Calculated fields to split data from one field to two

Hello-

I am trying to take data from field [Market] and create two fields called
[PLAN_TYPE_NM] and [MARKET_NM].
The data is text and looks like this:
Market
PFFS IOWA
PFFS CAS IOWA
PFFS IOWA
PFFS IOWA

What I'm trying to do is make MARKET_NM Iowa, and everything else
PLAN_TYPE_NM.  I've got IOWA separated by using,
 MARKET_NM: Right([Market],InStr([Market]," ")-1)

My problem is I can't seem to get PFFS CAS into it's own field.  What screws
me up is the fact the field could contain either PFFS, or PFFS CAS.  I have
looked at multiple posts and everything I've tried using Left() and Mid()
doesn't seem to give me what I'm looking for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm sure I'm missing something
simple.
Thanks,

Jay

Try the following.  If your version of Access does not support InStrRev you
will get an error message

    Trim(Left([Market],InStrRev(" " & [Market]," ")))

By the way I don't see how your expression avoid returning CAS IOWA from
PFFS CAS IOWA
You might try the following to get just the market
    Trim(Mid([Market],InStrRev(" " &[Market]," ")))

--
John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007

"Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello-
>
> I am trying to take data from field [Market] and create two fields called
> [PLAN_TYPE_NM] and [MARKET_NM].
> The data is text and looks like this:
> Market
> PFFS IOWA
> PFFS CAS IOWA
> PFFS IOWA
> PFFS IOWA
>
> What I'm trying to do is make MARKET_NM Iowa, and everything else
> PLAN_TYPE_NM.  I've got IOWA separated by using,
> MARKET_NM: Right([Market],InStr([Market]," ")-1)
>
> My problem is I can't seem to get PFFS CAS into it's own field.  What
> screws
> me up is the fact the field could contain either PFFS, or PFFS CAS.  I
> have
> looked at multiple posts and everything I've tried using Left() and Mid()
> doesn't seem to give me what I'm looking for.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm sure I'm missing something
> simple.
> Thanks,
>
> Jay

0
John
11/8/2007 4:30:33 PM
> Instead of the Right function try the Replace to replace "IOWA" with nothing
> to remove it
>
> Replace([Market],"IOWA","")

This worked perfectly!  The state name will change, but I can just replace
"IOWA" with "Insert State Name Here".
I had a feeling I was making it more difficult than it had to be.

Thanks again for your help, and very quick response!

-Jay

"Ofer Cohen" wrote:

> Instead of the Right function try the Replace to replace "IOWA" with nothing
> to remove it
>
> Replace([Market],"IOWA","")
>
> That incase you always want to remove "IOWA"
>
> *****
> If that not the case and there are different names and not just "IOWA" try
> using InStrRev to get the space before the last string
>
> Right([Market],InStrRev([Market]," ")-1)
>
> *****
> Or, In the InStr look for " IOWA" with space
>
> Right([Market],InStrRev([Market]," IOWA")-1)
>
> --
> Good Luck
> BS"D
>

> "Jay" wrote:
>
> > Hello-
> >
> > I am trying to take data from field [Market] and create two fields called
> > [PLAN_TYPE_NM] and [MARKET_NM].
> > The data is text and looks like this:
> > Market
> > PFFS IOWA
> > PFFS CAS IOWA
> > PFFS IOWA
> > PFFS IOWA
> >
> > What I'm trying to do is make MARKET_NM Iowa, and everything else
> > PLAN_TYPE_NM.  I've got IOWA separated by using,
> >  MARKET_NM: Right([Market],InStr([Market]," ")-1)
> >
> > My problem is I can't seem to get PFFS CAS into it's own field.  What screws
> > me up is the fact the field could contain either PFFS, or PFFS CAS.  I have
> > looked at multiple posts and everything I've tried using Left() and Mid()
> > doesn't seem to give me what I'm looking for.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm sure I'm missing something
> > simple.
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jay
> By the way I don't see how your expression avoid returning CAS IOWA from
> PFFS CAS IOWA

I used Right([Market],InStr([Market]," ")-1) and it returned only "IOWA"
from either PFFS CAS IOWA, or PFFS IOWA.

> You might try the following to get just the market
>     Trim(Mid([Market],InStrRev(" " &[Market]," ")))

This worked as well, is there a right or wrong here?  Or just two different
ways to get at the same data?

Thanks again for assistance,

Jay

"John Spencer" wrote:

> Try the following.  If your version of Access does not support InStrRev you
> will get an error message
>
>     Trim(Left([Market],InStrRev(" " & [Market]," ")))
>

> By the way I don't see how your expression avoid returning CAS IOWA from
> PFFS CAS IOWA
> You might try the following to get just the market
>     Trim(Mid([Market],InStrRev(" " &[Market]," ")))
>
> --
> John Spencer
> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
> Center for Health Program Development and Management
> University of Maryland Baltimore County
> ..
>
> "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello-
> >
> > I am trying to take data from field [Market] and create two fields called
> > [PLAN_TYPE_NM] and [MARKET_NM].
> > The data is text and looks like this:
> > Market
> > PFFS IOWA
> > PFFS CAS IOWA
> > PFFS IOWA
> > PFFS IOWA
> >
> > What I'm trying to do is make MARKET_NM Iowa, and everything else
> > PLAN_TYPE_NM.  I've got IOWA separated by using,
> > MARKET_NM: Right([Market],InStr([Market]," ")-1)
> >
> > My problem is I can't seem to get PFFS CAS into it's own field.  What
> > screws
> > me up is the fact the field could contain either PFFS, or PFFS CAS.  I
> > have
> > looked at multiple posts and everything I've tried using Left() and Mid()
> > doesn't seem to give me what I'm looking for.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm sure I'm missing something
> > simple.
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jay

Coincidence.
Your INSTR returns 5 - the position of the first space in PFSS CAS IOWA and
then you get the 5 right most characters

Try it with
   PFFS CAS NEBRASKA
and you will get RASKA returned.

InstrRev returns the position of the last space.

So your method will give you incorrect results.
--

>> By the way I don't see how your expression avoid returning CAS IOWA from
>> PFFS CAS IOWA
>
> I used Right([Market],InStr([Market]," ")-1) and it returned only "IOWA"
> from either PFFS CAS IOWA, or PFFS IOWA.
>
>> You might try the following to get just the market
>>     Trim(Mid([Market],InStrRev(" " &[Market]," ")))
>
> This worked as well, is there a right or wrong here?  Or just two
> different
> ways to get at the same data?
>
> Thanks again for assistance,
>
> Jay
>

> "John Spencer" wrote:
>
>> Try the following.  If your version of Access does not support InStrRev
>> you
>> will get an error message
>>
>>     Trim(Left([Market],InStrRev(" " & [Market]," ")))
>>

>> By the way I don't see how your expression avoid returning CAS IOWA from
>> PFFS CAS IOWA
>> You might try the following to get just the market
>>     Trim(Mid([Market],InStrRev(" " &[Market]," ")))
>>
>> --
>> John Spencer
>> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
>> Center for Health Program Development and Management
>> University of Maryland Baltimore County
>> ..
>>
>> "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello-
>> >
>> > I am trying to take data from field [Market] and create two fields
>> > called
>> > [PLAN_TYPE_NM] and [MARKET_NM].
>> > The data is text and looks like this:
>> > Market
>> > PFFS IOWA
>> > PFFS CAS IOWA
>> > PFFS IOWA
>> > PFFS IOWA
>> >
>> > What I'm trying to do is make MARKET_NM Iowa, and everything else
>> > PLAN_TYPE_NM.  I've got IOWA separated by using,
>> > MARKET_NM: Right([Market],InStr([Market]," ")-1)
>> >
>> > My problem is I can't seem to get PFFS CAS into it's own field.  What
>> > screws
>> > me up is the fact the field could contain either PFFS, or PFFS CAS.  I
>> > have
>> > looked at multiple posts and everything I've tried using Left() and
>> > Mid()
>> > doesn't seem to give me what I'm looking for.
>> >
>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm sure I'm missing something
>> > simple.
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Jay

0
John
11/8/2007 5:08:36 PM
> Coincidence.
> Your INSTR returns 5 - the position of the first space in PFSS CAS IOWA and
> then you get the 5 right most characters
>
> Try it with
>    PFFS CAS NEBRASKA
> and you will get RASKA returned.
>
> InstrRev returns the position of the last space.
>
> So your method will give you incorrect results.

Absolutely right!  Thank you for catching that and saving me a headache down
the road.
Thanks again for the knowledge.

Jay

"John Spencer" wrote:

> Coincidence.
> Your INSTR returns 5 - the position of the first space in PFSS CAS IOWA and
> then you get the 5 right most characters
>
> Try it with
>    PFFS CAS NEBRASKA
> and you will get RASKA returned.
>
> InstrRev returns the position of the last space.
>
> So your method will give you incorrect results.
> --
> John Spencer
> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
> Center for Health Program Development and Management
> University of Maryland Baltimore County
> ..
>
> "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> By the way I don't see how your expression avoid returning CAS IOWA from
> >> PFFS CAS IOWA
> >
> > I used Right([Market],InStr([Market]," ")-1) and it returned only "IOWA"
> > from either PFFS CAS IOWA, or PFFS IOWA.
> >
> >> You might try the following to get just the market
> >>     Trim(Mid([Market],InStrRev(" " &[Market]," ")))
> >
> > This worked as well, is there a right or wrong here?  Or just two
> > different
> > ways to get at the same data?
> >
> > Thanks again for assistance,
> >
> > Jay
> >

> > "John Spencer" wrote:
> >
> >> Try the following.  If your version of Access does not support InStrRev
> >> you
> >> will get an error message
> >>
> >>     Trim(Left([Market],InStrRev(" " & [Market]," ")))
> >>

> >> By the way I don't see how your expression avoid returning CAS IOWA from
> >> PFFS CAS IOWA
> >> You might try the following to get just the market
> >>     Trim(Mid([Market],InStrRev(" " &[Market]," ")))
> >>
> >> --
> >> John Spencer
> >> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
> >> Center for Health Program Development and Management
> >> University of Maryland Baltimore County
> >> ..
> >>
> >> "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

When I am in one cell highlight another
Hello, When I am in one cell highlight another. Lets say that if my cursor is in A1 I want D1 highlighted or with another cursor on it. Then if I move to A2, D2 should be the one with another cursor or highlighted. Thank you for your help, Jose Juan Diaz hi, Jose Juan ! > When I am in one cell highlight another > ... if my cursor is in A1... D1 highlighted or with another cursor on it. > ... if I move to A2, D2 should be the one with another cursor or highlighted. 'put' a cursor on non-active-cell... [I don't think it's possible] :( to highlight 'D' wh...

last 4 wk average using calculated pivotitem
Hi, I am trying to create a pivot table/chart from data that is listed b week. So my table has "week" as the row field and "total X" as th column field. I want the chart to display the total for each week as bar (the easy part) and also to graph the average of the last fou weeks as a line on top of the bar graph. I have tried to figure ou how to add a calculated pivot item but I can't seem to get it to wor right. So for each week there would be a second almost subtotal lik entry that calculates the average for the previous four weeks (if ther aren't four previo...

Copy field data to multiple places

Pivot Tables & changing data
Hi - I have never used pivot tables in Excel before so hopefully what I am going to ask is possible and not too complicated for me.... :o) I am working with Excel 2003. I have a pivot table already set up and the information is pulling data from a row titled "sum of Subscriber". I added new data in a new column from the main spreadsheet and I would like to pull the data from there. Its titled "Adj Subscriber". Is it possible to switch it? If so, how? Thanks, Anna Marie Anna wrote: > Hi - I have never used pivot tables in Excel before so hopefully what I am &...

How to filter to show only one message from a specific sender/subject
I would like to filter out all but one email with the same subject line from a specific sender. I subscribe to a message board that sends an email every time a posting is made to a thread, instead of just the first posting after I have read the thread. Is there a way for filter out the duplicate messages and just keep the oldest email? Thanks, Brian ...

how to edit my x-axis data on a line graph
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel my x axis data on my graph is just showing numbers 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11.... and it is suppose to show the years. I can't figure out how to change these values ...

Viewing an Excel sheet w/out all the empty fields...
How do you create a spreadsheet that only shows the fileds with data in them? -How do you get rid of all the empty rows/columns, to ease viewing for those who are easily confused by excel spreadsheets? (I don't know how else to emaplin my question... I just don't want the extra columns & rows there, if that's possible...) Please help... Hi! >I just don't want the extra columns & rows there, if that's possible... Just hide them! Suppose the last column in your sheet that contains data is column H. You can hide columns I:IV so that after column H all you ...

Data from Access query to Excel
To pull data from an Access 2003 database, I have created the queries in Access, then import into Excel. The problem is that all the numbers that are pulled into Excel are text and need to convert them into numbers to run formulas on. I have converted a few sheets by hand, but, some have will over 50,000 rows. Is there a function to select all number colums (the colums are the same through out the sheets) and convert? Thanks There are instructions here for converting text to numbers: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry03.html You can select all the columns, and only the num...

Validation Rule for field values
I have a database that includes a phone number field. I want to prevent a user from creating a new record that contains a phone number that is currently in a record that exists in the database.I am using a form for data entry into the table. Somehow I'd like for there to be a check to see if the phone number typed into the phone number field to be checked against existing phone numbers in the database.I've researched various sources but haven't been able to find the solution. I'm not familiar with VB so any replies that suggest using that will probably not work for me. Sorry, j...

Pivot table fields missing on all computers
I have Excel 2007 installed on two computers. I also have Excel 2010 beta installed on one of the computers. I am unable to create a pivot table on ANY of them. None will show the field list. All copies of Excel work fine in all other aspects. I have searched the net for solutions and found many others have the same problem but few suggestions to fix it. Many questions never got any response at all. I did find a reference to try removing the .xlb file from the XLStart folder. I did, with no results. I have done all the proper show/hide clicks. I even tried using the ...

24 Hour Calculations
I was wondering if anyone has a solution for calculating (in 24hr Format): Total Shift Hours per employee when start of shift is: 6/13/05 20:00 ending 6/14/05 04:00. AND Once shift totals are calculated in a column, subtotal both employee weekly hours and company man - hours per shift. If you have entered both the date and time, as you show, in a single cell, then you can simply subtract the two and format as time to get the hours worked. As far as the subtotals are concerned, SUMIF will work for the totals by employee. If the starting times for each shift are identical for all employee...

How to delete duplicate data
Hi, I am using excel to consolidate monthly room booking data. I have a date column and time column. May I know how to to delete those rows which contains duplicate data with same date stated in the date columnand and same time range in the time column? Thank you. Data>filter>advanced filter, unique records only and copy to another location -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Excel 95 - Excel 2007 Northwest Excel Solutions www.nwexcelsolutions.com (Remove ^^ from email) "PL" <PL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F45DAE2B-252D-4E17-81D8-0F4C060BCB21@m...

Where can I get a template that will calculate profloss after buy.
I need a template that will calculate all the possible variables in a share trade. The rate on buying, every day entry (7 days),Profit/loss on holding, prof/loss on sale etc. ...

Problem with printing listbox bigger than one page
Hi, I created form "Invoice". It contains few list boxes (like: Brand, Product, Price, etc.). Each list box is big enough to display 50 items. It works in this way: user is chosing product from table Products_tbl and clicks on "Add to invoice" button which adds to each list box new item containg apropriate information about chosen product. At the end, user can print the form. Before it was limited, and user could put max. 50 products on one invoice, but I wanted to get rid of this limitation. I did it in this way: after 50th item, with each added product I extend list boxe...

Compressed Outlined Data Copy
I need to copy only the data that is compressed in Grouped rows and not all the rows when they are expanded. When I copy and paste the compressed data, I get all the data that is within the group, and not just the compressed data. For example: I need just the following (which is compressed): Ship $ Line $5,278.00 CYP Total $133,122.00 TI Total $34,660,135.00 Vic Total $34,798,535.00 Grand Total when I copy it (D2:E17, but only showing 5 lines because of the compression), it pastes 16 lines: Ship $ Line $123.00 CYP $44.00 CYP $4,444.00 CYP $667.00 CYP $5,278.00 CYP Total $123,124.00 TI $...

Combine part of text from one col to another
I'm trying to combine only part of a string from one column with all th text of another column. For instance I want to create usernames to log into a network. If col has Bill and col2 has Smith I want to get just the B from col1 an combine it with col2 to make smithb in a new column. Thanks in advance -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try this: -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== =B1&LEFT(A1) "epac135 >" <...

inverting data #2
Please help, I'm stuck! I conducted a survey where respondants each gave answers to 30 questions using a Likert scale i.e. they answered either 1,2,3,4 or 5 to each question. The data is in the following form: Question # q1 q2 q3 q4 q5 1 2 4 2 1 2 2 4 1 2 1 4 3 4 4 2 1 4 4 2 3 2 2 5 5 2 3 4 5 3 My problem is that half of the questions were asked in a negative direction to avoid possible response bias. For the answers to these questions, I need to reverse the answers. If the repondant answered 1, I want to record 5, if 2 then 4, if 3 then 3, if 4 then 2, if 5 then 1. Is there an...

Getting an UnBound control value into a Table field??????
I have a form that calculates a production rate in "parts per hour". This form needs to be able to differentiate between Line work, Cutter work, Side work, and Blister work. I created a drop down list for selecting the "Study Type" as listed above. I then created a text box for each "study type". When I select the "study type" each text box checks to see if the selection applies to it and makes the calculation if it does apply. The code for the "Line" study is as follows: =IIf([StudyType]="Line",2700?/[SecondsPerPart])...

Importing One Period
Our company operates on a 13 period year instead of 12 months. However, the budget import process appears to be the same for periods or months. We would like to import a budget for just period 13. We tried leaving blanks in the period 1 - 12 accounts in excel and imported to a test company and that deleted all budgets, we also tried zeros, which did as we expected, inserted zeros. The budget file used to import existing budgets for periods 1 -12 has become corrupt and we do not have a backup for this file. In this file, we created formulas that allow us to use %'s to update ...

compare two columns with different ranges in two worksheets
I need to compare two columns of data in two different worksheets and display a third one. Here it is an example: -(worksheet1!A1:A10), (worksheet1!B1:B10) and (whorksheet2!C1:C25) -this is my query, if C5 is already in (A1:A10) I want to display B5 in worksheet2!D5 I think it is tricky because you need to identity which row in the A1:A10 is equal to C5 to display B5 and the range are different. you could save my day chris90 In worksheet2!D1: =if(isna(vlookup(C1, worksheet1!$A$1:$B$10, 2, 0)), "", vlookup(C1, worksheet1!$A$1:$B$10, 2, 0)) HTH Kostis Vezerides brilliant, ma...

Retreiving data
We move mailbox on a new server but somethimes we receive the following message: "outlook is retrieving data from the OLD exchange server" Can anyone help me -- Dambo On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 01:21:01 -0800, Damb0 <Damb0@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We move mailbox on a new server but somethimes we receive the following >message: "outlook is retrieving data from the OLD exchange server" > >Can anyone help me What steps did you do to decommission the old server? If you give us an idea of the version of the old and new ones we can post the right help ...

Jscript to hide unpopulated fields
Hi We have created two custom entities named suppliers and business partners. We would prefer not to create account records and use the relationship type field so we created these custom entities. We now have on the Contact form three seperate fields that a contact could be related to. These fields are parent customer, parent supplier and parent business partner. A Contact should only be associated with one parent record. We would like to write Jscript which hides the remaining fields if one of the fields is populated. If a user associates a Contact with a parent customer then the ...

Multiple recipients for one address
Total newbie question. I work for a company with a dedicated service department. I need for up to 5 people to be able to get a copy of a message that comes in to the address "servcie@ourdomain.com". I tried adding this address to each of the users, but I can't give one address to multiple users. I don't want to create a "Service" user and have them check that account. I just want the emails to be routed from the service@ address to each users' inbox. Total newbie, so detailed answers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Create a mail-enabled Grou...

Help Required with Macro to Manipulate Data
I have a spreadsheet(s) with the following data on it (this is imported from a text file) A B C D 1 Branch Date Total 2 4501 030204 29 3 4 4501 030204 14 5 6 4502 030204 331 7 8 4502 030204 52 9 10 4503 030204 54 11 12 4503 030204 85 Hi Alay and what do you want to achieve :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Alan T >" <<Alan.T.12jthe@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Alan.T.12jthe@excelforum-nospam.com... > I have a spreadsheet(s) with the following data on it (this is imported ...