Getting the max date after filtering out the deleted ones

Hello

i have a little problem. my tblServiceReports has 3 fields that i need to
manipulate.

the fields are ProductID, ServiceReportDate and SRDateDeleted

i also have a ServiceReportID field as the key for the table. each product
in my db can have one to many service reports. what i am trying to do is
create a query that pulls the max date for the service report so that i can
show the last time the product was serviced.

there is a catch, cause i know you think that what i just asked how to do in
the last paragraph was easy. i also need to filter out bad data. what? filter
BAD data, why not just delete it? because i am unsure if it is bad data, and
there are so many relationship affected that i am going to have to spend a
lot of time writing a sql query to remove it all properly from the db.

so, for now i hide the data. the field SRdatedeleted needs to be null in
order for it to be considered good data. so in my max records, anything that
doesnt have a null SRDateDeleted needs to be taken out first.

any clues?

SELECT ProductID, Max(ServiceReportDate) as LastService
FROM tblServiceReports
WHERE SRDateDeleted is Null
GROUP BY ProductId

In the Design view
-- Add your table
-- Add the three fields
-- Select View: Totals from the menu
-- Change Group By to Max under ServiceReportDate
-- Change Group By to WHERE under SRDateDeleted
-- Enter Is Null as criteria under SRDateDeleted

--
John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007

"DawnTreader" <DawnTreader@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> i have a little problem. my tblServiceReports has 3 fields that i need to
> manipulate.
>
> the fields are ProductID, ServiceReportDate and SRDateDeleted
>
> i also have a ServiceReportID field as the key for the table. each product
> in my db can have one to many service reports. what i am trying to do is
> create a query that pulls the max date for the service report so that i
> can
> show the last time the product was serviced.
>
> there is a catch, cause i know you think that what i just asked how to do
> in
> the last paragraph was easy. i also need to filter out bad data. what?
> filter
> BAD data, why not just delete it? because i am unsure if it is bad data,
> and
> there are so many relationship affected that i am going to have to spend a
> lot of time writing a sql query to remove it all properly from the db.
>
> so, for now i hide the data. the field SRdatedeleted needs to be null in
> order for it to be considered good data. so in my max records, anything
> that
> doesnt have a null SRDateDeleted needs to be taken out first.
>
> any clues?

0
John

Wrong message with cascading deletes
A2003: Table Person linked 1 X M to table Activity. The relationship has its Referential Integrity checkbox and the Cascade Delete checkbox both checked. When I delete a person all related Activity records are deleted which is to be expected. According to http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=26115&seqNum=5 I should get the following message in this case: "Relationships that specify cascading deletes are about to cause 1 record(s) in this table and in related tables to be deleted. Are you sure you want to delete these records?" In stead I get: &quo...

junk mail filter doesn't work with rules?
Hello, I receive mail from many pop3 accounts and mailing lists. I use rules to organize the mail within my mailbox. One problem I am having is that the junk mail filter does not screen mail that is affected by the rules. So for instance, I get an email from some alternate account that I have. The mail comes in and gets picked up by the rule and moved to the appropriate folder. When this happens, the junk mail filter never checks the message. Only mail left in the Inbox is screened. Can someone help figure out how to make this work or does anyone have a workaround? I'd hate to ...

Customize Current View: Filter Problem

#Delete Mark in Bound Memo filed

CFile (delete file)

Oldest date for Duplicate Cust. #