Column for line numbers...

Can an expression in a column be used to generate line numbers? 1, 2, 3, etc.

Thanks
David

Gotta ask, why do you want them?   There are often questions on this
forum where people are trying to use a database like an excel
spreadsheet, and they are very different things.
0
ghetto_banjo
3/10/2010 6:51:34 PM
Gotta ask, why do you want them?   There are often questions on this
forum where people are trying to use a database like an excel
spreadsheet, and they are very different things.
0
ghetto_banjo
3/10/2010 6:51:59 PM
Just a quick way of getting number of lines with out creating a report.  For
this project, really don't need a report.

David

"ghetto_banjo" wrote:

> Gotta ask, why do you want them?   There are often questions on this
> forum where people are trying to use a database like an excel
> spreadsheet, and they are very different things.
> .

if you just need a count of total number of records, you can use the
DCount function:

i.e.

DCount("*", "tablename")

or see this link for more info on the syntax:
http://www.techonthenet.com/access/functions/domain/dcount.php

One of many reasons you want to avoid assigning line numbers to
records is if you delete a record in the middle, none of the other
line numbers will update.
0
ghetto_banjo
3/10/2010 9:13:44 PM
Thanks for the assist.  Its actually number of lines in the query.

116

"ghetto_banjo" wrote:

> if you just need a count of total number of records, you can use the
> DCount function:
>
> i.e.
>
> DCount("*", "tablename")
>
> or see this link for more info on the syntax:
> http://www.techonthenet.com/access/functions/domain/dcount.php
>

> One of many reasons you want to avoid assigning line numbers to
> records is if you delete a record in the middle, none of the other
> line numbers will update.
> .

Help with labels and lines in chart
Hi all i am tracking a few things and i wanted to make some objects in the my chart reposition dynamicly as i change the scale i dont care if i have to do a little clean up but just that the postions stay correct i have attached a picture any suggestion would be greatly appreshated +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: Unti.png | |Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=5056 | +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ -- crash893 ---------------...

lines to show up on screen for typing labels
I need to know where to type in the names and addresses on labels, but the lines don't show up on the screen so I can line up correctly. maggiebee wrote: > I need to know where to type in the names and addresses on labels, > but the lines don't show up on the screen so I can line up correctly. Table > Show Gridlines -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. ...

Checking if a number entered is positive or negative
Hi all, I've created a function that allows users to enter data into a input box. All works OK so far at least, however, I need to get the script to examine what was input, and tell the user if the entry made was either a positive number, or a negative number, or neither one (i.e. no input or a text entry was entered), when they click OK. Thanks very much for your help. Karen Hi Karen, Here is some ans = InputBox("Input value") If ans = "" Then MsgBox "No input" ElseIf Not IsNumeric(ans) Then MsgBox "Text input" ...

Text boxes and lines, rectangles etc
Mine question is a bit like Gregs. When I click on Text boxes, lines, circles, rectangles, etc, only the eight dots (handles) appear on the page. No outlines. What must I configure? Actually I think we have the same problem. Greg "Baudinot" wrote: > Mine question is a bit like Gregs. When I click on Text boxes, lines, > circles, rectangles, etc, only the eight dots (handles) appear on the page. > No outlines. What must I configure? It's driving me mad, Greg. Whats the answer? "Greg Bowers" wrote: > Actually I think we have the same problem. > ...

Padding a Number
I have a text column of numbers that range from 6 to 9 characters in length. I need to left pad with zeros so that all of the numbers are 9 characters in length. Can you tell me the function I should use and possibly provide an example? TIA Chris "Chris" <chris.brown@sheppard.af.mil> wrote in message news:0c8601c34b9a$fd2b5c70$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I have a text column of numbers that range from 6 to 9 > characters in length. I need to left pad with zeros so > that all of the numbers are 9 characters in length. Can > you tell me the function I should use and p...

Want to highlight all but first line
I have a large spreadsheet. I often want to highlight a couple of thousand rows from one point to the top *except* for the very first row. I highlight from the starting point to the top by selecting the bottommost row, and then ctrl/shift-Home to select all the way up through the top row. I thought I could then de-select the top row by pressing ctrl/click on the row number. But instead of deselecting the row, it de-selects the first cell in the row. The rows are very wide, so de-selecting each cell in it isn't practical. Can anyone tell me why ctrl/click on the first row number in th...

HELP RE: DISPLAY CHECK NUMBER ON PAYEE REPORT WITH
How do I get a historic payment reoport for a specific payee including check number, date, amount, and payee name? ie: "Car Loan Payment history for the period 1/1/01 thru today" Payee: Check # : Date: Amount: (and perhaps a running total or a final total) I think I have tried all the built in reports and can't find one to do this or modify existing to do this. I see this information in the "view payee details" window, listed in the format I require but when I select PRINT all that prints is the bar graph that is also displayed on this page. I ca...

negative numbers in the allocation
I have a client that is getting negative numbers in allocation in inventory, how do I remove it. Thanks, Scott KnowledgeBase Article #850365 tells you how to fix the negative quantities allocated in inventory. Eleni "Scott Rusoff" wrote: > I have a client that is getting negative numbers in allocation in inventory, > how do I remove it. > > Thanks, > Scott > ...

Finding values in different rows/columns
This should be simple, but I'm lost. To greatly simplify my sheets: 1 11 12 13 14 15 21 22 23 24 25 31 32 33 34 35 41 42 43 44 45 2 11 12 13 14 15 21 22 23 24 25 31 32 33 34 35 41 42 43 44 45 I want to do a VLOOKUP(1,A1:A10,1,false) and return the value in D4, or VLOOKUP(2,A1:A10,1,false) and return the value in C9. In other words, find my A cell reference and return the value in a different row/column from that. Another question: When I move a cell (cell1) to another cell (cell2) a cell (cell3) that references cell1 moves its reference from cell1 to c...

How do I stop Excel from changing simple numbers to their 1/100th.
I'm working with the latest service pack of Excel 2000. Every number I enter into any blank cell becomes that number's 100th decimal value. For example, typing "2" in a cell results in "0.02" when I leave the cell. This did not used to happen, but I don't know what I did to make it happen, nor what to do to stop it from happening. CC hi goto 'Tools - Options - Edit' and uncheck 'Fixed decimals' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Chris C wrote: > I'm working with the latest service pack of Excel 2000. > Every number I ente...

Combining two columns into one- Excel 2007
I have two columns of information. The first contains the date and the second contains a number. I want to combine these two into a single column where the date is the first piece of data and the number is the second, etc. etc. I have about 15000 sets of data (date and number), so to do this manually would be out of the question. Any suggestions for a "novice" programmer? Thanks Steve Clarification What I want to do is insert a blank row every other row, and then move the data in column b1 down into A2, b2 into A4 etc. Original worksheet A B 2/1/2007 45 2/2/2007 49 2/3/2007...

the end of long numbers turn to 0s how do i stop that?
5489 4861 3481 5448 8461 turns to 5489 4861 3481 5440 0000 how do i maintain those numbers? XL's stored precision is limited to 15 decimal digits. If you're not doing math on them, pre-formatting the cell(s) as Text or prepending the numbers with an apostrophe when you enter them will keep XL from parsing them and dropping the last digits. If you need to do math on them, you'd best use a different application. Otherwise you'll have to enter them as Text and use string manipulation to do the math piece-wise. In article <209F3B0E-80F6-41AD-A510-EEDAD5625797@microsof...

Hiding columns and custom views problem
Hello: I have defined 6 views in modules that define views. The views are simply hiding or showing columns based on a value in a hidden row. These columns are also grouped in outlines. I am having issues with one of the views which is spitting out the "can't move objects off sheet" error. I already have code in the workbook that autosets the "size with cells" property of inserted comments. Are there some caveats with hiding/showing columns which are grouped? Are there limits to the number of columns that can be manipulated in this way? My sheet has 150 colum...

Invoice Number #3
I created my own invoice using a worksheet since I could not get the invoice template to do as I wanted. Can someone please tell me how to assign a changing invoice number cell? Can I make it start with whatever number I want or must it start with 1? Thank you in advance, this group has been extremely helpfull. Gary Hi Gary, http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "R2D2" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:JzYHg.13382$Nz6.105@edtnps82... |I created my own invoice using a worksheet since I coul...

Ability to Change PO Number When Generating PO From Sales Order
When generating a Purchase Order using the SOP to POP link (from Sales Transaction Entry) would like the ability to change the next PO Number. ...

Number of copies when printing is 256, how can I set it back to 1?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel It's only with one Excel document. I've already trashed the prefs and that didn't fix it. high quality Soccer jerseys NBA Jersey tracksuit and jackets, GHD hairstraightener supplier from www.willpa.com Are you a Retail businessman who bother by the purchase price? China Cheapest TOP wholesale website can help you we are specialize in replica sport goods manufacturing in china, we can offer you all kinds of soccer jersey, NBA jersey,shoes and so on. they are the best brand replica goods w...

Publisher 2003 is missing page numbers when I convert to pdf
I have a publisher 2003 documents of 124 pages with several master pages. I can see and print page numbers centered at the bottom of the page using publisher, but when I convert to a pdf using Acrobat Pro 7.1.0 the page numbers don't convert. Updated both today prior to conversion. Several master pages in the doc. Any ideas what is going wrong? Be certain you don't have "Ignore Master Page" checked. Don't know what is going on. I've tried to duplicate this but I can't. I created a 200 page document, I put the page numbers on the bottom centered. I creat...

Transfer information from column
Excel 2007 I have a large spreadsheet that was exported from a accounting file. There are four columns with addresses, (add 1, add 2...), I would like to be able to take this information and move it into one column without re-doing all the information. If I can do this, I will be able to wrap the text to fit on the same page. Sub put4columnsinto1() dim i as integer dim dlr as long dim lr as long For i = 2 To 4 dlr = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row + 1 lr = Cells(Rows.Count, i).End(xlUp).Row Cells(1, i).Resize(lr).Copy Cells(dlr, 1) Next i End Sub -- Don Guille...

Money 2006 SB Blank lines on invoices
Does anyone else have a problem with Money 2004-2006 printing extra blank lines below each line item on an invoice? For me, it prints one blank line for each line of description. So items with a 4 line description have 4 blank lines below them. This is quite annoying since it results in a 3-4 item invoice printing on 2 pages. I was, and am going back to using Money 2003 which seems to work fine. I have had this same problem on 2004, 2005, and now 2006. ...

Last entry in column
I've googled this forum, but can't find what I'm looking for. Probably just not using the right terms. I want to show in a cell what the last cell in a column with data in it is. I have a worksheet with a column in which I occasionally add another entry for a VLOOKUP. I want to automatically have the range for the VLOOKUP updated when I add another item to the VLOOKUP list. So is there a way, other than VBA code, to get the last cell address for my INDIRECT VLOOKUP to use? Thanks in advance! I believe a Dynamic Range Name is what you need. It automatically expands/contracts to a...

Two lines with a different x-series (please help)
I would greatly appriciate any help I could get on this I am trying two plot two different lines on the same chart line 1 Line 2 X axis Y axis X axis Y axi 0 1.32 0 1.3 8.83 21.22 12.5 23.5 I have no problem with the chart accepting the new Y values (as a different series) but as you probably know you can only have 1 catagory x label so my chart does not show the second line extending out to 12.5 it only extends to 8.83 on a different slope and stops. How do I get it to accept the addittional x value and still have to seperate lines? Thank yo Select the data for the second line Choo...

column information changes when printed in excel document
The address in the column shifts when I print. It doesn't appear as it does on the original document. How can I print it as it looks? Not clear. What is the "address in the column"? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 12 May 2010 11:18:01 -0700, bgood <bgood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >The address in the column shifts when I print. It doesn't appear as it does >on the original document. How can I print it as it looks? ...

Annotating Line Series
I have a line chart of the elevation along a marathon route. Column H is the distance from start (x-axis), and column F is the altitude (y-axis). I want to identify towns along the route. So at, say, km 20.2, I want the name of the town to display next to the line. There are about 10 town names, which I've entered in column I at their appropriate distance. How do I get these town names to display on the chart? Can I tell Excel these are the data labels I want? Or do I just create text boxes and annotate the chart that way? Or something else? Using XL2007 on Vista. Thanks, Fred ...

convert range of numbers in one record into range of single-number records
I have a table of product registrations. All entries have a product number. Some entries have a single serial number, and some have a range of serial numbers. I would like to remove all records containing a range and replace them with multiple records, one per number in the range. For example, say I have four records: Product Serial First Last F21 1 F21 2 10 F11 1 10 F11 11 I would like to wave my magic query-wand and end up with my table looking like this: Product Serial First Last ...

Organize and sort columns
Does anyone know of a way to re-order columns in an Excel spreadsheet other than by selecting the column, Shift, and dragging it to the desired location. The sort by rows option would work if it wasn’t limited to ascending, descending. The program I import data with might provide me with column headers like Company Name, Branch, Contact Name, Account Exec, Agreement Expiration, etc up to 30 Columns. I want my columns to be ordered as Account Exec, Company Name, Agreement Expiration, Branch, Contact Name…… You could insert a helper row and assign a, b, c, in the order you prefer the colu...