Evaluate Yes/No Field Based on User Input

Hi. I have a field that is set to Yes/No. I want to ask the user a question
and based on their response (whether they type yes or no) I want the query to
check the field and return all records marked yes is they type yes and all
other records if they type no.  How can I do this?

Also, could I present them with a simple text box (having yes and no
choices) or maybe a check box so they won't have to type anything? If you
help me with the first part, this question is a bonus.  I'll be happy with
just the first question answered.

Thanks!

A Yes/No field actually stores -1 for yes or 0 for no. A simple parameter
prompt query could use a criteria under the field like:
    [Enter Y for Yes]="Y"
I always feel it is much better to provide controls on forms for all user
interaction. For instance if you had a check box "chkMyCB" on a form
"frmMyForm". Your criteria would be:
   Forms!frmMyForm!chkMyCB

--
Duane Hookom
Microsoft Access MVP

Dana F. Brewer wrote:

>Hi. I have a field that is set to Yes/No. I want to ask the user a question
>and based on their response (whether they type yes or no) I want the query to
>check the field and return all records marked yes is they type yes and all
>other records if they type no.
>
>Also, could I present them with a simple text box (having yes and no
>choices) or maybe a check box so they won't have to type anything? If you
>help me with the first part, this question is a bonus.

You can prompt users for the Yes or No by setting the Yes/No
field's criteria to something like:

	=([Enter Yes or No] = "Yes")

But, to answer the bonus question, you should create a form
with a check box and a command button to run the query (or
whatever you are doing with it).  In this case the query
criteria would look like:
	=Forms!theform.thecheckbox

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

Is there a way to modify the sample you gave me to get the result I need?

Thanks a bunch!!!

"Duane Hookom" wrote:

> A Yes/No field actually stores -1 for yes or 0 for no. A simple parameter
> prompt query could use a criteria under the field like:
>     [Enter Y for Yes]="Y"
> I always feel it is much better to provide controls on forms for all user
> interaction. For instance if you had a check box "chkMyCB" on a form
> "frmMyForm". Your criteria would be:
>    Forms!frmMyForm!chkMyCB
>
> --
> Duane Hookom
> Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Dana F. Brewer" wrote:
>
> > Hi. I have a field that is set to Yes/No. I want to ask the user a question
> > and based on their response (whether they type yes or no) I want the query to
> > check the field and return all records marked yes is they type yes and all
> > other records if they type no.  How can I do this?
> >
> > Also, could I present them with a simple text box (having yes and no
> > choices) or maybe a check box so they won't have to type anything? If you
> > help me with the first part, this question is a bonus.  I'll be happy with
> > just the first question answered.
> >
> > Thanks!
WHERE ([Active]= [Enter Y for Yes]="Y" OR Nz([Enter Y for Yes],"N")<>"Y")

In query design view you would have columns that looked like:
Field: [Active]
Criteria(Line 1): [Enter Y for Yes]="Y"
Criteria(Line 2): <<Leave Blank>>

Field: Expr1: Nz([Enter Y for Yes],"N")
Criteria(Line 1): [<<Leave Blank>>
Criteria(Line 2): <>"Y"

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2009
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

Dana F. Brewer wrote:
> Thanks Duane. However, I need to be able to get only Active = Yes or
> otherwise return ALL records.  In this case if the user types Yes, they do
> get all active = yes and if they type no they get all active = no.  I don't
> want either/or.  I would like to get YES or ALL.
>
> Is there a way to modify the sample you gave me to get the result I need?
>
> Thanks a bunch!!!
>
> "Duane Hookom" wrote:
>
>> A Yes/No field actually stores -1 for yes or 0 for no. A simple parameter
>> prompt query could use a criteria under the field like:
>>     [Enter Y for Yes]="Y"
>> I always feel it is much better to provide controls on forms for all user
>> interaction. For instance if you had a check box "chkMyCB" on a form
>> "frmMyForm". Your criteria would be:
>>    Forms!frmMyForm!chkMyCB
>>
>> --
>> Duane Hookom
>> Microsoft Access MVP
>>

>> "Dana F. Brewer" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi. I have a field that is set to Yes/No. I want to ask the user a question
>>> and based on their response (whether they type yes or no) I want the query to
>>> check the field and return all records marked yes is they type yes and all
>>> other records if they type no.  How can I do this?
>>>
>>> Also, could I present them with a simple text box (having yes and no
>>> choices) or maybe a check box so they won't have to type anything? If you
>>> help me with the first part, this question is a bonus.  I'll be happy with
>>> just the first question answered.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
0
John
11/23/2009 1:26:39 PM
Hi John. Thanks for your help.  As soon as I saw your suggested I knew I was
headed in the write direction.  In fact, I used exactly what you suggested
here (cut and paste) except that I put the actual field name in place of
[active]. Field name is tblterritory.[active?].  However, I got an error:

"This expression is typed incorrectly, or is too complex to be evaluated."

Don't mean to whine but can you help me find the problem?

"John Spencer" wrote:

> WHERE ([Active]= [Enter Y for Yes]="Y" OR Nz([Enter Y for Yes],"N")<>"Y")
>
> In query design view you would have columns that looked like:
> Field: [Active]
> Criteria(Line 1): [Enter Y for Yes]="Y"
> Criteria(Line 2): <<Leave Blank>>
>

> Field: Expr1: Nz([Enter Y for Yes],"N")
> Criteria(Line 1): [<<Leave Blank>>
> Criteria(Line 2): <>"Y"
>

> John Spencer
> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2009
> The Hilltop Institute
> University of Maryland Baltimore County
>
> Dana F. Brewer wrote:
> > Thanks Duane. However, I need to be able to get only Active = Yes or
> > otherwise return ALL records.  In this case if the user types Yes, they do
> > get all active = yes and if they type no they get all active = no.  I don't
> > want either/or.  I would like to get YES or ALL.
> >
> > Is there a way to modify the sample you gave me to get the result I need?
> >
> > Thanks a bunch!!!
> >
> > "Duane Hookom" wrote:
> >
> >> A Yes/No field actually stores -1 for yes or 0 for no. A simple parameter
> >> prompt query could use a criteria under the field like:
> >>     [Enter Y for Yes]="Y"
> >> I always feel it is much better to provide controls on forms for all user
> >> interaction. For instance if you had a check box "chkMyCB" on a form
> >> "frmMyForm". Your criteria would be:
> >>    Forms!frmMyForm!chkMyCB
> >>
> >> --
> >> Duane Hookom
> >> Microsoft Access MVP

> .

By the way, when I enter Y or N I get the error.  When I enter nothing or
something other than Y or N I get all records. Thanks again in advance if you
or someone is able to help me straighten this out.

I promise I will take the time to think about using a form in the future but
getting this piece solved now will help me tremendously.

....Dana

"John Spencer" wrote:

> WHERE ([Active]= [Enter Y for Yes]="Y" OR Nz([Enter Y for Yes],"N")<>"Y")
>
> In query design view you would have columns that looked like:
> Field: [Active]
> Criteria(Line 1): [Enter Y for Yes]="Y"
> Criteria(Line 2): <<Leave Blank>>
>

> Field: Expr1: Nz([Enter Y for Yes],"N")
> Criteria(Line 1): [<<Leave Blank>>
> Criteria(Line 2): <>"Y"
>

> John Spencer
> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2009
> The Hilltop Institute
> University of Maryland Baltimore County
>
> Dana F. Brewer wrote:
> > Thanks Duane. However, I need to be able to get only Active = Yes or
> > otherwise return ALL records.  In this case if the user types Yes, they do
> > get all active = yes and if they type no they get all active = no.  I don't
> > want either/or.  I would like to get YES or ALL.
> >
> > Is there a way to modify the sample you gave me to get the result I need?
> >
> > Thanks a bunch!!!
> >
> > "Duane Hookom" wrote:
> >
> >> A Yes/No field actually stores -1 for yes or 0 for no. A simple parameter
> >> prompt query could use a criteria under the field like:
> >>     [Enter Y for Yes]="Y"
> >> I always feel it is much better to provide controls on forms for all user
> >> interaction. For instance if you had a check box "chkMyCB" on a form
> >> "frmMyForm". Your criteria would be:
> >>    Forms!frmMyForm!chkMyCB
> >>
> >> --
> >> Duane Hookom
> >> Microsoft Access MVP

> .

Try

In query design view you would have columns that looked like:
Field: [Active]
Criteria(Line 1): IIF([Enter Y for Yes]="Y",True,False)
Criteria(Line 2): <<Leave Blank>>

Field: Expr1: Nz([Enter Y for Yes],"N")
Criteria(Line 1): <<Leave Blank>>
Criteria(Line 2): <>"Y"

If that does not work then I suggest you post the SQL statement you are using.
  Hint - Menu View: SQL, copy and paste the text.

Dana F. Brewer wrote:
> By the way, when I enter Y or N I get the error.  When I enter nothing or
> something other than Y or N I get all records. Thanks again in advance if you
> or someone is able to help me straighten this out.
>
> I promise I will take the time to think about using a form in the future but
> getting this piece solved now will help me tremendously.
>
> ...Dana
>
> "John Spencer" wrote:
>
>> WHERE ([Active]= [Enter Y for Yes]="Y" OR Nz([Enter Y for Yes],"N")<>"Y")
>>
>> In query design view you would have columns that looked like:
>> Field: [Active]
>> Criteria(Line 1): [Enter Y for Yes]="Y"
>> Criteria(Line 2): <<Leave Blank>>
>>

>> Field: Expr1: Nz([Enter Y for Yes],"N")
>> Criteria(Line 1): [<<Leave Blank>>
>> Criteria(Line 2): <>"Y"
>>

>> John Spencer
>> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2009
>> The Hilltop Institute
>> University of Maryland Baltimore County
>>
>> Dana F. Brewer wrote:
>>> Thanks Duane. However, I need to be able to get only Active = Yes or
>>> otherwise return ALL records.  In this case if the user types Yes, they do
>>> get all active = yes and if they type no they get all active = no.  I don't
>>> want either/or.  I would like to get YES or ALL.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to modify the sample you gave me to get the result I need?
>>>
>>> Thanks a bunch!!!

>> .

0
John

Setting random number range based on query, not table
I have a "quiz" form that randomly pulls up questions from my table. It works fine, and I don't mind that it repeats questions. This allows me to sit and review for as long as I want. The problem is, that I want to use criteria in a query to limit the available questions. If I base this form on a query and limit the number of questions, the code I am using is still setting the maximum number as the number of records in my table. In the past, I had a similar database (which I have lost) that would open the form, set the selector to the last record available to the form,...

Access 2000
Hello all, I have a field named Field213 that holds (CASETYPE) from the database. When I open the form, I want it to look at that field and make field163 visible depending on what it stored in Field213. Right now it only becomes visible if I manually change what is in field213, then field163 becomes visible. I should mention that I have field163 as visible no and display always, the same as field PBISUB, Field382 and Field163. Probably something simple, but I can't seem to see it right now. I have the following: Private Sub Field213_BeforeUpdate(iC As Integer) If Me!CASETYPE = &qu...

How to delete user mailbox
Since I no longer have 5.5 installed (up'd to 2K) I had a friend ask how to delete a user mailbox and cannot for the life of me remember the interface for 5.5 and how to do that. Can someone give me the step by step to delete a mailbox cleanly? Thx select the mailbox in the Exchange Admin program and hit the delete key... "aaa" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1380c01c44417$2d87fd40$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Since I no longer have 5.5 installed (up'd to 2K) I had a > friend ask how to delete a user mailbox and cannot for > the lif...

Manager Assist ...... Field Service Module
Hi to all, I wnat to ask about Manager Assist, that is used to manage the calls on the service call module...... is it a GP module or it is a separate software thank you in advance, ManageAssist is a seperate VB application that connects to the GP Field Service tables. It allows for both viewing of schedule calls as well as updating of certain records (i.e. Unavailable time, sick time, etc.) -- Gary Neumann Field Service Series Designer/Architect "Eng. Tareq Sabri" wrote: > Hi to all, > > I wnat to ask about Manager Assist, that is used to manage the calls on th...

Form Based Auth.
Hi All, I have checked the option to use form based authentication but I don't get the web page login - still the pop up login box. I have restarted IIS. This is all internal at the moment till i get the forms working. Any ideas. Regards Joe. Do you have "require SSL" checked on the Exchange (and Public) virtual directories in IIS? Have you tried going to the https:// site manually? Forms-based auth only works with SSL. If you haven't required SSL and you go to the http page, it will still work just fine and will pop up the login box. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP ...

Edit the Auto Fill in the To: field
On the Send new message window, is there a way to edit the auto fill list for the To: Field. when i start to type in a name in the To Field the auto fill will provide a list of names to choose from. the one i most use is on the bottom of the list. How do i edit the list to get the one i use most to the top? Do you use the others as well? Editing the list will remove them from the list. If you again use the names, they will be added back to the same position. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-...

display the value of an unbound textbox in a field within a table
I created 3 textboxs to calculate the number of business days between 2 dates. The 3rd textbox contains the value. I now want to have this value displayed in a table field. I'm sure this is easy but I'm a complete novice and have spent far too much time on this already. Can anyone help! Fibi, The general concept of tables is that they are for storage of data in the background. They are not for display of data. That is what forms and reports are for. Therefore, the appearance of the data in the tables is not normally relevant, and the display of calculated values is im...

Multi-field search form
Hi there, I am rather new to this place, so I would like to thank you all up front for any and all assistance you may provide. :) It has been a while since I worked with MS Access last. What I am trying to do is create a multi-field search form, where any of the fields can be filled which will display a result set. Preferably if no selection in the fields is made, the entire resultset should be shown - this is not a requirement, though. I seem to be a bit at a loss on how to procede with this task or to find any resources to help me get along. Again, thanks for any and ...

User Name prompts
Hi, I am using Microsoft Outlook 2002 and have a two word username separated by a space. I have been having this problem with Outlook wherein I have entered my username and password in the account setup process, but it still prompts me for it whenever it is checking for new messages. Also, when it prompts, it shows the username without the space. Does Outlook not accept usernames with space, because I tried changing the original settings many times, but every time I open the Edit window of email accounts, I see my user name without space. ...

Automatically display set text based on users composition
Hi, im trying to do something really simple, trouble is i dont know what the feature's called to be able to search for tips on how to do it. Basically in outlook messages, when a user begins writing a sentence e.g. "in the terms of" i need a tag to pop up that allows the user to press enter and then the remainder of what they will want to type in will be inserted in, its a yellow tag that comes up above the words. i dont know where it needs to be created and enabled. Cheers, Rhys. ...

Excel
Excel is the only application that I use in Windows that wipes out the clipboard after I paste. I often need to past the same information multiple times and I wishthere was an option box that allowed me to keep the clipboard after every past ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree&quo...

how field name output same as input
Thanks for any help. I have a query from a couple tables, and one of the field names in the table is 'IGP' and I have a field in the query that was IGP and now I changed to IGP: iif(blah IGP blah) which gives me a circular error. The table is used by a bunch of other things, so I don't want to change the field name there, and the field name for the output is used by a bunch of things, so nor do I want to change the name there. I am using Access 2007. I thought about changing the output field to IGP_, and I could change the embedded queries in Excel that use it, but...

passing non-field value into vba
I need to pass the line item sequence number (lnitmseq) from the sales item detail entry window into vba. This isnt a visible field in the window, so i cannot "add field to vba" using the TOOLS --> customize toolbar window. Anyone have any idea how this can be done? Using the Modifier you can make the field visible, add it to VBA and then remove the modified window or make the field invisible again. While in the Window Layout mode, make sure that the Invisible fields are shown (Layout >> Show Invisible Fields) and then change the Visual Property, Visible = true and mov...

Hide Picklist based on value of other picklist.
On the accounts form i have made a new picklist named Partner. In the picklist Customertype i have made a new entry called partner. When someone opens the form i want the picklist named partner to be hidden. When someone selects Partner in the Customertype picklist i want the picklist partner to be visible. If an other value is selected the fields needs to stay hidden. I know i have to make some code on the onchange of the field customertype and i need to make code on the onload of the page. I have tried multiple codes but i cant get it to work. Can someone please help me out please. Hi,...

Derived Field
I'd like to add a derived field to this situation: Parent Table : Shipments (pk)Shipment_No Shipment_Date Shipment_Size ....other fields... Child Table : Shipment_Inspection Shipment_No (connected field) Number_Out_Tolerance (bad ones in the shipment) ....other fields... I'd like to make a derived field "der_percent_good" that takes the shipment size that the inspection belongs to and does (1 - Number_Out_Tolerance/Shipment_Size)*100 to find the percent of the shipment that is Good. Thanks! ...

Date/Time field calculation
Hello, i am trying to make a sum calculation on a field that keeps duration of time. How can i do this? I get errors or zero as result. Thanks On Jun 21, 10:02 am, Stathis <s_paraske...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hello, > i am trying to make a sum calculation on a field that keeps duration of > time. How can i do this? I get errors or zero as result. > Thanks You need to do the calculation at a level at least 1 level below what you want the answer to be in. Example msgbox DateDiff("h", #6/20/2007 1:00:00 AM#, #6/20/2007 1:30:00 PM#) will give an ans...

Rule not matching "from" field
I want to set up a rule that will match words in the "From" field. Sometimes I get mail like this: From: bill@somedomain.com [mailer@someotherdomain.com] I want to match "bill@somedomain.com". I can't figure out how to match it. I can't pick "from people or distribution list" because it won't let me match arbitrary email addresses. I can't pick "with specific words in the sender's address" it just doesn't work. So far as I can tell, it will only match the part in the brackets. Anon E. Mouse <fake@fake.com> wrote: &...

Dynamically Setting a forms Input Parameter Property
Hi , I'm working with a ADP project, I have a form where I set the recordset property at design time to a SQLServer stored procedure that has one parameter. If I set the Input Parameter property of the form at design time all is well. However I'd like to be a little more flexible in that I have the calling object that Opens the form using Docmd.Openform pass OpenArgs to the form. On the Form_Open event I set the InputParameter property of form using the value in OpenArgs. The problem is I'm still prompted with the parameter popup..if I press Ok everything continue on and ...

Users not showing up??
I'm having trouble adding users and mailboxes in Exchange 2003. My Exchange 2003 box is connected to a Windows 2003 DC. On the Exchange box, whenever I add a user in the Active Directory, it shows up as an account, and all the Exchange tabs are assigned to the user....however under Exchange System Manager no mailbox is created...even though I've run Exchange Tasks in the AD on that same box. Is it because I have to somehow sync the AD on the Exchange box to the DC, or is it something else? Please help!! On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 15:42:02 -0700, "Scott S." <ScottS@discussio...

re-enabled user, now can't access mail container
i have a user who's account was disabled, i enabled the user and i changed the users password. i then logged in as that user and setup her outlook xp for her exchange account thinking i could then access the user's mail. however i get an error message: Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The attempt to log onto the Microsoft Exchange Server computer has failed. (Exchange) Any Ideas? I have to forward messages to my boss. TIA, Mike Hello Mike, Go to control panel and click on mail, that is where you will verify user account for exchange. Lowell "Mike Smith...

Multi User Application
Hi to all, I am new to access develop applications. I created application for multi user idea I want my application can be accessed by multi users. So I want to know how to distribute or let them access from my computer. I have static ip address 172.28.34.115 and created application in shared the folder. Users have access runtime 2007. Access 2007 used to develop 5 users to connect the database application Please guide me how multi users can access my application with all rights. They can do data entry as well as run query/report. -- Pankaj On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 02:53:01...

Hide a field in a report
I am building a report using fields that are in tables. One of the fields in the report is "Do Not Use". I want to build an expression that says if "Do Not Use" is marked "1" in the table, then remove that line from the report. If "Do Not Use" is marked "0", keep that line in the report. Please help! Thanks! In your query use a calculated field like this -- Hide_Field: IIF([Do Not Use] = 1, Null, [Do Not Use]) Then in the report set the textbox Can Grow property to Yes and drag the size of the textbox to a hairline. If the output is...

Non local users
Hi all Our company is going to use Exchange 2003 server as our primary mail server. People can send mails via it and they also can receive mails from exchange. Problem is that also non local users can send mails via our server. It is not nice if somebody is using your server as spam server. Could someone advise me how I can block non local users to send mails via our server? Thanks Topi Look at the following links, HOW TO: Prevent Unsolicited Commercial E-Mail in Exchange 2000 Server http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;319356 HOW TO: Prevent Exchange 2000 from Being...

Multiple Users for office #2
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi, if I have office:2008 installed on my imac and I set up a new user (one of may staff has left and the new person is using the same machine) how do I get office to appear in the list of applications? I am hoping i dont have to reinstall given it is the same licence being used, just by a new person. All help much appreciated CSR > Hi, if I have office:2008 installed on my imac and I set up a new user (one of may staff has left and the new person is using the same machine) how do I get office to appear in the...

re replicate adc user accounts
Hello all, Some time ago during a migration from exchange 5.5 to exchange 2003. Some of our users were deleted after they were replicated over using the ADC, after contacting microsoft they instructed us to gointo exchange 5.5 admin.exe /r in raw mode and modify a attribute, and then replicate adc and your users will replicate over. I cant seem to remember what these attribute changes were could sombody point me in the right direction. The following KB describes the fix for your issue. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;256862 Stephen Shanks "Brian B" &...