Creating Report on two tables that are linked

Hi,
I am a novice access user who is looking at someone else's application.
They have a Post Table and a Comments table.  There is an id field in the
Post table that links to a Post_Id field in the comments table.  When I open
the Post table, there is a blank field on the far left that has a plus or
minus sign.  If I click on the plus sign, it appears to open values from the
Comments based on these two fields.  In the Post table there is a Body field
that has information that people have typed in.  In the Comments table is
also a Body field that has information.  This access database comes from an
offline copy of a web site application. A user on the website creates a Post
which feeds into the Post.Body field.  Someone else will then add a comment
to that post which feeds into the Comments.body field.  What I want to do is
to create an Access report that has both the body sections from both tables
(The post and the comments from each body field).  Can someone tell me how to
do this?

Thanks,
--
Chuck W

You can probably do it with a query: make a new query, bring the two tables
and, if the join between them is not automatically done for you, but it
should, in general, but if it is not, drag the post_id field from one table
to the other.

In the grid, bring the fields you want to get in the report.

Save the query.

Create the report on the query you just saved, rather than on one of the
table.

That should be all what is required.

Hoping it may help,
Vanderghast, Access MVP

"ChuckW" <haji@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I am a novice access user who is looking at someone else's application.
> They have a Post Table and a Comments table.  There is an id field in the
> Post table that links to a Post_Id field in the comments table.  When I
> open
> the Post table, there is a blank field on the far left that has a plus or
> minus sign.  If I click on the plus sign, it appears to open values from
> the
> Comments based on these two fields.  In the Post table there is a Body
> field
> that has information that people have typed in.  In the Comments table is
> also a Body field that has information.  This access database comes from
> an
> offline copy of a web site application. A user on the website creates a
> Post
> which feeds into the Post.Body field.  Someone else will then add a
> comment
> to that post which feeds into the Comments.body field.  What I want to do
> is
> to create an Access report that has both the body sections from both
> tables
> (The post and the comments from each body field).  Can someone tell me how
> do this?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Chuck W

0
Michel

How To Create UI Automation Test Suites for VC++ 7.2 Application
Hi All Envoirement -: VC++ 7.2 OS -: Win 2000,XP As i can Develop UI Automation Test Suite For .NET Application Plz Anyone tell me,Can I Develop this Tool for VC++7.2 Application ? If yes ,How ? plz suggest me for it. Regards Tarandeep Singh tarandeep@abosoftware.com Fundamentally, this is hard. There are some commercial programs out there that do this, but getting a test suite that works well, particularly in all resolutions, and is fully scriptable, is a nontrivial problem (well, let's put it this way: I would not accept a fixed-price contract to do this, and wou...

Controlling printed records when report bound to multiple tables
I created a report that uses the control from a form to generate a report based on that record's primary key. This form also has a subform which has relationships tied to the primary key for record identification and is linked to the main table. When preview the report the data from the subform either does not show up in the preview when using the filter [control]=[form]![control].[value] or makes multiple copies of the report equal to the number of entries in the subform's table. Is there any way around this? I have tried queries but have not found a way to use a f...

Can't get the proper display of a field in my report.
I have 2 tables, both using autonumbers for their primary key. The first table is for contacts (i.e. last name, first name, etc.). The second table is for businesses (business name, etc.) I have a field in my contacts table that has a number format so it can be used as a foreign key for the business table. I then set up the relationship between them & enforced referential integrity. When I run a query, I see the name of the business (after setting up a combo box) - no problem. When I run a report based on that query, a number is displayed (not the business name). Suggestions, pleas...

Results from blank linked cells
I am linking cells from different worksheets in the same workbook, using the copy/paste/link cell method. How can I get a blank space (as opposed to the zero I am presently getting), in the destination, if the source cell is blank. I am linking a input sheet to several forms that must be sent out, but I don't want a form that will have a number of zeros in it. =if(sheet1!a1="","",sheet1!a1) If the linked cell looks empty, show empty, else show the value. Mr. Anolog wrote: > > I am linking cells from different worksheets in the same workbook, using the &g...

Date format in a report
The date is formatted in my table in yyyy/mmm/dd. In one report I need to run for another organization the format needs to be in dd/mmm/yyyy format. How can I change the way it displays in the report? I do not want to change it in the table as I generally want the format to be yyyy/mmm/dd. -- Charlie You can simply use either the format property for the control or you can use the Format() if you need to set the format to something that doesn't already exist. Format([YourDataFieldName],"dd/mmm/yyyy") -- Hope this helps, Daniel Pineault http://www.carda...

linking a dll
I am trying to use functions from an open-source maths library (fftw) which has been written in C for Unix. In their instructions for Windows use they have pre-compiled the functions. I have now got .lib, .def, ..dll and .exp files for the functions, but am having great difficulty getting them to link. All the above files are in the local directory, and I have added the ..lib to the list in Project->Settings->Link->General. I get a number of error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _fftw_free error messages. If anyone could point out some obvious errors or omissions, or even ex...

generate report thru pracle to excell
Recently i upgraded to ms office 2003 since then I'm not able to generate reports thru oracle unto excell (online ). But when I log in an administrator in the local system I'm able to generate the report. the same does not happen with domain users ...

With a Query in Access 2007, How can I Create This Query
I need a query that will list all records in table 1 for which there are no auditor records (Table 3). Somehow, I need to use the relationship between tables 2 and 3 to find what's not in table 1. The following query gives me a list of all records that do have auditor records. I'm at a dead end on this one. Query SELECT PTOTNamesTbl.PTOTAuditingTherapist, PTOTAuditingTherapist.PTOTFirstName, PTOTAuditingTherapist.PTOTLastName, AuditDetailInitialEval.TherapistLastName, PTOTNamesTbl.PTOTFirstName, PTOTNamesTbl.PTOTLastName, AuditDetailInitialEval.Medicare, AuditDet...

Report Detail section coding
Is there a way I can know when the detail section of report moves to the first record of a new group. Something like..... If Me.DetailSection.BOF Then I am using Access 2007 Any help is always appreciated. Thanks, Wally wallymeister wrote: >Is there a way I can know when the detail section of report moves to the >first record of a new group. Something like..... > >If Me.DetailSection.BOF Then > >I am using Access 2007 Add a text box to the detail section and set its expression to =1 and RunningSum property to Over Group. The value of the te...

Report: "You have no transactions for the item you selected."
Hi, I've run into a glitch I can't figure out. I'm working with the Monthly income and expenses report. There are amounts listed under the Income - Unassigned category. When I double-click the category to see the transactions, I get the message in the Subject. I did a split-half search to find the supposed account that it registering the amount, but cannot find any transactions that are in error. I tried a Standard Repair without any change. Help! I should add that this is Money 2007. "Robert Berus" <rberus@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message news:OFn...

pivot table %
I have 2 columns in a pivot table - decription and amount. I need to calc a % of each value of the total. I don't know how to do that. ...

Conversion Errors Table
Hello, I'm new to working with Access, I just converted an Access 97 databas into Access 2002. It tells me there were errors, and to look at th Conversion Errors Table. But nowhere in the message or in the MS Hel is there anything telling me where to find this table. Can someon help? Thanks Patric -- psha ----------------------------------------------------------------------- pshaw's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=493 View this thread: http://www.officehelp.in/showthread.php?t=125029 Posted from - http://www.officehelp.i I'd expect to find it in the new...

Report of Employees not paid
What do you think would be the easiest way to generate a report for a pay period showing anyone who had not been paid that pay period--like a payroll exception report for anyone with wages = 0 for a given pay period. Thanks! -- Debbie from Wipfli It's easy to do outside of GP. If you had MS Access or can write a SQL query in SQL Server Query Analyzer, you join the Employee Master table (UPR00100) with the Check History Table (UPR30100) but restrict it to where the values in the joined fields in the Check History table are null. MS Access has a wizard that will create the query for...

Creating a Calendar in Publisher
I have created a calendar page in Publisher. How do you save that design so that each consecutive month will hold the format? On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:31:02 +0000, Toni wrote (in article <A49FAC01-7290-48FA-9576-5FB4761A9CD6@microsoft.com>): > I have created a calendar page in Publisher. > How do you save that design so that each consecutive month will hold the > format? You use the correct tool for the job. Publisher isn't it. Serif PagePlus, OTOH, is. I have Publisher 2000 Can't you use SAVE AS and it saves as a Publisher file? If the tabs on the bottom are ...

report prefiltering does not work for custom entity
Please help. I've been trying for days but can't get the reports prefiltering to work for my custom entity. I created a simple report with the CRMAF_ prefix and deploy to the CRM server. The report works fine and display all data OK. Except the pre filter does not work i.e. the "Edit Filter" button does not show. My question is: Does report prefiltering works for custom entity? I saw a lot of posts regarding this topic and tried all the suggestions i could find, but still no luck. I tried the microsoft tutorial in creating a prefilterable report base on the account...

Help me create sales chart based on state and quantity
We have a production report on excel. It shows the details for our clients. Part of that data includes the state in which the client lives. We are trying to create a chart showing the percentages of each state( so we know where the most deals are closed) Any suggestions? Hello mr_merchant_man, this sounds like a job for a pivot table, using Average as the data calculation operator. Or, depending on your version of Excel, you can use AVERAGEIFS (in Excel 2007) or calculate an averate with a combination of SUMIF divided by COUNTIF. To be more specific, it would help to s...

how to compare 2 values in a report (Invoice Total vs Payments)
while running a report how would I set a message "out of balance" if my invoice amount (Table 1 ) does not equal the value of my total payments (table 2). If the values were the same then no message would be printed. Thank You Create a new command button to check the report before you print it. You will have to enter code for the button along the lines of: If [Invoice Total] <> [Payments] Then MsgBox "This account is out of balance" Endif "Rita" wrote: > while running a report how would I set a message "out of balance" if > my invo...

creating a formul
Trying to create a formula to do the following: Sheet 1 column A a list of personal names a1-a10 Sheet 2 has list of names a1-a10 and list of dollar amounts colums d1-d10 want to search sheet one and if any name from sheet 2 found on sheet 1 than the corresponding dollar amount is entered. Any help appreciated. -- George I bet you want to use =vlookup(). Debra Dalgleish has some nice instructions at: http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html George A. Yorks wrote: > > Trying to create a formula to do the following: > Sheet 1 column A a list of personal names a1-a10 > ...

How do I create a summary page from multiple worksheets
Trying to roll-up information from multiple worksheets within the same workbook to a summary page. These worksheets are copies of each other. For example: each worksheet has a column labeled "defect number". The users can record multiple defect numbers within a cell (e.g. 897, 992, 1001) So sheet1, row1 = 897, 990 sheet2, row1 = 992 sheet3, row1 = 995, 1001, 1012 sheet4, row1 = empty How do I (or can I) rollup this information to a summary page where sheet5 is the summary worksheet and row1 = 897, 990, 992, 995, 1001, 1012. Here's what I have so far [=Sta...

Using the classes created with xsd.exe
I have created classes from several xsd files. These files create about 150 classes and spot checking them they do represent types in the xsd files. the question is how do I use these files. How do I load data into them and create xml from them. Is there some articles about this subject. Thank you, -- Jerry Hi Jerry, As for the classes you've generated, are they normal classes or dataset classes? As for the normal classes you generated through xsd.exe, you can use XML serialization to convert those class instances into XML content or deserialize the XML content back into objec...

if value not found in table ?
Hello all I need to display a msgbox if a value is not found in a table. Something like: If value not_in table.field then msgbix end if I know that code wont work is just an ilustration of what i am looking for Thanks in advance Use DLookup() to see if the value is in the table. If it's not found, the result will be Null. So, use IsNull() to test the result. Here's how to get your Dlookup() expression working: Getting a value from a table: DLookup() at: http://allenbrowne.com/casu-07.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access us...

Report repeats a field
Example: John Smith 2,14 5,27 3,18 John Smith 3,17 4,27 7,34 John Smith 1,22 6,57 8,92 I want that the report shows a name(John Smith) only one time like this: John Smith 2,14 5,27 3,18 3,17 4,27 7,34 1,22 6,57 8,92 The report get the informations from a Query that get the information from a table. One way to do this would be to set the "name" control's Hide Duplicates property to Yes. Another way to do this would be to use Sorting & Grouping, then Gro...

Pop-Up Subform not linking to Main Form
I have a subform - frmLawEnforcement - that is accessed on the main form - frmCorporateSecurity - by clicking on a command button from the main form. The two forms are linked by the CaseIDNumber field. If I place the subform as just an entry from with the main form, the information shows as linking by the CaseIDNumber. When I enter the information into the subform using the command button, the information does not link to the case number. I am not sure what I could be doing wrong. I am an intermediate Access user but am fairly limited on VBA. ABradley, It would help...

Linked Table Manager Doesn't Work in Access 2003
I recently upgraded to Access 2003 and have found that the menu option: Tools/Database Utilities/Linked Table Manager no longer works correctly for re-linking my front end database to the backend. No tables show in the table list. If I click “Select All” and then fill in the path to the backend database I get the following error message: Method ‘List’ of object ‘IfieldListWnd’ failed. As a work around I have to delete all the table links from the front-end and then File/Get External Data/Link Tables. Is anybody else having this problem? Thanks in advance for your help. "...

String Table (VC6 IDE)
I have strings in English language in the "String Table" of my project (myProject.rc). I'm loading them using: CString msg; msg.LoadString(150); Now, I need to internationalise my app. How can I do that? How can I add support for multiple languages? Which is the best way to do that? >I have strings in English language in the "String Table" of my project >(myProject.rc). I'm loading them using: > >CString msg; >msg.LoadString(150); > >Now, I need to internationalise my app. How can I do that? How can I add >support for multiple lang...