Best way to add a chart?

Earlier I had asked for some help on how to proceed with this
application.  I have moved forward a little on my own but now I'm at a
point where I really need a pro's recommendation.

I am trying to build an application that will track printer usage.  I
am using a search interface that I downloaded form Allen Browne's web
site (excellent stuff!!).  My concept is this;
1.  Interface allows user to choose search criteria based on type of
pages printed, specific printer, and time frame of printer usage
audit.
2.  After user selects the criteria the form displays the filtered
data and changes the columns that are displayed based on the criteria
chosen.
3.  A chart displays (preferably on the same screen as the current
search form) the filtered data.

I have number 1 above done and it works well.  I decided on a process
for step 2 and it seems to be working well enough,  but I'm still not
sure how to even start number 3.  I know of several ways to create the
chart but I'm not sure of the best way.  The chart will be a standard
bar chart representing the criteria selected by the user.  Should I
use a separate form that is displayed at the same time as the search
form?  Should I put the chart in the detail section of the current
search form?  What is the best way to make it dynamic?  Change the
chart information via SQL or connect the chart to the search form
filter?

Hopefully this link will take you to an image of my interface:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dpqcvxj_4gx6s6f

I appreciate any help provided.  You guys provide a great service and
I appreciate what you do for guys like me.

Thanks.

0
Rick

Need to show percentage reduction on bar chart
Hi. I have a chart with two stacked columns on it. Say the values on the left stack are 200, 100, 80 and on the right stack 120, 40, 20. I want to display the totals on top of each stack ie 380 and 180. Secondly to the right of the right hand stack I want to show the percent reduction in each component. So 40%, etc. Is there a way to do these two tasks? Thanks. Put the totals (380, 180) into the worksheet, and add these as a new series. The series will be added as another stack, but right click on it, choose Chart Type, and select a line type to change it. The points are aligned ...

saving a chart
When I make an excel chart, and save it, then try to later retrieve it, I get back to the spreadsheet and have to start over with a new chart. Can you save a chart with the properties you selected for the chart intact? The only way around this so far is to copy the chart to the clipboard and then open in an image program I am using PAINT for that. What version of Excel are you using? I do not have this problem. "Glenn Vatter" wrote: > When I make an excel chart, and save it, then try to later retrieve it, I > get back to the spreadsheet and have to start over with a ...

Trendlines in Pivot Charts
How do I add a trendline to a chart based on a pivot table? Is it possible Thanks Leroy - Did you try this? Right click on a series, and select Add Trendline from the pop up menu. This works in Excel 2000 and XP (2002), and presumably for 2003 as well; Excel 97 didn't support pivot charts. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Leroy wrote: > How do I add a trendline to a chart based on a pivot table? Is it possible? > > Thanks Jon - I am having a similar problem - I hav...

A "C" in the middle of my chart
There is a "C" or "(" that is showing up in the middle of my Excel bar chart, and I don't know how to get rid of it. Any ideas? Thanks, Em Move the cursor slowly up to the character (it's a textbox) until the cursor changes to the four arrow icon, click once to select the textbox, and press Delete. It might be easier to select the textbox if you select the "Select Objects" button (looks like a cursor arrow) on the Drawing toolbar. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://Peltier...

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Hi, Intermittently, when I start Microsoft Outlook 2002 running on an Windows 2000 workstation, I get the error "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information." Has anyone ever seen this error and if so, does anyone have a resolution to prevent it? Thanks, Dwaine ...

Table and Chart
I have three variables: Screen (month and year), Eligible (yes/no), and Enrolled (yes/no). Screen starts on March 2005 and will continue for several years to come. I want to create a column chart that shows for each month and year the number of people who were eligible and enrolled. Below is a sample of the data. I think I want something like this: IF A:A = Jan-05, then count B:B and C:C of the same row where A:A is the column for Screen B:B is the column for Eligible C:C is the column for Enrolled Once I have the table I should be able to do the graph. I'm sure though I&...

How do I add items within the last year
=sumproduct(--(year(a1:a10)=2005),b1:b10) Adjust your range to match, but don't use the whole column. =sumproduct() likes to work with numbers. The -- converts trues and falses to 1's and 0's. Kevbro7189 wrote: -- Dave Peterson ...

Creating Bubble Charts
How do you create a bubble chart that displays the legend as a description of the 3rd variable (the bubble size)? For example, how would you create the following bubble chart where the x-axis is column B, y-axis is column C, bubble size is column D and legend is column A? A1: B1:Gross Rev C1:Net Income D1:# of Plants A2:East B2:830,000 C2:35,000 D2:26 A3:West B3:620,000 C3:54,000 D3:13 A4:North B4:150,000 C4:80,000 D4:40 A5:South B5:41,000 C5:15,000 D5:35 Any insight will be helpful! Hi Tina I would create a bubble chart and use one of the following tools for labelling the...

Public Folders only synchronize 1-way
Yesterday I created a replica for a small part of my Public Folder tree. That part of my tree shows up on the store of the replica server. So far so good. But any changes made in the new replica don't get replicated back to the orginal Public Folder. Any changes made to the original folder do get replicated to the new. In short I know have 1-way public folder replication. Which is not what I want. Half of my clients now see different folder contents then the other half of my clients. Any thoughts ? I checked event logs. Nothing wrong there it seems. Greetz Richard ...

how to add hours and minutes in excel
I have caliculated the time worked for the day using the formula =TEXT(D2-C2, "hh:mm"") -where D2 is the time work closed and C2 is the time work begun. I got total time worked for the day in hours and minutes. I caliculated like this for the whole month. Now here I am facing a big problem totalling all the worked hours for the whole month. I used the formula =SUM(E2:E26) where E2 is D2-C2 and so on. But no result. I formatted the cell where the formula =SUM(E2:E26) as [hh]:mm as I have seen this formatting on these pages.But to no use.Can any one can help me how to ...

Access 2007 graph/chart
I have created an access graph in Microsoft Office XP Professional using a union query. I have now moved the database into Access 2007. When I look at the graph in design view everything is fine. When I switch to form view, the window around the graph is present but no graph. If I click on the window, the graph appears as seen in design view (correct). How can I make the graph load properly? Is this a focus issue? Would appreciate any help. Thanks. Arnold ...

bubble chart
Hi ... Have about 10 bubbles there. Need to format data labels of ALL 10 bubbles at the same time. (I wanna select Alignment > label position > center, that means moving all 10 data labels to the center of the bubbles) Any method that i can do it in one go, without the need to select and format it one by one ? Using Excel 2002. Thanks. Hi, If the bubbles are all different series then no. You can reduce the time by using F4 which will repeat the command. So format one data label and then select another and press F4. Cheers Andy dstdst123@excite.com wrote: > Hi ... > >...

How do I keep chart/data link when copying worksheet
I have a worksheet for each month within a file - each worksheet has data tables, and some charts generated from that data. With Excel 2003, when I copied a worksheet within the same file (for example, to create the July sheet, by copying the June sheet) the charts in the new (copied) July sheet correctly linked to the July data. When I do the same in Excel 2007, the charts in the July sheet link back to the June data instead. I have looked through the options and cannot see how to do this. Is the data on the same sheet as the chart? In 2003, if the chart was on a different worksheet, ...

Using Defined Names in Charts
I am using Office 2002. I am trying to create a chart that has only one Series called Data. The values for DATA is a name called SCROLL_DATA. The name has been defined using the Insert-Name-Define action. The workbook is called Quality Escapes.xls I have entered the following in the values box as I have seen many instruction as follows =Quality Escapes.xls!SCROLL_DATA What am I doing wrong. -- bobburg ------------------------------------------------------------------------ bobburg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=22006 View this thread: http:/...

Paste a chart as a link?
Can you paste a chart as a link within the same workbook? I have a large workbook, with a different worksheet for each location. Each of these worksheets has a large data range which I add to each month. Next to the data range I have a corresponding chart. This makes it easy to update the chart each month, by dragging the color-coded range for the entire data series. What I need to do is display all of the charts together in one worksheet. I’ve tried moving them all to a separate worksheet, but then it’s difficult to update them. (no more color ranges) Is there an easier way to ...

Live Charts in PPT 2007
Is it possible to do the following: 1. Create an Excel Spreadsheet in PPT 2. Create a chart from the data in that spreadsheet 3. Link the embedded spreadsheet to the chart so that data changed in the PPT reflects in the chart. 4. In presentation mode, keep the spreadsheet live to that I can change data and have it reflect in the chart without dropping out of presentation mode? I do a lot of sales presentations and I'm hoping to be able to update information on the fly without "going behind the curtain." Thank you. 1. Yes. 2. Yes. 3. Yes. 4. Don'...

add .NET unregister event capability from VS Tools
Because of the architecture of the .NET wrapper classes for GP resources it's critical to be able to unregister events. Othewise some nasty workarounds have to be enginneered to go around this limitation. Case in point: When using FormFactory to launch wrapper forms or own forms one will potentially register to a state field on the dex window exposed via the dex form. Each time the wrapper form is launched it registers a new event handler to the same event. When the form wrapper object gets disposed the memory will never be reclaimed by the gc because of the stray delegate to the e...

Is there a way to create a customer log in section,
Is there a way to create a customer log in area, so that I can create log in names and passwords? You will probably need to use php and a MySQL db to do this. Mike Ottolikestogetbloto wrote: > Is there a way to create a customer log in area, so that I can create log in > names and passwords? ...

Is there a good way to handle sub-tasks in Outlook?
Has anyone found a good way, in managing Tasks in Outlook, to manage certain Tasks as SUB-Tasks of another Task, similar to what Microsoft Project can do? Please include victor@whyaduck.org and vschwartz@mhnet.com in your reply. Thank you, Victor Schwartz Do you use Categories? You set up a Category for each Project and then all Tasks that relate are put in that Category. Outlook does not do sub-Tasks. I hope this helps you at least a little bit! Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook Outlook trainer and author of Productiv_IT with Outlook www.acorntraining.com.au "I not only use all t...

How do Bar chart where Bar colour changes with different data Valu
hi, I would like to develop a Bar chart, which changes its bar colour for different data values. e.g for a cell format and to change colour of a cell for different values we can use conditional format. Hi, Have a look an Jon's example of conditional charts. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html Cheers Andy Zeeshan wrote: > hi, > I would like to develop a Bar chart, which changes its bar colour for > different data values. e.g for a cell format and to change colour of a cell > for different values we can use conditional format. -- Andy Pope, Micro...

Timeline chart from text containing cells
I have seen great tips here for creating Excel timeline charts from numerical data. My question may be far afield but here it is: is there a way to create a timeline chart from a table organized as follows: 1) Years 2004 to 2009 as column headings, columns B-G 2) Product descriptions as row titles in column A 3) keywords (such as "RE", "EX", "FS") in the intersecting cells Can Excel convert these key words to distinctive symbols (such as a square bullet, round bullet, diamond shaped bullet) and create a timeline chart? So it's like a Gantt chart with...

Right justify moves data part way
As input, I have a spreadsheet, and I noticed that many of the columns, when right-justified only moved a portion of the way across the cell. Then I noticed that if I shrunk the cell and tried to left or right justify, it was possible that I would lose all or part of the data. Apparently, the column width is not being shrunk, per se, but moved. I am not familiar with this and would like to remove this function. -- hgopp99 See one reply in .newusers. Please don't post the same question to multiple groups. It tends to fragment your answers, and potentially wastes the time of thos...

How do I create new default color settings for charts in Excel?
I do not like the default color settings for my charts in Excel. I always end up modifying them extensively. I'd like to make as few changes as possible when my charts are created. Can I set new color defaults for charts created in Excel? Hi, You can set the colours for chart lines and fill. Menu Tools > Options. On the Color tab is a set of colours for Line and Fill. Cheers Andy pro user wrote: > I do not like the default color settings for my charts in Excel. I always end > up modifying them extensively. I'd like to make as few changes as possible > when my char...

chart hide number in Y axis
Hello I would like to do the following : in the axis of a graph : show the numbers from 1-100, hide the numbers 100-500 and show 500-600 I have been trying to format the axis but there is no option for this I think the only way might be to work wity a secondary y axis Any suggestions ? cheers Petra - Do you want to break the axis between 100 and 500? Try my example: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html or a similar example on Tushar Mehta's site (http://tushar-mehta.com). Do you want to keep the axis, complete with tick marks and the proportional spaci...

Maintain formatting in linked chart title
I am linking an Excel chart title to a named range. Is there any way to maintain the formatting used in the named range in the chart title? On Tue, 15 May 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, chumley <chumley@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I am linking an Excel chart title to a named range. Is there any way to >maintain the formatting used in the named range in the chart title? Not ordinarily. Someone may be able to do it using VBA. -- Del Cotter NB Personal replies to this post will send email to del@branta.demon.co.uk, which goes to a spam folder-- please send...