Convert datatype using query

I have create a query which combines two tables; ASSETS and UNITINFO.  The
UNITINFO table is linked from another database and the ASSETS table has a
field that looks up a field called UNIT # from the UNITINFO table.  Both
fields are called UNIT # but the datatype on the UNITINFO table is set to
Text and the UNIT # field on the ASSETS table is set to Number since it is a
lookup field.  I cannot change the datatype on the UNITINFO table to Number
as the field contains both numbers and text.  So when I ran my query that I
created to pull data from both tables it gave me an error because the two
fields datatypes don't match.

I am thinking I need to use a query to change the datatype on the UNIT #
field in the ASSETS table to Text in order to get this query to work.

Can anyone show me how to go about this if its possible?

Thank you

Use a non-equijoin to join the two tables. This type of join allows you to
use expressions/functions in the join's ON clause. Note that this type of
query will not be updatable.

You'll need to build this type of query in the SQL view (cannot do it in
datagrid/design view).

SELECT ASSETS.*, UNITINFO.*
FROM ASSETS INNER JOIN UNITINFO
ON CStr(ASSETS.[UNIT #]) = UNITINFO.[UNIT #];

--

        Ken Snell
http://www.accessmvp.com/KDSnell/

"ReneeD" <ReneeD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have create a query which combines two tables; ASSETS and UNITINFO.  The
> UNITINFO table is linked from another database and the ASSETS table has a
> field that looks up a field called UNIT # from the UNITINFO table.  Both
> fields are called UNIT # but the datatype on the UNITINFO table is set to
> Text and the UNIT # field on the ASSETS table is set to Number since it is
> lookup field.  I cannot change the datatype on the UNITINFO table to
> Number
> as the field contains both numbers and text.  So when I ran my query that
> created to pull data from both tables it gave me an error because the two
> fields datatypes don't match.
>
> I am thinking I need to use a query to change the datatype on the UNIT #
> field in the ASSETS table to Text in order to get this query to work.
>
> Can anyone show me how to go about this if its possible?
>
> Thank you

0
Ken
11/20/2009 6:18:42 PM
Try this --
   qryASSETS --
SELECT [ASSETS].*
FROM [ASSETS];

SELECT [qryASSETS].*, [UNITINFO].*
FROM qryASSETS LEFT JOIN UNITINFO ON [qryASSETS].[UNIT #] = [UNITINFO].[UNIT
#];

--
Build a little, test a little.

"ReneeD" wrote:

> I have create a query which combines two tables; ASSETS and UNITINFO.  The
> UNITINFO table is linked from another database and the ASSETS table has a
> field that looks up a field called UNIT # from the UNITINFO table.  Both
> fields are called UNIT # but the datatype on the UNITINFO table is set to
> Text and the UNIT # field on the ASSETS table is set to Number since it is a
> lookup field.  I cannot change the datatype on the UNITINFO table to Number
> as the field contains both numbers and text.  So when I ran my query that I
> created to pull data from both tables it gave me an error because the two
> fields datatypes don't match.
>
> I am thinking I need to use a query to change the datatype on the UNIT #
> field in the ASSETS table to Text in order to get this query to work.
>
> Can anyone show me how to go about this if its possible?
>
> Thank you
I have done this assuming I had to create two queries; one called qryASSETS
and one having selected this new query and my UNITINFO table and putting in
the code in the sql view.  Should I be able to run the second query? Because
I tried to and it gives me the message 'type mismatch in expression'.

Renee

"KARL DEWEY" wrote:

> Try this --
>    qryASSETS --
> SELECT [ASSETS].*
> FROM [ASSETS];
>
> SELECT [qryASSETS].*, [UNITINFO].*
> FROM qryASSETS LEFT JOIN UNITINFO ON [qryASSETS].[UNIT #] = [UNITINFO].[UNIT
> #];
>

> --
> Build a little, test a little.
>

> "ReneeD" wrote:
>
> > I have create a query which combines two tables; ASSETS and UNITINFO.  The
> > UNITINFO table is linked from another database and the ASSETS table has a
> > field that looks up a field called UNIT # from the UNITINFO table.  Both
> > fields are called UNIT # but the datatype on the UNITINFO table is set to
> > Text and the UNIT # field on the ASSETS table is set to Number since it is a
> > lookup field.  I cannot change the datatype on the UNITINFO table to Number
> > as the field contains both numbers and text.  So when I ran my query that I
> > created to pull data from both tables it gave me an error because the two
> > fields datatypes don't match.
> >
> > I am thinking I need to use a query to change the datatype on the UNIT #
> > field in the ASSETS table to Text in order to get this query to work.
> >
> > Can anyone show me how to go about this if its possible?
> >
> > Thank you
I have tried the query you told me to create and it runs the query but it
only shows 17 records and it should a lot more than that. Why wouldn't the
other entries show up when I know that the unit #'s match in both tables?

Renee

"Ken Snell" wrote:

> Use a non-equijoin to join the two tables. This type of join allows you to
> use expressions/functions in the join's ON clause. Note that this type of
> query will not be updatable.
>
> You'll need to build this type of query in the SQL view (cannot do it in
> datagrid/design view).
>
> SELECT ASSETS.*, UNITINFO.*
> FROM ASSETS INNER JOIN UNITINFO
> ON CStr(ASSETS.[UNIT #]) = UNITINFO.[UNIT #];
>
> --
>
>         Ken Snell
> http://www.accessmvp.com/KDSnell/
>

> "ReneeD" <ReneeD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have create a query which combines two tables; ASSETS and UNITINFO.  The
> > UNITINFO table is linked from another database and the ASSETS table has a
> > field that looks up a field called UNIT # from the UNITINFO table.  Both
> > fields are called UNIT # but the datatype on the UNITINFO table is set to
> > Text and the UNIT # field on the ASSETS table is set to Number since it is
> > lookup field.  I cannot change the datatype on the UNITINFO table to
> > Number
> > as the field contains both numbers and text.  So when I ran my query that
> > created to pull data from both tables it gave me an error because the two
> > fields datatypes don't match.
> >
> > I am thinking I need to use a query to change the datatype on the UNIT #
> > field in the ASSETS table to Text in order to get this query to work.
> >
> > Can anyone show me how to go about this if its possible?
> >
> > Thank you
>

> .

If those records don't show up, they likely don't have the value in UNIT #
that you think they do. Look at the values for the "missing" records, and be
sure that there are no leading spaces, no trailing spaces, and no trailing
carriage return or line feed character.

--

>I have tried the query you told me to create and it runs the query but it
> only shows 17 records and it should a lot more than that. Why wouldn't the
> other entries show up when I know that the unit #'s match in both tables?
>
> Renee
>
> "Ken Snell" wrote:
>
>> Use a non-equijoin to join the two tables. This type of join allows you
>> use expressions/functions in the join's ON clause. Note that this type of
>> query will not be updatable.
>>
>> You'll need to build this type of query in the SQL view (cannot do it in
>> datagrid/design view).
>>
>> SELECT ASSETS.*, UNITINFO.*
>> FROM ASSETS INNER JOIN UNITINFO
>> ON CStr(ASSETS.[UNIT #]) = UNITINFO.[UNIT #];
>>
>> --
>>
>>         Ken Snell
>> http://www.accessmvp.com/KDSnell/
>>

>> "ReneeD" <ReneeD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have create a query which combines two tables; ASSETS and UNITINFO.
>> >The
>> > UNITINFO table is linked from another database and the ASSETS table has
>> > field that looks up a field called UNIT # from the UNITINFO table.
>> > Both
>> > fields are called UNIT # but the datatype on the UNITINFO table is set
>> > Text and the UNIT # field on the ASSETS table is set to Number since it
>> > is
>> > lookup field.  I cannot change the datatype on the UNITINFO table to
>> > Number
>> > as the field contains both numbers and text.  So when I ran my query
>> > that
>> > created to pull data from both tables it gave me an error because the
>> > two
>> > fields datatypes don't match.
>> >
>> > I am thinking I need to use a query to change the datatype on the UNIT
>> > #
>> > field in the ASSETS table to Text in order to get this query to work.
>> >
>> > Can anyone show me how to go about this if its possible?
>> >
>> > Thank you
>>

>> .

0
Ken
11/24/2009 5:59:24 PM
All the unit # entries should match from the UNITINFO table to the ASSETS
table since the unit # field on the ASSETS table is a lookup field to the
unit # field on the UNITINFO table. That is why I don't understand why it
would only select certain records.

"Ken Snell" wrote:

> If those records don't show up, they likely don't have the value in UNIT #
> that you think they do. Look at the values for the "missing" records, and be
> sure that there are no leading spaces, no trailing spaces, and no trailing
> carriage return or line feed character.
>
> --
>
>         Ken Snell
> http://www.accessmvp.com/KDSnell/
>

> "ReneeD" <ReneeD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have tried the query you told me to create and it runs the query but it
> > only shows 17 records and it should a lot more than that. Why wouldn't the
> > other entries show up when I know that the unit #'s match in both tables?
> >
> > Renee
> >
> > "Ken Snell" wrote:
> >
> >> Use a non-equijoin to join the two tables. This type of join allows you
> >> use expressions/functions in the join's ON clause. Note that this type of
> >> query will not be updatable.
> >>
> >> You'll need to build this type of query in the SQL view (cannot do it in
> >> datagrid/design view).
> >>
> >> SELECT ASSETS.*, UNITINFO.*
> >> FROM ASSETS INNER JOIN UNITINFO
> >> ON CStr(ASSETS.[UNIT #]) = UNITINFO.[UNIT #];
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >>         Ken Snell
> >> http://www.accessmvp.com/KDSnell/
> >>

> >> "ReneeD" <ReneeD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>

> .

Show us examples of the values that are not matching.

--

> All the unit # entries should match from the UNITINFO table to the ASSETS
> table since the unit # field on the ASSETS table is a lookup field to the
> unit # field on the UNITINFO table. That is why I don't understand why it
> would only select certain records.
>
> "Ken Snell" wrote:
>
>> If those records don't show up, they likely don't have the value in UNIT
>> #
>> that you think they do. Look at the values for the "missing" records, and
>> be
>> sure that there are no leading spaces, no trailing spaces, and no
>> trailing
>> carriage return or line feed character.
>>
>> --
>>
>>         Ken Snell
>> http://www.accessmvp.com/KDSnell/
>>

>> "ReneeD" <ReneeD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have tried the query you told me to create and it runs the query but
>> >it
>> > only shows 17 records and it should a lot more than that. Why wouldn't
>> > the
>> > other entries show up when I know that the unit #'s match in both
>> > tables?
>> >
>> > Renee

>> .

0
Ken

Using outlook express, want to start using microsoft outlook,how?
Currently using outlook express, but need to start using microsoft outlook, can anyone advise how? I have tried the tools, options, general route and this doesn't work, and other ideas please. Thanks, Sharon juliansoffice <juliansoffice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Currently using outlook express, but need to start using microsoft > outlook, can anyone advise how? I have tried the tools, options, > general route and this doesn't work, and other ideas please. What exactly are you trying to do? Create an account? Install it? What? What version? -- Brian...

Build Dynamic Query from Form
I am trying to build a dynamic Query from a Form. I keep getting an error that reads ‘Object qryFilter already exists’ I suspect it has something to do with the string of dates being passed to the Query; strDateCondition = "([Trades].[TDATE] Between [Forms]![SearchForm]![cboFrom] And [Forms]![SearchForm]![cboTo])" I am trying to add a means for a user to Query by Customer and Trader AND all records between two dates. This was working fine for Customer and Trader; when I added in the code to filter by dates I started having problems. I know the SQL will be li...

Microsoft CRM using Firefox
Hello, Would anyone by chance know if CRM will work correctly on Firefox. Currently, I have employees that are using Firefox and are encountering the same issue as IE [Internet Explorer bombs out and states that it has encountered problems...]. I am just having employees use IE to prevent problem. Thank you for your comments in advance. Install a Firefox extension called IETab "Marcos" <Marcos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:19B93E29-757D-46FF-B747-A17EB112ED94@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > Would anyone by chance know if CRM will work cor...

Accessing an USB port using MFC
Hello, I am new to MFC and I am doing a project in which I have to acquire images from matrix-vision camera. Can any one kindly help me how to access the USB port using MFC. Thanks in advance Raj You don't. Even the concept of "accessing the USB port from MFC" is without meaning. What you have to do is open the device, given that you have installed the device driver for the camera. If the camera does not have a device driver, you will have to write a streaming video device driver to support it. This is, to put it mildly, a non-trivial undertaking. There is no known w...

in excel how can we put formula to convert numericalfigureto word
for example : in excel i have mention 25000.00 in numerical amount , i want to know how can i convert in next colum , about word ?/; How can i put formula to make the numerical in to words like 25000 in numerical to twenty five thousands in word. There is no direct functions to convert this. For a VBA solution check out the below links http://support.microsoft.com/kb/213360 http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/ValueToWords.htm http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "excel" wrote: > for example : > > in excel i hav...

Using iterations to calculate circular references.
I am working with data that requires using circular references in some calculations. I checked the "iterations" box to allow for these calculations to work, and Ecxel seems to be calculating everything correctly. The problem is that after I close the workbook, when I later reopen it to continue working, all the cells that are a part of the circular reference display the #VALUE! error. I can fix this by deleting one cell that is part of the loop and then undoing that command, or by copying the formula from a cell, deleting it, and pasting it back into the same cell. I have to d...

Between using Sumproduct
Is there a way to enter a date value that is between 2 dates in sumproduct or another function that will look at the same column and return the sum of a different column? If the value is greater than May 1,2007 but less than August 31, 2007 in column A it will return the sum of the matching rows in column B. I have tried this with either greater than OR less than and it works but, when I try them in the same sumproduct() it fails. Thanks for reading and any information to the right direction. -- Lee Coleman =SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A500>=DATE(2007,5,1)),--(A2:A500<=DATE(2007,8,31)),B2...

Creating a template using Publisher

Is anybody using Symantec Enterprise Vault?
Hi, A vendor has recommended this solution to us, I have looked at the datasheet for the product and it speaks the right language but I was wondering if anybody on here uses it in a live environment and what their opinion of it is. Cheers Sean ...

How can I convert a timeline to be vertically oriented?
How can I convert a timeline to be vertically oriented? Microsoft says it's possible on a few web pages but I can't find instructions. Which version of Visio are you using? Randall Arnold "Sherry" <nowhere@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ut%23cPHX1DHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > How can I convert a timeline to be vertically oriented? Microsoft says it's > possible on a few web pages but I can't find instructions. > > Visio 2000 "Randall Arnold" <rgarnold@cathartis.com_> wrote in message news:#pEeMyY1DHA.1272@TK2MSFTNG...

Server being used to send out viruses
Problem: When I select "Clients can only submit if homed on this server" in the CONNECTIONS tab in the IMC, my remote POP3 users cannot send email through the server. The email just sits in their Outbox. These POP3 clients do have mailboxes (email accounts) on the server so this should work. When I set my server to ACCEPT CONNECTIONS FROM ANY HOST, my server becomes a target for others (as known as evil people) to use my email server to send out viruses. Any ideas? Thanks, everyone who contributes to this forum. This is great! David Hi, If you are using Exchange, w...

Using Sumproduct when some of the values are null
I am having a problem using Sumproduct when some of the cells have null values. I will try to describe the problem. Please let me know if you need additional information. Do any of you have any ideas of how I can fix that sumproduct to get it to work? A B C Row Trend Claims 5 Emergency $0 6 Emergency $0 7 Emergency $0 8 Emergency 81.68% $24,444 9 Emergency 35.00% $164,758 10 Emergency 35.00% ...

Unable to repy using word editor
When repyling to an e-mail I receive the following message, "This form requires Word as your e-mail editor, but Word is either busy, or cannot be found. The form will be opened in the Outlook editor instead". I found article 284900, that states you may get this message when you have office 2000 and office xp installed on the same computer. This is not the case on my computer, Office 2000 does not exist, only office xp. Can anyone help me? There appear to be a whole host of causes for this error message. Most have no solution. Here are a few that do: http://support.microsoft...

please help with this query

How do I tell if Frontpage was used to design a website?
The developers of my website are long gone and I know nothing about what they did. I think it was deisgned in Frontpage, bit am not sure. Once I know that I would like to "convert" it to something that would allow me make changes to the site easily...maybe a visual website designer..is there such a thing? To see if your website is designed in FrontPage a Link to your website will help us. CoffeeCup.com Say:: Visual Site Designer is a WYSIWYG Website creator and editor that helps you make WebPages with no experience or HTML knowledge. Just drag and drop images or ...

question about using the correct schema namespace
I have a Access/VBA client that exports xml to the local drive, then posts it over http to an aspx page. The aspx page consumes it, then builds itself based on the xml data. This works find only if I first mannually change the root entry's namespace url as shown below. Does anyone know how I can get the two (cleint xml export and aspx xml consume) to work together with the appropriate namespace? Here is the top three lines of my xml export (prior to mannually changing it): <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <root xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/200...

How to send a HTML email using MAPI or CDO
I have found examples of code emailing using MAPI and/or CDO. Apparently, CDO through smtp.yahoo.com doesn't allow to send multiple emails at once. I loose the connection after sending 12 emails. Any ideas on that? Also, if someone can let me know how can I send a html email using mapi (MAPI32.DLL) not oe.dll library. Thank you is advance, V. -- Desktop Solutions for Small Companies http://www.micromango.com Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access/200706/1 you should be using Access Data Projects and server-side email.. xp_sendmail ...

using backslash ( \ ) inside Parameter
Hi I am trying to use backslash as a part of a parameter at stored procedure. And I am getting syntax error. For instance, to execute like this.. EXEC spSetupPermissions CORP\ABC, Sale with parameter I have set up like this.. CREATE PROC [dbo].[spSetupPermissions] @USERNAME varchar(50), @DEPARTMENT varchar(12) AS IF @DEPARTMENT = 'Sale' BEGIN EXEC Sale.dbo.sp_addlogin @loginame= @USERNAME EXEC Sale.dbo.sp_addrolemember 'db_owner', @USERNAME END ......etc... I should I go about doing this? I would appreciate if anyone would give...

can't use video/audio setup
I uninstalled WLM9.0 and re-installed WLM 8.5 (version 8.5.1302.1018). Now I can't use the video/audio setup. It returned "we are unable to run video/audio setup for the time being". My machine runs on Windows XP SP2 Please help The WLM could not run the audio chat after reinstallation. Anyone can help? "Walter_C" wrote: > I uninstalled WLM9.0 and re-installed WLM 8.5 (version 8.5.1302.1018). Now I > can't use the video/audio setup. It returned "we are unable to run > video/audio setup for the time being". > > ...

convert text in excel to uppercase
Is it possible to convert all text in a workbook or on a spreadsheet to all uppercase? In VBA Editor Sub MakeUpper() Dim MySht As Worksheet, MyCell As Range For Each MySht In ThisWorkbook.Sheets For Each MyCell In MySht.UsedRange.Cells MyCell = UCase(MyCell) Next Next End Sub "elaine" wrote: > Is it possible to convert all text in a workbook or on a spreadsheet to all > uppercase? Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/case.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "elaine" <elaine@discussions.microsoft.com> s...

I can no longer convert my files to pdf

Using backup as import
Can I import a Money 2002 backup file into Money 2007? No but you should be able to restore it. "perple" <perple@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0832C8E2-B5EB-4197-954E-03E64F66E32E@microsoft.com... > Can I import a Money 2002 backup file into Money 2007? ...

Stop use of Distribution List
Is there anyway that you can stop, or restrict the use of a distribution list? Since you have so much detail of how you are setup and if there are specific people or groups you want to restrict from using it, I will answer your question with the same amount of detail....YES. Add more detail and we can give you a better answer. "brendanrtw" <brendanrtw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6CB3EB2F-F428-46AD-A41E-A1495B8CF4CD@microsoft.com... > Is there anyway that you can stop, or restrict the use of a distribution > list? On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 12:00:...

Is there a way to convert OE 03 form templates?
I have a user that has upgraded from outlook 2003 to outlook 2007 and has a form template from 2003 that is in a FDM extension. Outlook 2007 is unable to read this form. Is there a way to convert this form, or will the user just have to create a new form with their new version of outlook? Any information appreciated. Thanks, -AllenK What happens when you try to install the form? Any error message? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.ms...