Count records in update query

How can I count the number of records which have been updated by my UPDATE
query?  I tried using DCount but it said you can't use an action query as an
argument.

Robert

0
Robert

Robert wrote:
> How can I count the number of records which have been updated by my UPDATE
> query?  I tried using DCount but it said you can't use an action query as an
> argument.
>
> Robert

I would suggest that you add a column to your table that records the
time the record was last updated. Then run a query looking for records
updated in the last few seconds (depending on how long the update query
will take to run).
If you try to count the records in the update query before it is run
there is no guarantee that all the records will be updated and therefore
your count may not be correct according to actual updated records.

HTH,

Nick.
0
Nick
12/31/2007 1:38:22 PM
If you run the query by using the Execute method of a QueryDef or Database
object, the RecordsAffected property will contain the number of records
updated.

"Robert" <cpq1bcle[REMOVE]@verizon.net> wrote in message
> How can I count the number of records which have been updated by my UPDATE
> query?  I tried using DCount but it said you can't use an action query as
> an argument.
>
> Robert

0
Baz
12/31/2007 2:58:23 PM
I thought there might be something returned by .Execute but the help is
sometimes difficult so I didn't try looking it up.  Thanks.

"Baz" <baz@nospam.nowhere> wrote in message
> If you run the query by using the Execute method of a QueryDef or Database
> object, the RecordsAffected property will contain the number of records
> updated.
>
> "Robert" <cpq1bcle[REMOVE]@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> How can I count the number of records which have been updated by my
>> UPDATE query?  I tried using DCount but it said you can't use an action
>> query as an argument.
>>
>> Robert

0
Robert
12/31/2007 5:49:13 PM
Baz,

I tried the following:

Dim returnCount As Long, SQLstr As String

SQLstr = "UPDATE tblRentaldetails SET Returndateandtime = '"
SQLstr = SQLstr & Now()
SQLstr = SQLstr & "' WHERE rentalid = "
SQLstr = SQLstr & Me.txtRentalid
SQLstr = SQLstr & " AND return1 = true"
CurrentDb.Execute SQLstr, dbFailonError
returnCount = CurrentDb.RecordsAffected

The query executes but the returncount always comes up zero.  See anything
wrong?

Robert

"Baz" <baz@nospam.nowhere> wrote in message
> If you run the query by using the Execute method of a QueryDef or Database
> object, the RecordsAffected property will contain the number of records
> updated.
>
> "Robert" <cpq1bcle[REMOVE]@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> How can I count the number of records which have been updated by my
>> UPDATE query?  I tried using DCount but it said you can't use an action
>> query as an argument.
>>
>> Robert

0
Robert
12/31/2007 6:01:52 PM
Help in most versions after 97 is horrible.  It was getting better in 2003
but they've really screwed it up again in 2007.  The smart move, if you can
find a copy, is to have the help file from Access 97 handy.

>I thought there might be something returned by .Execute but the help is
>sometimes difficult so I didn't try looking it up.  Thanks.
>
> "Baz" <baz@nospam.nowhere> wrote in message
>> If you run the query by using the Execute method of a QueryDef or
>> Database object, the RecordsAffected property will contain the number of
>> records updated.
>>
>> "Robert" <cpq1bcle[REMOVE]@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> How can I count the number of records which have been updated by my
>>> UPDATE query?  I tried using DCount but it said you can't use an action
>>> query as an argument.
>>>
>>> Robert

0
Baz
12/31/2007 6:03:12 PM
> Baz,
>
> I tried the following:
>
> Dim returnCount As Long, SQLstr As String
>
> SQLstr = "UPDATE tblRentaldetails SET Returndateandtime = '"
> SQLstr = SQLstr & Now()
> SQLstr = SQLstr & "' WHERE rentalid = "
> SQLstr = SQLstr & Me.txtRentalid
> SQLstr = SQLstr & " AND return1 = true"
> CurrentDb.Execute SQLstr, dbFailonError
> returnCount = CurrentDb.RecordsAffected
>
> The query executes but the returncount always comes up zero.  See anything
> wrong?
>
> Robert

Yes.  CurrentDb is not an object, it is method that returns an object, so
each time you use it you get a new database object.  Hence, the database
object which you are checking for
RecordsAffected is not the same database object you used to run the query!

Dim returnCount As Long, SQLstr As String
Dim db As DAO.Database

 SQLstr = "UPDATE tblRentaldetails SET Returndateandtime = '"
 SQLstr = SQLstr & Now()
 SQLstr = SQLstr & "' WHERE rentalid = "
 SQLstr = SQLstr & Me.txtRentalid
 SQLstr = SQLstr & " AND return1 = true"
 Set db = CurrentDb
 db.Execute SQLstr, dbFailonError
 returnCount = db.RecordsAffected

0
Baz
12/31/2007 6:12:19 PM
I tried that and I got this error:

Compile error:  User-defined type not defined.

on this statement:

Dim db as DAO.Database

Maybe a namespace is missing?

Robert

> "Robert" <cpq1bcle[REMOVE]@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Baz,
>>
>> I tried the following:
>>
>> Dim returnCount As Long, SQLstr As String
>>
>> SQLstr = "UPDATE tblRentaldetails SET Returndateandtime = '"
>> SQLstr = SQLstr & Now()
>> SQLstr = SQLstr & "' WHERE rentalid = "
>> SQLstr = SQLstr & Me.txtRentalid
>> SQLstr = SQLstr & " AND return1 = true"
>> CurrentDb.Execute SQLstr, dbFailonError
>> returnCount = CurrentDb.RecordsAffected
>>
>> The query executes but the returncount always comes up zero.  See
>> anything wrong?
>>
>> Robert
>>

> Yes.  CurrentDb is not an object, it is method that returns an object, so
> each time you use it you get a new database object.  Hence, the database
> object which you are checking for
> RecordsAffected is not the same database object you used to run the query!
>
> Dim returnCount As Long, SQLstr As String
> Dim db As DAO.Database
>
> SQLstr = "UPDATE tblRentaldetails SET Returndateandtime = '"
> SQLstr = SQLstr & Now()
> SQLstr = SQLstr & "' WHERE rentalid = "
> SQLstr = SQLstr & Me.txtRentalid
> SQLstr = SQLstr & " AND return1 = true"
> Set db = CurrentDb
> db.Execute SQLstr, dbFailonError
> returnCount = db.RecordsAffected

0
Robert
1/1/2008 6:32:24 PM
That's right.  You haven't got a reference to the DAO library.  In the code
window, go to Tools menu, References.  Scroll down the list looking for the
Microsoft DAO Object Library, and tick the check box.

>I tried that and I got this error:
>
> Compile error:  User-defined type not defined.
>
> on this statement:
>
> Dim db as DAO.Database
>
> Maybe a namespace is missing?
>
> Robert
>
> "Baz" <baz@nospam.nowhere> wrote in message
>>
>> "Robert" <cpq1bcle[REMOVE]@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> Baz,
>>>
>>> I tried the following:
>>>
>>> Dim returnCount As Long, SQLstr As String
>>>
>>> SQLstr = "UPDATE tblRentaldetails SET Returndateandtime = '"
>>> SQLstr = SQLstr & Now()
>>> SQLstr = SQLstr & "' WHERE rentalid = "
>>> SQLstr = SQLstr & Me.txtRentalid
>>> SQLstr = SQLstr & " AND return1 = true"
>>> CurrentDb.Execute SQLstr, dbFailonError
>>> returnCount = CurrentDb.RecordsAffected
>>>
>>> The query executes but the returncount always comes up zero.  See
>>> anything wrong?
>>>
>>> Robert
>>>

>> Yes.  CurrentDb is not an object, it is method that returns an object, so
>> each time you use it you get a new database object.  Hence, the database
>> object which you are checking for
>> RecordsAffected is not the same database object you used to run the
>> query!
>>
>> Dim returnCount As Long, SQLstr As String
>> Dim db As DAO.Database
>>
>> SQLstr = "UPDATE tblRentaldetails SET Returndateandtime = '"
>> SQLstr = SQLstr & Now()
>> SQLstr = SQLstr & "' WHERE rentalid = "
>> SQLstr = SQLstr & Me.txtRentalid
>> SQLstr = SQLstr & " AND return1 = true"
>> Set db = CurrentDb
>> db.Execute SQLstr, dbFailonError
>> returnCount = db.RecordsAffected

0
Baz
1/1/2008 6:51:43 PM

"Robert" <cpq1bcle[REMOVE]@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I tried that and I got this error:
>
> Compile error:  User-defined type not defined.
>
> on this statement:
>
> Dim db as DAO.Database
>
> Maybe a namespace is missing?

You have a missing reference.  Go in to References
(from a module menu) and look for DAO 3.2 or similar.
Make sure it's checked.

Tom Lake

0
Tom
1/1/2008 6:53:05 PM
Working. Thanks.
> That's right.  You haven't got a reference to the DAO library.  In the
> code window, go to Tools menu, References.  Scroll down the list looking
> for the Microsoft DAO Object Library, and tick the check box.
>
> "Robert" <cpq1bcle[REMOVE]@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>I tried that and I got this error:
>>
>> Compile error:  User-defined type not defined.
>>
>> on this statement:
>>
>> Dim db as DAO.Database
>>
>> Maybe a namespace is missing?
>>
>> Robert
>>
>> "Baz" <baz@nospam.nowhere> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Robert" <cpq1bcle[REMOVE]@verizon.net> wrote in message

>>> Yes.  CurrentDb is not an object, it is method that returns an object,
>>> so each time you use it you get a new database object.  Hence, the
>>> database object which you are checking for
>>> RecordsAffected is not the same database object you used to run the
>>> query!
>>>
>>> Dim returnCount As Long, SQLstr As String
>>> Dim db As DAO.Database
>>>
>>> SQLstr = "UPDATE tblRentaldetails SET Returndateandtime = '"
>>> SQLstr = SQLstr & Now()
>>> SQLstr = SQLstr & "' WHERE rentalid = "
>>> SQLstr = SQLstr & Me.txtRentalid
>>> SQLstr = SQLstr & " AND return1 = true"
>>> Set db = CurrentDb
>>> db.Execute SQLstr, dbFailonError
>>> returnCount = db.RecordsAffected

0
Robert
1/1/2008 8:17:29 PM
It's working. thnx
"Tom Lake" <toml_12953@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Robert" <cpq1bcle[REMOVE]@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> I tried that and I got this error:
>>
>> Compile error:  User-defined type not defined.
>>
>> on this statement:
>>
>> Dim db as DAO.Database
>>
>> Maybe a namespace is missing?
>
> You have a missing reference.  Go in to References
> (from a module menu) and look for DAO 3.2 or similar.
> Make sure it's checked.
>
> Tom Lake

0
Robert

Counting & Matching Text
Dear Experts, Please consider this & help me to sort this out: I have a Data Sheet contains 5 col namely: Emp; From; To; #OfDays; LeaveType I fill these columns on daily-basis using designed VB Form as below Emp From To #OfDays LeaveType ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Mr. A 01-Jan-06 02-Jan-06 2 Sick Mr. B 08-Jan-06 08-Jan-06 1 Casual Mr. C 12-Jan-06 16-Jan-06 5 Earned Mr. A 18-Jan-06 20-Jan-06...

Cannot Update MDE Hyperlink Object
I've created a Hyperlink to a folder on a form. This works fine until I create the MDE object. I cannot Add a link when in the MDE mode - Please Help Jasmine, how are you trying to add the link? Are you using code or are you unable to find the menu or toolbar to add the link? Jeanette Cunningham "Jasmine" <lalexanderusa@verizon.net> wrote in message news:e0lZF0PZIHA.3964@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > I've created a Hyperlink to a folder on a form. > > This works fine until I create the MDE object. > > I cannot Add a link when in the MDE mode - >...

3022 error while run update SQL
I use CurrentDb.Execute strMYSQL, dbFailOnError to run my update query. I got run time error 3022 which is duplicate records found. I tried to update multi records from the code. I use following code to filter out the error, MS Access only updates the first record. Err_Handle: Select Case Err Case 3022 Resume Exit_Handle Case Else strErrMsg = strErrMsg & "Error #: " & Format$(Err.Number) & vbCrLf strErrMsg = strErrMsg & "Error Description: " & Err.Description Resume Exit_Handle ...

Eliminate Taskbar updates
Excel 2007 Win 7 64-bit I don't know if "Taskbar" is the proper term. I mean the bar at the bottom of the screen that displays the icons and names of all open files. I have some code that opens multiple files, one at a time, copies/pastes, and closes the files. I set ScreenUpdating so that nothing is jumping on the main screen. However, the "taskbar" is, of course, jumping around. Is there a way to freeze that bar by code? Thanks for your time. Otto Try the following; Check the code and comment out any lines that start with Application.statusbar...

Pivot Table Auto Update?
I'm not too familiar with VBA, so I was wondering if there's a way tha I can have a spreadsheet automatically update itself from a database. Basically, I have a database in Access, and I would like to work wit the data in Excel (as a pivot table). I would like to find a way t have Excel automatically update the pivot table when the spreadshee starts up. Is that do-able? Any examples? We'll assume that the database is data.mdb and is in th same directory as the spreadsheet. Thanks! mat -- mkaak ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mkaake'...

automatic journal record files does not work
I just installed MS Outlook 2003 and i already had Office 2000. I tried to use the journal to record files such as Excel and Words but the journal doesn't record it even i had checked the box in the Option to record files. It seems that when ever i open the excel files and save it, it doesn't appear in the journal. Is that correct way of autoamatically record? i can do it manually. Please advice. I'm not sure if journalling works cross-versions. "calvin" <calvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C82BE5DF-DBC8-4E25-98F0-7F63A1BE833F@microso...

Use query results to copy files?
Hi, I have a query that returns results like: Name: ID: Picture ID File Name: Bob 1234 bobs_id_pic.jpg Tina 5678 tinas_id_pic.jpg .... Is there a way to use these results to (automatically) copy all the id_pics to another folder (assuming all ID pics are in the same folder)? Thanks! Yes, but it's not a trivial task. You would have to open a recordset on the query results and then use the file system object to do the copying. If there aren't too many, it will be quicker to do it manually. -Dorian "Gary" wrote: > Hi, I have a qu...

update fail notification for MS OFFICE SYSTEM 2007
Hi, the following update fails everyday.. pls help me to load them..or if the update is not important help me to stop from updating pls.... Update for Microsoft Office Word 2007 (KB974561) Installation date: ‎19/‎06/‎2010 6:08 AM Installation status: Failed Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2007 (KB982308) Installation date: ‎19/‎06/‎2010 6:05 AM Installation status: Failed Security Update for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 (KB982158) Installation date: ‎19/‎06/‎2010 6:02 AM Installation status: Failed Error details: Code 646 Update type: Important Er...

Run a query a few times
Is there a way to get a query to run 10 time. I would like a buttonthat will run a query 10 times.It would take a long time to expalin y i need to run it 10 times butthere is a reasonThanks Use a For..Next loop or a form timer and the DoCmd.RunSQL method....

Counting problem
I have three columns of single digit numbers, example... A1=7, B1=8, and C1=9 A2=3, B2=4, and C2=5 I want to concatenate these three digits so EXCEL looks at them as i they were one number ie. "789" - "345" and then count them based on tw criteria. For example; count concatenated digits > 600 and < 850. Can someone please HELP! Thank you whomever you are. : - ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi =SUMPRODUCT((((A1:A2)&am...

access report on a cross tab query
i have a cross tab query which gives an output like below with following columns------- ozip dzip week no1 week no2 week no3 columns week no1 , week no2 and so on could be dynamic-- it could also be week no52, week no 51 etc nowi i am trying to create a report based on the above query using report wizard--- how should i create a report when column names keep on changing based on what the user needs pls advise thanks subs wrote: >i have a cross tab query > >which gives an output like below with following columns------- > >ozip dzip week no1 wee...

Hey PUTZKE - Ex Ill Gov Blagoievich Guilty of False Statements to FBI
Just FYI. Now it's your turn to post the same thing! Just FYI. ...

Shown all record in a list box from combobox.
Hi all, I have a listbox that can be filtered from a combo box. Now I want the combobox has an option ( called ALL ), so when the combobox value is ALL,all the data in listbox is shown. Below is the SQL of my lisbox records source : SELECT [Model specification_tbl].Model FROM [Model specification_tbl] WHERE ((([Model specification_tbl].Model) Like [Forms]![Start input data_frm]![cbo_fourdigitsmodel] & "*")) ORDER BY [Model specification_tbl].Model; Thank's for your help. hi shiro, shiro wrote: > Hi all, > I have a listbox that can be filtered from a combo box....

Update GAL DL members in OWA or other?
Background: We do not host our own exchange server. Therefore all of the distribution lists in the GAL are owned by a single "service" user that multiple people know the user/password for. We currently have Outlook setup and authenticating to the exchange server as that user on a server that allows us to RDP into and add/del users from distribution lists without having to contact our Exchange host. I am trying to get away from all of our IT staff having to have multiple Mail profiles on their machine in order to administrate the global access list. I have read and understand that d...

How to update a linked spreadsheet without opening it?
Hello experts, I have two Excel 2000 spreadsheets, S1 and S2. S1 is linked to S2. When values in S2 are changed and saved, I need S1 to update its value itself WITHOUT ME MANUALLY OPENING S1 AND UPDATING IT. Can I update S1 without opening it and how? Thanks vey much for your help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi AFAIK no chance to do this -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > Hello experts, > > I have two Excel 2000 spreadsheets, S1 and S2. S1 is linked to S2. > > When values in S2 are changed and saved, I need S1 to update its > values ...

Credit card balance update?
Hope you can help! I am a new user of MS Money 2006. I have several bank accounts entered, and all seem to work nicely except credit cards. Should credit card accounts update like bank accounts do? All my bank account information is update whenever I choose to do a “internet update” But credit cards do not. It seems I have to go to the credit card companies web sit and download the statement manually. Is this correct? Shouldn’t the most current transaction that I see online, on my statement appear in Money after an automatic update, without having to manually download? I h...

Using a query as base for report
Hello, I have created a table where I run a query picking the columns I want in the query. From the query, I create a report. My question is this: Whenever I open the report, I want it to show only the open items. Example: My query has 10 columns, when ALL the fields are populated, the record is complete and does not need to be in the report (i.e. open items report). If the 10 fields are NOT all completed, it's still considered opened and will be on the report when it is run. I think I'm thinking too much about it and making it sound harder to myself. Can you please...

physical count sheet shows wrong departments and catagories
I am using rms version 1.2. When I try to produce an physical inventory count sheet using the filter, the departments and categories are mixed up. I set the filter as inactive= no and category name= (category). Some of the filters show completely blank and other categories show products that are in totally different departments and categories. However if I look at the product properties they all have the correct departments and properties. What is going on and how do you fix this??? ...

Help with conditional count.
How do I tell Excel to only add amounts in column C if they have been flagged with an "X" in the adjacent column B? TIA Try this: =SUMIF(B1:B100,"x",C1:C100) Is that something you can work with? -------------------------- Regards, Ron Microsoft MVP (Excel) (XL2003, Win XP) "Tech.Zoan" <Tech.Zoan@gmail.com> wrote in message news:4355d8f7-ee8e-47be-aeec-fb228c3dc143@q77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... > How do I tell Excel to only add amounts in column C if they have been > flagged with an "X" in the adjacent column B? > > TIA >...

Counting Rows/Columns for Copying Formulas
I have two spreadsheets in a workbook as follows: Source Worksheet contains by customer each product it purchases and the sales for each product (see sample below). Not all customers buy each product. There are also new customers added/deleted each month and new products added/deleted each month. Column A Column B Column C January February..... Customer A Product Code 1 Customer A Product Code 1 100 Customer A Product Code 2 200 Customer A Product Code 3 300 Customer B Product Code 1 500 Customer B ...

UPDATE QUERY
hello world, i have two tables stock and sales where one to many relationship is created. The join type is " 2: include all records from stock table and only those from sales where the joined fields are equal." when I created the update query and wanted to subtract the qty sold of sales table from the balance field in stock table, I am not able to do so. The error I get is "did not update due to any one of the following reasons: conversion failure, key violation, due to lock violation, validation rule violation". If I try one to one relationship I am able to update the ba...

Updating XML Using Linq

Sorting Records using the Double click event
I know this should be simple but can't seem to get it to work. I have 2 fields in a form "Surname" & "FirstName" all I want to do is use the sort on either field if I double click that particular field. I have tried using the runCommand record sort but get a Varible not defined error. Thanks Les Les You've described "what" you have tried, but not "how". Post the code you are trying, it might provide the newsgroup readers a few more clues... -- Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/ Micr...

Mass updates? how to apply same categories to various transaction?
Does anyone know how to apply mass updates to the same reoccuring "past history" transactions with same categories? vs. manually updating each one-by-one? Example: update-> apply the same category to all my past payments to Cable Vision? In microsoft.public.money, JeffreylWalker wrote: >Does anyone know how to apply mass updates to the same reoccuring "past >history" transactions with same categories? vs. manually updating each >one-by-one? > >Example: update-> apply the same category to all my past payments to Cable >Vision? > I wou...

Update Form from Table
I am not new to Access but new to forms. I am using Access 2000 and have created a table and a form based on that table. How do I get the form to automatically update when I enter new data into the table? -- Thanks, Kim Kim, You question seems a bit backwards. Why do you want to update the table and have it show in the form? When you open a form, it establishes its recordset. If new records are added to the table manually while the form is open, the form doesn't know about the new records. To make the form aware of the records, you have to requery the form, but this does not...