Convert datatype using query

I have create a query which combines two tables; ASSETS and UNITINFO.  The
UNITINFO table is linked from another database and the ASSETS table has a
field that looks up a field called UNIT # from the UNITINFO table.  Both
fields are called UNIT # but the datatype on the UNITINFO table is set to
Text and the UNIT # field on the ASSETS table is set to Number since it is a
lookup field.  I cannot change the datatype on the UNITINFO table to Number
as the field contains both numbers and text.  So when I ran my query that I
created to pull data from both tables it gave me an error because the two
fields datatypes don't match.

I am thinking I need to use a query to change the datatype on the UNIT #
field in the ASSETS table to Text in order to get this query to work.

Can anyone show me how to go about this if its possible?

Thank you

Use a non-equijoin to join the two tables. This type of join allows you to
use expressions/functions in the join's ON clause. Note that this type of
query will not be updatable.

You'll need to build this type of query in the SQL view (cannot do it in
datagrid/design view).

SELECT ASSETS.*, UNITINFO.*
FROM ASSETS INNER JOIN UNITINFO
ON CStr(ASSETS.[UNIT #]) = UNITINFO.[UNIT #];

--

        Ken Snell
http://www.accessmvp.com/KDSnell/

"ReneeD" <ReneeD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have create a query which combines two tables; ASSETS and UNITINFO.  The
> UNITINFO table is linked from another database and the ASSETS table has a
> field that looks up a field called UNIT # from the UNITINFO table.  Both
> fields are called UNIT # but the datatype on the UNITINFO table is set to
> Text and the UNIT # field on the ASSETS table is set to Number since it is
> lookup field.  I cannot change the datatype on the UNITINFO table to
> Number
> as the field contains both numbers and text.  So when I ran my query that
> created to pull data from both tables it gave me an error because the two
> fields datatypes don't match.
>
> I am thinking I need to use a query to change the datatype on the UNIT #
> field in the ASSETS table to Text in order to get this query to work.
>
> Can anyone show me how to go about this if its possible?
>
> Thank you

0
Ken
11/20/2009 6:18:42 PM
Try this --
   qryASSETS --
SELECT [ASSETS].*
FROM [ASSETS];

SELECT [qryASSETS].*, [UNITINFO].*
FROM qryASSETS LEFT JOIN UNITINFO ON [qryASSETS].[UNIT #] = [UNITINFO].[UNIT
#];

--
Build a little, test a little.

"ReneeD" wrote:

> I have create a query which combines two tables; ASSETS and UNITINFO.  The
> UNITINFO table is linked from another database and the ASSETS table has a
> field that looks up a field called UNIT # from the UNITINFO table.  Both
> fields are called UNIT # but the datatype on the UNITINFO table is set to
> Text and the UNIT # field on the ASSETS table is set to Number since it is a
> lookup field.  I cannot change the datatype on the UNITINFO table to Number
> as the field contains both numbers and text.  So when I ran my query that I
> created to pull data from both tables it gave me an error because the two
> fields datatypes don't match.
>
> I am thinking I need to use a query to change the datatype on the UNIT #
> field in the ASSETS table to Text in order to get this query to work.
>
> Can anyone show me how to go about this if its possible?
>
> Thank you
I have done this assuming I had to create two queries; one called qryASSETS
and one having selected this new query and my UNITINFO table and putting in
the code in the sql view.  Should I be able to run the second query? Because
I tried to and it gives me the message 'type mismatch in expression'.

Renee

"KARL DEWEY" wrote:

> Try this --
>    qryASSETS --
> SELECT [ASSETS].*
> FROM [ASSETS];
>
> SELECT [qryASSETS].*, [UNITINFO].*
> FROM qryASSETS LEFT JOIN UNITINFO ON [qryASSETS].[UNIT #] = [UNITINFO].[UNIT
> #];
>

> --
> Build a little, test a little.
>

> "ReneeD" wrote:
>
> > I have create a query which combines two tables; ASSETS and UNITINFO.  The
> > UNITINFO table is linked from another database and the ASSETS table has a
> > field that looks up a field called UNIT # from the UNITINFO table.  Both
> > fields are called UNIT # but the datatype on the UNITINFO table is set to
> > Text and the UNIT # field on the ASSETS table is set to Number since it is a
> > lookup field.  I cannot change the datatype on the UNITINFO table to Number
> > as the field contains both numbers and text.  So when I ran my query that I
> > created to pull data from both tables it gave me an error because the two
> > fields datatypes don't match.
> >
> > I am thinking I need to use a query to change the datatype on the UNIT #
> > field in the ASSETS table to Text in order to get this query to work.
> >
> > Can anyone show me how to go about this if its possible?
> >
> > Thank you
I have tried the query you told me to create and it runs the query but it
only shows 17 records and it should a lot more than that. Why wouldn't the
other entries show up when I know that the unit #'s match in both tables?

Renee

"Ken Snell" wrote:

> Use a non-equijoin to join the two tables. This type of join allows you to
> use expressions/functions in the join's ON clause. Note that this type of
> query will not be updatable.
>
> You'll need to build this type of query in the SQL view (cannot do it in
> datagrid/design view).
>
> SELECT ASSETS.*, UNITINFO.*
> FROM ASSETS INNER JOIN UNITINFO
> ON CStr(ASSETS.[UNIT #]) = UNITINFO.[UNIT #];
>
> --
>
>         Ken Snell
> http://www.accessmvp.com/KDSnell/
>

> "ReneeD" <ReneeD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have create a query which combines two tables; ASSETS and UNITINFO.  The
> > UNITINFO table is linked from another database and the ASSETS table has a
> > field that looks up a field called UNIT # from the UNITINFO table.  Both
> > fields are called UNIT # but the datatype on the UNITINFO table is set to
> > Text and the UNIT # field on the ASSETS table is set to Number since it is
> > lookup field.  I cannot change the datatype on the UNITINFO table to
> > Number
> > as the field contains both numbers and text.  So when I ran my query that
> > created to pull data from both tables it gave me an error because the two
> > fields datatypes don't match.
> >
> > I am thinking I need to use a query to change the datatype on the UNIT #
> > field in the ASSETS table to Text in order to get this query to work.
> >
> > Can anyone show me how to go about this if its possible?
> >
> > Thank you
>

> .

If those records don't show up, they likely don't have the value in UNIT #
that you think they do. Look at the values for the "missing" records, and be
sure that there are no leading spaces, no trailing spaces, and no trailing
carriage return or line feed character.

--

>I have tried the query you told me to create and it runs the query but it
> only shows 17 records and it should a lot more than that. Why wouldn't the
> other entries show up when I know that the unit #'s match in both tables?
>
> Renee
>
> "Ken Snell" wrote:
>
>> Use a non-equijoin to join the two tables. This type of join allows you
>> use expressions/functions in the join's ON clause. Note that this type of
>> query will not be updatable.
>>
>> You'll need to build this type of query in the SQL view (cannot do it in
>> datagrid/design view).
>>
>> SELECT ASSETS.*, UNITINFO.*
>> FROM ASSETS INNER JOIN UNITINFO
>> ON CStr(ASSETS.[UNIT #]) = UNITINFO.[UNIT #];
>>
>> --
>>
>>         Ken Snell
>> http://www.accessmvp.com/KDSnell/
>>

>> "ReneeD" <ReneeD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have create a query which combines two tables; ASSETS and UNITINFO.
>> >The
>> > UNITINFO table is linked from another database and the ASSETS table has
>> > field that looks up a field called UNIT # from the UNITINFO table.
>> > Both
>> > fields are called UNIT # but the datatype on the UNITINFO table is set
>> > Text and the UNIT # field on the ASSETS table is set to Number since it
>> > is
>> > lookup field.  I cannot change the datatype on the UNITINFO table to
>> > Number
>> > as the field contains both numbers and text.  So when I ran my query
>> > that
>> > created to pull data from both tables it gave me an error because the
>> > two
>> > fields datatypes don't match.
>> >
>> > I am thinking I need to use a query to change the datatype on the UNIT
>> > #
>> > field in the ASSETS table to Text in order to get this query to work.
>> >
>> > Can anyone show me how to go about this if its possible?
>> >
>> > Thank you
>>

>> .

0
Ken
11/24/2009 5:59:24 PM
All the unit # entries should match from the UNITINFO table to the ASSETS
table since the unit # field on the ASSETS table is a lookup field to the
unit # field on the UNITINFO table. That is why I don't understand why it
would only select certain records.

"Ken Snell" wrote:

> If those records don't show up, they likely don't have the value in UNIT #
> that you think they do. Look at the values for the "missing" records, and be
> sure that there are no leading spaces, no trailing spaces, and no trailing
> carriage return or line feed character.
>
> --
>
>         Ken Snell
> http://www.accessmvp.com/KDSnell/
>

> "ReneeD" <ReneeD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have tried the query you told me to create and it runs the query but it
> > only shows 17 records and it should a lot more than that. Why wouldn't the
> > other entries show up when I know that the unit #'s match in both tables?
> >
> > Renee
> >
> > "Ken Snell" wrote:
> >
> >> Use a non-equijoin to join the two tables. This type of join allows you
> >> use expressions/functions in the join's ON clause. Note that this type of
> >> query will not be updatable.
> >>
> >> You'll need to build this type of query in the SQL view (cannot do it in
> >> datagrid/design view).
> >>
> >> SELECT ASSETS.*, UNITINFO.*
> >> FROM ASSETS INNER JOIN UNITINFO
> >> ON CStr(ASSETS.[UNIT #]) = UNITINFO.[UNIT #];
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >>         Ken Snell
> >> http://www.accessmvp.com/KDSnell/
> >>

> >> "ReneeD" <ReneeD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>

> .

Show us examples of the values that are not matching.

--

> All the unit # entries should match from the UNITINFO table to the ASSETS
> table since the unit # field on the ASSETS table is a lookup field to the
> unit # field on the UNITINFO table. That is why I don't understand why it
> would only select certain records.
>
> "Ken Snell" wrote:
>
>> If those records don't show up, they likely don't have the value in UNIT
>> #
>> that you think they do. Look at the values for the "missing" records, and
>> be
>> sure that there are no leading spaces, no trailing spaces, and no
>> trailing
>> carriage return or line feed character.
>>
>> --
>>
>>         Ken Snell
>> http://www.accessmvp.com/KDSnell/
>>

>> "ReneeD" <ReneeD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have tried the query you told me to create and it runs the query but
>> >it
>> > only shows 17 records and it should a lot more than that. Why wouldn't
>> > the
>> > other entries show up when I know that the unit #'s match in both
>> > tables?
>> >
>> > Renee

>> .

0
Ken

Converting a Microsoft Word document to a PC document

Query Problems
I have a table of ecards that is populated from a website and includes receiver, sender, and Team leader. The problem I am having is names can be entered into the table like this "Tom Thumb", but Team leader is a dropdown menu that is constant and lists name like this: "Tom S. Thumb". When I make a query to find all the members of Tom S. Thumb's team, I get everyone except Tom Thumb, who is member too. Tom Thumb has his own higher team leader, so I can't change that. How do I get Tom Thumb to be included when I enter "Tom S. Thumb" as Team Leader? ...

Excel web query returns no data
When I enter a web addreess into IE it shows the page When I set up a web query in Excel it allows me to select the relevant tables, but then returns no data The same Excel query worked on previuous versions of Excel Web address for query http://www.bmreports.com/servlet/com.logica.neta.bwp_PanBM DataServlet?param1=T_CNQPS- 4&param2=&param3=&param4=&param5=2001-04-01&param6=* Any help appreciated ...

Opening File using default viewer
Hello, how would I go about opening a file using the default viewer, so for example, if the file is a txt file, then notepad would open it. Or if it is an XML file, then maybe firefox woulld open it. I was hoping to use a CButton and if the user clicks on it, then it would grab the path specified and open the file with the corresponding viewer. thanks. Jon wrote: > Hello, how would I go about opening a file using the default viewer, so > for example, if the file is a txt file, then notepad would open it. Or > if it is an XML file, then maybe firefox woulld open it. > > ...

Convert date to months
I have a database that has multiple dates in it. What I am trying to do is in one field I have a date and I am want that date to convert to months in another field. Can anyone help me on this. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200707/1 are you trying to find months between dates? or convert 4 to April? Look at format function for ways to display months, datediff function for months difference.. "bohon79 via AccessMonster.com" <u35329@uwe> wrote in message news:74ac2f3f40ce9@uwe... >I have a database ...

Query to Mail Merge issue
I am running Access2003 on WinXP SP2. I send out dues letters for members of a retiree group. When I try to do a mail merge to my Dues Query all goes fine except the telephone number in the query which is (555)555-1234 comes out 5555551234. If I copy the query into an excel spreadsheet and use that as the datasource for the mail merge it works fine. Is there something I need to do to format the query so it merges with the right format. Thanks Billa In the query format the field to include the parentheses and dash. In query design view, instead of the field name put an expression alo...

Export query to Excel with formated heading
When export from query to Excel, I'd like to turn some columns into heading row on top of Excel sheets how to turn this: LastName FirstName SID Section Instructor Doe John 1234 0545 Su Doe Jane 2345 0545 Su into this? Class Roster Instructor: Su Section: 0545 LastName FirstName SID Doe John 1234 Doe Jane 2345 I think one way of achieving this would be to create a report in Access where you would group under instructor with the students in the detail section. From the report you can then use the analyze with Ex...

Using formulas to filter
Is there a way to filter a list by formulas the same way the Data->Filter option works? I'd like to take the matrix: Col A Col B Col C Col D Col E ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== Smith 30 $104.2 Yes 52 Jones 31 $155.3 No 51 Jones 31 $422.2 Yes 49 Freer 31 $424.3 Yes 42 Waylan 30 $322.5 No 50 Smith 31 $288.3 Yes 49 etc. And, using a formula, filter on Col B = 31 to produce: Col AA Col AB ...

How to use CxImage?
Hi I want to display a jpeg picture by using CxImage but I am new to visual c++ so I couldn't understand how to use this class in my project.Is there someone who have used this class and can you help me about using it? Thanks On Jul 3, 7:12 am, ibrahim <ibra...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi > I want to display a jpeg picture by using CxImage but I am new to visual c++ > so I couldn't understand how to use this class in my project.Is there someone > who have used this class and can you help me about using it? > Thanks Its all here: http://www.codeproj...

RE: Use that security update
--dedtgpho Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="yzkfzsfqtv"; type="multipart/alternative" --yzkfzsfqtv Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="qeviqcxczwaquy" --qeviqcxczwaquy Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to hel...

Has anyone used the Remove MO Utility?
I have a closed Quick MO that did not process properly somehow. The MO is flagged as closed, but sime items were not issued and are stuck in WIP. I ran the Tools > Utilities > Manufacturing > Remove MO process in a test database. It removed the MO and the items re no longer hung up in WIP. Has anyone else ever executed this process? Are there any gotcha's I need to be aware of? Many Thanks. Jim Hi Jim, I too have used this in a development/test environment and have not encountered any problems. -Mike -- Micheal LoPatriello Coordinator, Luna Development mlopat@lu...

Need to convert point on screen to various screen resolutions
Let's say you click on a button on your screen at 1000,2500 TWIPS and your resolution is 800 X 600. Now you change your screen resolution to 1024 X 768 and you need to click on the same button in it's new location on the screen. Who's 100 times smarter than I am and can do some tricky math that will tell me the TWIPS to find that button? I'd ned to do the same calculation for other screen resolutions like 640 X 480 etc. http://www.applecore99.com/api/api012.asp -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "Donna YaWanna" <diy@mdahospital.com> wrote in message news:%23HMLEWW2...

Using cell text in a formula
I am trying to use derived cell references in a VLOOKUP formula to matc data in several tables. For example, A1 contains the cell reference fo the top left of my array (A3) whilst cell A2 contains the cel reference for the bottom right of my array (D14). The array I' checking against starts in column E3. However, when I use the formula =VLOOKUP(E3,A1:A2,4,FALSE) I get a #N/ error. I need to use the cell references in each VLOOKUP as the arra sizes may vary in each case. (PS, I've used =INDIRECT(ADDRESS(A1,A2) to derive the cell references. Ji -- Message posted from http://www.Excel...

Using two conditions in a formula
How do I write the following formula: I am in cell I6 If g6 AND h6 is blank, then blank, else I5 minus g6 plus h -- Richard Pit ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Richard Pitt's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1533 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27042 Richard, In cell I6, enter the formula: =IF(AND(G6="",H6=""),"",I5-G6-H6) Though you don't check for case when G6 is blank and H6 isn't, etc. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Richard ...

Query Criteria issue
Access 2003: Trying to create a demographics report that will allow the following. Gender example On the form "frmStudentDemographics" is a drop down field named "cboGender" When the user makes a selection "Male" a report is generated for only Males. But in some cases the user will want to run a report for both (all) genders. So I added a check box next to the drop down named "ckAllGender" My idea is that if that box is checked then the report will show information on Both (all) genders. So in the query that generates the report, in the c...

How do I convert a list to an Excel file?
I have a WORD file with 48 lines of comma delimited data in the form: xxx,xxxxxxx,xxxxxx,x,x,xxx,xxxxxxxxx xx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xx,x I would like to convert the WORD list to EXCEL. When I attempt to open the WORD file in EXCEL, I thought a conversion window would appear....what I actually get is "incorrect format" Hi! Save the WORD file as a plain text file. Then, when you open the file in Excel a Wizard will open and step you through it. Just select COMMA as the delimiter. Biff >-----Original Message----- >I have a WORD file with 48 lines of comma delimited data in ...

Using CMFCToolBar and CMFCMenuBar?
After initial frustrations indicated by recent messages, I am now getting on with these classes relatively cordially. The user of my program can add or remove buttons to/from the CMFCToolBar(s), and menu items to/from the CMFCMenuBar - all beautifully customisable. The program knows about the available commands and they can be added to any toolbar or menu. And new custom tool bars can be added by the user. It's all fiendishly clever. However: my questions (today) are as follows: 1. The MFC Customise dialogue, from which one can drag commands to toolbars and menus,...

Use of Pop3 accounts for external email
We've been using a pop3/smtp account to recieve our external email. I've heard that using those is a bad idea for a buisness. I don't understand it that much and wondering what are the issues with pop3 and what is an alternative to recieve external mail if not using a pop3 account. We have Exchange 2003. The issue is the company can't archive all user's mail. You know, company's email is representing the company, so the company should keep it as archives. With POP3 email will be moved from server to the client. Instead, you can use IMAP, Exchange Server, or ...

Name Range with using Data Form
I first created a variable with A1:D1, four columns with named variable Data. How to expand this Data range to A1:D2 after using the DataForm to add one row data in the worksheet?? The same, the Data range should be A1:D3 when adding one more data row... million thanks Hi use the following formula in the name definition dialog =OFFSET($A$1:$D$1,0,0,COUNTA($A:$A)) >-----Original Message----- >I first created a variable with A1:D1, four columns with named variable >Data. How to expand this Data range to A1:D2 after using the DataForm to add >one row data in the worksheet?? The...

Spontaneous 'Compile Error' In Queries
I've got a half-dozen queries that contain this expression: IssuerName: IIf(IsNull([tblIssuer].[IssuerID]),"[Issuer Unknown]",[tblIssuer].[IssuerName]) Haven't touched any of them, but suddenly they were all throwing "Compile error. in query expression 'IssuerName: IIf(IsNull([tblIssuer].[IssuerID]),"[Issuer Unknown]",[tblIssuer].[IssuerName])'." tblIssuer.IssuerID is still there in a link. My kneejerk was to somehow force recompiles of all the queries, so I did a Compact/Repair. After the compact/repair, all was well: the errors went away. C...

Using Outlook to access and compile information in calendar
I want to create an application that will compile schedule information from Excel worksheets or an Access database and display them in a calendar type format. I know this type of application can be built using PivotTables in Excel, or forms in Access, but I was wondering if I could use the calendar in Outlook to display the information rather than creating PivotTables or custom forms which would wind up looking something like a calendar anyway. Before I start the job I'd like to know if I can work Outlook into the equation or if I really have to build it from scratch. Thanks, JEM ...

Using Outlook over a Network
Hi, I would like to know what software I need to allow multiple users to access one MS Outlook Calendar. The computers currently have Outlook 2000 and I would like the users to be able to edit one central calendar simultaneously, directly in the calendar (ie. not requiring users to send emails etc.) What sofware beyond Outlook 2000 do I need and is there any info on how this is done? Thanks Adrian Check out http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -Plea...

How to use MSExcel to plot Column A against Col B?
I want to plot col A (x axis) against col B ( y axis). I cant seem to do it. Can anyone here please give me step by step primer. Thanks in advance. All I get is the graph of (1,2,............n) (x axis) against the n values of either col A or B. i.e 2 graphs instead of one. (In the old Lotus this was so simple: select the column for the X axis and then select the col for the Y and press enter, and you'd get the chart) Why is it so diff in Excel? Select the entire range you want to graph such as a2:b44>insert>chart>>>> -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@au...

how to use 2007 styles in Word 2003
hi everyone, we have Word 2003 but we really like the Styles that come with Word 2007. Is it possible to export these Styles and use it in Word 2003? And if yes, how can i do that. In Word 2007, click the Home tab of the ribbon. In the Styles group, click Change Styles | Style Set | Word 2003. To make this choice the default, click Change Styles again, and then click Set as Default. If/when you are prompted to save the changes to your template, choose to do so. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "skoub" <skoub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...