Difficultyentereing/editing fields on the Query Grid

This has been ticking me off for about two weeks now.

If I have a formula in the Query grid, and I go to edit it, whether
directly in the query grid or by hitting "build", any changes I make
dissapear when I leave that field.

If it is a new formula in a blank spot on the grid, as soon as I hit
enter or tab to move to the next blank spot, the edits have been dumped
and it is now blank.

Choosing a field from a table in the upper area works fine.

I have to fight with this reentereing my edits several times before it
takes.

Any Ideas?
0
Phil

What version of Access? Do you have the most recenty updates and service
packs installed?

I'd try creating a new database file and importing everything from the
problem database to it. If something won't import, it's corrupt and
corruption might be the problem.
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

"Phil Smith" wrote:

> This has been ticking me off for about two weeks now.
>
> If I have a formula in the Query grid, and I go to edit it, whether
> directly in the query grid or by hitting "build", any changes I make
> dissapear when I leave that field.
>
> If it is a new formula in a blank spot on the grid, as soon as I hit
> enter or tab to move to the next blank spot, the edits have been dumped
> and it is now blank.
>
> Choosing a field from a table in the upper area works fine.
>
> I have to fight with this reentereing my edits several times before it
> takes.
>
> Any Ideas?
> .

2007, should be up to date, and it seems to happen with multiple
databases, including a brand new one I was working on.

Jerry Whittle wrote:
> What version of Access? Do you have the most recenty updates and service
> packs installed?
>
> I'd try creating a new database file and importing everything from the
> problem database to it. If something won't import, it's corrupt and
> corruption might be the problem.
0
Phil
12/4/2009 5:54:26 PM
Hi, Smith

Maybe your mdb file is corrupted.I think you can try a utility called
Advanced Access Repair to repair your Access MDB file. It works rather
well for my corrupt Access MDB files. Its web address is
http://www.datanumen.com/aar/

Alan
0
wangdong
12/10/2009 8:54:50 AM
wangdong <wangdong@datanumen.net> wrote:

>Maybe your mdb file is corrupted.I think you can try a utility called
>Advanced Access Repair to repair your Access MDB file. It works rather
>well for my corrupt Access MDB files. Its web address is
>http://www.datanumen.com/aar/

1) You are an employee of such a company

2) You should be disclosing that fact more openly.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony

Outlook 2007: contacts
Drat! It seems you can't sort on user-defined fields in contacts. I have already mapped a few other fields so there are no more fields that I can use for my purpose that would be feasible. Is there a way around this? "ocean mist" wrote: > Drat! It seems you can't sort on user-defined fields in contacts. I have > already mapped a few other fields so there are no more fields that I can use > for my purpose that would be feasible. > > Is there a way around this? I meant to say "searching", not "sorting" ...

Displaying query from a form
A form was created for the user to select fields to display, filter, and sort. A query is then generated but it remains in the background and the form must be closed to click on it. Is there a way to open the query in the foreground and when the user closes it, control returns to the form? You might want to create an unbound form with a subform control that has a source object of Query:NameOfYourQuery You can open the main form in acDialog mode so that it will appear on top of other forms. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP If I have helped you, please help me by donating to UCP ...

Lookup Value in Regarding field
I have written a script in the phone call onSave that fills in the Sender and Recipient fields base on the value of the Owner and Regarding. My problem is that there are 4 possible option values for Sender/Recipient and 11 values from Regarding. Example: Company, User, Contact, Lead are in all of them. If I choose Opportunity in Regarding, it errors out because the typename does not match any typenames in Sender/Recipient. What is the scriupt necessary to check for this before performing the action? Thanks. -- Client Solutions Manager Micro Strategies ...

Inserting Custom Fields
Hello. I've got a fair amount of experience in Word creating and inserting custom fields into a template. I'd like to be able to do the same in Publisher. I went to File > Properties > Custom and assigned a value to a field that I want to insert in several places in my template. However, I don't see how to insert fields in Publisher the way I insert fields in Word. Thanks for any suggestions. Erik You cannot. -- ...

edit and send same emai to different pariesl
I know how to create a simple message using stationay, but I don't know how to edit (name) and send at a later date, to different party. Cann you help me? Thank you ...

field chooser won't keep
Outlook 2003 Windows XP I choose the fields I want for my various folders (inbox, sent, deleted, etc) But every so often, my selection goes away (for example, my send box insists are saying who the emails are FROM instead of TO, I know that I sent them).. Any suggestions? -- Meg "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" - MLK the views are getting reset or otherwise messing up. Use the method at http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/grouping.htm to reset the views and then customize the views. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teac...

Information retrieval based on non-unique fields across separate tables
I am pretty new with Microsoft Access database trying to retrieve information from a very user-unfriendly database build by some genius who never uses the database himself. Most people have trouble retrieving data and just did manual copy and paste from Access to Excel (imagine the pain not mentioning the amount of potential errors). That should give you some idea how unfriendly it is. However, before I start wasting my time doing manual copy and paste, I would like to see if there is another way out (which I believe there always should be). The situation should not be difficult but I l...

update two fields at once
Hi Access Gurus, In A2003 I want to write an update query which updates about ten fields at once. The idea is that if any one of these fields is null, I update it with a value read from a linked Excel table. For the sake of simplicity, let's say I have only 2 fields, F1 and F2. Either one of them might have a null value. The logic is: IF F1 is null, update it, and IF F2 is null, update it, but if the field already has a value (is non-null), let it alone. Can I do this in one update query, or do I have to write a separate query for each field I am updating? In the quer...

Isolating a PO number in a text field
Hi, I have a text field that has both a PO Number and an invoice number. The people who have been inputing this field start with PO and then a four digit number. Somethings there is a space and other times there is not (PO4560 or PO 4560). Some of our POs also have a - followed by a letter (PO 4560-A). Whether or not the PO is four characters or six, the next part is a / followed by the invoice number (PO 4560-A/Inv 3433). What I want to do is to isolate the four or six digit number and exclude the PO and the / and everything afte the /. So I want to return a query that only has...

SO: HELP: using Sales Rep field in Customer record
I am setting up my SO database with importing using EMS. One snag: I want to use the Sales Representative info / table basically ot duplicate some of the customer field data in order to tag Customer referrals. This was UI can see which customer had referred another customer to us. I need to use all other customer record fields for other info. I can't get EMS to import the ID data from my external database (db) into the Sales Rep Id number field. Can anyone help? ...

View actual "to field"
I receive my e-mail via exchange server. I have several aliases, all configured on the exchange server. Is there any field that could tell me which messages were addressed to which alias. The "To" field seems to convert my alias to my actual account so that all received message seem to be adressed to the same e-mail address, although in actuality they are not, as can be verified by looking at the internet headers where you can see the actual "to" address as entered by the sender. Is this information in any field so that incoming messages could be better sorted ? ...

How to make MRP consider field service demand
On GP 9, how can we have MRP consider field service demand. We enter service calls and have inventory on backorder on these service calls but MRP does not consider it. Any input is welcome on how others have handled this. Thank you. ...

Hotkey for Font color change while editing cell.
Quick background: I use spreadsheets for action logs. From week to week, I record what has changed from my last communication. I usually set the entire cell to normal black unbolded. I add a line which has changed since last communication and then set that new text to bold blue. I want to find a way to use a hotkey to change my selected text to bold blue without having to take my hands off the keyboard. Is this possible? go to tools, macro, and then choose record macro. in the pop up box you can choose a key to use in the box next to "Ctrl+". once chosen, cho...

Unable to edit Excel 2003 file
When i open an excel file, it opens and can be viewed but i cannot edit the file. If the spreadsheet is clicked, it only highlights the cell and continues to highlight until Excel is closed through taskmanager. This computer is running on Win XP and connected through a network phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. -JohnIT -- JohnIT ------------------------------------------------------------------------ JohnIT's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36377 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=561649 ...

how to edit a single cell as a text field
for example, I want to put some text into a cell and don't want to change the cell's width, but want to see the whole text... are there a posibilities to add a scroll into a cell when the thext entered is too long, or maybe to extend that cell? It's like transforming excel into word :-) but I want to get to that excel file from acces db later. soory if I made some mistakes writing that text, I didn't use english for some long time... Hi Set cell to desired width and select Format.Cells.Alignment - check 'Wrap text' Now you can enter text up to 255 characters into cel...

a contact file is stuck in the attachment field when reply/sendin
when replying or sending a new message, an outlook contact file automatically keeps appearing in the attachment field?? You would do better asking Outlook questions in an Outlook forum. This one is for Word. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> "tomtario"...

Query problems
I expected to be able to select 2 tables and add each to a single query create a primary key and the extract data from one table into another. When I try to create a query in Excel, it does not show me my other tables, just one. Does anyone have any ideas about how to solve this? ...

Web queries for a password-protected ASP page
I would like to easily extract data from a web page that I have created using Active Server Pages. The rub here is that the page is password protected and that it must be filtered before it provides the correct results. The commands to do the filtering are NOT in the URL. How can I use a web query to extract this data from my web page. When I try to do it I get the response that I am not logged in which is the typical response if I try to display a page from the URL only w/o logging in. Should I be looking at something besides web queries to simply cut and paste information from my web pa...

Parameter Value in Crosstab Query
I created a Select Query using a Parameter Value defined in my criteria [Enter Group Number]. The records are retrieved when query runs. Now... I take that query and build a Crosstab query using my select query as the criteria. When it runs, I get an error message that [Enter Group Number] is not recognized as a valid field name or expression. Are Parameter Values allowed in Crosstab queries? Any help to steer me in the right direction is appreciated. Recent versions of Access have become very picky with parameters and crosstabs. Have you defined the [Enter Group Number]...

Parameter Query 02-10-10
I have a check box in my query. When I type "Yes" into the criteria row and run the query, I get the results I want. However, when I change it to a parameter query, typing results in an error message of that it is too complex to be evaluated. When I put -1 or 0 though, it works. How can I get the user to input Yes or No and get vthe results wanted? Thanks Have you defined the data type of the parameter? If it's the default of text, it will see "Yes" instead of Yes. There is a difference. You want the paramter defined as a Yes/No data type. What versi...

XML query
Hi I am new to using XML, and have a bit of an issue. How do I define how the XML file looks when I export a query from Access? ...

Crosstab query 01-20-08
The standard access crosstab query uses the PIVOT Format([Date],”mmm”) In(“Jan”,”Feb”,”Mar”,…) to make columns for the (12)months of the year, how would you Format the Date for (52) weeks of the year? The week should start on Sunday - right? -- thank You Gus Chuch schrieb: > The standard access crosstab query uses the PIVOT Format([Date],”mmm”) > In(“Jan”,”Feb”,”Mar”,…) to make columns for the (12)months of the year, how > would you Format the Date for (52) weeks of the year? > The week should start on Sunday - right? Use the DatePart function to get the week, e.g. PIV...

Date query "Excel VBA"
Is there anyway i can use vba code to create a user input box on a sale worksheet that will filter the sales orders and only display the order that equal the date entered into the input box by the end user. I am already using the autofilter feature but would like to take it on step further and make it easier for the admin clerk. Thank-Yo -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You didn't like yesterday's suggestion???? http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=4110273A.B3C20CDD%40msn.com "avilla <" wrote: > > Is there anyway i can use vba code to cr...

Error using Data Query within Excel 2000
I receive the error Invalid bracketing of name 'xls" hi not enough infomation. post example of "invalid Bracketing" also data query code. regards FSt1 "thunter" wrote: > I receive the error Invalid bracketing of name 'xls" ...

Switchboard malfunctions after action queries opened
I've set up a DB in Access 2003 that works fine in all respects. Moving it to Access 2007 shows an odd problem. A sub menu (switchboard) selections that initiate action queries (append, update) suddenly are unable to function properly with the two bottom most menu selections. They are simply dead. One is supposed to simply display a form that shows contact information. The other selection returns to the previous (main) menu (switchboard). Prior to running the queries these work fine. In Access 2003 there are not problems. Are there any reports of a bug of this nature in 2007? --...