)-MAX(b.dateTimeStamp)

FROM tableName As a LEFT JOIN tableName AS b
    ON a.clientID = b.clientID
        AND  b.dateTimeStamp < a.dateTimeStamp

GROUP BY a.clientID, a.dateTimeStamp

where the INNER JOIN has become a LEFT JOIN, and the where clause included
in the join. The expression a.dateTimeStamp)-MAX(b.dateTimeStamp) will
return null for records without previous one.

Vanderghast, Access MVP

>I am trying to calculate how long it has been from a previous visit.  I am
> tracking visit dates for customers. So I am sorting visit dates by
> customer.
> I want to look at a record date and subtract the previous reocrds date
> from
> it for all dates in the db.
>
> So in the end there is another Field that shows how long it has been
> bewteen
> customer visits?
>
> Dave K

0
vanderghast
2/18/2010 4:32:25 PM
Thanks I will give this a try

Dave

"vanderghast" wrote:

> Bring the table TWICE, one will get an _1 appended to its name.
>
> Change the query type to a Total query.
>
> Join the two references through their clientID field.
>
> Bring all the required fields from the first reference in the grid. Keep
> GROUP BY under clientID and under the dateTimeStamp field, use LAST, or
> FIRST, for any other (optionally required) field.
>
> Bring only the dateTimeStamp field for the second table reference in the
> grid, the _1 one, and change the GROUP BY to WHERE, and, under it, add the
> criteria:
>
>     < [tableName].[dateTimeStampFieldName]
>

> (tableName without the _1 in the criteria)
>
> So, now, you made _1 the whole history (in relation of the not_1 reference).
>

> Make a computed expression in a new grid's column:
>
>     [tableName].[dateTimeStamp] - MAX( [tableName_1].[dateTimeStamp]
>

> That should do the job, since MAX recuperate only the maximum value of the
> 'said' history.
>

> If you prefer to do it in SQL view:
>
> SELECT  a.clientID,
>         a.dateTimeStamp,
>         LAST(a.someOtherField),
>         a.dateTimeStamp)-MAX(b.dateTimeStamp)
>
> FROM tableName As a INNER JOIN tableName AS b
>     ON a.clientID = b.clientID
>
> WHERE b.dateTimeStamp < a.dateTimeStamp
>
> GROUP BY a.clientID, a.dateTimeStamp
>

> Sure, that does not show records having no previous record (for that
> client). Modify the SQL statement like below, to get those:
>
> SELECT  a.clientID,
>         a.dateTimeStamp,
>         LAST(a.someOtherField),
>         a.dateTimeStamp)-MAX(b.dateTimeStamp)
>
> FROM tableName As a LEFT JOIN tableName AS b
>     ON a.clientID = b.clientID
>         AND  b.dateTimeStamp < a.dateTimeStamp
>
> GROUP BY a.clientID, a.dateTimeStamp
>

> where the INNER JOIN has become a LEFT JOIN, and the where clause included
> in the join. The expression a.dateTimeStamp)-MAX(b.dateTimeStamp) will
> return null for records without previous one.
>

> Vanderghast, Access MVP
>

> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to calculate how long it has been from a previous visit.  I am
> > tracking visit dates for customers. So I am sorting visit dates by
> > customer.
> > I want to look at a record date and subtract the previous reocrds date
> > from
> > it for all dates in the db.
> >
> > So in the end there is another Field that shows how long it has been
> > bewteen
> > customer visits?
> >
> > Dave K

I have the SQL query you sent working, now how do i adjust the end result?

I want to compare the LED of the current record to the TCD of the next record.

How do I do that?

My present SQL:

SELECT a.[Item Number], a.[Serial Number], a.LSD, a.LED, Last(a.TCD) AS
LastOfTCD, [a].[LED]-Max([b].[LED]) AS Days INTO FTFDays

FROM AOCTCA AS a
INNER JOIN AOCTCA AS b ON (a.[Serial Number] = b.[Serial Number]) AND
(a.[Item Number] = b.[Item Number])

WHERE (((b.LED)<[a].[LED]))

GROUP BY a.[Item Number], a.[Serial Number], a.LSD, a.LED;

"vanderghast" wrote:

> Bring the table TWICE, one will get an _1 appended to its name.
>
> Change the query type to a Total query.
>
> Join the two references through their clientID field.
>
> Bring all the required fields from the first reference in the grid. Keep
> GROUP BY under clientID and under the dateTimeStamp field, use LAST, or
> FIRST, for any other (optionally required) field.
>
> Bring only the dateTimeStamp field for the second table reference in the
> grid, the _1 one, and change the GROUP BY to WHERE, and, under it, add the
> criteria:
>
>     < [tableName].[dateTimeStampFieldName]
>

> (tableName without the _1 in the criteria)
>
> So, now, you made _1 the whole history (in relation of the not_1 reference).
>

> Make a computed expression in a new grid's column:
>
>     [tableName].[dateTimeStamp] - MAX( [tableName_1].[dateTimeStamp]
>

> That should do the job, since MAX recuperate only the maximum value of the
> 'said' history.
>

> If you prefer to do it in SQL view:
>
> SELECT  a.clientID,
>         a.dateTimeStamp,
>         LAST(a.someOtherField),
>         a.dateTimeStamp)-MAX(b.dateTimeStamp)
>
> FROM tableName As a INNER JOIN tableName AS b
>     ON a.clientID = b.clientID
>
> WHERE b.dateTimeStamp < a.dateTimeStamp
>
> GROUP BY a.clientID, a.dateTimeStamp
>

> Sure, that does not show records having no previous record (for that
> client). Modify the SQL statement like below, to get those:
>
> SELECT  a.clientID,
>         a.dateTimeStamp,
>         LAST(a.someOtherField),
>         a.dateTimeStamp)-MAX(b.dateTimeStamp)
>
> FROM tableName As a LEFT JOIN tableName AS b
>     ON a.clientID = b.clientID
>         AND  b.dateTimeStamp < a.dateTimeStamp
>
> GROUP BY a.clientID, a.dateTimeStamp
>

> where the INNER JOIN has become a LEFT JOIN, and the where clause included
> in the join. The expression a.dateTimeStamp)-MAX(b.dateTimeStamp) will
> return null for records without previous one.
>

> Vanderghast, Access MVP
>

> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to calculate how long it has been from a previous visit.  I am
> > tracking visit dates for customers. So I am sorting visit dates by
> > customer.
> > I want to look at a record date and subtract the previous reocrds date
> > from
> > it for all dates in the db.
> >
> > So in the end there is another Field that shows how long it has been
> > bewteen
> > customer visits?
> >
> > Dave K

Maybe using a subquery is the easiest way, at this point (another
possibility would be to rank of LED values, per item number, thus rank-1 and
rank+1 would point to the previous and next record (in terms of 'date') ),
.... It is untested though ...

SELECT ..., ( SELECT  c.tcd  FROM aoctca AS c
                    WHERE c.[item number] = a.[item number]
                        AND  c.[serial number]= a.[serial number]
                        AND c.led = (SELECT MIN(d.led) FROM aoctca  AS d
                                WHERE d.[item number] = a.[item number]
                                    AND  d.[serial number]= a.[serial
number]
                                    AND  d.led > a.led ))

FROM ...

The inner most subquery returns the earliest date >  a.led  while the
subquery itself spot that record and return its tcd value.

May be quite slow, though.

Vanderghast, Access MVP

> [...]
>>     ON a.clientID = b.clientID
>>         AND  b.dateTimeStamp < a.dateTimeStamp
>>
>> GROUP BY a.clientID, a.dateTimeStamp
>>

>> where the INNER JOIN has become a LEFT JOIN, and the where clause
>> included
>> in the join. The expression a.dateTimeStamp)-MAX(b.dateTimeStamp) will
>> return null for records without previous one.
>>

>> Vanderghast, Access MVP
>>

>> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am trying to calculate how long it has been from a previous visit.  I
>> >am
>> > tracking visit dates for customers. So I am sorting visit dates by
>> > customer.
>> > I want to look at a record date and subtract the previous reocrds date
>> > from
>> > it for all dates in the db.
>> >
>> > So in the end there is another Field that shows how long it has been

0
vanderghast

Duplicate messages ++++ HELP....
I am using Outlook 2002. Setup with one email account only as on offline user to 5.5 Exchange. When I do the send/receive via dial up I pull down whatever messages are on the Server down to the .PST file. Yet when I dial in again I get the same messages over and over. Again I only have one email account setup on the laptop. And it is setup to work offline with a .PST file. Everything I have read and found pertaining to this is if you have multiple acounts setup under the send/receive. This is not the case here. Getting tired of Microsofts constant change and lack of documentation of ...

function pointer help!
I have a callback function void __stdcall CallBackFunc(int, int,double); And I need to have a pointer to it. void (*CallBack)(int,int,double); but the assignment doesn't work... CallBack = CallBackFunc; What am I doing wrong? Thanks as usual! Ron H. ----------------- www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com - *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road ----------------- Try this instead void (_stdcall *CallBack)(int,int,double); AliR. "Ron H." <rnh@mmm.com> wrote in message news:4739f338$0$7517$8d2e0cab@news.newsgroup-binaries.co...

count between dates help (NETWORKDAYS)
Hello big brains I am trying to find the days and hours between 2 dates 2 columns of dates formated in M/D/YYYY hh:mm 4/23/2004 15:53 and 4/27/2004 10:43 I don't want to count weekends so I used NETWORKDAYS which works to a degree.. giving me 3 (which is days) but it's ignoring the time. I need it to be specific and have it show days and hours difference. I am suprised that it is ignoring it. Unfortunately I am kind of stuck with the dat being in this format. Any help would be appreciated. thanks Maybe this can give you some ideas http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeWS.ht...

GETPIVOTDATA and Date-type field (Excel 2007)
Data Sample *************** Trip 0346210980 Statement Date 3/24/2010 Description STARBUCKS Date 03/08/2010 LocCurrAmt 3.47 Formula: =GETPIVOTDATA("LocCurrAmt",A6,"Statement Date",DATE(2010,3,24)) Problem: I keep getting a #REF error. When I evaluate the error it's always with the DATE function. Steps I've taken: 1. Confirmed that my date is a number and not text. 2. Tried using the date serial number (40261) instead of the DATE function. 3. Confirmed the GETPIVOTDATA works...

Function help needed urgently!!! #2
Hi anyone who can help... I have two sets of figures 1 is sales and 1 is target. Eg: Sales Target Incentive 5 5 In the Incentive column I want a formula that will calculate the Incentive payment for employees who exceed there target. The easy part is the if statement for example 10% of their sales if they exceed target: =if(sales>target,Sales*10%,0) The complicated part comes in to play when only when they hit multiples of 10 are they entitled to an incentive: If the Sales are 5 and the Target is 5 - no incentive. If the Sales are 10 and the Target is 5 - no incenti...

CDC Help!
One of the common shapes that seems to be missing from the CDC members is the arrow. Is there a good way to do arrows? I need to create arrows around the circumference of a circle pointing toward the center of the circle. Any hints on how this is best done? Ron H. ----------------- www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com - *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road ----------------- I'm not sure if CDC has any line caps. In the past I used GDI+ to draw arrows and different kind of line caps. IMHO, the default line caps don't scale very well, so ...

Exchange 2003 System Manager Server Modified Date Meaning
Hi, I am looking for some info on the Exchange 2003 system manager server property page. It shows in the right hand colum all the servers and service packs and the furthest right says "modified date" Could some one please eleborate on what this actually means? Thanks On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 06:20:28 -0800, Darrel <Darrel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I am looking for some info on the Exchange 2003 system manager server >property page. It shows in the right hand colum all the servers and service >packs and the furthest right says "modified d...

Installing MS Office on two computers
I just purchased two new computers and the Office Small Business software upgrade. Am I allowed to install this software on both of my computers? This is not the place to get a definitive answer. In general, however, the answer would be no. You are only allowed to install Office on 2 machines if 1 is a workstation and the other a laptop, and they are not used at the same time. Your question may be better answered in a newsgroup appropriate to your problem. This newsgroup is dedicated to the Microsoft Access database product. The Microsoft website may have misdirected you. -- A...

two users on one computer
I have Windows 7 and use Outlook 2003. I really want to separate my husbands emails from mine, so I created a new email account for him. How can I have his emails sent to a different location within Outlook? You need to create his personal username in Windows 7 so that he can manage his own emails and documents; and you can manage your own emails and documents. If you don't know how to create his own username then I suggest post your query here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/threads hth "karen" <karen@discussions.micro...

Combobox Help needed
Hello, I have been trying to populate a Combobox with a filter set to what is being typed in the combo's edit control. If I type in "C" it selects the first 40 "C" then I would like to type in "u" clear the listbox portion and put in the first 40 "Cu" etc.. I would need to clear only the combo's edit box but unfortunately ResetContent()also clears the edit box. It gets the first 40 "C" but then the edit box is cleared. I have also tried using DeleteString. void CCustView::OnEditupdateCombo1() { UpdateData(); if (i>0) { m_CbCust....

excel charts look drastically different on different computers
When we open excel charts on different computers in our office the formatting looks drastically different (for example, data labels and arrows on charts are in different locations). This is a huge problem because it means that the formatting has to be fixed each time someone opens an excel chart. This was never a problem until recently when some of our staff got new computers and for a short time they were using Office 2007 (everyone else in the office was using Office 2003). We've switched everyone back to Office 2003, but the problem with excel charts persists. When u ad...

need some SQL Update Help
I have a Access 2000 db and I have these 2 tables. ArchInvoices --------------- InvoiceID - Primary Key - Autonumber InvoiceNumber - long SaleType - char(1) TransactionDate - DateTime Discount - Integer WholesaleFlag - Boolean PaymentMethod - Char(6) CustPONumber - Char(30) ShortName - Char(30) MdCountCode - char(2) TaxFreeID - char(30) Paid - Boolean FestInvoiceNumber - long The second Table is: ArchLineItems --------------- TransactionType - char(1) Units - integer UnitCost - Double BottleSize - Double LineItemId - PrimaryKey - Autonumber InvoiceNumber - Long - Foreign Key Field from Arc...

time calculation 08-14-07
Any Help Please. . . I am new in access, and im doing some calculations from my query design. I need to calculate two fields in a query. It is like cascading calculation that the new field is the result and that result will be added to 2nd and to 3rd row and so on. The calculation is on hh:mm in 24 hr format. please see example: OnChk OffChk On/OffDifference Total Hour 8:59 13:45 4:46 1110:57 => This is carry over figure 8:50 12:57 4:07 1115:04 7:48 9:49 2:01 1117:05 1. I got the On/OffDifference by us...

Limit record count in query
Hello all, I have a query that will return over 65K records (rows). My end goal is to export this to Excel via code. Excel has a limit of 65K rows on a single tab. So, 65K to tab1, the rest of the records to tab2. I figured I would have query1 that would limit the results to 65K, and query2 that would start at 65K +1 to the end. How can I limit query1 to 65K and query2 to start at 65K +1? I'm not sure how efficient this will be but you could try: SELECT TOP 65000 * FROM [query that will return over 65K records] ORDER BY PrimaryKeyField; and SELECT * FROM [query that will retu...

VLOOKUP help again please.
I have also finished my workbook. Now I am stumped on another vlookup function. Since some people dont like to download the file I will explain it in words and attach some screenshots. I need to use VLOOKUP and the discount table on the sheet 3 to calculate the relevant discount rate for the discount rate column in sheet 4. I have attempted it as you see in the screenshot, but it returns #NA. I am not sure if this is because my function is wrong or the discount table is set up wrong (I have entered the values such as "21 to 50", and im not sure if excel recognises this means from 2...

A simple question..help!!!
Ok, i'm trying to e-mail with Outlook....now can someone please tell me what the heck happened to the SEND button???? I have searched and searched for it. Where is it?? Please anyone help me out here. Thanks. Amy Hi Amy, which Outlook are you using? 2000?2003?XP? Did you create first of all an email account? Without email account outlook won't show a send button, I think. Or perhabs it is hidden on the toolbar? Greetings Steffi "fireeyesamy" <fireeyesamy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:09522C66-14EA-4EB1-B3EB-151209810942@microsoft.com... > O...

USING DATES IN FORMULAS #2
I foubd a problem with excel 2003 If you introduce a formula using dates (in spanish version) (dd/mm/yy), excel doesnt makes the calculation........... ???? Can somebody hep me In the USA version (English), I could use: =if(a1=date(2005,10,27),"It's Oct 27, 2005","it's not") to refer to a date. I don't know what the Spanish function is for =date(), though. Carlos Benavides wrote: > > I foubd a problem with excel 2003 > If you introduce a formula using dates (in spanish version) (dd/mm/yy), > excel doesnt makes the calculation........... ????...

Excel Crash
Multiple users here have this same problem that whenever they open a particular Excel file, it gives them a "Send Report Error." Weird thing about it is it doesnt happen in all their Excel files, only happens to some of them. Also tried opening the very same file/s they are having problems with on my machine and it worked fine. I have patched Office (SP2), updated Acrobat Reader, updated signatures, uninstalled/reinstalled Office, and done all the possible troubleshooting on these machines but still error occurs. Any help appreciated, thanks! Isolate the problem as best yo...

Help required on working with date
Hi I have dates in a column in dd-mmm-yy format, like 29-Mar-04 15-Apr-04 13-May-04 I want to put in the column adjecent to this date column the date starting with 1st day of each month like - 01-Mar-04 01-Apr-04 01-May-04 How can this be done by use of formula? I tried but do not get any clue to go futher. -Shanks Hi try =DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1),1) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Shanks wrote: > Hi > > I have dates in a column in dd-mmm-yy format, like > > 29-Mar-04 > 15-Apr-04 > 13-May-04 > > I want to put in the column adjecent to this da...

PLEASE HELP!!!!! MAcro Emergency
maybe now someone will help me?? noone has responded to my last 2 post so I am trying to figure it out myself, am trying to build a macro an need to select RELATIVE REFERENCE before I record it, that "sto recording" toolbar was there the first time i tried to record the macr with the button to select relative reference but now every time i try t record the macro that toolbar isnt there anymore and the macro wont wor unless i can first select relative reference, please help before i tak the sledge to this computer PLEASE!! -- RalphS -------------------------------------------------...

Unapply previously applied transactions in Payables Management
We are looking for a way to unapply previously applied transactions in Payables Management. We see that the Professional Services Tool Library (PSTL) module from MBS has an unapply functionality for RM, but apparently not for PM. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the mes...

Two users sharing a computer but not inbox
Hi guys, is it possible, in Outlook 02, for two users to share a computer but be able to send/receive emails from different accounts? Eg: in our restaurant we have one computer. Currently that computer is receiving mail for dine@restaurant but now we want the chef to have his own address, chef@restaurant. However, we want dine@ and chef@ to go to separate inboxes so the manager and chef don't have to sift through unnecessary messages to read their own mail. I have tried setting up the new email address and telling it to put messages in a new data file called chef.pst but this hasn't...

Microsoft Office Freezes Computer After Macintosh Automatic Update
Hello everyone, I am having the following problem. I have Microsoft Office 2004 installed on my iMac G5 and it was working fine until I installed two automatic updates for Macintosh. They were: QuickTime Version 7.0.1 (downloaded and installed on June 14th) Security Update 2005-006 Version 1.0 (downloaded and installed on June 14th) Now when I try to open any Microsoft application (Entourage, Word, Excel) the system shows up the first introduction screen for the software and freezes. No key works! I have to hard-boot it and restart my computer. Please let me know what can be wrong or how ...

Increase a date by 1 month
Hello, I have a date in in one cell, eg 22/04/08 and I want the next cells to be one month higher, ie 22/05/08 , 22/06/08 etc etc. The number of days in a month varies so I cant just add 30. Can anyone help & advise please Thanks KK =DATE(YEAR(I1),MONTH(I1)+1,DAY(I1)) -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "KRK" <trebor@yeleek.nospam.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:u98STsetJHA.5652@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > I have a date in in one cell, eg 22/04/08 and I want the next cells to be > one mon...

First Time Opening Outlook
I just installed Outlook and when I try to open it, I get a popup message titled "Connecting to Microsoft Exhange Server". The message is, "Your Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable." and a second popup says, "Configuring Outlook Accounts". The configuation process never does complete. I can even open outlook. Help! Thanks Ross Ross <Ross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just installed Outlook and when I try to open it, I get a popup > message titled "Connecting to Microsoft Exhange Server". The message > is, "You...