Complicated text to date query - urgently need help please

HIya,

I've inherited a database with three text columns with dates in a text 
format. In each of these columns the text dates have been added in lots of 
different formats, e.g.

30409 meaning 03/04/09, so missing the leading zero!
or
030409
or
03042009
or
03/04/2009
or
03/04/09
So every way which really...

Please help me find an update query, or set of them to get this mish mash of 
different text formats into a unified short date format in Access 2007. This 
database is quite large, so no room for manual manipualtions.
Thanks
Heather
0
Utf
11/30/2009 2:39:01 PM
access.queries 6343 articles. 1 followers. Follow

4 Replies
465 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 16

I would probably take this in steps.
Step 1 would be to add new field to the table to store the real date.

First Update Query.
UPDATE YourTable
SET NewField = CDate([OldField])
WHERE ISDate([OldField])

That should take care of the formats 03/04/09 and 03/04/2009 and even 3/4/09 
and 3/4/2009

Next update query - should handle 5 and 6 number characters
UPDATE YourTable
SET NewField = CDate(Format([OldField],"@@/@@/@@"))
WHERE NewField is Not Null
AND ([OldField] Like "#####" or [OldField] Like "######")
AND ISDate(Format([OldField],"@@/@@/@@"))


Next update query - should handle 7 and 8 number characters
UPDATE YourTable
SET NewField = CDate(Format([OldField],"@@/@@/@@@@"))
WHERE NewField is Not Null
AND ([OldField] Like "#######" or [OldField] Like "########")
AND ISDate(Format([OldField],"@@/@@/@@"))

You might need to handle the remainder manually or find some pattern you can 
use to update them with a query.  You could use this to identify which records 
you need to update

SELECT OldField, NewField
FROM YourTable
WHERE NewField is Null

Once all that is done, you could then update the OldField with a formatted 
string based on NewField's content.  I would not bother to do so since it is 
much easier to work with real dates instead of strings that look like dates.

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2009
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

Heather wrote:
> HIya,
> 
> I've inherited a database with three text columns with dates in a text 
> format. In each of these columns the text dates have been added in lots of 
> different formats, e.g.
> 
> 30409 meaning 03/04/09, so missing the leading zero!
> or
> 030409
> or
> 03042009
> or
> 03/04/2009
> or
> 03/04/09
> So every way which really...
> 
> Please help me find an update query, or set of them to get this mish mash of 
> different text formats into a unified short date format in Access 2007. This 
> database is quite large, so no room for manual manipualtions.
> Thanks
> Heather
0
John
11/30/2009 4:02:26 PM
Hi John,
thanks a lot for that. Please could you let me know how to do this using a 
non-SQL set of commands. I'm still new to Access and can just about figure 
out how to write updates in access using the usual query design view.
Thanks very much
Heather

"John Spencer" wrote:

> I would probably take this in steps.
> Step 1 would be to add new field to the table to store the real date.
> 
> First Update Query.
> UPDATE YourTable
> SET NewField = CDate([OldField])
> WHERE ISDate([OldField])
> 
> That should take care of the formats 03/04/09 and 03/04/2009 and even 3/4/09 
> and 3/4/2009
> 
> Next update query - should handle 5 and 6 number characters
> UPDATE YourTable
> SET NewField = CDate(Format([OldField],"@@/@@/@@"))
> WHERE NewField is Not Null
> AND ([OldField] Like "#####" or [OldField] Like "######")
> AND ISDate(Format([OldField],"@@/@@/@@"))
> 
> 
> Next update query - should handle 7 and 8 number characters
> UPDATE YourTable
> SET NewField = CDate(Format([OldField],"@@/@@/@@@@"))
> WHERE NewField is Not Null
> AND ([OldField] Like "#######" or [OldField] Like "########")
> AND ISDate(Format([OldField],"@@/@@/@@"))
> 
> You might need to handle the remainder manually or find some pattern you can 
> use to update them with a query.  You could use this to identify which records 
> you need to update
> 
> SELECT OldField, NewField
> FROM YourTable
> WHERE NewField is Null
> 
> Once all that is done, you could then update the OldField with a formatted 
> string based on NewField's content.  I would not bother to do so since it is 
> much easier to work with real dates instead of strings that look like dates.
> 
> John Spencer
> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2009
> The Hilltop Institute
> University of Maryland Baltimore County
> 
> Heather wrote:
> > HIya,
> > 
> > I've inherited a database with three text columns with dates in a text 
> > format. In each of these columns the text dates have been added in lots of 
> > different formats, e.g.
> > 
> > 30409 meaning 03/04/09, so missing the leading zero!
> > or
> > 030409
> > or
> > 03042009
> > or
> > 03/04/2009
> > or
> > 03/04/09
> > So every way which really...
> > 
> > Please help me find an update query, or set of them to get this mish mash of 
> > different text formats into a unified short date format in Access 2007. This 
> > database is quite large, so no room for manual manipualtions.
> > Thanks
> > Heather
> .
> 
0
Utf
12/1/2009 12:04:02 PM
First Query
== Open a new query
== Add your table
== Add the new field and the old field
== Change the old field to read
    RealDate: IsDate([OldField])
== Set the criteria under this calculated column to
    True
== Select Query: Update from the menu
== Enter the following in UPDATE TO under the new field
    CDate([OldField])

Second query
== Open a new query
== Add your table
== Add the new field and add the old field (twice)
== Change the first old field to read
    RealDate: IsDate(Format([OldField],"@@/@@/@@")
== Set the criteria under this calculated column to
    True
== Set the criteria under the new field to
    Is not null
== Set the criteria under the second old field to
    [OldField] Like "#####" or [OldField] Like "######"
    (Note: Access will probably restructure the criteria
     when you save the query)
== Select Query: Update from the menu
== Enter the following in UPDATE TO under the new field
    CDate(Format([OldField],"@@/@@/@@"))

Third query is basically a modification of the second query - changing the 
format to reflect the different structure of the dates.
== Open a new query
== Add your table
== Add the new field and add the old field (twice)
== Change the first old field to read
    RealDate: IsDate(Format([OldField],"@@/@@/@@@@")
== Set the criteria under this calculated column to
    True
== Set the criteria under the new field to
    Is not null
== Set the criteria under the second old field to
    [OldField] Like "#######" or [OldField] Like "########"
    (Note: Access will probably restructure the criteria
     when you save the query)
== Select Query: Update from the menu
== Enter the following in UPDATE TO under the new field
    CDate(Format([OldField],"@@/@@/@@@@"))


John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2009
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

Heather wrote:
> Hi John,
> thanks a lot for that. Please could you let me know how to do this using a 
> non-SQL set of commands. I'm still new to Access and can just about figure 
> out how to write updates in access using the usual query design view.
> Thanks very much
> Heather
> 
> "John Spencer" wrote:
> 
>> I would probably take this in steps.
>> Step 1 would be to add new field to the table to store the real date.
>>
>> First Update Query.
>> UPDATE YourTable
>> SET NewField = CDate([OldField])
>> WHERE ISDate([OldField])
>>
>> That should take care of the formats 03/04/09 and 03/04/2009 and even 3/4/09 
>> and 3/4/2009
>>
>> Next update query - should handle 5 and 6 number characters
>> UPDATE YourTable
>> SET NewField = CDate(Format([OldField],"@@/@@/@@"))
>> WHERE NewField is Not Null
>> AND ([OldField] Like "#####" or [OldField] Like "######")
>> AND ISDate(Format([OldField],"@@/@@/@@"))
>>
>>
>> Next update query - should handle 7 and 8 number characters
>> UPDATE YourTable
>> SET NewField = CDate(Format([OldField],"@@/@@/@@@@"))
>> WHERE NewField is Not Null
>> AND ([OldField] Like "#######" or [OldField] Like "########")
>> AND ISDate(Format([OldField],"@@/@@/@@"))
>>
>> You might need to handle the remainder manually or find some pattern you can 
>> use to update them with a query.  You could use this to identify which records 
>> you need to update
>>
>> SELECT OldField, NewField
>> FROM YourTable
>> WHERE NewField is Null
>>
>> Once all that is done, you could then update the OldField with a formatted 
>> string based on NewField's content.  I would not bother to do so since it is 
>> much easier to work with real dates instead of strings that look like dates.
>>
>> John Spencer
>> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2009
>> The Hilltop Institute
>> University of Maryland Baltimore County
>>
>> Heather wrote:
>>> HIya,
>>>
>>> I've inherited a database with three text columns with dates in a text 
>>> format. In each of these columns the text dates have been added in lots of 
>>> different formats, e.g.
>>>
>>> 30409 meaning 03/04/09, so missing the leading zero!
>>> or
>>> 030409
>>> or
>>> 03042009
>>> or
>>> 03/04/2009
>>> or
>>> 03/04/09
>>> So every way which really...
>>>
>>> Please help me find an update query, or set of them to get this mish mash of 
>>> different text formats into a unified short date format in Access 2007. This 
>>> database is quite large, so no room for manual manipualtions.
>>> Thanks
>>> Heather
>> .
>>
0
John
12/1/2009 2:18:04 PM
Thanks John,
Finally got it all fixed - SUPERB!
Cheers
Heather

"John Spencer" wrote:

> First Query
> == Open a new query
> == Add your table
> == Add the new field and the old field
> == Change the old field to read
>     RealDate: IsDate([OldField])
> == Set the criteria under this calculated column to
>     True
> == Select Query: Update from the menu
> == Enter the following in UPDATE TO under the new field
>     CDate([OldField])
> 
> Second query
> == Open a new query
> == Add your table
> == Add the new field and add the old field (twice)
> == Change the first old field to read
>     RealDate: IsDate(Format([OldField],"@@/@@/@@")
> == Set the criteria under this calculated column to
>     True
> == Set the criteria under the new field to
>     Is not null
> == Set the criteria under the second old field to
>     [OldField] Like "#####" or [OldField] Like "######"
>     (Note: Access will probably restructure the criteria
>      when you save the query)
> == Select Query: Update from the menu
> == Enter the following in UPDATE TO under the new field
>     CDate(Format([OldField],"@@/@@/@@"))
> 
> Third query is basically a modification of the second query - changing the 
> format to reflect the different structure of the dates.
> == Open a new query
> == Add your table
> == Add the new field and add the old field (twice)
> == Change the first old field to read
>     RealDate: IsDate(Format([OldField],"@@/@@/@@@@")
> == Set the criteria under this calculated column to
>     True
> == Set the criteria under the new field to
>     Is not null
> == Set the criteria under the second old field to
>     [OldField] Like "#######" or [OldField] Like "########"
>     (Note: Access will probably restructure the criteria
>      when you save the query)
> == Select Query: Update from the menu
> == Enter the following in UPDATE TO under the new field
>     CDate(Format([OldField],"@@/@@/@@@@"))
> 
> 
> John Spencer
> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2009
> The Hilltop Institute
> University of Maryland Baltimore County
> 
> Heather wrote:
> > Hi John,
> > thanks a lot for that. Please could you let me know how to do this using a 
> > non-SQL set of commands. I'm still new to Access and can just about figure 
> > out how to write updates in access using the usual query design view.
> > Thanks very much
> > Heather
> > 
> > "John Spencer" wrote:
> > 
> >> I would probably take this in steps.
> >> Step 1 would be to add new field to the table to store the real date.
> >>
> >> First Update Query.
> >> UPDATE YourTable
> >> SET NewField = CDate([OldField])
> >> WHERE ISDate([OldField])
> >>
> >> That should take care of the formats 03/04/09 and 03/04/2009 and even 3/4/09 
> >> and 3/4/2009
> >>
> >> Next update query - should handle 5 and 6 number characters
> >> UPDATE YourTable
> >> SET NewField = CDate(Format([OldField],"@@/@@/@@"))
> >> WHERE NewField is Not Null
> >> AND ([OldField] Like "#####" or [OldField] Like "######")
> >> AND ISDate(Format([OldField],"@@/@@/@@"))
> >>
> >>
> >> Next update query - should handle 7 and 8 number characters
> >> UPDATE YourTable
> >> SET NewField = CDate(Format([OldField],"@@/@@/@@@@"))
> >> WHERE NewField is Not Null
> >> AND ([OldField] Like "#######" or [OldField] Like "########")
> >> AND ISDate(Format([OldField],"@@/@@/@@"))
> >>
> >> You might need to handle the remainder manually or find some pattern you can 
> >> use to update them with a query.  You could use this to identify which records 
> >> you need to update
> >>
> >> SELECT OldField, NewField
> >> FROM YourTable
> >> WHERE NewField is Null
> >>
> >> Once all that is done, you could then update the OldField with a formatted 
> >> string based on NewField's content.  I would not bother to do so since it is 
> >> much easier to work with real dates instead of strings that look like dates.
> >>
> >> John Spencer
> >> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2009
> >> The Hilltop Institute
> >> University of Maryland Baltimore County
> >>
> >> Heather wrote:
> >>> HIya,
> >>>
> >>> I've inherited a database with three text columns with dates in a text 
> >>> format. In each of these columns the text dates have been added in lots of 
> >>> different formats, e.g.
> >>>
> >>> 30409 meaning 03/04/09, so missing the leading zero!
> >>> or
> >>> 030409
> >>> or
> >>> 03042009
> >>> or
> >>> 03/04/2009
> >>> or
> >>> 03/04/09
> >>> So every way which really...
> >>>
> >>> Please help me find an update query, or set of them to get this mish mash of 
> >>> different text formats into a unified short date format in Access 2007. This 
> >>> database is quite large, so no room for manual manipualtions.
> >>> Thanks
> >>> Heather
> >> .
> >>
> .
> 
0
Utf
12/1/2009 4:06:01 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Excel Regional Date Format Options
A client of ours in NZ is complaining that date format options for English (New Zealand) have changed from older versions of excel (they are using 2003) Some of their spreadsheets have dates formatted as dd-mmm-yy, mmm-yy and dddd,dd,mmm but these options do not exist anymore. Is there anyway to add options to this list without using the custom format option? Thanks, Jesse I just compared the Excel 97 and Excel 2003 built-in date formats and they are mostly unchanged. 2003 has a few more but I don't think there were any subtractions. The formats dd-mmm-yy and mmm-yy are righ...

Error message needed if incorrect Date Of Birth (DOB) entered
Hi, In cell D6 I have a DOB entered....in cell E6 I have a datedif function that has 3 conditional formatting set as: 1 - If D6 is blank, E6 is blank. 2 - If DOB in D6 is between 18 - 24 then E6 shows age and cell is yellow. 3 - If DOB in D6 is 25 or over then E6 shows age and cell is blue. What I need is when a DOB is entered in D6 under 16 years old, then D6 returns an error message -" You have Entered an Age under 16 Years - Retry!! ". I have tried Data Validation, but cant get a message from tha as I dont know what to set as the date validation. I do need a...

How chart time scale x-axis with another date serie
Hello all. I have this problem, I will need to create this chart that I don't know how to. Serie 1 is below which needs to be time scaled Date Count 1/1/2006 12 1/2/2006 3 1/3/2006 5 2/1/2006 18 2/3/2006 4 2/18/2006 9 4/1/2006 18 7/4/2006 38 Serie 2 - needs to plot the three dates in serie 1's time scaled X-Axis with symbols. 1/31/2006 2/18/2006 4/2/2006 I will look something like you have a line of count on a time-scaled chart, with 3 dates point in the x-axis. Please ...

Formula Help (to many expresions)
Could one of you give me a hand with this... I'm trying to put a formula in a spreadsheet that has too many expressions in it. I understand there is a limit to the number of equations that can be in a formula but there must be a way around the cap. Or maybe another way to write the formula? What I am trying to say in the formula is that if... If X is less than 09 then B1 = what's in cell C2 If X is less than 25 then B1 = what's in cell C3 If X is less than 51 then B1 = what's in cell C4 The expression I have written looks like this... =IF(X<10,"N/A",IF(X<...

MS Excel 2003 cannot auto calculate formula, need to press F9 each time
hi, I don't know why my excel 2003 new worksheet cannot auto calulate formula (eg. summation), i need to press F9 and it will refresh and show the new figure. there is "calculate" word at the left hand bottom of the screen. what is the likely reason ? it was running fine 2 weeks ago. any advise is greatly appreciated. rgds. Tools>Options>Calculation tab, check Automatic -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel <sg_s123@yahoo.com.sg> wrote in message news:d5393a73-eb7d-4e08-8fab-5f4ab895f77a@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com... | hi, | | I don't know w...

mscvr71.dll help
How do I make my VS.net 2003 software not depend on msvcr71.dll? Thanks. Use static linking. I don't know where to set the option in VS7, but it used to be under Code Generation where you selected the desired C runtime library to use. In VS6 we had a choice between a dynamically-linked runtime and a statically-linked runtime. I've not had to make this choice under VS7 so I'm not sure where, in their overly-clever and completely gratuitous reimplementation of the user interface, this has been hidden. joe On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:24:56 GMT, anonymous@coolgroups.com wrote: &g...

Help with ShowFilter Macro
I'm trying to use this ShowFilter UDF written by Tom Ogilvy (see bottom of post). It says to use... =showfilter(B2)&CHAR(SUBTOTAL(9,B3)*0+32) ....in a cell to show the criteria for Column B. For one thing, I don't understand the cells B2 and B3 business. What is supposed to be in those cells? I would like this function to appear in the cell directly above or below the Autofilter menu cell. How do I change the function if the Autofilter criteria menu is in, cell A3, for example, and I want the criteria (this function) to appear just above, in cell A2? After trying all so...

Publisher 2003 Viewer is needed
Can Microsoft create a free viewer program for .pub files like they have for the other programs in Office? Can they? Yes Will they? Unlikely Mike Larry M. in Illinois wrote: > Can Microsoft create a free viewer program for .pub files like they have for > the other programs in Office? Larry M. in Illinois <Larry M. in Illinois@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > Can Microsoft create a free viewer program for .pub files like they > have for the other programs in Office? Could they? Yes Is it profitable for them to do so? Probably not. W...

Consecutive Query
Good Day, For your consideration I have the following question. I have a process that leads to the below dataset. Name Start Date End Date Chris 11/2/2008 11/9/2009 Joe 11/1/2008 11/8/2008 Joe 11/8/2008 11/22/2008 Joe 11/22/2008 11/29/2008 Joe 12/10/2008 12/17/2008 Joe 12/17/2008 12/24/2008 Now that I have this dataset I would like to only include Arrival Dates that begin on a day within a 6 day range. ...

Data from Access query to Excel
To pull data from an Access 2003 database, I have created the queries in Access, then import into Excel. The problem is that all the numbers that are pulled into Excel are text and need to convert them into numbers to run formulas on. I have converted a few sheets by hand, but, some have will over 50,000 rows. Is there a function to select all number colums (the colums are the same through out the sheets) and convert? Thanks There are instructions here for converting text to numbers: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry03.html You can select all the columns, and only the num...

Summary of Difference between dates in years, months, days
I need to calculate the difference between 2 dates and then total them. Here's what I have so far: From To Length of Service 01/09/2003 31/01/2010 6y 4m 30d 01/06/2000 30/11/2002 2y 5m 29d Total of Service: ?????????? I've used the following formula to calculate the total days worked: =DATEDIF(A4,B4,"Y")&"y "&DATEDIF(A4,B4,"ym")&"m "&DATEDIF(A4,B4,"md&...

Please help with last formula for order form.
I am able to accomplish this with 1 column by the formulas below. Cell H160 is the subtotal: =IF(SUM(H72:H111)>0,SUM(H72:H111),"") Cell H166 the total: =IF(SUM(H160)>0,SUM((H160*H163)+H160),"") Cell H163 is for Tax. I am almost finished creating an order form. I would like to get the SUM of 3 different columns that are separated. I am not able auto fill strait down the column, because the information is separated in groups with titles, and the cells are not identically sized. I tried varations of this formula: =IF(SUM(H72:H111)+(116:131)+(135:154)>0,SUM ((H72:H...

Help with automating file name
I have the following code that exports the below query to excell. I would like the files name to include the month and date. How would I format this? DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputQuery, "qryShopOrderSqFtShippedSummaryExport",_ acFormatXLS, "W:\Cokato\Production\ProdRoomRpt.xls" -- Matt Campbell mattc (at) saunatec [dot] com Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200708/1 Hi, Matt. > I would > like the files name to include the month and date. Uh, . . . the date _always_ includes the month, unless you're r...

text box on exit
I have validate code on text box and want to cursor get back text box. I use Screen.ActiveControl.SetFocus, but the cusor goes to where my mouse click. Are there any way to let cursor stay in the text box until user enter valide data? Your help is great appreciated, On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:43:02 -0700, Souris wrote: > I have validate code on text box and want to cursor get back text box. > > I use Screen.ActiveControl.SetFocus, but the cusor goes to where my mouse > click. > > Are there any way to let cursor stay in the text box until user enter valide > data? &...

Date/Time Displayed as 07/tt/jjjj
Hi, I'm new with MS CRM and just testing it. I have a prob with all date/time fields like described in the subject of this post. Timezone is set for all users Problem occurs in all date/time fields in the web application Anyone has a clue? Regards Jan As Administrator, go to Home > Settings > there is an area in there (can't remember what its called) that enable you to change default date/time format "JanScheider" <JanScheider@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F1F22171-AEDC-4222-A8CE-3E333B0576CA@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I'...

List box with available queries question
I have a list box control on a form and want the list box to display all the queries within the database. The following code is what I have so far but it does not work. Any help is appreciated. SELECT [Name] FROM MSysObjects WHERE [TYPE] = 5 and LEFT([Name],1) <> "-" ORDER BY [Name]; "Billy B" <BillyB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F47BB77B-7B66-4860-8954-F4FE32FE7C3C@microsoft.com... >I have a list box control on a form and want the list box to display all >the > queries within the database. The following code is what...

Need Hyperlink from Menu Page to work in email
I have a workbook with several tabs. First tab is a "menu" type page (summary of other pages). Currently I have hyperlinks to all the other pages from the menu page. What I want to be able to do is copy the menu page into an email and enable the users to click on the existing hyperlinks (whatever adjustments needed) to go directly to their page of the workbook. Using Excel 2007. Please advise how to do this and what changes may be need for both options to work. ...

SmartList Restrictions help
I built a SmartList that is based on the Year-to-Date Transaction Open file, and has the Account Master linked to it. I want to restrict it to accounts that begin with 36, 38, or 2504. I tried adding a restriction that says "Account Number:Account_Segment_Pool1 begins with 36 OR 38 OR 2504", but I got no results when I did it that way. I also set up 3 separate restrictions, but that didn't work either. Is this possible? I can't find much information about how to write restrictions in SL Builder. ...

Conditional formatting help #4
My problem is that, that i want to ignore blank i mean i had set a conditional formatting say A B C D 24.9 25.9 25 25.8 22.6 23.4 22.5 23.3 If value in ColA is less than value in ColC, cell A1 is shaded blue OR if value in ColB is greater than value in ColD, cell B1 shaded blue. I have done above formatting but my problem is that if i dont enter anything in colC then also colA is shaded in blue similarly if i dont enter any value in colD then also col B is shaded.I mean i want to ignore the blank.I need , if col C is blank then the Col A must be normal .& if col D is blank & i ent...

help plz
my account has been inactive how to i reacctivate it? What account and what does this have to do with Outlook? "heather" <tracyliepke@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:066001c36c53$bb68d180$a501280a@phx.gbl... > my account has been inactive how to i reacctivate it? ...

Help with queries
Hi Guys, This is the first time after school that I am trying to use ms access at work and i need ur help in creating a query. Any help will be highly appreciated!! Here is what I need... I have relatively small ms acces database with about 1000 I have 3 colums date ipaddress sitename 12/09 34.3.3.3 A 12/09 34.3.3.3 A 12/09 34.3.3.3 A 12/09 33.4.4.4 B 12/09 33.4.4.55 C What i need is if an ipadress is recorded more t...

How do I subscribe, please?
Hi! I know this is a lame question..... but how do I subscribe to this list, please? I use AOL as my ISP and yahoo as my e mail. Please reply to me at mhendersona2@yahoo.com. Then I'll subscribe and ask a *real* question....... Thanks! Mary Hi Mary, (posted with email copy) This is a public newsgroup, and in my opinion the word subscribe is a misnomer. The fact that you can read the newsgroup is what is meant by subscribed. There is no permission to be granted from an administrator in order to post, you posted and your posting will remain posted. You will see ...

Plugins, more info needed
Hi, We are looking at adding plugins to our app, but i am not sure what the best way of doing would it be. Does anybody know where i could find some example of project with their plug-ins. Preferably some code to play around with would be great. How would my app load those plugins? would they all be Dll's that load at runtime? We want to offer an SDK eventually allowing users to create their own plugins, so we want to do it properly to ensure that it is as flexible as possible. Many thanks. Sims. Hi, Typically, you have developers create a dll your app will load that exports cert...

Full Text Index PF
We are running 3 Exchange servers in 3 separate sites. Two of which (including our main mail relay) are running Exchange 2003 while the third is still on Ex2000. Our public folder store size is roughly 3.5 GB. I am considering setting up FTI on my public folder store. Our only desire is to speed up the search results on a public contacts folder that is replicated across all 3 servers. Is FTI our best option and how much should I expect it to speed things up? We are seeing about 15-20 second searches (and sometimes longer) currently. Not horrible, but the execs want it faster. Thanks, M...

Combine part of text from one col to another
I'm trying to combine only part of a string from one column with all th text of another column. For instance I want to create usernames to log into a network. If col has Bill and col2 has Smith I want to get just the B from col1 an combine it with col2 to make smithb in a new column. Thanks in advance -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try this: -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== =B1&LEFT(A1) "epac135 >" <...